Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda HS928TA Snowblower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
kderobertis

Honda HS928TA Snowblower
Original Message   Mar 9, 2010 2:21 pm
I'm looking to order a Honda HS928TA (recoil only) snowblower in mid April so I'm guaranteed to get one in late summer/early fall, but have no dealers on Long Island that have anything in stock, so I could see the physical size of this machine.

So forum members, any additional thoughts on this machine?  I have searched various threads and there are many people suggesting the HS928 over the HS724, basically because of the limited hp on the HS724.

I currently have a Ariens 624 for the last 5 years, good machine, served it's purpose, but looking to take it to the next level.  My biggest issue with the Ariens is the EOD issue, not easy but it does it job, now looking for something that won't have an issue. 

I would like to see the machine before placing a down payment, but these snowblower are very rare on Long Island (track version) and all dealers claim this is a special order unit, they don't stock them.

This message was modified Mar 9, 2010 by kderobertis

Ken

Replies: 1 - 61 of 61View as Outline
aa335

Re: Honda HS928TA Snowblower
Reply #1   Mar 9, 2010 3:57 pm
Excellent choice for a snowblower.  The 928TAS is one of my favorite, among Simplicity and Toro's as well.

Make sure you evaluate the tracked model carefully.  It is not for everyone.  If you anywhere near Canada, perhaps you can check out the 928TCD and bring it across the border.  :)

Speaking of the border, our Canuck friends are lucky enough to have new Yamaha available shortly.  *DROOL*
Steve_Cebu

Reply #2   Mar 9, 2010 4:36 pm
kderobertis wrote:
I'm looking to order a Honda HS928TA snowblower in mid April so I'm guarenteed to get one in late summer/early fall, but have no dealers on Lond Island that have anything in stock, so I could see the physical size of this machine.

So forum members, any additional thoughts on this machine?  I have searched various threads and there are many people suggesting the HS928 over the HS724, basically because of the limited hp on the HS724.

I actually owned this machine a 928TAS and it's a great machine starts easily throws snow well. I only had the chute clog a couple of times but that was wet heavy slush. The biggest problem was my wife could not turn it with the tracks. It is not all that easy to muscle around when you are small like she is 84 lbs. I could move it around but doing so was work. I returned it and bought the Toro 1028OXE. My wife has no problems using it and I saved a ton of money over the Honda. The dual skid steer works amazingly well and the joystick on the chute is a dream to use. Yes it sounds rattley, but works like a charm! The only trouble I've had with the Toro was flat tires from roofing nails that the roofers didn't pick up after redoing our roof. A metal detector in the late spring will sort that out.

Bottom line, you can't go wrong with the Honda, you won't need the electric start, it just pulls over so easily. The tracks work great but they make steering a real effort, test one first. We did but it wasn't enough time apparantly. One thing was I felt the skid shoes at the back dug in on our uneven driveway much more than the side mounted skid shoes on the Toro.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
kderobertis

Reply #3   Mar 9, 2010 4:48 pm
I'm not concerned about the turning capability since I handle a large walk behind mower for my lawn without difficulty, but yes I would like to try one out, but on Long Island these machines are very rare.

As for who will operate this machine.... me and only me!

Thanks for your input!

Ken

aa335

Reply #4   Mar 9, 2010 5:35 pm
kderobertis wrote:
I'm not concerned about the turning capability since I handle a large walk behind mower for my lawn without difficulty, but yes I would like to try one out, but on Long Island these machines are very rare.

The front caster wheels on the large walk behind mowers are whole different animal than these snowblower with tracks with 50+ pounds weight on front skids.  Since the tracks don't have a differential, it is closely similar to turning a core aerator.
kderobertis

Reply #5   Mar 9, 2010 5:59 pm
That would be an older core aerator, the new hydro walk-behind turf aerifier by Lawn Solutions is so revolutionary that it is changing how the industry looks at aerating.

