Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Torn between Honda HS928TCD and Yamaha YS928J

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
rubinew

Torn between Honda HS928TCD and Yamaha YS928J
Original Message   Dec 30, 2010 12:21 am
I moved to a new house, top of a hill, with farm land across from my driveway.

This is our second winter, and my MTD is not up to the task of clearing the packed snow that blows into my yard, sometimes daily.

I have been looking for a couple weeks, and had made up my mind to get the Honda. I had been to the Yamaha dealer previously, but they were not willing to deal.

Well today a new twist, I went back to Yamaha, and was offered the YS928J for the same price as the HS928TC.

Specs are very similar, with some different features. The Honda has full Joystick control on the chute, and is 100 lbs lighter.

The Yamaha has plastic coated chute, manual up/down. Has no shear pins, which may be a bonus, if the 'Shock Protection' works correctly. Also the Yamaha is quiter.

I have been reviewing this site, however, there is limited information on the Yamahas, likely because they just came back to Canada in 2009 (15 year Hiatus) and I am not sure if they are available in the U.S.

Has anyone out there used these models? Can you offer an Opinion?

This message was modified Dec 30, 2010 by rubinew
Replies: 1 - 104 of 104View as Outline
Steve_Cebu

Re: Torn between Honda HS928TCD and Yamaha YS928J
Reply #1   Dec 30, 2010 5:25 am
They are not available in the USA. But I know for a fact that some of your fellow Canadians have taken a look at the Yamaha so hopefully one of them will be able to help you out. We'd like to see them sold here in the States but we only get a dumbed down version of the Honda.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
aa335

Reply #2   Dec 30, 2010 9:53 am
The Yamaha has lots of cool features but the additional weight will probably let me pass on it.  The Honda 928TCD is already impressive as it is.  Too bad I can't get this model in the states. 
MN_Runner

Reply #3   Dec 30, 2010 10:26 am
Yamaha YS928J is a really good looking machine but not sure why it weighs 373LB (169kg) vs. 240LB (109kg) Honda HS928TCD.  100LB+ additional weight may not be all positive (especially if you have a sloped driveway) since the transmsission has to work harder to push all  that weight plus the duty of blowing the snow.  I would be afraid to take that Yamaha on my backyard pond early in the winter when the ice is not too thick.
FrankMA

Reply #4   Dec 30, 2010 10:28 am
aa335 wrote:
The Yamaha has lots of cool features but the additional weight will probably let me pass on it.  The Honda 928TCD is already impressive as it is.  Too bad I can't get this model in the states. 

You have to wonder about the thought  process at corporate Honda HQ. Why would you limit the availability of an awesome product offering to certain geographic areas and not others??? It would be just as easy to sell them in the northern tier states as it is in Canada.

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
borat

Reply #5   Dec 30, 2010 11:04 am
Before you buy either, you should take them out for a test run.  Track machines can be a bit onerous to use.   Particularly if you're used to a wheeled machine. 

Personally, I wouldn't spend that kind of money for either of those machines.  You can get excellent snow blowers from Ariens, Simplicity/Snapper/John Deer and Toro for a fraction of the cost.  You'll also probably find them much easier to use and live with when not in use.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #6   Dec 30, 2010 11:29 am
borat wrote:
Before you buy either, you should take them out for a test run.  Track machines can be a bit onerous to use.   Particularly if you're used to a wheeled machine. 

Personally, I wouldn't spend that kind of money for either of those machines.  You can get excellent snow blowers from Ariens, Simplicity/Snapper/John Deer and Toro for a fraction of the cost.  You'll also probably find them much easier to use and live with when not in use.

Agreed I'll stack my Toro 1028 up against a Honda 928 or any other consumer 28" snowblower. I'm sure Ariens and Simplicity will throw the snow just as far as my Toro and the Honda. But Honda doesn't have a quick chute, a plastic chute and twin trigger steering and an auger that recycles the snow. Honda doesn't even give you a light, until you buy an 1132.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
borat

Reply #7   Dec 30, 2010 11:44 am
" Honda doesn't even give you a light, until you buy an 1132."

If that gas leak sparks up, you'll have plenty of light.
aa335

Reply #8   Dec 30, 2010 11:50 am
borat wrote:
" Honda doesn't even give you a light, until you buy an 1132."

If that gas leak sparks up, you'll have plenty of light.

I can see that the opportunists will have some fun with this for a while. 

I guess I wont need the electric start or even pulling my engine to start.  Just park it outside, throw down a match, and let the snow melt.  :)

Oh wait, my 1132 isnt affected by the recall. 
borat

Reply #9   Dec 30, 2010 11:53 am
Easy now aa335....

Just making "light" of the situation. 

Don't forget that B&S had a major engine recall back around '06-'07 for a fire hazard with their engines.   The dealer had to fix the engine on my Simplicity prior to me picking it up.
aa335

Reply #10   Dec 30, 2010 11:59 am
borat wrote:
Easy now aa335....

Just making "light" of the situation. 

Don't forget that B&S had a major engine recall back around '06-'07 for a fire hazard with their engines.   The dealer had to fix the engine on my Simplicity prior to me picking it up.

Hey, I know what you mean.  No offense taken here.  I'm sure I won't be quiet if my machine will be out of commission for 3 weeks because of a recall.

It's just there are those who resort to "kick them while they're down" attitude. 
MN_Runner

Reply #11   Dec 30, 2010 12:35 pm
When I bought my HS928, I did not get much but got a full tank of gas and 1 QT of no-brand 5W-30 motor oil, which I replaced after 3-5 hours of use.  Maybe, Canada is better.
rubinew

Reply #12   Dec 30, 2010 12:58 pm
Yes the Yamaha weight is both a pro and a con. The dealer will have one in next week to take for a test drive.

I have 2 thoughts on this,      1) the extra weight will make it more difficult to manouver

2)the extra weight might help it stay down and eat through the hard packed drifts that my current MTD likes to rides up, or stop and spin wheels.

My driveways is 25 feets by 75 feet, last 50 feet is gravel. I am tired of pushing my snowblower through the hard packed snow, this is why I am looking for tracks. Most of my neighbors have wheel drive blowers, various modles, and face the same issues out here. When you wake up in the morning with 3 feet or more of hard packed snow, you need a bobcat, or something that can really push and eat its way through.

My wife likes the Hydrostatic transmission, which has brought us to these models.

As for the Honda, it does come with a light, and nicely featured. I have heard complaints though, about shear pins breaking to easy.

The Yamaha does not use shear pins, does anyone know about this 'Shock Protection' technology???

The dealer at Honda claims he has an 80 year old lady who can use the Honda, all about turning under power, etc???

My wife was able to manouver the Honda, she is 125 lbs, but she can not try the Yamaha till next week.

MN_Runner

Reply #13   Dec 30, 2010 1:10 pm
I weigh 125LB on a good day and have no issue with HS928WAS (wheel version).  I think the track is better on traction but I stayed away from track as it looked a bit complicated.  I am not sure how hydrostatic works (sounds like using fluid to manage propulsion) but I was not too crazy about it.  My Honda lawnmower is a belt driven and not a hydrostatic version.  The belt is really easy to change.  I really like simple and clean design like the Honda and see how does the hydrostatic works out.  Friction disk does not sound that complicated and looks like it is a reasonable fix.
This message was modified Dec 30, 2010 by MN_Runner
rubinew

Reply #14   Dec 30, 2010 1:37 pm
My wife actually commented that the Honda was the same to turn as the MTD, but then she may not have been turning the MTD correctly, :-) I was not home.

