Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Misbehaving Murray

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
borat

Misbehaving Murray
Original Message   Jan 20, 2013 8:37 pm
So we got the 12" of snow I've been wanting.  Took the Murray out and did my driveway two times.  Once during the storm the other after.  So, each time there was only five or six inches of snow on the driveway.

A neighbour was out of town for the weekend and I told him I'd clear his driveway prior to them coming home.  I waited for the storm to finish then tackled his driveway this morning.   I started off by using his 11 h.p. 30" Craftsman.  Got fuel - check, oil OK - check, fired it up  and it was running rough.  Adjusted the carb a bit and it smoothed out.  Noticed machine listing badly to the left.  Flat tire.  Look for pump.  No pump.  Back home to get mine.  Tire inflated, lets go to work. 

His machine is the second worst snowblower I have ever used.  The worst one was the first Craftsman that I owned and had bought used.   Absolute junk.  This machine is only marginally better and it's maybe ten years old.  First problem was the deflector was seized in the fully up position.  Real nice on a freezing, windy day.  Secondly was the chute would not stay put.  It would swing like a freaking weather vane unless I kept one hand on the crank to hold it.  I needed three hands to operate this thing.  I tried to find a bungee to lock in place but was out of luck.  I made three miserable passes and cleared the EOD then parked that miserable s.o.b. back in his garage then go back home to get the Murray. 

I go to fill the Murray and the gas cap is frozen in place.  Get the big channel locks to take it off.  I fill it and take it out to fire it up.  The g-damn key is missing and it's the only one I have.  I feel around in the snow and by sheer luck, I find it.  I immediately get a piece of wire and fasten it to the key and the other end to the machine.  Turn the key and go to pump the primer.  It's frozen.  Bust off the ice, warm up the primer, fire the machine up and drag it the two or three hundred feet over to the neighbour's driveway.  Everything is going fine..... for a while.  Then the paddles stop turning when I push into deep snow???  WTH?  Pull it back and the paddles turn fine.  Go into snow, they stop.  I figure something must have sheared or slipped.  Back to my garage, park it and pull the Craftsman from the back shed.  Fuel it, fire it up and finish the neighbour's driveway with no issues. 

I take the Murray into the basement to inspect and repair.  I pull the side panel off and find the driven pulley completely encased in ice......again.  I thought that I had remedied this problem the first time it happened.   Apparently not.   Upon close inspection, I found that what was probably happening was more to do with what I was doing in relationship to the design of the machine.  While i was working in the deep, light snow, I'd drag the machine backward while snow was falling from the sides into the path of the machine.  Snow would funnel up, between the wheels and into openings between the plastic housing and the engine mount right into the pulley compartment.  The more I dragged it backward in snow, the more snow would get in.  I put the machine back together, found some aluminum tape and covered the openings to the pulley compartment on the underside, put in another screw to tighten up the pulley cover joint and took it out to do the back yard.  Worked great.  So, if anyone out there has a slipping auger on their Murray, that's probably where the problem will be.

When the Murray is working, it's the best of the three Tecumseh powered machines I have.  Hopefully that the end of the problems for a while.      
Replies: 1 - 16 of 16View as Outline
MN_Runner

Re: Misbehaving Murray
Reply #1   Jan 20, 2013 9:40 pm
How come you are not using your beloved (or neglected) Toro 221Q?  Is it hard to choose when you have so many snowblowers?  I have a similar problem with my bicycles.  I have a fleet of five but can only ride one at a time and end up putting 4000-5000 miles on one bike and other five gets less than 100-200 miles each.  Now that I have gotten a Honda SS, my two stage will not get too much time with me untles we get over 6" of snow.
borat

Reply #2   Jan 21, 2013 9:01 am
MN_Runner wrote:
How come you are not using your beloved (or neglected) Toro 221Q?  Is it hard to choose when you have so many snowblowers?

The Toro is effective but boring.  The engine runs at a constant 4000 rpm and I find it far less entertaining than using a machine that has variable throttle input.  The Tecumseh powered machines are also lighter and out-throw the Toro by quite a margin as well. 

