Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson, In The News...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Dyson, In The News...
Original Message   Sep 11, 2007 5:40 pm

This message was modified Jan 29, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 249 - 258 of 278Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
HARDSELL

Re: Dyson, In The News...
Reply #249   Jun 24, 2008 9:05 pm
CarmineD wrote:
True to a degree.  A customer gets one tune up free per year.  If a blockage occurs, the customer can make that the free yearly tune-up.  No charge.  Or, the blockages are easy for users to correct themselves.  The ORECK Users guide shows clearly with directions and illustrations. 

I've used the Classic XL every day for over a year.  No blockages.  Brush is still brand new.  As are the edge cleaning whiskers.  My dear Wife picked up a quarter by mistake.  No broken fan.  I replace the belt every 6 months.  This is the ORECK store policy.  User Guide says 9 months, I think.  Cost is $3.00 from ORECK, less from a indy.  It is easy for a user to do and the Users Guide illustrates and explains.

Carmine D.

ARE YOU SERIOUS?  Why should the consumer have to clear blockages on a $800 vacuum or have to take the vacuum in as a warranty issue to have a belt installed.  I suppose that if anything happens within a few days or a month after the belt has been installed the customer can simply pay for the 2nd occurance that year.

You have been so critical of any petty issue involving Dyson, however it is permissable for the Oreck customer to have to refer to the manual to clear clogs and replace belts.  Dyson comes with a manual and the owner can do the same.  You can't have double standards.

FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP. 

HARDSELL

Reply #250   Jun 24, 2008 9:12 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Generally you quote me HS, but this time you didn't.  Please go back to my posts on these several occasions.  On the ORECK thread.  My words are to this effect and I paraphrase: 

I don't believe negative ORECK reviews from anonymous posters.  I prefer my own personal and professional experience and those of people I know with ORECK-s. 

All rational consumers would think and say the same as me above.  Except you.  That's the reason I qualified my statement with 'rational.'   For the benefit of people like you who praise a bagless brand endlessly then sell it, and/or return a newly purchased one because they are dissatisfied with it.  With the sales proceeds/store credit buy and use a bagged brand instead that they like less.  And then try to justify the mistake by giving similar examples of mistakes in judgments from 40 years ago. 

Carmine D.

I kept the Dyson for 3 years the Oreck for 1 week.  I have said that the Royal an the Kirby are very good vacuums.  I never once claimed Dyson to be the best vacuum on the market.  It is as good as the best and suerior to Hoover and Oreck IMO and that is all that matters in my home.

Oh yeah, my wife did not have to coach me as your did.

dusty

Reply #251   Jun 24, 2008 10:06 pm
CarmineD wrote:
 All the dysons with the better star ratings are discounted from MSRP, substantially.  The DC16 dyson with the worse rating [2.5 stars] is not.   Full MSRP of $149.  18 dyson vacuums with beautiful star ratings get discounted from MSRP.  One dyson with the worse does not.  Anyone else find that interesting?  Anyone find it absurd?  Laughable?

A flaw to your theory, sir.  The ratings are from Epinions and date back many years, back when people were paying full list price for Dyson product.  Perhaps your theory holds true to the last year or two, but before that it was full ticket on the product.

Dusty
dusty

Reply #252   Jun 24, 2008 10:20 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Dusty:

I use to tell my vacuum customers that a vacuum will live a long life with a little care and love, but it will surely die a costly death without it.  Do you tell your customers the same?

Do you charge labor to replace an ORECK belt?

Carmine D.

I tell them the same, whether they choose to listen is another story.  When you also consider that many vacs are purchased online or in big box stores with NO sales help it's not hard to see where problems could arise.

Yep, we usually charge to replace a belt, Oreck or otherwise.  Sometimes if it's as simple as just changing a belt it's no charge but usually we end up cleaning the roller and pulling all the hair and thread out of the end bearings.

Do the oreck stores charge when it's not part of the one year tune up?

Dusty
HARDSELL

Reply #253   Jun 24, 2008 10:34 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Let me clarify with another reason why I found the dyson DC16 epinions interesting.  Especially as it relates to bestbuys.com.  All the dysons with the better star ratings are discounted from MSRP, substantially.  The DC16 dyson with the worse rating [2.5 stars] is not.   Full MSRP of $149.  18 dyson vacuums with beautiful star ratings get discounted from MSRP.  One dyson with the worse does not.  Anyone else find that interesting?  Anyone find it absurd?  Laughable?

I'll answer my own question.  Yes, dyson USA does.  Why?  Because it discounts the DC16 by $100 if you buy another dyson.  Other retailers will too or giveaway. 

Carmine D.

The most laughable thing for me is that the Dysons rate higher than Oreck.

I would expect a $400 to $500 itemto be on sale before a $149 item.

CarmineD

Reply #254   Jun 25, 2008 7:12 am
Dusty:

Like you who may or may not charge to replace a belt, ORECK stores do the same.  I suspect ORECK customers with the top of line model do not pay for belt changes and blockages at many stores in/out of the annual tune ups [two of the repairs you mentioned].  Is that the stated policy?  No.  But it is good business. 

For ORECK these above repairs are minor.  Done by the users in most cases in no time.  For other vacuum brands including big box stores, they are not minor.  The vacuums have to be taken into a store and be done for a fee.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 25, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #255   Jun 25, 2008 7:20 am
dusty wrote:
A flaw to your theory, sir.  The ratings are from Epinions and date back many years, back when people were paying full list price for Dyson product.  Perhaps your theory holds true to the last year or two, but before that it was full ticket on the product.

Dusty

The dyson models like the DC17, for $400 [MSRP of $549], the DC18 for $369 [MSRP is $469], and the DC16 for $149 all are 2 years old.  DC17 and 18 get beautiful star ratings and the latter is dyson's top sku.  $100 off.  DC17 is a CR top rated.  $169 off.  DC 16 a dud, full MSRP $149.  Looks good to discount/giveaway at $149 rather than $25.  The latter is its true market value IMHO. Unfortunately the batteries cost $45.  If you can get them.

BTW, also different than past, the DC24/25 [dyson's latest and greatest] just a month from launch are already getting advertised by retailers at discounts and with buyer incentives. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #256   Jun 25, 2008 7:39 am
dusty wrote:
When you also consider that many vacs are purchased online or in big box stores with NO sales help it's not hard to see where problems could arise.

Dusty

Dusty:

I would charge these customers for the minor repairs you mentioned [like belts and installation and blockages] that I would not charge my regular customers [bought the vacuum from me and so have friends and family members].  

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #257   Jun 25, 2008 8:02 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Dyson comes with a manual and the owner can do the same.  You can't have double standards.

HS:

Compare a dyson Users Manual to an ORECK and tell me honestly what you think.  The dyson is a tome written by a task force of engineers.  The ORECK is 5 pages in clear, precise, and simple English with illustrations.  Dyson devotes more than 2 pages just to dumping the dirt bin. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #258   Jun 25, 2008 8:31 am
HARDSELL wrote:
ARE YOU SERIOUS?  Why should the consumer have to clear blockages on a $800 vacuum or have to take the vacuum in as a warranty issue to have a belt installed. 

HS:

Dusty and I answer this question, seriously.  Here is the message exchange for you to read again.

Dusty:

I use to tell my vacuum customers that a vacuum will live a long life with a little care and love, but it will surely die a costly death without it.  Do you tell your customers the same?

Carmine D.

I tell them the same, whether they choose to listen is another story.  When you also consider that many vacs are purchased online or in big box stores with NO sales help it's not hard to see where problems could arise.

Carmine D.

Replies: 249 - 258 of 278Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42