Like I said, it would be difficult to demo in my area.... but being a homeowner who is very meticulous with my grounds, I only purchase commercial grade equiptment, Scag mower weighing 500lb, Lawn Solutions slit seeder & aerator weighing 250lb each.  Pushing these machines when there powered off over grass is not so easy, so I think the Honda would fall into the same category.  Using commercial equiptment a majority of my life, I think the Honda would be manageable.

Ken

mikiewest

Reply #6   Mar 9, 2010 9:16 pm
Champion Honda on Old Country Rd. had a few but sold out due to the major snow storms we had this yr.I'm sure they will have more  but you'll have to wait till Oct or Nov.Have you given the Ariens Pro or Simplicity Pro any thought?I have a Simp Pro 11570e ...great machine.Plenty of power never clogs and its built like a tank but easy to move due to the easy turn feature.
This message was modified Mar 9, 2010 by mikiewest
kderobertis

Reply #7   Mar 10, 2010 6:09 am
Nope, it's the Honda I will be getting... that has been determined. I was going to make a visit to Champion Honda, buy have seen at least a dozen recent complains from customers. I also checked them on BBB and they gave them a grade of "F".
This message was modified Mar 10, 2010 by kderobertis

Ken

kderobertis

Reply #8   Mar 10, 2010 6:20 am
kderobertis wrote:
Nope, it's the Honda I will be getting... that has been determined. I currently have an Ariens 624, no complaints, does it's job, but looking to upgrade to the Honda. The one pull start, quite engine and hydrostatic drive are my main selling points that put this above the rest.
I was going to make a visit to Champion Honda, but have seen at least a dozen recent complaints from customers. I also checked them on BBB and they gave them a grade of "F", I guess they have no interest in correcting a bad reputation..
This message was modified Mar 10, 2010 by kderobertis

Ken

kderobertis

Reply #9   Mar 10, 2010 6:46 am
kderobertis wrote:
Nope, it's the Honda I will be getting... that has been determined. I currently have an Ariens 624, no complaints, does it's job, but looking to upgrade to the Honda. The one pull start, quite engine and hydrostatic drive are my main selling points that put this above the rest.
I was going to make a visit to Champion Honda, but have seen at least a dozen recent complaints from customers. I also checked them on BBB and they gave them a grade of "F", I guess they have no interest in correcting a bad reputation..

Ken

mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #10   Mar 10, 2010 7:13 am
Ken- There used to be a large OPE dealer in Huntington North of 25A on the West side of the street not to far from the Harbor. I haven't been up that way in a while but if he is still in business you could give him a call.He usually had the full line of Honda Blowers on the floor. There is also a dealer in Port Jefferson just off of  Route 347. Every time I have been in there he has had machines in for service as well as units on the floor. If you just need to see one for size you can try there. If I can find the names I will edit this post.

The 928 is as all 28" machines a little large to try and fit between the cars in a traditional 2 car garage. 

Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #11   Mar 10, 2010 7:25 am
Ken- Google Honda Snow Blowers and go to the factory site. There is a dealer locator feature on the bottom of the page. They list 15 dealers for Snow Equiptment in your zip code. Someones got to have one or at least one in for service they can show you.

Marc

This message was modified Mar 10, 2010 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
kderobertis

Reply #12   Mar 10, 2010 8:43 am
Marc,

The one in Huntington is called "Village Power Tools", I have purchased many things from him.... great pricing.  He doesn't stock those models.

I have tried the dealer locator on the Honda Power Equiptment website and called them all.... nobody has nothing and really doesn't want to stock much because of the economic situation.  They rather have nothing then to have a machine sitting thru the summer.  All dealers ordered less than usual for 2009 and with the few storms we received sold them all out. 

Ken

mikiewest

Reply #13   Mar 11, 2010 9:10 pm
Im shocked to hear that a Honda Snowblower would clog and cant out throw a Toro.I have filled my bucket w/all types of snow and it has never clogged.The 11.5hp B&S really makes a difference.
aa335

Reply #14   Mar 12, 2010 12:33 am
mikiewest wrote:
Im shocked to hear that a Honda Snowblower would clog and cant out throw a Toro.I have filled my bucket w/all types of snow and it has never clogged.The 11.5hp B&S really makes a difference.