I had the MTD for 13 years now, has served me well, in the city. Out here though, it is a task to push, lean, wiggle and fight with it to get through the packed snow.

I could put chains on it, but did not want to chew up the new exposed driveway.

When I buy a new blower, my Dad will inherit the MTD, he wants a used 2 stage for sidewalk and driveway. Also, chains would not solve the riding up problems. Both Honda and Yamaha have the tiltable auger, and can be set to dig down as they push forward, I would need to test this feature, but I have read several post here that confirm this action.

The hydrostatic is basically an oil pump, run by the engine, the oil flow is used to turn a motor attached to the drive. You use a single lever to change the flow, for direction, or amount of flow, for speed.

I have researched hydrostatic drives, and they seem very durable and reliable. I do wonder if the lines would pose an issue for leakage, etc, with age, but could not find any complaints.

What I can not find information on, is what Yamaha is doing in the Gear Case, to allow for the removal of shear pins???

This message was modified Dec 30, 2010 by rubinew
aa335

Reply #15   Dec 30, 2010 2:21 pm
rubinew wrote:

The dealer at Honda claims he has an 80 year old lady who can use the Honda, all about turning under power, etc???

This is quite hard to swallow.  I don't think I can take a salesman seriously.  The best thing for him to do is to demonstrate how easy it to turn rather than pulling your leg.  Why don't you ask him for her name and talk to her if she can do it.

I rarely see women operate a snowblower, except 2.  I have never seen a woman operate a tracked snowblower.  An 80 year old woman operating a tracked snowblower?  That is not impossible, but not very likely.
rubinew

Reply #16   Dec 30, 2010 2:28 pm
aa335 wrote:
This is quite hard to swallow.  I don't think I can take a salesman seriously.  The best thing for him to do is to demonstrate how easy it to turn rather than pulling your leg.  Why don't you ask him for her name and talk to her if she can do it.

I rarely see women operate a snowblower, except 2.  I have never seen a woman operate a tracked snowblower.  An 80 year old woman operating a tracked snowblower?  That is not impossible, but not very likely.

Yeah, I took that comment with a grain of salt :-)

The Saskatchewan women are tough, but still, hard to beleive, then again, one never knows!

Because I travel, my wife has to snow blow at time,s 3 times this year alone. This is why I am looking to replace. She could not get through the drifts with our old blower.

Had to hire a bobcat to come and clear, but this brings about the waiting, etc, missed work that day, stuck in house.

When I leave, I put the blower were my car goes, then she can start and drive straight out. I just need to make sure she can turn it 180 to go back and forth to clear herself out.

borat

Reply #17   Dec 30, 2010 2:39 pm
Don't take anyone's word for how easy/difficult they will be to operate.  Get them out in a parking lot with snow and test them out.  Make sure whoever will be operating the machine is there to try them.  

By the way, from the dimensions of your driveway, either of those machines are over-kill.   My driveway is 110' long by 20' wide with a 35' x 35' turn around at the garage.  It's also got an 11% grade.  I live in central Canada and we get a great deal of snow of all types.  My wheeled Simplicity has never had a problem handling whatever  type or how much snow comes. 

April 1st of last year we woke up to 30" of heavy wet snow.  I did my driveway plus two and a half other of similar size with the Simplicity.  The neighbours I bailed out were using fairly new 10 h.p. Craftsman machines and were struggling a great deal.  I even tried to use one woman's 10 h.p. Craftsman machine and ended up parking it in their garage.  I walked the Simplicity over to her place to clear her driveway.  All the difference in the world.  Can't exactly say why.  The Craftsman just couldn't pump the wet snow whereas the Simplicity was blasting it up 15' or more  and sticking it to the sides of the 30' wooden street light poles.  

If I were you, I wouldn't dismiss a premium quality wheeled machine such as  Ariens, Honda, Simplicity/Snapper/JD and Toro.  
rubinew

Reply #18   Dec 30, 2010 2:57 pm
borat wrote:
If I were you, I wouldn't dismiss a premium quality wheeled machine such as  Ariens, Honda, Simplicity/Snapper/JD and Toro.  

Thanks for your response!

The problem out here, is the drifting snow. I blows in from farm fields, and packs very hard.

My MTD is a 24 inch, 8 HP, and could handle most fallen snow, even wet.  It fails with the packed snow, pushing through it is a task, driving up, fighting to keep it level.

My new neighbor has a 30 inch, wheel drive, larger wheels than mine, I can not remember the brand, only seen him use it once so far, but he has same problem, will not push through, stops, or rides up. Last weekend he hired a bobcat to come clear his driveway.

He only has 25 by 25, fairly level, but he faced directly into the field, and 4 feet of packed snow, his blower could not even get going.

Yes the blowers that I am looking at may be overkill, but it seems that if you want track drive, and hydrostic transmission, honda and yamaha are it.

I would like to drive one into 4 feet of drifted snow, or EOD, to test and see if what I have read hold true.

snowmachine

Reply #19   Dec 30, 2010 3:01 pm
I'm sure the Honda is a fine unit but that Yamaha just looks like it is built stronger.  Of course I am just basing a lot on pictures at this point.   I have a neighbor who is still uses his '89 Yamaha YS828.  If I were in the market right now the Yami would have my vote.
MN_Runner

Reply #20   Dec 30, 2010 3:02 pm
My wheel version is not that bad.  There is a good reason why Honda limits the tire pressure to 8.5 PSI.  Granted I have a very small driveway with ever so slight slope and my Honda pulls along good.  Don't assume that track drive is for everyone.
rubinew

Reply #21   Dec 30, 2010 4:20 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
My wheel version is not that bad.  There is a good reason why Honda limits the tire pressure to 8.5 PSI.  Granted I have a very small driveway with ever so slight slope and my Honda pulls along good.  Don't assume that track drive is for everyone.

I wasn't assuming track is for everyone! :-) not even 100% sure it is for me.

When my wife takes another one for a test drive, that will help.

I just know that several wheel versions are struggling on this hill. I need something that can plow through packed snow, and get us on our way too work in minutes, instead of hours.

Last year I wiggled and jiggled, pushed and pulled my MTD for 3 hours, and only got about 20% done, had to bobcat it to get done in a reasonalbe time!

My wheel version worked great for the last place we lived, just not able to do the same out here!

Steve_Cebu

Reply #22   Dec 30, 2010 4:46 pm
rubinew wrote:
Thanks for your response!

The problem out here, is the drifting snow. I blows in from farm fields, and packs very hard.

My MTD is a 24 inch, 8 HP, and could handle most fallen snow, even wet.  It fails with the packed snow, pushing through it is a task, driving up, fighting to keep it level.

My new neighbor has a 30 inch, wheel drive, larger wheels than mine, I can not remember the brand, only seen him use it once so far, but he has same problem, will not push through, stops, or rides up. Last weekend he hired a bobcat to come clear his driveway.

He only has 25 by 25, fairly level, but he faced directly into the field, and 4 feet of packed snow, his blower could not even get going.

Yes the blowers that I am looking at may be overkill, but it seems that if you want track drive, and hydrostic transmission, honda and yamaha are it.

I would like to drive one into 4 feet of drifted snow, or EOD, to test and see if what I have read hold true.