The Toro hasn't seen much action since I bought it.  I keep it handy for occasions when I'm not around and either my wife or the neighbour's wife have to fend for themselves if the guys are away in winter.  They won't even attempt to use the dual stage machines and will resort to using the Toro only when absolutely necessary. 
trouts2

Reply #3   Jan 21, 2013 11:24 am

Borat,

I like running the bigger SS’s but the little Boratified machine is fun to use.  I like the chainsaw throttling.  For tougher sections I max it out for very short periods probably 5,500 or 6,000 rpm.  It’s really screaming.   It bugs me to not have a throttle and have the things run hard when cold.  I usually keep the choke on and let them blubber for a while at lower rpm before running them full. 

You might like one of the bigger 4 cycle machines.   MTD and Murry have had them for a few years now so there might be some used ones around for a good price.

borat

Reply #4   Jan 21, 2013 12:31 pm
trouts2 wrote:

Borat,

I like running the bigger SS’s but the little Boratified machine is fun to use.  I like the chainsaw throttling.  For tougher sections I max it out for very short periods probably 5,500 or 6,000 rpm.  It’s really screaming.   It bugs me to not have a throttle and have the things run hard when cold.  I usually keep the choke on and let them blubber for a while at lower rpm before running them full. 

You might like one of the bigger 4 cycle machines.   MTD and Murry have had them for a few years now so there might be some used ones around for a good price.

I do the same thing when I fire them up.  I keep them on choke until I hear the engine getting lumpy then I take the choke off.  I also use a 32:1 premix for additional lubrication.  It's good for when the engine is cold and also helpful when run at high speeds.   Having the equivalent of a throttle is a nice feature that I really appreciate.    

I'm sure the new four cycle SS machines are nice.  However, I know there isn't one in my immediate future as long as I have at least one two cycle powered machine.  To me, bigger isn't really better.  Yesterday, I just lifted the Murray and carried it up the stairs to the house then rolled down the stairs into the basement.   Being only around 60 lbs. with no fuel in it, makes it easy enough to move around.  I doubt it would be as easy with a new four stroke machine.

Damn cold here today.  It was -36 with the wind chill this morning.  Going to be like that for a few more days due to unseasonally cold temperatures and brisk winds. 
aa335

Reply #5   Jan 21, 2013 12:34 pm
borat wrote:
The Toro is effective but boring.  . 

Two of my 4-stroke machines are effective as well.  I don't have any snow to use so far this year to classify them as boring.  Both of them are same engine design, Honda GX160 platform, pushrod OHV, they don't l ike to be Boratified, or at least my hearing doesn't agree to what kind of strain the engine is undergoing.  There's a lot of sound that tells me I should leave the RPM alone.  One engine is too expensive to blow up, the other one is too new to blow up.

Anyways, I'm looking for some excitement of Boratifiying the little Toro Powerlite.  It should be interesting to boost this litte wasp nest of an engine.  It has the Tecumseh 98cc engine.  Is it easy to Boratifiy an engine with a air vane governor?  With the little amount of snow we've been getting, I think only this Powerlite will be seeing any snow action this year.  I like working on the Powerlite, so simple to open up and service.
borat

Reply #6   Jan 21, 2013 1:28 pm
Vane governors are a pain.  Super light spring isn't easy to work with. 

Personally, I'd disconnect the vane spring, and connect a cable/wire directly to the butterfly lever to actuate the throttle.  I'd use stronger spring to pull the throttle back to desired low speed setting.  It will be a bit trickier than with the TH139 or HSK engine which are very easy to set up.  You'll have to do a bit of trial and error to get it right.  Good luck.  Let us know what you do with it.
MN_Runner

Reply #7   Jan 21, 2013 4:54 pm
aa335 wrote:
Both of them are same engine design, Honda GX160 platform, pushrod OHV, they don't l ike to be Boratified, or at least my hearing doesn't agree to what kind of strain the engine is undergoing.  There's a lot of sound that tells me I should leave the RPM alone.  One engine is too expensive to blow up, the other one is too new to blow up.

