Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Johnson 4hp outboard cooling question

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
trouts2

Johnson 4hp outboard cooling question
Original Message   Aug 5, 2012 2:44 pm
Hello Crew,

Hope you are all enjoying your summer and anticipating a drift filled winter.

I have a 1987 4hp Johnson model J4BRHCUD two stroke (original owner) with fairly low hours over the years.  It still has the original plugs, runs fine and usually starts on the first pull when I remember to choke it.

Yesterday after a fairly long run full speed for about 3/4 of an hour the engine head felt very hot.   What happened was it ran to a stop after a few seconds from top speed.  I reached around to the head and it was hot.  I waited about a minute and after 6-7  pulls it started.  I went slow for a few minutes then up to 3/4 and got back running at 3/4 after about 5 minutes.  It ran fine for that time.

Does the head being anything but cool to the touch indicate a problem with this motor or impeller?   It had the right mix of gas 50:1 and right oil...I think TWC3 outboard oil.    When I run for a long time with my 1991 2hp the head is always cool. 
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
trouts2

Re: Johnson 4hp outboard cooling question
Reply #1   Aug 5, 2012 9:17 pm
   Resolved, mostly.
   I did not think I had a test barrel here at the camp but later fount that a big plastic trash barrel would work with some wooden stiffeners.  It looks like the impeller is working fine as there is the expected spitting out of water with the exhaust (where is should on these models). 

It might happen it will heat up after a big run but after some reading online I think some heat could be expected with this model like you can touch the head for a short time and not get burnt.  It does not heat up where the paint browns or you burn your fingers so I think it's probably normal to feel heat on the head.  Just running in the tank at low speed for 5 minutes it's cool so I'll keep and eye one it by feeling the head temp now and then when I take trips.

Haven't had any snow up here all summer.
friiy

Reply #2   Aug 5, 2012 9:18 pm
Kinda hard to say how hot it should get...  

But more than likly your water pump is worn out.    It looks and is made like those water pumps that fit on a drill ,   What happens is the rubber sits in one place for a while and the pump  fold over and will not pump water...

When I worked at a boat shop we wouldn't let them go any longer than 6 years on a motor.  

I am afraid that the only way to check it is to take it apart,   sometimes the pump will lose a arm and clog  a port.

Good luck Trouts,

Friiy

Bill_H

Reply #3   Aug 5, 2012 9:32 pm
"Haven't had any snow up here all summer." Here, either! Sucks don't it? Sure would be nice to be able to use the snowblower in shorts and a T shirt!

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
aa335

Reply #4   Aug 6, 2012 12:15 pm
Bill_H wrote:
"Haven't had any snow up here all summer." Here, either! Sucks don't it? Sure would be nice to be able to use the snowblower in shorts and a T shirt!

LOL

I concur, no snow here all summer. 
borat

Reply #5   Aug 6, 2012 7:59 pm
You might want to look at the thermostat (if it has one).  Depending on what temperature it's rated for, it might get hotter than what you're used to.  All of my outboard engines are fairly warm to the touch when operated at any speed.  In the spring, with cold water, it takes longer for the thermostats to open and will close sooner if there isn't enough heat generated to keep the thermostats open.  If you have a failed impeller, you'll know it.  More often than not when a vane breaks off the impeller, it will block the intake hole, which will starve the engine of cooling water and possibly lead to seizure.  Changing an impeller is an easy enough job to do.  However, re-assembling the gear shift mechanism is where you can have trouble if you don't make note of where it's set ahead of time.  Depending on the make and model, the gear shift mechanism may have a long adjustment nut that's used to set the linkage at the correct length for smooth shifting.  Before you take the bottom end off, use a Sharpy to mark where the threads at each end of the adjustment nut.  When re-assembling, refer to the marks to set the adjustment nut then lock it down. 
mkd55

Reply #6   Aug 10, 2012 9:51 pm
borat!  have you ever run the motor thru shallow water with a lot of mud.if you run the lower unit thru the shallows alot it can chew up the water pump.the impeller is splined to the shaft with a bronze bushing and if the mud is left in the pump it will dry.once started the vanes can't turn and the bushing shears away from the vanes.my experience with the pumps is they usually loose there prime at idle and above that pump enough to cool the engine for a while till the pump goes completely.even though it's a water cooled engine there is heat and it does get hot to the touch.years ago we use to fish the rivers in the winter as long as we had open water.my first experience with a pump starting to go bad was when we were backtrolling with an 18 hp 2 cycle evinrude. we were going slow in reverse just barely moving the boat and the water would randomly splash up a little higher  on the lower unit and you could here the water turning to steam from the heat.just reving the engine above idle would be enough for the pump impeller to start circulating water again.fyi  that small a motor it's a good idea to completely run it out of fuel for storage because there is a 2" long plastic idle pick up tube that gets gummed up if not run dry.once this happens it will not run on the idle circuit . since 1989 my boat gets used once a week in canada and since my 6 hp idle circuit got plugged now every year i run both the 6hp and 40 hp completely out of gas before coming home. that happened in the early 90's and i've not had any problems since. 
This message was modified Aug 10, 2012 by mkd55
borat

Reply #7   Aug 13, 2012 5:17 pm
"borat!  have you ever run the motor thru shallow water with a lot of mud."

I've run my engines in loonsh!t which is similar to mud but much thinner.   I prefer to avoid it and use oars.   However, if I do run the engine in anything that might block the cooling system, I flush the engine througly, usually on the lake or river. 
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42