Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Johnson 4hp outboard cooling question

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
trouts2

Johnson 4hp outboard cooling question
Original Message   Aug 5, 2012 2:44 pm
Hello Crew,

Hope you are all enjoying your summer and anticipating a drift filled winter.

I have a 1987 4hp Johnson model J4BRHCUD two stroke (original owner) with fairly low hours over the years.  It still has the original plugs, runs fine and usually starts on the first pull when I remember to choke it.

Yesterday after a fairly long run full speed for about 3/4 of an hour the engine head felt very hot.   What happened was it ran to a stop after a few seconds from top speed.  I reached around to the head and it was hot.  I waited about a minute and after 6-7  pulls it started.  I went slow for a few minutes then up to 3/4 and got back running at 3/4 after about 5 minutes.  It ran fine for that time.

Does the head being anything but cool to the touch indicate a problem with this motor or impeller?   It had the right mix of gas 50:1 and right oil...I think TWC3 outboard oil.    When I run for a long time with my 1991 2hp the head is always cool. 
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42