Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > older Ariens snow blower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
maverickfe

older Ariens snow blower
Original Message   Oct 21, 2010 9:45 pm
Hi everyone I have an older ariens 2 stage 6 hp snow blower the trouble that I have is when i try too put it in gear its hard too do. And all the forward gears do not match the shifter knob. The set screw for the shifter came out one day and ever since that day the trouble started. I bought the manual for it but it does not show any adjustments for this.

Thanks

Scott

Replies: 3 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Shryp

Re: older Ariens snow blower
Reply #3   Oct 22, 2010 4:00 am
So go to the site and get it.  There are 3 manuals you can get. Owners, Parts and Service.
trouts2

Reply #4   Oct 22, 2010 6:43 am

Without knowing the factory model number on your machine off the back lower base it’s tough to say what could be wrong.  The 6hp came in a number of body styles although very similar.  What is that number?

For a number of models there is a possible set screw that could be causing your problem.

First, here’s how things work and with understanding that can make the adjustment.

The shifter causes the long rod going down to the base to move up and down say 3 inches.  That motion gets converted inside the tractor section to 90 degrees out so a left and right movement in the direction of wheel to wheel when you shift back and forth up at the handlebars.

Inside the tractor base:

High speed forward:

The movement inside the tractor base slides a rubber friction disk across a drive plate.  When the friction disk is at the outside right of the drive plate you are in the highest forward gear.  You go the fastest forward. 

Slower speed forward:

To go slower you pull back on the shifter on the dash which causes the friction disk inside the tractor section to slide closer to the center of the drive plate.  You go forward but slower. 

Reverse:

If you move your shifter all the way to reverse.  The friction disk is slid across the drive plate center to the other side of the drive plate.  That causes the friction disk to turn in the opposite direction and you go in reverse.

So:

The shifter moves the long rod up and down causing the friction disk inside the tractor base to shift left and right.  Way right is fast speed, less right is slower speeds and across the center to the left is reverse speeds.

The adjustment is at the end of the long rod with the set screw which clamps the long rod to the rod coming out of the tractor base.  That will fix your range of left or right movement of the friction disk inside the tractor base which sets your range of speeds. 

If the long rod is too far into the adjustment barrel your friction disk inside will be offset to one side so you get reverse speeds and no forward.  If the rod is too far out you would get only forward speeds and no reverse. 

What you want to happen is have the long rod set with the set screw at the right spot so the friction disk in reverse is about 1 inch to the left of center of the drive plate and when the shifter put in forward on the right side.  

The explanation is a bit awkward but the adjustment simple.  Lift up on the handlebars and set the machine on it’s bucket.  Turn the gas shutoff to off.  Take off the bottom cover and watch what happens when you move the shifter from forward to reverse.  You can see the friction disk move across the drive plate.  Just where the friction disk moves is set by the sleeve and set screw on the that clamps the long rod to the rod from the tractor base.  Simple but tough to explain.  Looking at it move will let you understand just how to adjust.  You want the shifter to be able to put the friction disk slightly to one side of center of the drive plate and when in forward to put the

This message was modified Oct 22, 2010 by trouts2
maverickfe

Reply #5   Oct 22, 2010 2:29 pm
To answer shryp ?The Manual that I bought stright from Aries  Says Right on the Front of the Manual    PARTS AND REPAIR MANUAL...... And my model and seriel numbers I can not read them  so I sent an email too Ariens too see if they could go by the numbers off the engine.
Replies: 3 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42