Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda HS928TA Snowblower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
kderobertis

Honda HS928TA Snowblower
Original Message   Mar 9, 2010 2:21 pm
I'm looking to order a Honda HS928TA (recoil only) snowblower in mid April so I'm guaranteed to get one in late summer/early fall, but have no dealers on Long Island that have anything in stock, so I could see the physical size of this machine.

So forum members, any additional thoughts on this machine?  I have searched various threads and there are many people suggesting the HS928 over the HS724, basically because of the limited hp on the HS724.

I currently have a Ariens 624 for the last 5 years, good machine, served it's purpose, but looking to take it to the next level.  My biggest issue with the Ariens is the EOD issue, not easy but it does it job, now looking for something that won't have an issue. 

I would like to see the machine before placing a down payment, but these snowblower are very rare on Long Island (track version) and all dealers claim this is a special order unit, they don't stock them.

This message was modified Mar 9, 2010 by kderobertis

Ken

Replies: 43 - 52 of 61Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
nhmatt

Re: Honda HS928TA Snowblower
Reply #43   Mar 13, 2010 10:55 am
mikiewest wrote:
Yea ok hondas r great and everything else  is worthless.I know plenty of people who own ariens pros and they r great machines .They'll suck up your honda and spit it out  and then finish off the snow.I have a blower with a tecumseh engine and its 7yrs old and still going strong.Never needed any work on it .so where do u get your facts from??I know from this fantasy world  that you live in that only hondas r built well.what a joke.Didnt u read what steve cebu said??his 928 clogged twice not the toro....

I didn't say only Honda's are well built.  I said they were better built.  For an extra grand it may not be worth it to some folks and I can understand that, but its really like comparing a 1/2 ton to a 1 ton, or a gasoline to a diesel engine.  Sure, they both may get you there but its not the same animal. I like the older, pre-cheap Simplicity machines.  I liked them before they pulled the same crap Ariens did: Making two brands and cannabalizing more and more of itself.    I also had a Toro single stage that was great in just about everything.  I beat the tar out of it and it still came back for more, but that was 20 years ago and they've gotten cheaper just like everything else.  Ariens snowblowers (even the pro) are 3 year throw away machines.  You can get 20 years out of a snow shovel if its just you and your driveway, but if you plan on making money with one you'd better by two, because one is going to get fixed while the other one is running.  At least that way you'll always have the spare parts your going to need when that ugly orange beast shakes itself apart Given the opportunity in a robot war I have no doubt my Honda trac would be able to crush 10 zillion other snowblowers of all makes and models into shivering puddles of liquid piss.   Yeah, that's right.

My experience with snowblowers is from my own personal use, but also as a tech for a service company I talk with dozens of property managers all over New England.  Hospitals, colleges, entire school districts, I've probably got 30 maint. manager's phone #s on my cell phone.  Over the course of a Winter the topic of snow removal comes up.  Nobody is buying Ariens anymore.  In 10 years I've seen it go from 100% Ariens to 80% Torro/Simplicity.   The word is out my friend.  Ariens is junk.   I was waking through the boiler room of one hospital in Vt and saw 2 shiny new Hondas and remarked about it.  The answer I got was they can do more work with 2 Hondas than 3 of the other, so you only have to pay 2 people instead of 3!  This place gets a lot of snow. 

I'd bet money the Honda won't clog next to anything else, but if your going to compare two snowblowers you're going to have to own two snowblowers at the same time, because every storm is a different  condition.  I have done this more than once, because I replace mine before I sell the old one.  Honda's are in their own class.

aa335

Reply #44   Mar 13, 2010 11:16 am
Mikie refuses to understand reason.  He insists that Honda snowblowers are overrated and overpriced because he owns a Honda Accord.  Having not the opportunity of using a Honda snowblower, he insists that his Simp Pro with steel "nice and thick" as his head is far superior.
borat

Reply #45   Mar 13, 2010 11:48 am
Well, I've put on my rain coat and will now cautiously wade into this pi$$ fight. 

Honda is probably the best snow thrower out there.  Yamaha may be better.  We'll have to see how they prove themselves when they get to these shores.   Both are not worth the extra money if getting the job done is the sole requirement.  People spend money on what they can afford (usually moderately priced or inexpensive) or what they want (often over priced).  It's the individual's choice.  If a person is buying a Honda comparable to an equivalent leading domestic brand just to get his driveway done much quicker, well, he may be in for a disappointment.  A well maintained leading domestic brand will get the job done just as efficiently as the Honda. 

I know that some might not think that this is a fair comparison but my 928 Simplicity will out work the neighbour's 724 Honda without breaking a sweat.  Not the same machines for sure but let's not forget that I paid $1500.00 all in.  He paid $3200.00 plus 13% taxes.   So, if one has the wherewithal to afford a Honda, have at it.  I could have a garage full of anything I want.  However, that's not the way I'm put together.   I'm much like what I buy.  Not flashy or glamorous.  I get the job done just as well as the next guy usually at considerably less cost.   I take a great deal of pride in that.