Driveway size isn't everything it's also the type of snow that affects what machine you buy. Your driveway is small compared to mine as mine is 220 feet long 15 or so feet wide and has a 40'x50' section off of it. But if you get hard packed blown snow on a regular basis and we have a neighbor up the road who is across from a huge field (retired farm). They bought a Kubota tractor to deal with the snow. No dealer will let you drive into 4 feet of snow, but they should let you test drive it. I honestly don't see the problem with riding up on the snow for the first pass or two if you have that much snow. Except for commercial units there is no way you will remove hard packed snow in one pass anyway. The city uses machines that you ride on that will do it. But they probably cost $10K for a used one.

If your wife has to use this have her drive it and remember that a 5 minute test in a dealers lot is very different than muscling that unit around for a couple of hours. My wife could not use the Honda we bought because it's tough to turn it around and you will get a real workout using it. What you will want is something that has tracks that you can steer with triggers. Sadly the Honda and Yamaha models that have the trigger steering with tracks cost a boatload of money.

If you have snow bad enough that you'd need a Bobcat then Honda and Yamaha are safe bets but you will still need to go slow and use technique to move that level of snow. I'd look at a second hand truck with a plow if you have the space to put the snow. The windblown stuff is really nasty and unless you've had to deal with it like our neighbors have... in fact the apple orchard across from our house has windblown snow, but they have a lot of tractors so it's not a problem for them.

Just make sure that you and your wife can use it for the 1-2 hours you will need and yeah I'd say tracks are a must for that stuff.

rubinew

Reply #23   Dec 30, 2010 6:43 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:

If you have snow bad enough that you'd need a Bobcat then Honda and Yamaha are safe bets but you will still need to go slow and use technique to move that level of snow. I'd look at a second hand truck with a plow if you have the space to put the snow. The windblown stuff is really nasty and unless you've had to deal with it like our neighbors have... in fact the apple orchard across from our house has windblown snow, but they have a lot of tractors so it's not a problem for them.

Just make sure that you and your wife can use it for the 1-2 hours you will need and yeah I'd say tracks are a must for that stuff.

Thanks for your Response,

I don't mind having to make second, or even more passess, as long as I don't have to hold the bucket down, and push it all the way thru :-)

I just came from the Yamaha dealer, took my wife there to try steering a 624, they don't have the 928 in stock, sold out till next week. She liked it, and was able to turn it around, the trick for her was to tilt the auger up, and keep the track turning.

I have to admit I am leaning towards the Yamaha. They do not have shear pins, which is a bonus for my wife, she can not change if I am on the road. I also like the quiter motor, and the lined chutes. We also like the controls on the Yamaha a little more, flat and waste high.

The dealer explained that the shock protection is built in the gear box, sounds like a pressure plate, that can disengage, then reset with next turn. I have heard of simular presured plates, using bearings.

I took the Yamaha 624 through about 20 inches of packed snow and ice, didn't even hesitate. The motor did work a bit to chew the ice, but it drove straight thru, no pushing.

I think the 928 with the extra weight and HP will chew right thru anything. But I will let my wife take it for another test drive before buying. I will update you with our final decision.

aa335

Reply #24   Dec 30, 2010 9:51 pm
Rubinew,

I wish I had your dilemma.  In the states, we don't get either of these two excellent models to chose from.            

I like the shock protection feature for the auger.  No pins or bolts to deal with.  I'm sure it would work very well.  I have no doubt that Yamaha have developed this feature properly.
snowmachine

Reply #25   Dec 30, 2010 10:30 pm
Is it correct if we buy one of these up in Canada and bring back down to states the warranty will be void at local retailers?    A 90 minute drive to Canada for warranty work is doable though.
rubinew

Reply #26   Dec 30, 2010 11:44 pm
aa335 wrote:
Rubinew,

I wish I had your dilemma.  In the states, we don't get either of these two excellent models to chose from.            

I like the shock protection feature for the auger.  No pins or bolts to deal with.  I'm sure it would work very well.  I have no doubt that Yamaha have developed this feature properly.

I thought the Honda was available in the U.S.?

It turns out the smaller modles, including the 624e do not have shock protection, but do have shear pins.

The shock protection feature is on the fully loaded 624 (edj?) and the 928, not sure about the higher modles.

The Yamaha just came back into Canada last year, they left for 15 years, not sure why, good news is that most of the blowers they sold back then are still working!

The first Honda Dealer I spoke too did not know that Yamaha was back, or played stupid :-)

Steve_Cebu

Reply #27   Dec 30, 2010 11:58 pm
rubinew wrote:
Thanks for your Response,

I don't mind having to make second, or even more passess, as long as I don't have to hold the bucket down, and push it all the way thru :-)

I just came from the Yamaha dealer, took my wife there to try steering a 624, they don't have the 928 in stock, sold out till next week. She liked it, and was able to turn it around, the trick for her was to tilt the auger up, and keep the track turning.

I have to admit I am leaning towards the Yamaha. They do not have shear pins, which is a bonus for my wife, she can not change if I am on the road. I also like the quiter motor, and the lined chutes. We also like the controls on the Yamaha a little more, flat and waste high.

The dealer explained that the shock protection is built in the gear box, sounds like a pressure plate, that can disengage, then reset with next turn. I have heard of simular presured plates, using bearings.

I took the Yamaha 624 through about 20 inches of packed snow and ice, didn't even hesitate. The motor did work a bit to chew the ice, but it drove straight thru, no pushing.

I think the 928 with the extra weight and HP will chew right thru anything. But I will let my wife take it for another test drive before buying. I will update you with our final decision.

If your wifecan't change out a shear pin why look at models that use them? Only Yamaha doesn't use shear pins from what I understand. Make certain she can use the 928 as it's a bigger machine and it won't just be for 5 minutes. Having no shear pins is good and I believe Yamaha has a longer warranty than Honda so that is also a consideration.

I'll be interested to see which one you get, my money is on the Yamaha. Too bad we don't have them down here.

MN_Runner

Reply #28   Dec 31, 2010 12:00 am
My main concern with the Yamaha YS624 is being under-powered.The difference between YS626EDJ and YS928J is only $400 but you will get 250CC in lieu of 170CC engine. In addition, I am begining to think that 250CC may be under-powered for the super heavy YS928J.  The difference between 250CC and 270CC (Yamaha vs. Honda) is minor but 100LB weight difference is signifcant.  Although I said Honda may not be the best snowblower, HS928TCD may be a better balance given slightly more HP with a significant weight reduction.  Sounds like you have narrowed your choices to Yamaha and Honda and if that is the case then I would seriously consider the Honda model.
rubinew

Reply #29   Dec 31, 2010 1:38 am
MN_Runner wrote:
My main concern with the Yamaha YS624 is being under-powered.The difference between YS626EDJ and YS928J is only $400 but you will get 250CC in lieu of 170CC engine. In addition, I am begining to think that 250CC may be under-powered for the super heavy YS928J.  The difference between 250CC and 270CC (Yamaha vs. Honda) is minor but 100LB weight difference is signifcant.  Although I said Honda may not be the best snowblower, HS928TCD may be a better balance given slightly more HP with a significant weight reduction.  Sounds like you have narrowed your choices to Yamaha and Honda and if that is the case then I would seriously consider the Honda model.

That is indeed the dilemma, the Honda is slightly more power and less weight, however, the Yamaha has a few more features. My wife already drove the HS928TCD, she was able to turn it a couple times. I really liked the Honda, and almost took it home that day, but then came the Yamaha, and that is why I am in this debate.

