Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trilobite

The New Miele Upright Cleaner
Original Message   Mar 23, 2008 10:12 pm

Allergy Banner Alt

First upright from Miele

29 February 2008

This summer, Miele will launch its first range of upright vacuum cleaners – the S7.

It will consist of about six models, all of which feature ultra large dust bags and

“a unique swivel body, which makes it easy to manoeuvre in even the trickiest

of room layouts”. According to the company,  the decision was made following

numerous requests from customers that wanted to buy Miele  but would only use

an upright model.

Text: courtesy ERTweekly.com

Picture: courtesy Miele.co.uk, 2009

Edited 21st March 2009; reason: loss of original image.

This message was modified Mar 20, 2009 by Trilobite
Replies: 265 - 274 of 494Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
hbw248

Re: The New Miele Upright Cleaner
Reply #265   Jan 11, 2009 11:12 pm
Venson

The grooves that are located 180 degrees apart on the Miele brushrolls are handy for cutting debris that wraps around it during use. You can either use scissors or gently use a utility knife to cut the threads along the grooves to aid in removal of the debris. I very rarely have to do this with my SEB236 nozzle but it comes in handy when the need arises. After cutting the threads I usually turn the vacuum on full power along with the brush roll to help dislodge and vacuum the debris off the brush roll. 

Bruce

This message was modified Jan 11, 2009 by hbw248
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #266   Jan 12, 2009 12:06 am
Venson wrote:
Hi DC18,

Actually, the brushroll is the same as the one in my Capricorn's 234 power nozzle which has two chevron style rows of firm bristles.  It too has a groove on two sides that runs its length.  As the brushroll appears to be one solid piece,  I haven't figured out what the grooves were intended for.

In my opinion, it does very well on carpet.  Considering the close similarity of the brushrolls, please note that CR has continually  rated Miele canisters with power nozzles as merely  "good" on carpeting but to me the S7 and 5980's performance is very good if not excellent.

Best,

Venson

Has CR ever tested a Miele with the full size power nozzle?  Most of the tests I've seen have been on the little power nozzle.  Sorry I don't recall the model numbers.

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Venson

Reply #267   Jan 12, 2009 1:15 am
hbw248 wrote:
Venson

The grooves that are located 180 degrees apart on the Miele brushrolls are handy for cutting debris that wraps around it during use. You can either use scissors or gently use a utility knife to cut the threads along the grooves to aid in removal of the debris. I very rarely have to do this with my SEB236 nozzle but it comes in handy when the need arises. After cutting the threads I usually turn the vacuum on full power along with the brush roll to help dislodge and vacuum the debris off the brush roll. 

Bruce

Hi hbw248,

Thanks for the information.  That was the last thing I would have thought but it makes perfect sense.

Venson
Venson

Reply #268   Jan 12, 2009 2:12 am
Severus wrote:
Has CR ever tested a Miele with the full size power nozzle?  Most of the tests I've seen have been on the little power nozzle.  Sorry I don't recall the model numbers.

Hi Severus,

I went back to check and I think CR has only tested with the SEB 217 power nozzle as of late.  Miele recommends this model PN with less cleaning swath than the "deluxe"  for low to medium pile.  Nonetheless, the user reviews posted on CR for Miele appear to quite good -- four-and -one-half out of five stars.

The Bosch Formula Electro Duo rated very good at carpet cleaning even though its PN is smaller than Miele's.  The Bosch rated even lower than the Miele due to just a fair rating for tool airflow.  (Three-and-one-half stars out of five user review rating.)

A post or two ago, I misquoted the model number on my PN as SEB 234.  It is SEB 236.  It is recommended for medium to thick pile.  If I had my druthers, I'd tell Miele to make just two versions of the better 236 PN.  One with all the fixings and one minus the light and height adjustment.

Venson
Venson

Reply #269   Jan 25, 2009 6:26 pm
I've been really busy and finally got around to tending to some home stuff today.  Being we've had a recent discussion on stair cleaning I had my Miele Tango upright out today.

My building was put up way, way back in the day and has nine-foot ceilings.  The hall stairs were in need of attention and I took the cleaner down to the our little foyer on the ground floor.  Starting from base of the steps, I was able to  clean almost all the way up except for the very last two treads.  The handle at the back of the machine made the trip down and up again quite easy and as I used it to get at the uppermost treads I'd missed on the way up I was also pleased to find that the extended wheels in the upright position catch nicely on the lip of stair treads and help hold the cleaner in place as you hold the carry-handle and clean with your free hand. 