As for the Toyota baiting,  I'll say this, risking the ire of some participants.  If Toyota did not build cars in North America, they would not be seeing the problems they are today.   I say this because it appears that Toyota have begun to slide down the slippery slope that got the domestic brands into trouble.   That is, taking the short cut to the profits.  The components involved in the accelerator recall were manufactured where?  Toronto.  My wife's 2007 Camry's accelerator assembly was built by Denso in Japan.  No recall on that.    My 1996 Toyota T100 was built in Japan.   I have not spent one dime on repairs in over fourteen years.  I've spent money on maintenance of usual wear items but not a cent on repairs.   When I buy a Toyota, I open the door to read where it's built.  If it isn't built in Japan, I'm not buying it.  Period.  So, I'll be taking real good care of my T100.  That's for sure.  Otherwise, I'll pay a premium to have a Japanese built vehicle shipped to me. 

I'm confident that Toyota are going through some serious self-ass-kicking right now.  If they have any sense of history and pride, which they do, they will not only recover from these serious errors in judgment, they will pull up their socks and raise the auto manufacturing bar to new levels of quality.   If they don't, I'll be sorely disappointed.      
nhmatt

Reply #46   Mar 13, 2010 12:15 pm
$3200 for a 724 Honda?   Yowsers.  I'd bet that's a $1700 machine tops. 
mikiewest

Reply #47   Mar 13, 2010 12:20 pm
AA just for you, I am going to go get an MRI Mon. and see if my head is truly nice and thick lol...I will post the results....It's amazing how this all started.Someone was asking where he could go see a Honda snowblower.Someone who owned one said it clogged on him and didnt out throw a Toro.And all I said  is ...thats a crime.Oh boy thats all it took .Here come the Honda militants....How dare you speak bad of our Honda snowblowers.They r the best,greatest blah blah ,blah blah blah blowers in the universe. You will pay for your negative comments bout honda snowblowers.Hey calm down dudes.Its ok ,so honda blowers clog.Just take your little black stick and unclog it.Maybe you can put the clarence impeller kit on your hondas and then it will hurl snow farther than a toro or ariens or simplicity w/power boost hehehe oohhhhweeee.....
kderobertis

Reply #48   Mar 13, 2010 12:22 pm
Honda 724TA goes for about $1,900 USD, what currency are we talking for $3,200?   Canadian? + 13% sales tax... has to be outside the USA.
This message was modified Mar 13, 2010 by kderobertis

Ken

aa335

Reply #49   Mar 13, 2010 12:41 pm
mikiewest wrote:
AA just for you, I am going to go get an MRI Mon. and see if my head is truly nice and thick lol...I will post the results....It's amazing how this all started.Someone was asking where he could go see a Honda snowblower.Someone who owned one said it clogged on him and didnt out throw a Toro.And all I said  is ...thats a crime.Oh boy thats all it took .Here come the Honda militants....How dare you speak bad of our Honda snowblowers.They r the best,greatest blah blah ,blah blah blah blowers in the universe. You will pay for your negative comments bout honda snowblowers.Hey calm down dudes.Its ok ,so honda blowers clog.Just take your little black stick and unclog it.Maybe you can put the clarence impeller kit on your hondas and then it will hurl snow farther than a toro or ariens or simplicity w/power boost hehehe oohhhhweeee.....

You came up with that all on your own?  I'm starting to detect some brain wave activity coming from you.

That almost sums it up.  You got most of it right, except you left out the part about  unsolicited boasting about his Simp Pro with blah blah don't clog.  Are these not your words?

"Champion Honda on Old Country Rd. had a few but sold out due to the major snow storms we had this yr.I'm sure they will have more  but you'll have to wait till Oct or Nov.Have you given the Ariens Pro or Simplicity Pro any thought?I have a Simp Pro 11570e ...great machine.Plenty of power never clogs and its built like a tank but easy to move due to the easy turn feature."

I think the original poster was asking about Honda snowblower, did he not?

Don't go out of your way just for me.  I don't want you to get a Hemorrhage.

Save your money, don't get an MRI.  It doesn't really prove anything.  Put that money towards a new car so you can get rid your miserable Honda Accord.
This message was modified Mar 13, 2010 by aa335
aa335

Reply #50   Mar 13, 2010 12:48 pm
nhmatt wrote:
$3200 for a 724 Honda?   Yowsers.  I'd bet that's a $1700 machine tops. 

That does seem quite high.  I paid less than that for a 1132TAS. 
borat

Reply #51   Mar 13, 2010 1:23 pm
The latest price on the Honda Canada site for the HST724TC is now $2699.99.  Down $300.00 from it's previous price of $2999.00.  Put 13% on that and it $3388.87, which was the price the local Honda dealership was charging when the neighbour bought his.  No discounts.  He may have had an extended warranty included in his price.  Nonetheless, still very expensive.  
This message was modified Mar 13, 2010 by borat
nhmatt

Reply #52   Mar 13, 2010 3:51 pm
That's alada money for that machine.  I wouldn't even consider it, but I'm the kind of cheap that would rather pee in the sink than use a pay toilet.  There must have been a lot of snow the year before, that's usually when people get hosed.
Replies: 43 - 52 of 61Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42