Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Best Snow thrower or Electric shovel for doing a Roof

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Steve_Cebu

Best Snow thrower or Electric shovel for doing a Roof
Original Message   Jan 28, 2011 3:50 pm
I'm looking for something that would be good for doing our roof. obviously the big 2 stage Toro won't be able to do it and would be a PITA to get up a ladder or out a window.

We have a new roof so I don't want to hurt the roof but the snow is really built up out there and it tends to melt very slowly. We are heading into Feb and lots more snow so I need something light enough and easy to manuever to use up there. The roof is pretty steep and in one section windows are mounted in the roof so that area might not be possible. They want a fortune to clear it and only the lesser section so I need something. Electric would probably be ok but it has to have enough power and the roof is pretty steep and high.

Any ideas?

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Replies: 44 - 53 of 71Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Paul7

Re: Best Snow thrower or Electric shovel for doing a Roof
Reply #44   Feb 4, 2011 9:22 am
Steve...The Today Show just did a segment on roof collapses in NY and NE.  Holy Molly!  They said that roof rakes are selling like Cabbage Patch Kids in their prime, and companies that remove snow from roofs are booked 24/7.  Main advice to property owners was to listen for any unusual sounds.  I was able to force heat to my attic to melt the snow but without an attic that's not an option for you.  I think that this is the time to call the pros...good luck.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #45   Feb 4, 2011 9:33 am
longboat wrote:
 LOL - just remembered the scene from Grumpy Old Men where they shoot water from a garden hose onto the snowy roof over an entryway, so that it forms a sheet of ice under the snow thus causing an avalanche for the unwitting homeowner who steps out the door (with slamming of said door causing the avalanche).

If you could shoot some water up along the peak of the roof, maybe you could create a similar avalanche situation...

p.s. - saw the Avalanche AVA300 roof snow removal system (sounds like it is easier/better than a roof rake), maybe you could stand on a tall stepladder strapped in the back of your pickup and reach some of the roof with that system...

I don't have a pickup truck.  Still I think that shooting water onto a roof that has 3 feet of snow would take some time and with temps at nigt going to -7F it's going to freeze pretty quickly. Last year during the snow melt, very warm very quickly, it overloaded the septic tank because all the runoff from the driveway goes into it.

I'll try and snap some pics to show how bad it is up there. If it was just a foot that would be ok.

For the lower roof and garage I can easily walk on those, the upper roof not a chance, you need a tall ladder and you'd have crap stability on the snow in the driveway.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Steve_Cebu

Reply #46   Feb 4, 2011 9:37 am
Paul7 wrote:
Steve...The Today Show just did a segment on roof collapses in NY and NE.  Holy Molly!  They said that roof rakes are selling like Cabbage Patch Kids in their prime, and companies that remove snow from roofs are booked 24/7.  Main advice to property owners was to listen for any unusual sounds.  I was able to force heat to my attic to melt the snow but without an attic that's not an option for you.  I think that this is the time to call the pros...good luck.

Yeah I know, everytime the news is on we see roofs collapsing.

Most people up here are also now fully booked for clearing the roof. $100+ per hour is good money for these guys. Our roof guy hasn't called back, too busy I guess.

More snow on the way for Sat and then Mon & Tues. This is what I get for waxing my snowblower.

aa335

Reply #47   Feb 4, 2011 10:07 am
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Yeah I know, everytime the news is on we see roofs collapsing.

Most people up here are also now fully booked for clearing the roof. $100+ per hour is good money for these guys. Our roof guy hasn't called back, too busy I guess.

More snow on the way for Sat and then Mon & Tues. This is what I get for waxing my snowblower.

If it was easy and safe, you would done it already, right?

Consider the people who offer that service, risking their life and limb, sometimes that's the only opportunity for them to make good money.
borat

Reply #48   Feb 4, 2011 10:09 am
Steve:

Have you thought of temporary internal roof supports? 

