Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 824 Friction Disk/Alum. Drive Disk Replacement?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Derek

Ariens 824 Friction Disk/Alum. Drive Disk Replacement?
Original Message   Jan 9, 2011 7:20 pm
I've got an Ariens 824 that I bought new in 2002 which until recently has served me well.  Late last season, it seemed that the drive was "slipping" in that you could hold down the drive lever, but you'd have to give it a push to get it moving.  Also, it would not pull through deeper snow - it would just sit there.   Additionally, it didn't seem to throw the snow as far as it used to.

I pulled the bottom pan and found that the rubber friction disc was totally gone.  The aluminum drive disc to which the friction disc engages is scored up pretty badly fom the metal-to-metal contact with the wiped out friction disc.

It seems that the rubber friction disc is pretty easy to replaced based on the instructions in the manual.  To do this right, I will need to replace the aluminum drive disc as well.  I can't find any instructions anywhere on how to do this, and in looking at it on the machine I can't see how that disc can be removed.  In operating the handle that engages the drive, I can see that the disc moves toward the rubber friction disc - the hexagonal shaft with the aluminum disc slides out from the belt-driven pulleys.

The question - how is the aluminum drive disc removed so it can be replaced?  What holds it?  What other components need to be removed to facilitate the removal? 

I searched for a service manual for the 824, and came up with this - although it says its for the 9-series.  You can see the drive disc diagram in  Fig 6-2

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/000123A.pdf

I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have proper tools, so with a little guidance I think I can get this done.  I think with new discs and new belts the machine will be performing as it did when it was new. 

Not to muddy the waters, but in researching this I discovered that there were "update kits" offered for this machine to correct drive ratios , improve torque and increase service life (better compound on the friction disc).   I was never informed of this from Ariens or the dealer that bought this from, despite the dealer saying that letters were sent to everyone with an 824 who was affected.  No chance that they will replace under "warranty" at this point.  While the upgrade may be an improvement, I don't want to spend a lot of money to install the update, being as the machine has done well for me until now and winter is here in the northeast and I need to get the unit up and running quickly.  I believe my failure to check/replace the friction disc is what put me in this situation, not necessarily a poor drive design.

Any help appreciated .

Thanks

Derek

Replies: 11 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Derek

Re: Ariens 824 Friction Disk/Alum. Drive Disk Replacement?
Reply #11   Jan 12, 2011 3:40 pm
There is a groove in the outside of the shaft boss on the new alum. drive plate, but I also cannot see where a retaining clip would do anything.

Well, just got done blowing 24" of snow with this machine, and it performed like a champ.  I only did the new rubber friction disc and belts, using the existing (grooved up) aluminum drive plate.  Didn't have any traction/slipping issues at all.   I'm gonna have a look at the new friction disc to see if it is getting chewed up...but I won't get to it today.

trouts2

Reply #12   Jan 12, 2011 7:02 pm
The boss sticks through the bearing assembly (figure 22 on the drawing) then gets that C-clip to keep it moving with the drive yoke.

When you get to looking at the friction disk please post what you see.  It would be interesting to see how long it lasts. 

MYCATS

Reply #13   Jan 14, 2011 11:37 am
Derek,  What is the part number for the new updated friction disc??  I have the same machine as yours and the same issues. Thanks, MYCATS...  Also, you mentioned that you bought yours in 2002 and my not knowing the s/n of yours how can I tell what year mine was made??  Mine is ST824 mod. # 932101 S//N 017081. Does anyone know??
This message was modified Jan 17, 2011 by MYCATS
Shryp

Reply #14   Jan 14, 2011 11:42 am
Go here and enter your model and serial numbers.

http://www.ariens.com/corporate/Pages/OwnerManuals.aspx

Download the manuals and you can reference your part numbers.

If you want someone else to double check for you you will need to post the model and serial numbers off the tag under the handlebars.
kramm

Reply #15   Jan 23, 2011 3:45 pm
I have a 824/932101 that I have had issues with. The friction disc rubber was shredded, and the drive plate was all scored up. I have replaced all of this, however, the thing that I am really nervous about is the shift fork that hooks onto the friction disc assembly. This mounts into a hole in the frame. The problem I am forseeing prior to putting this all back together is there is a bit of play in this assembly and causes the shift fork rod to dislodge from the mounting hole and the fork will come off the friction disc assembly completely.

Anyone familiar with this issue and or the complete parts lineup for this and how to eliminate the play? I did find a flat washer when I removed the bottom panel. However, unsure if this is related.

Thanks for any help out there!

-=Kurt

trouts2

Reply #16   Jan 23, 2011 6:38 pm
   Can't remember about the looseness of the arm. 

There are two big washers that go over the points of the bearing holder and under the yoke arms.   I think you swing the fork to the right to get the holder and washers back in.  I always have a tough time with them.  You can go to the Ariens site and get the service manual for their procedure on how to put that back together.  You can get an exploded view also for checking out the arm.

kenAbbys

Reply #17   Feb 5, 2011 7:00 pm
kramm wrote:
I have a 824/932101 that I have had issues with. The friction disc rubber was shredded, and the drive plate was all scored up. I have replaced all of this, however, the thing that I am really nervous about is the shift fork that hooks onto the friction disc assembly. This mounts into a hole in the frame. The problem I am forseeing prior to putting this all back together is there is a bit of play in this assembly and causes the shift fork rod to dislodge from the mounting hole and the fork will come off the friction disc assembly completely.

Anyone familiar with this issue and or the complete parts lineup for this and how to eliminate the play? I did find a flat washer when I removed the bottom panel. However, unsure if this is related.

Thanks for any help out there!

-=Kurt

Hi Kurt,

I will take a look at the problem you are concerned about on my 824/932101. There should be bushing flanges at each end of the shift fork- 05514500 and 05503700.

I have mine apart because I am changing my Friction disk and plate. I ordered the parts today. I already removed the old disk but I have not removed the plate yet. I see you have replaced both on yours. Is there anything you can tell me about replacing the Plate? There are no direction for this replacement so I was going to wing it. My idea after looking at it was if I remove the cotter pin in the far back left hand corner from the clutch fork it will let me move it further toward the back wall and free up the bearing assembly that sits under the Friction plate. Then it looks like I can just lift the plate upward of the hex shaft to remove. Am I in for a surprise when I go to lift what looks like a free floating plate? Is there anything holding it on the hex shaft or is the clutch fork the only thing keeping it down?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

trouts2

Reply #18   Feb 5, 2011 7:16 pm
There are posts above that mention a C-clip for holding on the drive plate.  The service manual is useless.  The parts manual unclear.  Given that only one thing is floating in the area and a C-clip right there it's probably to capture the back of the drive plate after it goes through the bearing.
kenAbbys

Reply #19   Feb 5, 2011 7:37 pm
Snowmann wrote:
The drive plate only slides on the hex shaft. It is attached to the engagement fork/yolk, I'd recommend you replace this plate or the new friction disk might not last very long. When you replace the drive plate make sure you clean off all the old lubricant from the hex shaft and re-grease. Also oil the bronze bushings the shaft rides in with gear oil.

I was hoping snowmann was correct on this one. The above is what it looks like to me. I see Kurt has done it so I am hoping he can clear it all up. Or maybe snowmann actually did both. If he did my apologies for questioning what he posted.

Replies: 11 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42