I'm shocked too.  Maybe Honda should put in 11.75 hp Kawasaki so those little snowflakes don't have a chance. 

I thought B&S stopped rating engines in hp for a few years now.  The higher torque number seems to sell snowblowers better.  My local Sears salesman insists that torque numbers are actual HP, at half throttle.  That's what you get when you buy a "Craftsman Professional"  :)

There hasn't been enough snow here for me to even clog my chute.    and people in the East are calling it Snowmageddon, where's my snow???

This message was modified Mar 12, 2010 by aa335
aa335

Reply #15   Mar 12, 2010 12:46 am
kderobertis wrote:
That would be an older core aerator, the new hydro walk-behind turf aerifier by Lawn Solutions is so revolutionary that it is changing how the industry looks at aerating.

Sounds very interesting.  You must be in marketing.

All I see are the older core aerators.  Now where can I rent one of these revolutionary pluggers?
Steve_Cebu

Reply #16   Mar 12, 2010 2:57 am
mikiewest wrote:

Well the 928TAS that I had did in fact clog with wet slushy snow. Maybe because it was so new? I don't know but it was easy to fix. Also it didn't have an 11hp engine just the 9hp.

The Toro 1028 I have has not clogged even once. That's just the way it is. The Honda is a great machine but the Toro is as well IMO.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
nhmatt

Reply #17   Mar 12, 2010 5:23 am
Disclaimer:  I'm not a Honda dealer, just a passionate user.

I've had honda snowblowers for over 10 years now and the the only time they've ever clogged is when asked to throw something other than snow, like a snow shovel or blue tarp burried in the snow.  It ate the handle but clogged on the plastic blade.  I simply don't believe a Honda snowblower would ever clog in any conditions when dealing with snow.  EVER.  Slush is when they are the best.   Anybody's machine can throw powder.  I had an Ariens 1336pro that would clog so bad on even moderately wet snow I would have to let it thaw out!  

Forget about comparing motor sizes, because a 9 hp honda is stonger than a 10hp run-of the-mill Briggs (excluding Vanguard) or SnowKing or whatever else. Difference with Honda and their motor ratings is well, they're honest.  The drive on the Honda is certainly more efficient than the slip-omatic of the competition, and the HUGE reduction in weight (these machines are very manuverable) gives you more power to throw snow.    I can't justify the cost, they are much more than the same size machine in another color, but I would compare the difference between a car built now and 40 years ago.  Yes, the old Pinto was much easier to work on and didn't have any of these new-fangled things like emmisions testers and fuel injection but boy, can anybody remember shooting ether into a carberator at 0 degrees and having it catch on fire?  Hondas are expensive but they are the  best, and a joy to use.

The only caution I would give with a Honda snowblower is whether or not you need the trac, because unless you need a trac you don't want one.   Don't waste your money with electric start either,  a 6 year old could start one.

Steve_Cebu

Reply #18   Mar 12, 2010 9:12 am
I call it as I see it. I has the electric start because the dealer threw it into the deal for $50. It was very easy to start and I knew that. Tracks were a bear for my tiny wife to use. We have videos of her on YouTube with the Toro. Fact is the Honda clogged twice, maybe because it was new, I don't know. I hardly thing clogging a couple of times is anything dramatic. The entire intake chute was chock full of slush tho. This was a brand new machine, first time being used. I did not let off on the auger. I don't dislike the Honda it's just that my wife can't use it as it's too hard for her 84 lbs. to muscle around on tracks. The wheeled one wasn't much better. The Toro has dual skid steer. If Honda had that on their 928 it would be awesome. I'm not biased against Honda, the unit clogged, why is that such a big deal it was heavy slushy crap and might have been because it was brand spanking new.

superbuick

Reply #19   Mar 12, 2010 9:16 am
Why is it "Taboo" to say ANYTHING against honda? Their products aren't perfect - no products are. And as far as "honda HP is stronger than briggs HP because they are honest"....umm.....not really. Honda overestimates just as much as anybody else.
borat