The 20CC may or may not make a difference, seems to be a lot of effect from design and usage of horsepower. The 624 we used today threw snow twice as far as the 8HP MTD ever did :-)

The no shear pin idea is very attractive. And the wieght may be an advantage for keeping the front down and into the drifts. As long as turning is not affected too much. 

The 624 that we used today did fairly well, we found a pile of hardened snow and ice, pushed when there parking lot was cleared. The 624 went thru fairly well, the motor did work harder when loaded with the mixture, but it threw fine, front stayed down, and drove thru very well.

The true test will be when my wife takes a YS928 for a test drive. While 5 mins in a parking lot is not the same as using for two hours, the goal is that she can use it long enough to clear a path for herself to get out. I can clear the rest when I return home.

I was hoping there would be more Yamaha users on this site, seems the Honda is very popular, and very reliable. I would expect the same from Yamaha.

rubinew

Reply #30   Dec 31, 2010 1:51 am
Steve_Cebu wrote:
If your wifecan't change out a shear pin why look at models that use them? Only Yamaha doesn't use shear pins from what I understand. Make certain she can use the 928 as it's a bigger machine and it won't just be for 5 minutes. Having no shear pins is good and I believe Yamaha has a longer warranty than Honda so that is also a consideration.

I'll be interested to see which one you get, my money is on the Yamaha. Too bad we don't have them down here.

The Shear Pin was not an issue until 2 days ago. While at the Honda Dealer, the service guy mentioned that the HS928TCD will go thru pins, and to keep a half dozen on hand.

This did not concern me, I have changed before, but my wife asked " will a broken shear pin make it not work", and we answered yes, then it became a concern, since she flat out said she would not crawl around, with a frozen blower, and try to change a pin.

I just wish I could find some literature on what Yamaha is using, and the reliability of such a system :-)

We will difinitely take the 928 for a test drive, make sure the can turn it, at least 3-4 times, that will clear enough for her van to get out. I can play then, when I get home!

The honda has not been ruled out, but feature wise, it is losing points. The weight thing is the last thing to deal with :-)

Shryp

Reply #31   Dec 31, 2010 4:30 am
rubinew wrote:
This did not concern me, I have changed before, but my wife asked " will a broken shear pin make it not work", and we answered yes, then it became a concern, since she flat out said she would not crawl around, with a frozen blower, and try to change a pin.

This is easy to fix.  Hand her a shear pin in 1 hand and a shovel in the other and see which one wins :)
FrankMA

Reply #32   Dec 31, 2010 5:36 am
rubinew wrote:
The Shear Pin was not an issue until 2 days ago. While at the Honda Dealer, the service guy mentioned that the HS928TCD will go thru pins, and to keep a half dozen on hand.

I had my Honda HS624WA for 10 years and maybe went through a total of 6 or so shear pins over the years' and those broke (or sacraficed themselves) as a result of hitting or ingesting hard foreign objects like rocks. I could always identify the reason for a shear pin failure and it was never due to ice or snow alone. I do keep a half dozen or so on hand just in case the plow delivers some rocks or other unwanted debris at the EOD but that's to be expected sometimes. Not sure where this service guy is coming from with that statement except that you can create a premature failure situation if you overtighten the nut onto the bolt (which is all a shear pin is - a nut and a bolt).

You should consider teaching your wife how to change out a shear pin as it is a very easy process (no crawling around required) and would likely give her a sense of ownership and accomplishment. It takes more time to get the replacement shear pin (nut & bolt) and wrench than it does to actually replace it. If you have her do it a few times she will be more comfortable and confident should she ever have to do it under real world conditions. I believe every snowblower out there except for the higher end Yamaha's use shear pins as a fail safe in their augers drives.

This message was modified Dec 31, 2010 by FrankMA

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
trouts2

Reply #33   Dec 31, 2010 7:50 am
rubinew, I was hoping there would be more Yamaha users on this site.

Are you kidding..... here???  Most of the deadbeat broke posters here are homeless guys who get online at the local library.   Nobody has the bucks for a decent machine.  They post about upgrading to new machines but most cant' afford to upgrade their mittens.  You'd do better getting information from the Santaclause guy at a mall.

rubinew, you have this but others might want to check it out >>Online Yamaha brochure, has spec's : http://old.nabble.com/file/p30366721/2011_sb_en.pdf

This message was modified Dec 31, 2010 by trouts2
rubinew

Reply #34   Dec 31, 2010 8:20 am
Shryp wrote:
This is easy to fix.  Hand her a shear pin in 1 hand and a shovel in the other and see which one wins :)

:-) I might need a lawyer standing beside me as well!!! Hee hee
tkrotchko

Reply #35   Dec 31, 2010 8:28 am
trouts2 wrote:

Are you kidding..... here???  Most of the deadbeat broke posters here are homeless guys who get online at the local library.   Nobody has the bucks for a decent machine.  They post about upgrading to new machines but most cant' afford to upgrade their mittens.  You'd do better getting information from the Santaclause guy at a mall.

rubinew, you have this but others might want to check it out >>Online Yamaha brochure, has spec's : http://old.nabble.com/file/p30366721/2011_sb_en.pdf

Great link. The Yamaha snowblowers look more substantial because of the shroud they put around the engine (I have to admit, I like it). And I like the fact that in their top of the line machines, you can lock tracks to steer. But until you get to the 1232, they look similar to the Honda (except for the blue. Love the blue). I'd guess Honda & Yamaha limit their snowblower sales in the U.S. because of the competition from MTD (and all the brands they own), Toro, Ariens and a host of other brands that make it tough to sell expensive snowblowers in the U.S. And those Yamaha's look every bit as pricey as the Honda's, if not more so. Even my local Honda dealer required people to order larger Honda snowblowers back in July, since they claim to have a hard time selling expensive snowblowers, even in a relatively affluent area.
borat

Reply #36   Dec 31, 2010 10:16 am
I'd go with the Yamaha. 

The reason is that it has everything the Honda has, will do everything the Honda can and has important features the Honda doesn't.   Personally, I'd get  YS928J.  Just make sure you have a place large enough to store it and maneuver it in and out.

Also, by giving Yamaha the business, it might help sustain their commitment to providing snow blowers to the North American market.  Something we haven't seen in decades.
aa335

Reply #37   Dec 31, 2010 10:18 am
trouts2 wrote:

Wow, what great wisdom.  That's useful advice you can take to the bank.  I'm sure you have good story to go with that one.
MN_Runner

Reply #38   Dec 31, 2010 10:34 am
What is wrong with being homeless?  Or writing something about snowblower from the library?  It is not all that rare being homeless and educated.  But simultaneously being homeless, educated and interested in fine snowblowers maybe remote.  At least it is warm inside and the sidewalks are plowed and the wi-fi is free inside the public library. 
aa335

Reply #39   Dec 31, 2010 10:40 am
I think you may have seen a movie about this kind of scenario.  I think it had Joe Peschi and Brandon Frasier in it.  :)
Steve_Cebu

Reply #40   Dec 31, 2010 10:47 am
rubinew wrote:

The reason there aren't many Yamaha owners on this site is because Yamaha will not sell them in the US. I think that is a bad move on their part but then again look at Toro they still make their own units not chinese clones or cheap jun like some brands and yet people aren't aware of them like they are Ariens. Dealers push Ariens like their lives depended on it at least the ones I've been to. My wife would not be able to change a shear pin. I'd come back and it would need a lot more "Fixing" than a shear pin if she were to try and fix it.

