Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 7hp, ST724, model# 932027 attachment sheave play

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
CraigN

Ariens 7hp, ST724, model# 932027 attachment sheave play
Original Message   Dec 8, 2010 11:13 am
Hey all. Just new to the forum and hope someone can assist me. I have a 1995 vintage Ariens 7hp, ST724, model# is 932027. It has always run great and served me flawlessly over the past 14 winters here in central PA.

At the end of the last winter after using it to dig us out of the 60 + inches of snow we had in February, I noticed the attachment clutch was squealing when I engaged the blower attachment so I purchased new v-belts for the traction drive and blower attachment and just installed them last weekend. After I reassembled the blower I tried it out and the attachment belt made a loud noise and was thrown off the sheave. I checked the large attachment sheave and it wasn't lined up with the idler pulley. I loosened the front blower attachment and re-assembled the unit again this time trying to move the bottom bolts that are in a slot further away from the engine section and it seemed to align the belt better. I used ascrewdriver to pull back on the pulley where it passes through the blower rear section and it moved about an inch.

When I restarted the blower and engaged the blower clutch, the new belt now stays on and is aligned with the idler pulley but there is a noticable metal grinding noise that I did not have before.

We haven't had any snow so I haven't been able to try the blower under load but it seems that the impeller shaft bearing may be shot. Or maybe the noise in the auger will go away once I get it loaded with snow.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig

Replies: 5 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CraigN

Re: Ariens 7hp, ST724, model# 932027 attachment sheave play
Reply #5   Dec 9, 2010 3:03 pm
Yes
CraigN

Reply #6   Dec 15, 2010 9:46 am
Here's an update...had the local shop where I buy all of my outdoor equipment look at my Ariens snow blower. They used to sell Ariens but no longer carry them. They said that the front transmission/gearbox is shot and needs replaced and they expect it to cost around $250. They said that was a common problem with most Ariens blowers. I can't find anyone locally who carries rebuilt or used attachment buckets so I guess that I will have to bite the bullet and have them make the repairs.

If I had the time I would try it myself but I'm not sure how available the parts are. 

Are the replacement parts going to be of the same quality as the 1995 vintage parts or did Ariens upgrade the gearbox parts in the newer machines? 

Thanks

trouts2

Reply #7   Dec 15, 2010 11:57 am

>>They said that the front transmission/gearbox is shot and needs replaced and they expect it to cost around $250.

Ariens does not source the old main parts of worm, shaft or gear for that gearbox anymore.  They only offer a replacement gearbox assembly which includes the drive shaft with worm, gearbox and rake arms as an assembly.  It’s $179 online.  There’s a thread on it with pictures here :

http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/52242-0-1.html

Possibly they may have new parts from old stock or quoting with used parts for the repair like have a complete assembly out of a similar bucket.   

>>If I had the time I would try it myself but I'm not sure how available the parts are.

The repair is not so difficult technically but rust makes it a bear.  The pulley, auger support bearing, pulley flange and impeller will probably be rust frozen and difficult to deal with. You might have to bring the impeller to a shop to have it heated and put in a press to get off - $50-$75.  

>>Are the replacement parts going to be of the same quality as the 1995 vintage parts or did Ariens upgrade the gearbox parts in the newer machines?

The original aluminum was a pretty good gearbox.  The upgrade replacement assembly mentioned in the thread above is cast iron and seems very….very robust.

Craigslist is a good source for a bucket.   They come up all the time but not on demand so you’d have to wait until one came up.  It would be cheap and easy to swap out but hit and miss on availability. 

On the estimate.  If $250 is with the Ariens replacement cast gearbox then that seems like a very good price.  But it does not leave much for labor so may not be for the Ariens replacement cast box assembly.   If not then I’d ask what parts they are going to use.   The replacement could be more if they run into rust trouble which is very likely.  Some shops are geared up for that and some are not. 

It would be a nice summer project but you are probably pressed for winter.

Replies: 5 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42