Reply #20   Mar 12, 2010 10:35 am
Yo Steve:

When you had the clogging issue with the Honda, did you have it running at full throttle?   I'm not challenging the fact that it clogged.  I'm just wondering why it did.  It's certainly not a common occurrence with Honda and not too common with other well designed leading brands.  I've put my Simplicity 928 through some nasty stuff and it's never flinched.  This year the snow conditions have been very unusual.  We didn't get any cold weather snow up here.  We got three or four dumps of wet slush/rain approx. 4" deep.   The furthest it could be pushed with a snow shovel was maybe a foot or two.   The Simplicity didn't have any trouble with it.  However, it sounded more like a vaculator sucking water than a snow thrower.  It was throwing it a good distance too.  

Who knows?  Maybe the Honda's belt needed adjustment. 
nhmatt

Reply #21   Mar 12, 2010 11:11 am
I haven't used every snowblower ever made.  I would have liked one of the older Simplicities, or an older whatever.  Strip it down, new motor new paint and I'd have a better snowblower than 95% of what is being sold today.  Honda's are a different approach to building a machine to handle snowblowing.   Instead of parts+weight the need for the part is removed.  I waited 2 years to find one used because I wouldn't pay the new price of 3k for a 1132tas. 

Honda snowblowers may not be worth the money.  Here's 10 things wrong with them

. 1.)They are WAY expensive to fix.

2.)They're a smaller/lighter machine with less steel. 

3.) They may be uncomfortable for a user over 6'. 

4.)They don't come with handwarmers, or a battery start as even an option. 

5.)The light is pretty weak.

6.) If you get a trac model its difficult to turn on dry pavement compared to a wheeled version. 

7.)They don't come with a differential, so a wheeled version is more difficult to turn than a competitor's on dry pavement

8.) The transmission doesn't really unlock even when you disengage it, so if you have to push it around in the Summer, you're going to end up starting it up-unlike its competitors which turn and are very manuverable when the engine is not running.

9.) The auger gearbox aluminium instead of cast iron, and its not as beefy as the competitors.

10.) They only come in one color.

Here's 10 things that make them better than other snowblowers, and why the 10 things I could find wrong with them don't count. 

1.)  You don't have to fix them because they don't break.  The Honda GX motor has been the de-facto commercial small engine for about a zillion years.   Its worth about three Snowkings and an Intek.   If you use your equipment much you'll even notice the savings in gas.

2.) Because they don't weigh their machines down with an extra 200lbs of steel to make up for weak de signs, they can  put the weight forward and you can still move the machine.  Some ORANGE machines ride up at the first sign of packed snow because the weight  is under the wheels instead and will ride up no matter how hard you pull up on the handles to try and dig through a snowbank.

3.) Well, what do you want, all the handles are the same height.

4.) They're so much faster to use you're not going to be out there long enough to get cold hands.  Who the hell doesn't wear gloves?  Altenators and batteries are another waste of money/weight and are more parts to make up for the cheap motors used in manufacturing that don't decompress on startup.

5.) This is mine, but I think the new ones are coming with LEDs which will last forever and are much brighter because of the efficiency.

6.) Who the hell uses their snowblower when there's no snow on the driveway? 

7.) Again, the lack of extra weight makes this a non issue for anyone healthy enough to be using a snowblower or walking for that matter.  Kinda neat in the showroom, but a differential is more parts and more weight again. 

8.) I don't take my snowblower for walks in the Summertime.  I may be alone in this, but this is a useless advantage.

9.)  The gearbox doesn't need to be that strong, because Honda's shearpins are actually designed to be CHANGED, UNLIKE OTHER AUGERS!!!!.  When you hit something with a Honda the shearpin is going to break, shear off and fall out.  I can change one in the dark with gloves on and one wrench.  You spin the auger, line it up, place the nut in the pocket, put in the bolt and tighten it.  You DO NOT have to line up the auger and knock out the old bolt before you replace the new one.  Good luck with that at 2:30 AM at the end of the driveway. 

