Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Misbehaving Murray

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
borat

Misbehaving Murray
Original Message   Jan 20, 2013 8:37 pm
So we got the 12" of snow I've been wanting.  Took the Murray out and did my driveway two times.  Once during the storm the other after.  So, each time there was only five or six inches of snow on the driveway.

A neighbour was out of town for the weekend and I told him I'd clear his driveway prior to them coming home.  I waited for the storm to finish then tackled his driveway this morning.   I started off by using his 11 h.p. 30" Craftsman.  Got fuel - check, oil OK - check, fired it up  and it was running rough.  Adjusted the carb a bit and it smoothed out.  Noticed machine listing badly to the left.  Flat tire.  Look for pump.  No pump.  Back home to get mine.  Tire inflated, lets go to work. 

His machine is the second worst snowblower I have ever used.  The worst one was the first Craftsman that I owned and had bought used.   Absolute junk.  This machine is only marginally better and it's maybe ten years old.  First problem was the deflector was seized in the fully up position.  Real nice on a freezing, windy day.  Secondly was the chute would not stay put.  It would swing like a freaking weather vane unless I kept one hand on the crank to hold it.  I needed three hands to operate this thing.  I tried to find a bungee to lock in place but was out of luck.  I made three miserable passes and cleared the EOD then parked that miserable s.o.b. back in his garage then go back home to get the Murray. 

I go to fill the Murray and the gas cap is frozen in place.  Get the big channel locks to take it off.  I fill it and take it out to fire it up.  The g-damn key is missing and it's the only one I have.  I feel around in the snow and by sheer luck, I find it.  I immediately get a piece of wire and fasten it to the key and the other end to the machine.  Turn the key and go to pump the primer.  It's frozen.  Bust off the ice, warm up the primer, fire the machine up and drag it the two or three hundred feet over to the neighbour's driveway.  Everything is going fine..... for a while.  Then the paddles stop turning when I push into deep snow???  WTH?  Pull it back and the paddles turn fine.  Go into snow, they stop.  I figure something must have sheared or slipped.  Back to my garage, park it and pull the Craftsman from the back shed.  Fuel it, fire it up and finish the neighbour's driveway with no issues. 

I take the Murray into the basement to inspect and repair.  I pull the side panel off and find the driven pulley completely encased in ice......again.  I thought that I had remedied this problem the first time it happened.   Apparently not.   Upon close inspection, I found that what was probably happening was more to do with what I was doing in relationship to the design of the machine.  While i was working in the deep, light snow, I'd drag the machine backward while snow was falling from the sides into the path of the machine.  Snow would funnel up, between the wheels and into openings between the plastic housing and the engine mount right into the pulley compartment.  The more I dragged it backward in snow, the more snow would get in.  I put the machine back together, found some aluminum tape and covered the openings to the pulley compartment on the underside, put in another screw to tighten up the pulley cover joint and took it out to do the back yard.  Worked great.  So, if anyone out there has a slipping auger on their Murray, that's probably where the problem will be.

When the Murray is working, it's the best of the three Tecumseh powered machines I have.  Hopefully that the end of the problems for a while.      
Replies: 1 - 16 of 16View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 16 of 16View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42