It sounds like the house has rafters and ridge poles rather than standard truss'.   If it does, you could make yourself some long posts out of 4x4 lumber.   You could use a piece of plywood as a protective base for the floor then haul in some long 4x4s to prop up the the ridge pole(s).   Twenty feet is an awful long piece of lumber though.   You might have to laminate some lumber to build that kind of length.  Even a couple 16' 2x8 planks with an 8' 2x8 screwed in between half way down would work.  That way you could build it (them) inside to the exact length you need.    If you distribute some of the load directly to the floor, that will relieve some of the load from the walls.  You will probably also need a small hydraulic jack to raise the posts to put some of the load on the floor.  If possible, the load going to the floor should be supported by a wall or post in the basement. 

Not pretty stuff, I'm sure, but for the money, it could possibly avert a disaster.  

Steve_Cebu

Reply #49   Feb 4, 2011 10:31 am
aa335 wrote:
If it was easy and safe, you would done it already, right?

Consider the people who offer that service, risking their life and limb, sometimes that's the only opportunity for them to make good money.

Granted but it still adds up to a lot of money. Most of the real pros not just guys who will shovel the roofs actually know what they are doing and have insurance etc...

Sadly a lot of these guys rely on YOUR insurance if they get hurt. I won't hire them it's too risky.

Steve_Cebu

Reply #50   Feb 4, 2011 10:36 am
borat wrote:
Steve:

Have you thought of temporary internal roof supports? 

It sounds like the house has rafters and ridge poles rather than standard truss'.   If it does, you could make yourself some long posts out of 4x4 lumber.   You could use a piece of plywood as a protective base for the floor then haul in some long 4x4s to prop up the the ridge pole(s).   Twenty feet is an awful long piece of lumber though.   You might have to laminate some lumber to build that kind of length.  Even a couple 16' 2x8 planks with an 8' 2x8 screwed in between half way down would work.  That way you could build it (them) inside to the exact length you need.    If you distribute some of the load directly to the floor, that will relieve some of the load from the walls.  You will probably also need a small hydraulic jack to raise the posts to put some of the load on the floor.  If possible, the load going to the floor should be supported by a wall or post in the basement. 

Not pretty stuff, I'm sure, but for the money, it could possibly avert a disaster.  

No I haven't heard of that, nor would I, that type of thing is way out of my league. The guy who did the roof would know about that and it sounds like it might work but would cost as much as clearing the roof. The ceiling is just under 24 feet high 23.? feet. I'm actively trying to get a guy to clear the roof but nothing available for a week, so far. I'm less worried about the garage than the living room. I'll try and gets some pics this afternoon. I've just been very busy today.

I do appreciate the advice

This message was modified Feb 4, 2011 by Steve_Cebu

longboat

Reply #51   Feb 4, 2011 2:41 pm
Since this is an OPE forum, this is your chance (excuse) to go purchase a power washer with integrated boiler, so you'll be shooting hot water on the roof.

No pickup truck?  Rent a scaffold (or build a snow mountain).

I like the indoor supports idea.  If done right, it would only take a couple poles, with some crossbeams at the top.   That's what I used under my deck for hot tub supports until I got around to rebuilding the deck.

Sorry for all of the crazy ideas - I'll try to quit ranting now...

Bill_H

Reply #52   Feb 4, 2011 11:36 pm
longboat wrote:
Since this is an OPE forum, this is your chance (excuse) to go purchase a power washer with integrated boiler, so you'll be shooting hot water on the roof.

No pickup truck?  Rent a scaffold (or build a snow mountain).

I've used a good quality rubber garden hose hooked to my hot water heater to cut through ice. The important thing is to make sure you have a place for the runoff to safely refreeze. Even "cold" water is often around the 50-55 degree range and is effective.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
Tubby

Reply #53   Feb 7, 2011 11:16 pm
I'm liking the hot water idea, I have a tankless hot water heater. Let'er rip!
Replies: 44 - 53 of 71Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42