I love my wife but when it comes to anything mechanical she's 100% blonde. ooooooh what does this button do *Press* <<>Warning Self-Destruct<>> BOOM!

borat

Reply #41   Dec 31, 2010 10:49 am
trouts2 wrote:

We've been exposed!!!

Trouts you sombiatch......
This message was modified Dec 31, 2010 by borat
aa335

Reply #42   Dec 31, 2010 11:01 am
Steve_Cebu wrote:
The reason there aren't many Yamaha owners on this site is because Yamaha will not sell them in the US. I think that is a bad move on their part but then again look at Toro they still make their own units not chinese clones or cheap jun like some brands and yet people aren't aware of them like they are Ariens. Dealers push Ariens like their lives depended on it at least the ones I've been to. My wife would not be able to change a shear pin. I'd come back and it would need a lot more "Fixing" than a shear pin if she were to try and fix it.

I love my wife but when it comes to anything mechanical she's 100% blonde. ooooooh what does this button do *Press* <<>Warning Self-Destruct<>> BOOM!

I have similar sentiment with Ariens dealers.  Several dealers I visited were aggressively pushing Ariens product, rude and arrogant, and were so quick to badmouth other brands, while glorifying their brands with thick American steel and made in America blind propaganda.  Not for me thank you.  Show me what your product can do and how well or thoughtful it was designed.  I'm quite capable of making my own mind.
aa335

Reply #43   Dec 31, 2010 11:11 am
rubinew wrote:

I'm not sure how having a lawyer present would be of any benefit to you.  Unless you're looking for a deduction for lawyer fees.

At $300+ an hour, I rather change the shear pins myself.  Take the wife and kids out to dinner with that $300 saved on the lawyer.
MN_Runner

Reply #44   Dec 31, 2010 11:33 am
 Library is a nice option.  No shear pins to worry about, no fire recalls, no motor oil change, no carb-icing issue and no need to hire lawyers.  I only wish my local library opens early and closes really late so I have extra time to post at this forum.  I heard Canada libraries are warmer and have faster wi-fi systems.
This message was modified Dec 31, 2010 by MN_Runner
Bill_H

Reply #45   Dec 31, 2010 12:36 pm
rubinew wrote:
The honda has not been ruled out, but feature wise, it is losing points. The weight thing is the last thing to deal with :-)

I'm not sure why you consider weight an issue, unless you plan to lift it into your truck to do multiple properties -- something I once had to do and purchased a Toro single stage for that very reason. Have you considered the advantage more weight brings? Traction. That's A Good Thing, and you'll need as much as you can get from your description of the conditions at your place.  It might be a little harder to move around the garage when it's not running, but how many minutes per year are you going to do that as compared to how many hours per year you'll be clearing snow?

Just something to consider.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
rubinew

Reply #46   Dec 31, 2010 12:59 pm
aa335 wrote:
I'm not sure how having a lawyer present would be of any benefit to you.  Unless you're looking for a deduction for lawyer fees.

At $300+ an hour, I rather change the shear pins myself.  Take the wife and kids out to dinner with that $300 saved on the lawyer.

Hee hee, if I held a shovel like the previous poster mentioned, I would likely need a lawyer.

The problem with the shear pins is that I go to Toronto for a week every month. I can not imagine her trying to change a shear pin, in -20 weather.

It is sometimes a challenge to get the old pin out, plus line up the shaft with the auger, when it is cold, and iced, I would be very un popular :-)

rubinew

Reply #47   Dec 31, 2010 1:03 pm
Bill_H wrote:
I'm not sure why you consider weight an issue, unless you plan to lift it into your truck to do multiple properties -- something I once had to do and purchased a Toro single stage for that very reason. Have you considered the advantage more weight brings? Traction. That's A Good Thing, and you'll need as much as you can get from your description of the conditions at your place.  It might be a little harder to move around the garage when it's not running, but how many minutes per year are you going to do that as compared to how many hours per year you'll be clearing snow?

I fully agree with you, I think the weight will help keep the auger in the snow, and give extra traction.

Just have to make sure the weight does not stop my wife from being able to use it. She doesn't need to be out there for hours, but if she can clear for her Van, then we are good.

The tracks are very hard to turn when not under power, even for me. But with the tracks moving, esp on snow, it was OK, not as easy as Wheels, but manageable.

tkrotchko

Reply #48   Dec 31, 2010 1:07 pm
Bill_H wrote:

I just fired up my Honda up and was moving it around in the garage and as long as you keep the speed low and the tracks moving, I had no issue spinning it or moving it around. And I'm not a big guy, either.
rubinew

Reply #49   Dec 31, 2010 1:08 pm
trouts2 wrote:

Ouch, deadbeat homeless guys?? I am getting advice from these guys :-)

Thanks for the Link, I did not have that same brochure!

I think I see a Yamaha in our future, just need to get one in stock for my wife to take for a test drive!

borat

Reply #50   Dec 31, 2010 1:10 pm
BillH is right. 

If the conditions are as bad as you say, the weight will be an advantage.   The machine is steerable under it's own power and has reverse.   Use the machine's motive ability to move it.  No need trying to wrestle something like that around without power.  Otherwise you'll be experiencing  a back injury.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #51   Dec 31, 2010 2:30 pm
aa335 wrote:
I have similar sentiment with Ariens dealers.  Several dealers I visited were aggressively pushing Ariens product, rude and arrogant, and were so quick to badmouth other brands, while glorifying their brands with thick American steel and made in America blind propaganda.  Not for me thank you.  Show me what your product can do and how well or thoughtful it was designed.  I'm quite capable of making my own mind.

The Ariens dealer here is the same. Toro is made in the US so they can't use that arguement. But they push Ariens so much it makes me wonder why. If Ariens is all that and a bag of chips, why do a hard sell on it? Maybe they get more profit or something? Ariens did not impress me in anyway. The Toro and Honda did. Pushy dealers turn me off to the product.

aa335

Reply #52   Dec 31, 2010 2:37 pm
I'm not sure what is the motivation for pushing Ariens so hard.  I mean I know it's money but there is something else involved.  They were pushing so hard it became insulting and condescending.  Makes me wonder what kind of attitude they represent when I have to get it serviced under warranty.  I went with my gut and took my money elsewhere.
snowmachine

Reply #53   Dec 31, 2010 7:17 pm
Cool.  Be sure to take lots of pics if you do get one of these blue monsters!!!!

rubinew wrote:
\

I think I see a Yamaha in our future, just need to get one in stock for my wife to take for a test drive!

rubinew

Reply #54   Dec 31, 2010 9:43 pm
For sure, what ever I get, I will post some pics, maybe even get the wife to take a video.

Or I could vidoe tape her using it :-)

Happy New Year to Everyone!

Steve_Cebu

Reply #55   Dec 31, 2010 11:29 pm
aa335 wrote:
I'm not sure what is the motivation for pushing Ariens so hard.  I mean I know it's money but there is something else involved.  They were pushing so hard it became insulting and condescending.  Makes me wonder what kind of attitude they represent when I have to get it serviced under warranty.  I went with my gut and took my money elsewhere.

