Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trilobite

The New Miele Upright Cleaner
Original Message   Mar 23, 2008 10:12 pm

Allergy Banner Alt

First upright from Miele

29 February 2008

This summer, Miele will launch its first range of upright vacuum cleaners – the S7.

It will consist of about six models, all of which feature ultra large dust bags and

“a unique swivel body, which makes it easy to manoeuvre in even the trickiest

of room layouts”. According to the company,  the decision was made following

numerous requests from customers that wanted to buy Miele  but would only use

an upright model.

Text: courtesy ERTweekly.com

Picture: courtesy Miele.co.uk, 2009

Edited 21st March 2009; reason: loss of original image.

This message was modified Mar 20, 2009 by Trilobite
Replies: 255 - 264 of 494Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: The New Miele Upright Cleaner
Reply #255   Dec 18, 2008 6:53 am
Hello Venson:

Not knowing yet how well they perform, [still have not made it to the MIELE dealer], I can surely say these latest upright vacuums are things of beauty, that for me, would bring joy forever.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #256   Dec 18, 2008 11:10 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Venson:

Not knowing yet how well they perform, [still have not made it to the MIELE dealer], I can surely say these latest upright vacuums are things of beauty, that for me, would bring joy forever.

Carmine D.

Hiya Carmine,

I think they are a thing of beauty too but there seems to too many.  One model each -- top, middle and lower -- would benefit all around and make for better business.  It would then be far less confusing for buyers to make choices. I've reviewed and reviewed the six machines features per the data supplied on the U.S. site.  Of the top three offered, save for a possible small difference of filtering device, there appears to be no differrence.

If the nature of the game is merely to wow us with, "We can give it to you red, black, blue silver or yellow to suit your eye or mood,"  then Miele just needs to say so and life would be just fine by me.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #257   Dec 19, 2008 7:31 am
Hi Venson:

MIELE and other quality brand names are giving people options/choices.  As you said, primarily with color.  It's cheap for them to offer many variations on the theme from low price to high.  Economies of scale.  Perhaps too MIELE, and canister maker for years and years, is making up for lost time.

A similar but not the same comparison is my recent purchases of two new HOOVER TEMPO uprights.  One the traditional Catalina blue from BEST BUY [in store purchase] for $70 and another a new white model from Kohl's at $54 [on-line].  Both perform the same.  Quite well in fact for the prices.  But my color preference in this particular model is for white. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 19, 2008 by CarmineD
RAD1

Reply #258   Dec 19, 2008 9:24 am
Venson wrote:
Hiya Carmine,

I think they are a thing of beauty too but there seems to too many.  One model each -- top, middle and lower -- would benefit all around and make for better business.  It would then be far less confusing for buyers to make choices. I've reviewed and reviewed the six machines features per the data supplied on the U.S. site.  Of the top three offered, save for a possible small difference of filtering device, there appears to be no differrence.

If the nature of the game is merely to wow us with, "We can give it to you red, black, blue silver or yellow to suit your eye or mood,"  then Miele just needs to say so and life would be just fine by me.

Venson

Hi Venson and all - There really isn't too much confusion on these at all - the lower 3 models (S7280) are are all the same except for color (yellow, white, red). The Bolero (black) and Tango (metallic red) are the same besides color - obviously the metallic is additional $$. The Swing (silver) is a limited piece - and these 3 are the S7580 series. So, really there are only 2 "models" with varying color options.

I have a feeling this may change down the road to include different options, as it did with the S4 canisters of Antares, Carina and Capella.
Venson

Reply #259   Jan 7, 2009 8:10 pm
HI all,

It was suggested by a good friend here that I should announce that I too have joined the ranks of the Miele S7 band.  My lips are sealed regarding the price but I was able to get a brand new Tango at a price substantially below the $950 I have seen being asked for them.  (I would not have bought it otherwise.)  Best yet, they threw in a black "S7" tee-shirt which I shall hold for posterity and never wear.