10.)  I don't mind red, but some folks who prefer the two-toned orange+rust of some competitors may be out of luck, because other than spots where the inside of the bucket has been scratched there is no rust on a Honda. 

This message was modified Mar 12, 2010 by nhmatt
kderobertis

Reply #22   Mar 12, 2010 11:59 am
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Well the 928TAS that I had did in fact clog with wet slushy snow. Maybe because it was so new? I don't know but it was easy to fix. Also it didn't have an 11hp engine just the 9hp.

The Toro 1028 I have has not clogged even once. That's just the way it is. The Honda is a great machine but the Toro is as well IMO.

Marketing.... I couldn't sell anything.... but I know a good product when I see one.... here is the website: http://www.lawnsolutionscp.com/

This message was modified Mar 12, 2010 by kderobertis

Ken

aa335

Reply #23   Mar 12, 2010 12:17 pm
nhmatt wrote:
I haven't used every snowblower ever made.  I would have liked one of the older Simplicities, or an older whatever.  Strip it down, new motor new paint and I'd have a better snowblower than 95% of what is being sold today.  Honda's are a different approach to building a machine to handle snowblowing.   Instead of parts+weight the need for the part is removed.  I waited 2 years to find one used because I wouldn't pay the new price of 3k for a 1132tas. 

Honda snowblowers may not be worth the money.  Here's 10 things wrong with them

1.)They are WAY expensive to fix.  

2.)They're a smaller/lighter machine with less steel.   Not really, most modern high quality snowblowers of same class HP, width are comparable in weight. Honda seems to have lighter steel, but the weight is made up in the transmission and bucket tilt mechanism.

3.) They may be uncomfortable for a user over 6'. 

4.)They don't come with handwarmers, or a battery start as even an option. 

5.)The light is pretty weak.

6.) If you get a trac model its difficult to turn on dry pavement compared to a wheeled version. 

7.)They don't come with a differential, so a wheeled version is more difficult to turn than a competitor's on dry pavement  Not really an issue.  When it's dry, the Honda stays inside.  When it's snowy, the Honda comes out to play. 

8.) The transmission doesn't really unlock even when you disengage it, so if you have to push it around in the Summer, you're going to end up starting it up-unlike its competitors which turn and are very manuverable when the engine is not running.  Yes, there's still a lot of friction on the rollers and tracks even with the transmission disengaged.  At least, it won't roll down a hill on its own.

9.) The auger gearbox aluminium instead of cast iron, and its not as beefy as the competitors.

10.) They only come in one color.  and one brand.  :)  and we know who owns that brand.

Here's 10 things that make them better than other snowblowers, and why the 10 things I could find wrong with them don't count. 

1.)  You don't have to fix them because they don't break.  The Honda GX motor has been the de-facto commercial small engine for about a zillion years.   Its worth about three Snowkings and an Intek.   If you use your equipment much you'll even notice the savings in gas.  True, I am surprised at how little the GX340 engine sips gas.  And it's quiet. 

2.) Because they don't weigh their machines down with an extra 200lbs of steel to make up for weak de signs, they can  put the weight forward and you can still move the machine.  Some ORANGE machines ride up at the first sign of packed snow because the weight  is under the wheels instead and will ride up no matter how hard you pull up on the handles to try and dig through a snowbank. The track models have two rollers.  When the bucket is placed in the medium and low position, the weight of the engine is in front of the rear rollers, so the bucket bears more of the engine weight.  Most wheeled snowblowers basically have the engine weight right above the wheels, with exception of the Toro Powershift models.  This one can move the wheels and axle behind the engine, shifting the weight forward.  Same principle, different implementation.

3.) Well, what do you want, all the handles are the same height.  The height has been perfect for me.  No complaints here.

4.) They're so much faster to use you're not going to be out there long enough to get cold hands.  Who the hell doesn't wear gloves?  Altenators and batteries are another waste of money/weight and are more parts to make up for the cheap motors used in manufacturing that don't decompress on startup.

5.) This is mine, but I think the new ones are coming with LEDs which will last forever and are much brighter because of the efficiency.  I'm interested in this modification.  How do LED lights deal with the fluctuating voltage of the alternator?