I agree with AA335, which is the reason why I have not bother operating my SS at much higher RPM.  It just does not sound right much above the current setting. Some engines sound great at high RPM but my GC160 is not one of them.  Maybe it is a good thing that Borat's 221Q is not agreeing to high RPM for self preservation.
trouts2

Reply #8   Jan 21, 2013 5:13 pm

>>Super light spring isn't easy to work with.

Yes, mine was fairly easy to hook up but a pain to control well with the string.  Idle and max are ok but getting a steady RPM in between is tough.   (My driveway is the problem as it’s bumpy and the machine always bouncing around.)    My setup was a test lashup and never gotten back to.  Now that I’ve gotten some test time I like chainsaw operation and being able to idle it often when clearing.   The next shot will be a better setup.

>>I'm looking for some excitement of Boratifiying the little Toro Powerlite.

Mine is a Powerlite and easy to setup but with the problems above.   Tough to go on a suggestion but you’ll probably like the setup.   Even if you don’t like the screaming max which takes time to get used to you’ll like being able to idle it for long walk-backs.   I think it was jtrbor that mounted a trigger on the top of the handlebar where the hands go.  That would be nice if a suitable smooth setup could be gotten for the right angle string bend going out of the cover.    

With just a string to pull against the governor spring tension the action is very light so with gloves on which are spongy and the machine shaking getting a stable pull for stable rpm very difficult. 

BTW: My 4 cycle SS definitely won’t get the RPM mod.  But 2450’s and 3650’s no problem.  I’m trying to buy a 2450 today.   If I paid full price for a bigger Toro 2 cycle I’d be hesitant about mod’ing it.   Plenty of less expensive Murrays and MTS’s around that have good engines for mucking around.

aa335

Reply #9   Jan 21, 2013 5:59 pm
>>Personally, I'd disconnect the vane spring, and connect a cable/wire directly to the butterfly lever to actuate the throttle.  I'd use stronger spring to pull the throttle back to desired low speed setting.

>> I think it was jtrbor that mounted a trigger on the top of the handlebar where the hands go.

Thanks for the input.  I'd probaby get a lawn mower throttle control assembly sold at hardware stores with a strong return spring.  The Powerlite is lightweight and does bounce quite around quite a bit, so I need something that can smoothly modulate the throttle.

>>I agree with AA335, which is the reason why I have not bother operating my SS at much higher RPM.

I think these engines are designed to operatate within a certain RPM for longetivity, noise, and fuel consumption.  I don't think it's designed or tuned to rev up and down like a racing engine.  I go by what I hear.  There was a lot of vibrations and I'm not sure if there is valve float at higher RPM.  The whole machine shooked pretty violently and I'm pretty sure if I keep it up, a lot of screws and fasteners will spin right off.  No fun snowblowing at high RPM if I have to stop and pick up parts.  :)

>>His machine is the second worst snowblower I have ever used.  The worst one was the first Craftsman that I owned and had bought used.   Absolute junk.  This machine is only marginally better and it's maybe ten years old.  First problem was the deflector was seized in the fully up position.  Real nice on a freezing, windy day.  Secondly was the chute would not stay put.  It would swing like a freaking weather vane unless I kept one hand on the crank to hold it.  I needed three hands to operate this thing.  I tried to find a bungee to lock in place but was out of luck.  I made three miserable passes and cleared the EOD then parked that miserable s.o.b. back in his garage then go back home to get the Murray. 

I find it disturbing to hear such a poorly maintained snowblower, especially for someone living in such an high snowfall area.  I have well-maintained equipment with redundancy in case of failures, most of which are factory stock, no mods, just a mild case of OCD in me.

MN_Runner

Reply #10   Jan 21, 2013 6:23 pm
borat

Reply #11   Jan 21, 2013 7:39 pm
aa335

Reply #12   Jan 22, 2013 12:01 am
borat wrote:
You brought up a good point.  My first year of 2 stage snowblower ownership was quite frustrating.  Even though it was a brand new machine and I didn't have any mechanical problems, the skid shoes and scraper bar wasn't properly adjusted to the conditions of my driveway.  The snowblower was very sensitive to the surface.  It pulled side to side as well, I was fighting to keep it going straight.  My wrist, forearm, and legs got quite a good workout.  All the time, I was thinking to myself that I bought a machine to do the work, but it was a lot of work just guiding it around.  It was like driving a high power race car, twitchy and temperamental.  After the year's experience, I made it a point to have the machine properly maintained and set up perfectly.  During the winter season, I would actually tweak it a little to see how the change affect the way it steers.

