Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Belts on an 1989 Honda HS80

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
BALR1415

Belts on an 1989 Honda HS80
Original Message   Feb 4, 2011 1:21 pm
After over 20 years both belts went this winter. I don't have a service manual and am trying to replace them from diagrams from the parts list, and not having much luck. I had thought that only 4 12mm bolts had to be removed to seperate the auger bucket from the main housing. So far I have removed 8 bolts and both wheels (to reach all bolts) and still something is holding it. It looks like the bottom pan. Has anyone got any suggestions on how to replace the belts?
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
trouts2

Re: Belts on an 1989 Honda HS80
Reply #1   Feb 4, 2011 8:07 pm
I did them on an HS70 but think your model is the same.  What's the model number off the back of the frame?

I think there are three on each side, two on the top and two on the bottom.

If I remember right the two through the lower end of the cover have to come out, that's looking at it when its on it's bucket.

Did you take the tracks off to get at the side bolts that hold on the bucket?

This message was modified Feb 4, 2011 by trouts2
BALR1415

Reply #2   Feb 5, 2011 1:26 pm
I forgot to mention that I have the wheel model not the track, but I did have to remove the wheels to get to the side bolts (12mm). And I did take the bottom cover off. I does sound like the HS70.

My problem is getting it back together. If I have the auger belt on both pulleys I can not get the bucket back into the frame as in this picture.

I can get the bucket back into the frame with just the belt on the auger. But then I can't get the belt over the engine pulley. There must be a trick!!!

Shryp

Reply #3   Feb 5, 2011 1:37 pm
Never worked on a Honda.  I can offer suggestions based on other models though.

Perhaps the belt is the wrong size.  Is the belt routed properly under the auger brake?

Perhaps you have to mess with the handle and/or clutch mechanism to get it to not get stuck.
Try pushing the handle down as you try to push the bucket on.

After you get the bucket on, try putting one edge of the belt on the pulley and then pulling the rope to seat the belt.
Make sure the engine is off and would not hurt to pull the plug wire.
This message was modified Feb 5, 2011 by Shryp
Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Reply #4   Feb 5, 2011 2:31 pm
BALR1415 wrote:
I forgot to mention that I have the wheel model not the track, but I did have to remove the wheels to get to the side bolts (12mm). And I did take the bottom cover off. I does sound like the HS70.

My problem is getting it back together. If I have the auger belt on both pulleys I can not get the bucket back into the frame as in this picture.

I can get the bucket back into the frame with just the belt on the auger. But then I can't get the belt over the engine pulley. There must be a trick!!!

Try pushing the tension roller back by hand (second picture) when you are working the belt over the pulley.  If the roller is exerting tension on the belt it wont go over the pulley.  But be sure to keep the belt under the belt guide.   Looks similar to my HS928.
This message was modified Feb 5, 2011 by Dr_Woof

borat

Reply #5   Feb 5, 2011 2:48 pm
Do you have a number for the belt you're installing?  Is it an OEM or after market?  If the belts are different, do you have the number of both belts?
BALR1415

Reply #6   Feb 5, 2011 5:55 pm
I am starting to question if I have the correct belt also, I bought both belts from a Honda dealer. The auger belt in question is part  HON 22432-736-A01 V-BELT (SB-216A) from my sales slip. But when I looked at the part diagram they gave me the belt had a part number of 22432-738-C31. That dealer was closed when I called today, but a Honda that I could reach said the belt I had was for a track (TA) model.

I have a HS80 WAS, is the auger belt different then for a Track model?

trouts2

Reply #7   Feb 5, 2011 6:31 pm
You could have the wrong belt but you unbolt the pulley to put the belt on.  No force required.

If you try to do this with the tractor tilted down you'll probably have zero success.

Get a chair and prop the traction up by the handlebars.  Get it level, horizontal.  Position the bucket on 2x4's a half inch from the tractor and work the bucket in slowly.  Start with the bottom of the bucket to the bottom of the tractor about 1/4 in i.e. just holding the bucket.  Then swing up the bucket very slowly under the top brace.  It will probalby take a number of tries.  Have a bolt in one hand to fit to a top bolt hole then get a right or left bottom bolt.  The rest can be done with slight wiggling of the bucket.

The drive belt can just go on.  The auger belt around the the bottom pulley and behind it's guide.  The top can just be loose and has to be pushed out of the way so the bucket can come up fully.  Once bolted the auger belt can be run under the tensioner using a long screwdriver to hold back the tensioner.

This message was modified Feb 5, 2011 by trouts2
trouts2

Reply #8   Feb 5, 2011 6:52 pm
22432-738-C31 for an HS80 wheeled

HON 22432-736-A01 V-BELT for a track

What is the factory model number off the back base of your machine?  HS80 is a marketing name. 

trouts2

Reply #9   Feb 5, 2011 7:27 pm
The one you have should be 1 inch short.
BALR1415

Reply #10   Feb 6, 2011 12:00 pm
One inch short sounds about what I need to get over the engine pulley.

I went over the HS80 this morning looking for ID information and all I have is an engine number and a serial number tag that begins with "SA1-"

Thank you for the help. I plan on calling the Honda dealer first thing Monday morning and getting the correct belt.

Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42