The cleaner itself is quite nice and, in comparison to the Capricorn canister I have, even down to the paint job it better justifies all the expense.  It assembled just like that wnen I got it home.  The handle slips in to a well at the top of the machine and automatically locks into place -- no screws, no nothin'.  Nice long cord and the machine's two small front casters feel as though they're seated on bearings and swivel very, very smoothly.  True to word, the brush roll is able to "float".  There are springs on both sides that maintain a firm downward pull on the brushroll but not so firm as to prohibit its position from being raised on thick carpet.  I mention this because Singer's twin-fan upright (1940s to early 1960s) and one model from General Electric way back in the day had somewhat similar set-ups.  I believe theirs were reliant on gravity and the pull of the drive belt.  In any event, to my recollection of CR's opinion they didn't do well on carpet.

There's a plastic squeegee blade at the back of the brush chamber as opposed to a regular brush strip to coax loose anything adhering to bare flooring should suction fail to do so.  I found no sharp edges on the nozzle plate -- a real sign someone had been thinking.  The suction is impressive but for all the fine tailoring possiblities speed-wise I pushed the "automatic" button (it lights and the display panel dims) and I have been more than happy.

The self-sealing disposable bag is generous in size and its wall are incredibly thick even in comaprison to the ones used in the canister.  The HEPA is easily accessible.

As for the swivel capability -- it's absolutely so cool.  First thing I did with the macine was the downstairs entryway which is narrow and a little cluttered.  A twist of the wrist made turning to right angles no problem at all.  Traveling upstairs again with the machine was interesting.  Apparently, "It's not what you do, it's the way that you do it," actually means something.  If you lift the cleaner from up top by the handle it definitely feels like your picking up twenty pounds.  But -- if you use the handle at the back of the machine to tote it around it feels lighter than it is.  I don't know if that's due to point of balance or what but the machine doesn't feel $#%*bersome to travel with.

When you hit a rug with it it has a slight back-in-the-day Hoover buzz.  Like the pivot action where the hose attaches to the body of the cleaner but haven't had a chance to seriously work above floor with it so for now, that's my news . . .

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #260   Jan 8, 2009 7:35 am
Congrats Venson:

As the saying goes and it is both true and love-filled:  A thing of beauty [in appearance and performance] is a joy forever!  In this case: the MIELE tango!

MIELE-on!

Carmine D.

DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #261   Jan 8, 2009 4:11 pm
Hi Venson

Can I ask what the brush roll is like on the Miele S7, in terms of performance and 'grooming' of the carpet pile?  Does it lift the carpet pile well?  I'm interested to know!

DC18

Venson

Reply #262   Jan 9, 2009 4:56 am
DC18 wrote:
Hi Venson

Can I ask what the brush roll is like on the Miele S7, in terms of performance and 'grooming' of the carpet pile?  Does it lift the carpet pile well?  I'm interested to know!

DC18

Hi DC18,

Actually, the brushroll is the same as the one in my Capricorn's 234 power nozzle which has two chevron style rows of firm bristles.  It too has a groove on two sides that runs its length.  As the brushroll appears to be one solid piece,  I haven't figured out what the grooves were intended for.

In my opinion, it does very well on carpet.  Considering the close similarity of the brushrolls, please note that CR has continually  rated Miele canisters with power nozzles as merely  "good" on carpeting but to me the S7 and 5980's performance is very good if not excellent.

Best,

Venson
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #263   Jan 9, 2009 4:46 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi DC18,

Actually, the brushroll is the same as the one in my Capricorn's 234 power nozzle which has two chevron style rows of firm bristles.  It too has a groove on two sides that runs its length.  As the brushroll appears to be one solid piece,  I haven't figured out what the grooves were intended for.

In my opinion, it does very well on carpet.  Considering the close similarity of the brushrolls, please note that CR has continually  rated Miele canisters with power nozzles as merely  "good" on carpeting but to me the S7 and 5980's performance is very good if not excellent.

Best,

Venson

Hi Venson

Thanks for answering my questions on the Miele S7 brushroll.

DC18

Venson

Reply #264   Jan 9, 2009 6:59 pm
DC18 wrote:
Hi Venson

Thanks for answering my questions on the Miele S7 brushroll.

DC18

You're certainly welcome!

Venson
Replies: 255 - 264 of 494Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42