6.) Who the hell uses their snowblower when there's no snow on the driveway? 

7.) Again, the lack of extra weight makes this a non issue for anyone healthy enough to be using a snowblower or walking for that matter.  Kinda neat in the showroom, but a differential is more parts and more weight again. I'd like to take a step further.  How about separate hydrostatic motors or electric for each side of the tracks?  Similar to ZTR mowers.  I don't mind the extra weight or parts for this benefit.

8.) I don't take my snowblower for walks in the Summertime.  I may be alone in this, but this is a useless advantage.  

9.)  The gearbox doesn't need to be that strong, because Honda's shearpins are actually designed to be CHANGED, UNLIKE OTHER AUGERS!!!!.  When you hit something with a Honda the shearpin is going to break, shear off and fall out.  I can change one in the dark with gloves on and one wrench.  You spin the auger, line it up, place the nut in the pocket, put in the bolt and tighten it.  You DO NOT have to line up the auger and knock out the old bolt before you replace the new one.  Good luck with that at 2:30 AM at the end of the driveway.  Agreed, changing Honda shear "bolts" are head and shoulders above shear pins in terms of changing.  And Honda also have impeller shear bolts to protect the engine.  I still can't change my bolts in the dark, yet.  :)  Something about reaching in dark places that can chop off my fingers doesn't seem right.

10.)  I don't mind red, but some folks who prefer the two-toned orange+rust of some competitors may be out of luck, because other than spots where the inside of the bucket has been scratched there is no rust on a Honda. 

Steve_Cebu

Reply #24   Mar 12, 2010 3:37 pm
borat wrote:
Yo Steve:

When you had the clogging issue with the Honda, did you have it running at full throttle?   I'm not challenging the fact that it clogged.  I'm just wondering why it did.  It's certainly not a common occurrence with Honda and not too common with other well designed leading brands.  I've put my Simplicity 928 through some nasty stuff and it's never flinched.  This year the snow conditions have been very unusual.  We didn't get any cold weather snow up here.  We got three or four dumps of wet slush/rain approx. 4" deep.   The furthest it could be pushed with a snow shovel was maybe a foot or two.   The Simplicity didn't have any trouble with it.  However, it sounded more like a vaculator sucking water than a snow thrower.  It was throwing it a good distance too.  

Who knows?  Maybe the Honda's belt needed adjustment. 

Yes I'm always at full throttle unless I'm shutting the unit off. I tend to not stand around and chat while I'm doing the driveway :) so it's on full blast the entire time. I know if you are eating into heavy EOD snow and let off on the auger while the box is full it can clog. I actually did that with the Toro a few times since I saw stuff in the snow yet the Toro never clogged even with a box full of snow the Wet slushy stuff did clog up the Honda and it was full throttle and not moving very fast. Yeah it was a wet slush type snow had it a few times, The Toro threw it without issue but didn't throw it really far, but far enough. I didn't have the Honda very long, just that one storm.

Anything can happen, the clog took about 10 seconds to clear, not a big deal in my book.

This message was modified Mar 12, 2010 by Steve_Cebu

mikiewest

Reply #25   Mar 12, 2010 5:08 pm
My B&S engine is rated in hp.Second I find it amusing, how the Honda fanatics always want to point out that everyone fudges their hp rating except Honda.LOL.Also I have never had my friction disc slip.Also for 2+grand,that machine better out throw all other machines and never clog.But it doesnt, and thats a crime.Also Hondas rust like all the other snowblowers.Just take a look on e-bay or craigs list.You must be living in a fantasy world or dont want to face reality.But hey you own a Hondaaaaa....lol.
aa335

Reply #26   Mar 12, 2010 5:33 pm
mikiewest wrote:
My B&S engine is rated in hp.Second I find it amusing, how the Honda fanatics always want to point out that everyone fudges their hp rating except Honda.LOL.Also I have never had my friction disc slip.Also for 2+grand,that machine better out throw all other machines and never clog.But it doesnt, and thats a crime.Also Hondas rust like all the other snowblowers.Just take a look on e-bay or craigs list.You must be living in a fantasy world or dont want to face reality.But hey you own a Hondaaaaa....lol.

