Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Best Snow thrower or Electric shovel for doing a Roof

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Steve_Cebu

Best Snow thrower or Electric shovel for doing a Roof
Original Message   Jan 28, 2011 3:50 pm
I'm looking for something that would be good for doing our roof. obviously the big 2 stage Toro won't be able to do it and would be a PITA to get up a ladder or out a window.

We have a new roof so I don't want to hurt the roof but the snow is really built up out there and it tends to melt very slowly. We are heading into Feb and lots more snow so I need something light enough and easy to manuever to use up there. The roof is pretty steep and in one section windows are mounted in the roof so that area might not be possible. They want a fortune to clear it and only the lesser section so I need something. Electric would probably be ok but it has to have enough power and the roof is pretty steep and high.

Any ideas?

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Replies: 54 - 63 of 71Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Oneplay

Re: Best Snow thrower or Electric shovel for doing a Roof
Reply #54   Feb 13, 2011 3:27 pm
Well its not quite what you had in mind...

You tube Video titled:  Snow Removal On Roof with Chainsaw and Snowblower.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDYCjBtYnaM
borat

Reply #55   Feb 13, 2011 4:14 pm
I tried to open the Youtube video and was sent to a page to link my Youtube account with a Google account.   I wasn't pleased with that but filled in the information to apply for a Youtube/Google link account just the same.  It then brought up a page requesting a cell phone number to have a verification code sent to. 

That was the last straw!!!  Not going to do it.  That's a bunch of b.s.  What ever happened to using an email address for verification?  

Google is asking a bit too much wanting to know your cell phone number.    Anyone else have this problem?

Has anyone here used Metacafe.com for posting vids?  Looks like a viable alternative to Youtube.
This message was modified Feb 13, 2011 by borat
Steve_Cebu

Reply #56   Feb 13, 2011 5:06 pm
Oneplay wrote:
Well its not quite what you had in mind...

You tube Video titled:  Snow Removal On Roof with Chainsaw and Snowblower.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDYCjBtYnaM

I had no problem with teh video by cutting and pasting the link. Yeah that guy was something. Still as he said that's more a deck than a roof. The chainsaw was OTT but guys ice sculpt with them so I guess it's ok.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Paul7

Reply #57   Feb 13, 2011 5:13 pm
borat wrote:
I tried to open the Youtube video and was sent to a page to link my Youtube account with a Google account.   I wasn't pleased with that but filled in the information to apply for a Youtube/Google link account just the same.  It then brought up a page requesting a cell phone number to have a verification code sent to. 

That was the last straw!!!  Not going to do it.  That's a bunch of b.s.  What ever happened to using an email address for verification?  

Google is asking a bit too much wanting to know your cell phone number.    Anyone else have this problem?

Has anyone here used Metacafe.com for posting vids?  Looks like a viable alternative to Youtube.

I just cut a pasted the link with no problems.  

Usually when a site asks me for my cell phone number, for no good reason, I don't have a problem giving it to them.  123 456 7890
borat

Reply #58   Feb 13, 2011 5:22 pm
Paul7 wrote:
I just cut a pasted the link with no problems.  

Usually when a site asks me for my cell phone number, for no good reason, I don't have a problem giving it to them.  123 456 7890

The problem with giving them a fictitious phone no. is that you will not receive their authorization code allowing you to use Youtube.

On their help page for the Youtube/Google linking process, there's a place for a person to put in their "comments".  I put in some scathing comments regarding the intrusive aspects of their verification method and for some reason, I now have access to Youtube. 
This message was modified Feb 13, 2011 by borat
Shryp

Reply #59   Feb 15, 2011 11:30 am
aa335

Reply #60   Feb 15, 2011 2:11 pm
Shryp wrote:

Why toy with an electric shovel when you can use a hydraulic shovel?  I hope that bucket can reach a little farther than 15 feet. 
amazer98

Reply #61   Feb 15, 2011 6:06 pm
aa335 wrote:
Why toy with an electric shovel when you can use a hydraulic shovel?  I hope that bucket can reach a little farther than 15 feet. 

I'm not familiar with all the nuances of removing snow off a roof, but why not simply drive this rig up a ramp and onto the porch roof?  From there, it could easily reach the far areas of the upper roof with its bucket and deposit the snow onto the ground. The metal roof should be able to withstand the tire treads, don't you think?
aa335

Reply #62   Feb 15, 2011 6:48 pm
amazer98 wrote:
I'm not familiar with all the nuances of removing snow off a roof, but why not simply drive this rig up a ramp and onto the porch roof?  From there, it could easily reach the far areas of the upper roof with its bucket and deposit the snow onto the ground. The metal roof should be able to withstand the tire treads, don't you think?

Yeah, I the metal roof should be able to hold up the tire threads, it's the rest of the tractor weight and the loose nut behind the steering wheel that I worry about. 
amazer98

Reply #63   Feb 15, 2011 7:27 pm
aa335 wrote:
Yeah, I the metal roof should be able to hold up the tire threads, it's the rest of the tractor weight and the loose nut behind the steering wheel that I worry about. 

Yes, well, I wanted to enter my 40th useless post to this forum so I had to relax my usual high editorial standards!
Replies: 54 - 63 of 71Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42