Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Leaf Blower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
chopper

Leaf Blower
Original Message   Oct 27, 2010 5:44 pm
Well my Sears $99.00 gas leaf blower has finally given up its ghost. Can't complain since I had it for about 6 years and didn't really think it would last that long. Need a new one as the leaves are starting to pile up. Thinking of getting the low end Stihl that lists at around $149.00. I have owned their low end weed whacker for at least 12 years and it continues to run strong. Any thoughts on a new blower? Is Stihl still reliable? Thanks for your thoughts and recommendations.
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
drifter

Re: Leaf Blower
Reply #1   Oct 27, 2010 6:58 pm
I have a buddy who has a 2-stroke Stihl blower/vac, and he's very happy with it. His is the SH-55. He bought it a few years back.

http://www.stihlusa.com/blowers/SH56CE.html
This message was modified Oct 27, 2010 by drifter
aa335

Reply #2   Oct 27, 2010 7:45 pm
I have the Stihl BG 86 leaf blower.  It's pretty strong, compact, and lightweight.  It's a good performer once it starts and warms up. 

I just don't like the fact that it takes a few pulls to cold start it, warm start, just one pull.  My Stihl string trimmer is the same way, pain in the rear to cold start.  I think it's related to EPA regulations.

Can't stand that stupid gas cap, damn cam lock flip thingy.  Looks cool and all.  Takes a few tries to get it on right and tight, or you will spill gas all over your leg.  I just want a simple screw on gas cap.  I guess Stihl is German so it's got it's own quirks.
FrankMA

Reply #3   Oct 27, 2010 8:07 pm
aa335 wrote:
I have the Stihl BG 86 leaf blower.  It's pretty strong, compact, and lightweight.  It's a good performer once it starts and warms up. 

I just don't like the fact that it takes a few pulls to cold start it, warm start, just one pull.  My Stihl string trimmer is the same way, pain in the rear to cold start.  I think it's related to EPA regulations.

Can't stand that stupid gas cap, damn cam lock flip thingy.  Looks cool and all.  Takes a few tries to get it on right and tight, or you will spill gas all over your leg.  I just want a simple screw on gas cap.  I guess Stihl is German so it's got it's own quirks.

Had that happen to me last fall. Did not realize it until my leg suddenly felt real cold and then I started to smell the 50:1 fumes. Good thing I don't smoke or I could have been a goner!

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
Shryp

Reply #4   Oct 27, 2010 10:22 pm
I just picked up one of those yard vacs off craigslist for $60.  Seems to work pretty good.  Not sure how big of an area you have.
drifter

Reply #5   Oct 27, 2010 11:52 pm
I just missed out on an Echo back-pack unit. Most of the leaves are down here now, and I'm wondering if you can rent these things. I'd probably only use it one or two days a year anyway. I've got roughly 27,000 sq,ft. to clear.
friiy

Reply #6   Oct 28, 2010 1:03 am
I would go with a Echo Pb-51.... no Vac attach though...

Friiy

chopper

Reply #7   Oct 28, 2010 6:21 am
Thanks all. Last season the thing started running very rough and it became very difficult to get it started. After removing the housing I noticed the two screws holding the cylinder head on...one had loosened up a lot. Had to tear the whole thing apart to get at them. Anyway while at it I removed the other one and put high temp lock tite on both screws before putting it all back together. Also cleaned the carb. It then started right up and it got me through this past summer season, although I had to keep the choke about halfway closed in order for it to run correctly. Well I've been blowing quite a few leaves this fall and I noticed it started running rough again and I now can't get her started. I have a feeling that when one of those cylinder head screws loosened up last year with all the heat generated...I wonder if it diidn't warp the head a bit where there may be a slight leak in the head gasket. Anyway...I'm tired of playing with it as it is a real pain to take the whole thing apart again. I guess I'd rather get something that is more reliable. I almost feel like taking the thing apart again and putting some high temp gasket seal around the tiny head gasket just to see. I guess it's now the principle of the matter. I can't seem to leave a dead horse lie...but I guess that's a good thing. Thanks again all. Regards!
charlieinneedham

Reply #8   Oct 28, 2010 9:49 am
I have the Stihl blower vac Drifter mentioned above for pulling leaves out of my wife's flower/rose beds and leaves caught between the shubs and foundation.  It's an incredible time saver from pulling leaves out of areas where you can't easily blow them out into an open area.  The Stihl steel cutting/mulching blade seems to do a better job than comparable vacs made by Echo or Husqvarna.  The blower action is great, but would be tiring if there is a big area to do, 

For any bigger open area you would be be much better off with a backpack blower.  Either the Echo or Stihl ~50cc models should last you many, many years ...if... you run them dry and don't let gas/oil sit in them for prolonged periods, and use Stabil in addition for safe measure.  That's the big problem with an occasional use item - the varnish buildup if you aren't compulsive. 

Just one more thought for you.  Do you just mulch as many leaves as possible back into your lawn with a mulching mower? I've gotten more and more bold over the years mulching them back in with multiple passes with a riding mower, and doing it repeatedly during the fall so there is not a huge leaf buildup.

superbuick

Reply #9   Oct 28, 2010 9:35 pm
If it helps, i have a stihl bg86/sh86 and an echo pb251 ( now the echo pb255 ). As a vac/shredder, the stihl is the better unit. As a blower, the echo is superior. Additionally, the echo starts much more easily and is quieter. If your primary need is a handheld blower, i'd go with the echo. Even though the stihl is rated as having more cfms, in the real world the echo produces more blowing power.
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42