But after some time, I come to realize that a 2 stage snowblower will always be a beast that is harder to for me to tame as I get older.  An 11 HP, 32 inch wide, 350 pound tracked snowblower with a solid axle is such a beast.  I've seen a 36" wide Simplicity snowblower and I don't envy the owner/operator at all.  Good thing Simplicity don't make those things anymore.  This machine would make the cliche "bigger is better" an oxymoron.  I did envy the neighbor's single stage Toro 221QR when I saw how easily he was able to handle the machine in moderate snowfall of 8 inches or less.  Seeing is believing so I got myself a single stage snowblower to handle 95% of my typical snow.  I still keep the "beast" around for the big snowstorms.  At those time, I appreciate how raw and and capable it is at breaking down that 28" EOD wall.  There is also that thrill of seeing a plume of snow 30-40 feet up in the air landing across the street.  But for 95% of the time, the "beast" stays hibernating in the warm garage.  I'm okay with that.  I'm happy using the SS and it doesn't over power me. 
borat

Reply #13   Jan 24, 2013 6:03 pm
As they say, ignorance is bliss.  Prior to buying my first used SS machine, I had no experience nor understanding of how well they could work.  Of course, when I brought the Craftsman home and experienced how lame it was I was less than impressed.  Hence jacking up the engine.  Thereafter, it was very impressive until the motor mount started to crack, causing misalignment of the pulleys and inevitable belt destruction.  Once I fixed the engine mount and put on a new belt, the machine has seen a great deal of work, has been very reliable and effective.  The last time I used it however, I found that the chute was reluctant to turn.  So, down to the basement again.  First off, the hole that the chute protrudes through in the cowling was fairly off centre causing tightness on one side and a gap on the other.  I balanced that out by taking material off of the tight side with a dremmel.  I noticed that the real problem was how the crank spiral interacted with the notches in the chute.  It was too far out.  So I loosened the two screws that hold the crank mechanism, shifted it inward about 1/4 inch and it's working great.  Another thing I noticed is that the orignal engine mount is cracked right through and the only thing holding is the mount I made.  Seems to be holding up well enough.

Anyway, getting back to the point, if you've never used a well running SS machine, you're in for a pleasant surprise when you decide to try one.
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #14   Jan 26, 2013 9:30 pm
BR>
Borat wrote: Anyway, getting back to the point, if you've never used a well running SS machine, you're in for a pleasant surprise when you decide to try one.

I agree with you except for the ope with a steep drive such is the case by me it is down right dangerous. It's like being pulled by a large dog and you just want to see that ride end. Ask me how I know.
This message was modified Jan 26, 2013 by hirschallan

borat

Reply #15   Jan 27, 2013 9:52 am
I know what you're saying.  My driveway has an 10:1 grade.  Not terrifically steep but certainly noticeable.  I had to reduce the engine rpm on the Toro 221 because it pulled too hard going down hill and was treacherous to control.  Slowing the machine down by one one or two hundred rpm helped.  With the modified machines, it's not an issue.  They don't bite as hard as the Toro and are much easier to control.  On the other hand, going up hill they require a bit of encouragement.
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #16   Jan 27, 2013 10:27 am
borat wrote:
I know what you're saying.  My driveway has an 10:1 grade.  Not terrifically steep but certainly noticeable.  I had to reduce the engine rpm on the Toro 221 because it pulled too hard going down hill and was treacherous to control.  Slowing the machine down by one one or two hundred rpm helped.  With the modified machines, it's not an issue.  They don't bite as hard as the Toro and are much easier to control.  On the other hand, going up hill they require a bit of encouragement.

+2

Replies: 1 - 16 of 16View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42