I used the super-swivelly (forgive the wierd adjective -- I haven't been in the country long) SBB 300 bare floor tool and life was fine and dandy.  It's very maneuverable and great at sucking dust out of corners.  My only comment is that the S7's telescopic wand, while handy, may not be to the liking of taller persons when using a floor tool.  Nonetheless, the single flight of stairs was thoroughly clean and the job done in all of a few minutes.

Best,

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #270   Jan 26, 2009 6:58 am
Hi Venson:

In other words, you're telling us that you are extremely satisfied with your MIELE S7 Tango purchase.  And have no buyer's remorse.  So MIELE has managed to 'wow' you so much, you can't find the words to express yourself!  Try these: Immer besser!

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #271   Jan 26, 2009 7:39 am
Hi Carmine,

This machine remains, so far, a stunner.  I still won't use it without tools on bare floors but I am surprised because I am a hardcore canister fan.  Better yet, I'm happy because it's equally as easy to do all  the things I'd do with the Capricorn and PN.  You're right -- immer besser!

Venson
catlady

Updates to my Miele
Reply #272   Mar 2, 2009 12:16 pm
I have a couple of updates since my review to purchasing my Miele upright.

The hose tore off where it connects to the handle.  This happened while my husband was using it.  I asked him what he was doing and he said he was vacuuming the bathroom floor using the hose and he claims he was not pulling on the hose excessively.  The Vac Shop replaced the hose with a much shorter one that is a disappointment to use.  Before the replacement we could easily vacuum our entire stair case from the floor and have hose leftover.  I could easily use the hose to vacuum my curtains, etc.  Now the vacuum tips if we even pull the hose a little.  I'm not happy with it.  Also the Vac Shop did considerable damage to the area where they had to disconnect the hose to replace it.  There are chunks missing from the plastic around the bottom of the hose.  It looks terrible.

Then the vacuum stopped leaning back.  We took it back in.  They took it apart and put it back together and the problem was resolved.  They are not sure what caused the issue.

I still love the suction of the Miele, but have become very disappointed with the replacement of the hose and the damage done to the vacuum by the Vac Shop.

Melanie

Venson

Reply #273   Mar 2, 2009 1:17 pm
Hi Melanie,

As you may have read, I've bought one too and am loving it. Regarding your hose, I think the bad boys at your vac shop probably did not order another hose from Miele but did a quick fix with what they had on hand.

I am under the impression that they only replaced the flexible portion of the hose and did not replace the hose ends. Correct? I called Miele and on asking was informed that the hose is under warranty. The complete hose assembly is part number 07560900. You should do both of the following:

Call Miele at 800-999-1360 (have your model and serial numbers ready) explain the problem and also supply the customer service rep with the name, phone number, etc., of the dealer who did the repair. Miele will call them to inquire if they used genuine parts. Per the Miele phone rep, in this case the entire hose should have been replaced.

Next, take the vacuum back and tell them you have spoken with Miele and that you've been told the entire hose should have been replaced per warranty and to get off their lazy duffs and do it. Why? Because that's the way to do the job right per the manufacturer. It may take a day or two for them to get the part in but it is not a big deal. I'd have them call me and bring the vacuum in when they have the part. It should require be no more than a two minute deal to do the replacement though Miele informed me that there may be a slight difference in the test model you have to the ones later released.

Get on their case! You have spent too much money to let yourself be short-changed AND this replacement should cost no more than the gas you use to get to and from the shop.

Please let me know how this works out.

Best,

Venson
catlady

Miele Update
Reply #274   Mar 2, 2009 2:44 pm
Thanks.

The entire hose was replaced.  There is a noticeable difference with this new hose.  It seems a bit thinner and more narrow where it connects to the tools.  My husband said the tools are not holding on as well and fall off easily.  He was getting very frustrated because the upholstry tool fell off several times as he was vacuuming the couch and the vacuum kept tipping.  I finally got up to see what the fuss was about (battling a bad cold) and he showed me.  When my husband picked the vacuum up from the Vac Shop, they told him the hose was a little different, but it's the one they are using on the current models and should be similar to the one we had.  I'm not quite sure what to do from here.  I'm also upset by the damage, although I know it was unintentional, it's quite noticeable.  There are chunks of the plastic around where the base of the hose connects cut out.  I did spend a lot on this vacuum and if replacing the hose should have been easy, I don't understand why so much damage was done.  I'm not sure what to do from here.  I hate to be a complainer since I've built a close relationship with the guys at my Vac Shop, but I'm unhappy with this repair.

Melanie

Replies: 265 - 274 of 494Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42