I went through the exact same thing. They pushed so hard even knowing that I was primarily interested ina Toro of which they had plenty in stock. I bought a Honda 928TAS then after a serious bout of buyers remorse returned it and got the Toro and am very happy I did. Ariens might make a fine machine but pushy dealers is just odd. I mean they sell John Deere, Ariens and Toro during peak season it's like selling water in the desert. I don't trustthe local Simplicity dealer. I've heard bad things about them. Not the product but the dealer taking too long to fix things scams and rip offs so I didn't consider one because of the dealer. I did try one out in another city but didn't like it over the Toro.

Service is ok at the Toro/Ariens dealer even tho they mostly sell John Deere stuff year round.

Steve_Cebu

Reply #56   Dec 31, 2010 11:30 pm
rubinew wrote:
For sure, what ever I get, I will post some pics, maybe even get the wife to take a video.

Or I could vidoe tape her using it :-)

Happy New Year to Everyone!

I take pics of my wife using our Toro and she takes vids of me, it's a lot of fun. I took vids of her at a New Years eve party where she and her Filipno friends got pretty wild. Gotta put those up tommorrow.

aa335

Reply #57   Dec 31, 2010 11:50 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
I take pics of my wife using our Toro and she takes vids of me, it's a lot of fun. I took vids of her at a New Years eve party where she and her Filipno friends got pretty wild. Gotta put those up tommorrow.

Geez, I can't wait.  :)
rubinew

Reply #58   Jan 1, 2011 1:26 am
Steve_Cebu wrote:

hmmmm, we seem to be straying from the topic!!! :-)
Steve_Cebu

Reply #59   Jan 1, 2011 1:31 am
rubinew wrote:
hmmmm, we seem to be straying from the topic!!! :-)

Life has diversions from time to time.

Anyway I hope to see some pics/vids of your soon to be new Yamaha snowblower.

rubinew

Reply #60   Jan 1, 2011 2:25 am
borat wrote:
BillH is right. 

If the conditions are as bad as you say, the weight will be an advantage.   The machine is steerable under it's own power and has reverse.   Use the machine's motive ability to move it.  No need trying to wrestle something like that around without power.  Otherwise you'll be experiencing  a back injury.

Hey Borat, happy new year!

I agree, the weight may be an advantage. The 624 at 250 lbs sure chewed up some ice and packed snow, I am sure the 928 will do better.

You are right about the back injury!! I tried to move the 624 in the show room, turned off, not possible. Those tracks sure grip :-) Same with the 928 Honda.

The Honda has a lever, to disengage the transmission, to help move when off, still a bit of a struggle, as the shaft and part of the drive still turned, could feel the resistance.

The Yamaha just has the pins that you can pull, to unlock the tracks from the drive shaft, this made it very easy to roll around. Only prob, it was a bit of a task to line up the holes and get the pins seated back in place.

Of course one would only do this at the end/beginning of season, then they would stay put.

Jake08

Reply #61   Jan 2, 2011 1:29 pm
Hey Rubinew,

Sounds like a snow fence positioned back in the field a bit could eliminate some of those 4 foot, hard packed drifts. Is that an option? Might make life easier in general.
rubinew

Reply #62   Jan 2, 2011 1:52 pm
Jake08 wrote:
Hey Rubinew,

Sounds like a snow fence positioned back in the field a bit could eliminate some of those 4 foot, hard packed drifts. Is that an option? Might make life easier in general.

The town runs a snow fence, but they stop short, which is strange because the road continues to the water plant.

Me and a neighbour are going to extend it next year, if we have to do it ourselves!

But when the snow blows for 5 days straight at 40 - 70 kms, the fence only stops so much :-)

rubinew

Reply #63   Jan 6, 2011 9:30 pm
Just an update:

It appears the YS928J is a liitle hard to get right now!!!  Guess it makes sense, we had record snow fall in November.

Anyways, the Dealer has been told by Yamaha that they have nothing for him till early February. He is calling other Dealers in Alberta, Manitoba, etc, to check for inventory.

I had to pick a model that seems to be very popular in Saskatchewan this year

I hope to have better news early next week...

Steve_Cebu

Reply #64   Jan 7, 2011 12:40 am
rubinew wrote:
Just an update:

It appears the YS928J is a liitle hard to get right now!!!  Guess it makes sense, we had record snow fall in November.

Anyways, the Dealer has been told by Yamaha that they have nothing for him till early February. He is calling other Dealers in Alberta, Manitoba, etc, to check for inventory.

I had to pick a model that seems to be very popular in Saskatchewan this year

I hope to have better news early next week...

Wow, I sure hope you can get one this year! Still it's better to get exactly what you want rather than have buyers remorse getting what you don't really want.

Paul7

Reply #65   Jan 7, 2011 1:34 am
If these links work here's videos of the Yamaha's in action.  From their Japanese site they also claim that each model is designed to be operated continuously for two hours on a tank of gas.  The site also notes that the warranty also provides for a free replacement machine is yours in stolen within the first year of purchase.  I'm serious.  Now that's a warranty!

http://www.yamaha-motor.jp/snowthrower/detail/popup/0006.html

http://www.yamaha-motor.jp/snowthrower/detail/popup/0002.html

http://www.yamaha-motor.jp/snowthrower/detail/popup/0010.html

http://www.yamaha-motor.jp/snowthrower/detail/popup/0009.html

http://www.yamaha-motor.jp/snowthrower/detail/popup/0011.html

http://www.yamaha-motor.jp/snowthrower/detail/popup/0014.html
rubinew

Reply #66   Jan 11, 2011 10:45 am
Ok,

So it turns out the Yamaha Dealer in Regina won't see any till mid February, and even then, no promises.

I did find one YS928J in Saskatoon, last one in the Province.

As Luck would have it, I have a Service Call in Saskatoon today!! 

So I am heading up there now!  I will update tonight!!

aa335

Reply #67   Jan 11, 2011 10:58 am
rubinew wrote:
Ok,

So it turns out the Yamaha Dealer in Regina won't see any till mid February, and even then, no promises.

I did find one YS928J in Saskatoon, last one in the Province.

As Luck would have it, I have a Service Call in Saskatoon today!! 

So I am heading up there now!  I will update tonight!!

I know it's tempting to score a baby blue but isn't it late in the season? Inventory is scarce and you are at the mercy of the dealer, plus chasing down remains. Wouldn't it be better to put in an order or deposit for next production delivery. Just throwing it out there for thoughts.
MN_Runner

Reply #68   Jan 11, 2011 7:49 pm
If he gets the BLUE now, he may have some chance to use it. The winter is not over until May.  He got three solid months to use it.
Underdog

Reply #69   Jan 11, 2011 10:03 pm
Rubinew, let nothing stand between you and your destiny. We wannabees are rooting for you.  You may be the first the first American to do this. You wouldn't let us down? Deprive us of this simple joy (al be it vicariously)?  Its a long winter here.  What else do we have to do? Look at the smile on this guy's face, does he look like he has any regrets:

This message was modified Jan 11, 2011 by Underdog

Steve_Cebu

Reply #70   Jan 11, 2011 10:14 pm
Underdog wrote:
Rubinew, let nothing stand between you and your destiny. We wannabees are rooting for you.  You may be the first the first American to do this. You wouldn't let us down? Deprive us of this simple joy (al be it vicariously)?  Its a long winter here.  What else do we have to do? Look at the smile on this guy's face, does he look like he has any regrets:

Actually he wouldn't be the first American to buy one as he's Canadian.

Still I'm hoping he gets one.

rubinew

Reply #71   Jan 11, 2011 11:11 pm
Well I made the PLUNGE!!!!!!

I Purchased the YS928J from Saskatoon, and it is one beautifull beast! Wow.

I took it for a quick test run, chewed into the side drifts a couple times, made a few turns.

It will take some getting used too, but does this thing dig, and eat, WOW.  I will have to adjust the skids a touch, I noticed I took some of the paint of the tips of the Auger, so it must just be licking the pavement when tilted forward. The Auger on Yamaha does extend slightly past the sides and bottom of the housing.

It is -24C tonight, so a very short test run. I only took a couple quick pics with my phone, will take better pics with a real camera, when I have more time to play!

This message was modified Jan 12, 2011 by rubinew
rubinew

Reply #72   Jan 11, 2011 11:13 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
If he gets the BLUE now, he may have some chance to use it. The winter is not over until May.  He got three solid months to use it.

CORRECT!!!

In Fact they are predicting 2-4 cm snow for tomorrow, and 5-10 cm for Thursday. Also the Wind will pick up, so I think I will get lots of use out of this Beast!

This message was modified Jan 11, 2011 by rubinew
Paul7

Reply #73   Jan 11, 2011 11:25 pm
Congrats and good luck with your Yamaha.  That's one pretty snow blower.  I think that I have BLUE envy.  I mean seriously if the Playmate of the Year was operating that machine wearing a bikini...I'm afraid to admit that I'd be staring a the Yamaha. 
aa335

Reply #74   Jan 11, 2011 11:31 pm
Rubinew,

Congrats.  Very nice machine.  Hope to see some videos of it in action.  No need for Playmate of the Year in a bikini.  I just want to see the Yamaha. 
Steve_Cebu

Reply #75   Jan 12, 2011 1:32 am
rubinew wrote:
Well I made the PLUNGE!!!!!!

I Purchased the YS928J from Saskatoon, and it is one beautifull beast! Wow.

I took it for a quick test run, chewed into the side drifts a couple times, made a few turns.

It will take some getting used too, but does this thing dig, and eat, WOW.  I will have to adjust the skids a touch, I noticed I took some of the paint of the tips of the Auger, so it must just be licking the pavement when tilted forward. The Auger on Yamaha does extend slightly past the sides and bottom of the housing.

It is -24C tonight, so a very short test run. I only took a couple quick pics with my phone, will take better pics with a real camera, when I have more time to play!

Congratulations! Great looking machine you have there. Good for a lifetime. I adjusted my skids after I had gotten mine home. Munching that snow will be a breeze now.

Underdog

Reply #76   Jan 12, 2011 6:37 am
I'm speechless. Choked with emotion. There are tears falling from my eyes. You never let us down Rubinew.  I would be curled up sleeping next to this blue thing in the garage (if my spouse found out  I  did this).  I look forward to hearing more.  Did you have any trouble getting it home?
This message was modified Jan 12, 2011 by Underdog

MN_Runner

Reply #77   Jan 12, 2011 6:54 am
rubinew,

Congrats on your great purchase.  I wish you (just your driveway only) a very long and snowy winter until May 1.  Look forward to hearing more from you.

trouts2

Reply #78   Jan 12, 2011 7:21 am
rubinew, it would be nice if you can post over the season what you think about the machine and it's performance.  

I've had and used YS624s tracks and 828 wheeled machines and think they are the best snowblowers available and worthy of their price.

If you get a manual with exploded view please post the views of the tractor section and auger gearbox.  I can't find any drawings online. 

FrankMA

Reply #79   Jan 12, 2011 7:23 am
Underdog wrote:
I'm speechless. Choked with emotion. There are tears falling from my eyes. You never let us down Rubinew.  I would be curled up sleeping next to this blue thing in the garage (if my spouse found out  I  did this).  I look forward to hearing more.  Did you have any trouble getting it home?

This is kind of like the end of a good campy type movie when the guy gets the girl, the dog is happy, the sun is shining and all is right with the world!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

rubinew

Reply #80   Jan 12, 2011 9:43 am
trouts2 wrote:
rubinew, it would be nice if you can post over the season what you think about the machine and it's performance.  

I've had and used YS624s tracks and 828 wheeled machines and think they are the best snowblowers available and worthy of their price.

If you get a manual with exploded view please post the views of the tractor section and auger gearbox.  I can't find any drawings online. 

I will definately be updating throughout the season

I will even post a review when I have the time.

No real exploded views in manual, I will post what there is!

rubinew

Reply #81   Jan 12, 2011 9:45 am
Thanks to everyone for their comments!! It was a huge decision to spend this much on a snow blower, but I won't regret it.!!!!

-26C this morning, went up to it, put throttle to 'fast', turned key, Vrooomm!!

One thing to note, there is no manual pull start on this beast. If you run the battery down, you have to boost it, like a car

rubinew

Reply #82   Jan 12, 2011 12:50 pm
Ok, took out a real camera, so here are a few better pics!! Come on snow, I am Ready now!!

Steve_Cebu

Reply #83   Jan 12, 2011 1:24 pm
That is one serious piece of machinery! Great Pics too! 
This message was modified Jan 12, 2011 by Steve_Cebu

Underdog

Reply #84   Jan 12, 2011 1:28 pm
Do they throw in the charger for the battery or a cover for free?

This message was modified Jan 12, 2011 by Underdog

njal

Reply #85   Jan 12, 2011 10:23 pm
That thing is the cats az* ! Lots of luck with it.
rubinew

Reply #86   Jan 12, 2011 11:47 pm
Underdog wrote:
Do they throw in the charger for the battery or a cover for free?

Yeah! I wish, I had to barter just to get the same price as offered in Regina. Once the Saskatoon Dealer knew he had the last ones in Saskatchewan, he wasn't too eager to deal!

My Dealer in Regina tried to see if the Yamaha Rep could transfer one from Saskatoon to Regina, but no go, guy knew he could sell it.

I am not sure if I will get the cover, any experience with them??? It will be stored in the Garage, in that situation I usually find that covers tend to trap moisture in, adds to risk of corrosion. Also attracts critters.

trouts2

Reply #87   Jan 13, 2011 8:38 am
  Never knew they put in a fan housing liner.   What is the clearance?
borat

Reply #88   Jan 13, 2011 9:53 am
Very nice rubinew.  Congrats!

I noticed that it has a three vane impeller.  That's a bit unusual for a high end modern machine.  Most newer domestics seem to be going with 4 to 6 vanes.  Not saying there's anything wrong with three vanes.  Just a little different.   Yamaha obviously make a very sophisticated, advanced machine.  I'm certain they know what's need to get the job done.
aa335

Reply #89   Jan 13, 2011 11:30 am
borat wrote:
Very nice rubinew.  Congrats!

I noticed that it has a three vane impeller.  That's a bit unusual for a high end modern machine.  Most newer domestics seem to be going with 4 to 6 vanes.  Not saying there's anything wrong with three vanes.  Just a little different.   Yamaha obviously make a very sophisticated, advanced machine.  I'm certain they know what's need to get the job done.

The Honda is a 3 vane also.  The blades are identical to the Yamaha.  Maybe number of vanes is dependent on impeller speed.
rubinew

Reply #90   Jan 13, 2011 11:38 am
trouts2 wrote:
  Never knew they put in a fan housing liner.   What is the clearance?

Hmmm, just a quick check, sorry, didn't measure, but I say the thickness of a quarter at the bottom, but widens to about twice that at the exit chute.

Steve_Cebu

Reply #91   Jan 13, 2011 2:36 pm
rubinew wrote:
Hmmm, just a quick check, sorry, didn't measure, but I say the thickness of a quarter at the bottom, but widens to about twice that at the exit chute.

I'd rather have 3 vanes that work and throw the heavy snow very far than a snowblower with  10 vanes that clogs and throws the snow 10 feet.

To paraphrase an old saying "It's not the amount of vanes in your snowblower but how you use them."

rubinew

Reply #92   Jan 13, 2011 3:02 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
I'd rather have 3 vanes that work and throw the heavy snow very far than a snowblower with  10 vanes that clogs and throws the snow 10 feet.

To paraphrase an old saying "It's not the amount of vanes in your snowblower but how you use them."

That is the truth!!! These 3 vanes had no problem tossing snow to the other side of the road!

The Plastic Liner is about 3/16 of an inch thick, took a couple of scratches from a few rocks, but looks durable. The liner is removable (2 screws, 2 edge plates held in with nuts), so it can be replaced once beat up!

This message was modified Jan 13, 2011 by rubinew
aa335

Reply #93   Jan 13, 2011 3:05 pm
Hey that gives me an idea. Instead of the Clearance impeller kit, why not line the impeller housing with the plastic to reduce the gap? Two in one
Steve_Cebu

Reply #94   Jan 13, 2011 3:26 pm
rubinew wrote:
That is the truth!!! These 3 vanes had no problem tossing snow to the other side of the road!

The Plastic Liner is about 3/16 of an inch thick, took a couple of scratches from a few rocks, but looks durable. The liner is removable (2 screws, 2 edge plates held in with nuts), so it can be replaced once beat up!

My entire chute is plastic!

Still it must be nice to have a Yamaha. Scratches in the chute and inside the bucket are no biggie anyway. Have you seen any of my videos on YouTube? How does your Yamaha throw compared to the Toro?

rubinew

Reply #95   Jan 13, 2011 3:32 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:

Still it must be nice to have a Yamaha. Scratches in the chute and inside the bucket are no biggie anyway. Have you seen any of my videos on YouTube? How does your Yamaha throw compared to the Toro?

My old MTD has a plastic chute!! It has been there for 14 years!

Yes I have seen your videos, great job on those! Hope to make a few of my own, when it warms up!

The Yamaha would throw as well as the Toro, I was getting about 40 feet today, could easily make the snow land on the other side of the road.

Steve_Cebu

Reply #96   Jan 13, 2011 3:45 pm
rubinew wrote:
My old MTD has a plastic chute!! It has been there for 14 years!

Yes I have seen your videos, great job on those! Hope to make a few of my own, when it warms up!

The Yamaha would throw as well as the Toro, I was getting about 40 feet today, could easily make the snow land on the other side of the road.

Thanks glad you liked them.

With the wind I was easily throwing 60 feet in open areas with the Toro. I'll have to measure it when the wind isn't blowing. I would think your Big Blue would easily out throw my Toro in a side by side comparison.

rubinew

Reply #97   Jan 13, 2011 3:54 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Thanks glad you liked them.

With the wind I was easily throwing 60 feet in open areas with the Toro. I'll have to measure it when the wind isn't blowing. I would think your Big Blue would easily out throw my Toro in a side by side comparison.

The specs are for 16 meters, which is about 52 feet. So I think under ideal conditions, it would hit that!

Your Toro is throwing very well, I think they would be close, from what I could judge.

aa335

Reply #98   Jan 13, 2011 4:34 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:

Then you should line it with metal.    Heck, most of the impeller housing plastic too.  I'm surprised David didn't make fun of that a while back. 

Speaking of which, the chute not David, I see it's pretty easy for you to change the direction of the chute on the Toro.   Do you feel any resistance when the snow is blowing through it?  On my 421Q, it's pretty hard to change the chute direction while blowing heavy snow.  I either have to slow down or stop to rotate the chute. 
This message was modified Jan 13, 2011 by aa335
billywhiskers

Reply #99   Jan 13, 2011 5:40 pm
I had an MTD with an all plastic chute. Once the top part was clogging up with sticky snow so I gave it a bit of a cuff with the back of my mittened hand. The whole thing fell off the blower. It wasn't broken, just had to be re-installed. I always said that in one small way that blower was like a high performance race car....I'd use it once and then have to rebuild it for the next event. At a retail price of about $1100 + tax I couldn't expect too much of that old MTD. Now I've got an Ariens that ruined most of $2500 and it falls apart too. Not much plastic on it though, i will say that. 

Rubinew, congrats on the Yamaha, that is one wicked looking machine!! I'm envious.

This message was modified Jan 13, 2011 by billywhiskers
rubinew

Reply #100   Jan 13, 2011 6:47 pm
billywhiskers wrote:
I had an MTD with an all plastic chute. Once the top part was clogging up with sticky snow so I gave it a bit of a cuff with the back of my mittened hand. The whole thing fell off the blower. It wasn't broken, just had to be re-installed. I always said that in one small way that blower was like a high performance race car....I'd use it once and then have to rebuild it for the next event. At a retail price of about $1100 + tax I couldn't expect too much of that old MTD. Now I've got an Ariens that ruined most of $2500 and it falls apart too. Not much plastic on it though, i will say that. 

Rubinew, congrats on the Yamaha, that is one wicked looking machine!! I'm envious.

Well I can tell you this, if I experience similar issues with this Yamaha, like you have had with your Ariens, I will SNAP!

This unit seems well made, like a tank, so I expect it to wear well.

Steve_Cebu

Reply #101   Jan 13, 2011 6:52 pm
aa335 wrote:
Then you should line it with metal.    Heck, most of the impeller housing plastic too.  I'm surprised David didn't make fun of that a while back. 

Speaking of which, the chute not David, I see it's pretty easy for you to change the direction of the chute on the Toro.   Do you feel any resistance when the snow is blowing through it?  On my 421Q, it's pretty hard to change the chute direction while blowing heavy snow.  I either have to slow down or stop to rotate the chute. 

Line it with metal he says  I'm real happy with my plastic chute sure it rattles a little bit but it never binds. I think my impeller housing is metal tho.

It's very easy to change the direction of the snow stream but you KNOW there is snow going through it. You can feel it as you move the chute, but it's not difficult. It definitely has a resistance and the more snow you are moving the more resistance it has. My wife has more trouble moving it than I do but sometimes she gets nervous about hitting things in the driveway or going too fast so that plays into it as well. As you can see in the video I don't have to slow down or stop. When I do it's because of the driveway. The EOD is on an angle and all of my driveway is uphill. The wind usually blows from one side and always in the winter but no breeze in the summer.

Shryp

Reply #102   Jan 14, 2011 11:48 am
aa335 wrote:

DavidNJ was too busy making fun of the reinforcing on the load bearing metal parts to notice the plastic parts.
aa335

Reply #103   Jan 15, 2011 12:39 am
Well, he was probably busy making this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5jnyu5Muc0&feature=related
Shryp

Reply #104   Jan 15, 2011 4:22 am
aa335 wrote:
Well, he was probably busy making this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5jnyu5Muc0&feature=related

Oh yea, forgot he made that video.
Replies: 1 - 104 of 104View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42