"Prepare to be amazed"  They're not called "fanatics" because they like you.

I'm not saying that Honda doesn't fudge their numbers, they were just smart to fudge enough and not get caught.  :)  Plus, there aren't enough disgrunted Honda owners to file a class action suit.  They are still recovering from sticker shock and blinded by the shiny red paint. 

Keep foreign material (ie oil, water) out of friction disc and they shouldn't slip.  Is it really that difficult to grasp?  Simple, cheap, effective power transmission.  Hydrostatic is just better.

A $3000 Honda will never perform 1.5 times better than a $2000 snowblower.  Why?  Because Honda is smart enough to charge $6000 for that.

Yes, steel do rust, if left unprotected from moisture and oxidation.  Honda does not make steel so it's not impervious to rust.  Some steel just rust slower than others.  I've seen stainless steel rust, and yes, they do stain.  :)

Yup, a recent check of ebay and craigslist on Honda snowblowers shows that rust do and can form on 20+ year old Honda snowblowers.   So they do rust.  Wow, you're so right, Captain Obvious.

Thanks for the reality check.
mikiewest

Reply #27   Mar 12, 2010 10:13 pm
what cant u understand AA??Hondas r overpriced and overrated.Even Consumer Reports agrees with me.If I need to move light fluffy stuff,I guess Honda is ok.But if its  heavy  wet snow,then I'll pull out the work horse..the tank.....the terminator...the Simplicity Pro.LOL...and thats the new defense for hondas having lighter snowblowers.....They r better designed.There's nothing like American steel baby....nice and thick .........
This message was modified Mar 12, 2010 by mikiewest
aa335

Reply #28   Mar 12, 2010 11:25 pm
mikiewest wrote:
what cant u understand AA??Hondas r overpriced and overrated.Even Consumer Reports agrees with me.If I need to move light fluffy stuff,I guess Honda is ok.But if its  heavy  wet snow,then I'll pull out the work horse..the tank.....the terminator...the Simplicity Pro.LOL...and thats the new defense for hondas having lighter snowblowers.....They r better designed.There's nothing like American steel baby....nice and thick .........

So far, the only thing I see that is "nice and thick" is your head.
mikiewest

Reply #29   Mar 12, 2010 11:31 pm
ah AA dont be jealous.You just cant handle the truth.Most Honda owners r just like you.Mad they spent so much money on nothing great.Someday you can get a real all American Simplicity Pro snowblower.Handles welded to the frame,cast iron auger gear housing etc etc LOL.Name calling is so childish.Grow up. 
This message was modified Mar 12, 2010 by mikiewest
aa335

Reply #30   Mar 12, 2010 11:35 pm
mikiewest wrote:
ah AA dont be jealous.Someday you can get a real all American Simplicity Pro snowblower.Handles welded to the frame,cast iron auger gear housing etc etc LOL.Name calling is so childish.Grow up. 

Man, that head is thicker than I thought.

I'm so jealous of your Simp Pro that's worth more than your car.
nhmatt

Reply #31   Mar 12, 2010 11:41 pm
All it takes to be a Honda fan is to use one to clear snow.   A honda will out-do any snowblower on the market.  No doubt.  I've got a 400' driveway, and  my 12yr old 828 Honda would finish about same time as the new Ariens1336pro I bought (big mistake), and do it quieter and save me money on gas.  The new Honda 1132 I bought isn't even a fair comparison.  There's no snow it won't throw.  No way.  Slow because of the tracs, and a dangerous bear because I can dig into things (especially after the wind storm we had) but an absolute dream compared to the POS Ariens I owned (which by the way, was listed for almost 3k, so I cringe when I hear others talk about Honda's high prices)  d  One storm this year we had 12" of snow and 2" of rain, which turned into 4" of PACKED SLUSH.  No problem.   I simply can't believe a Honda snowblower would fail before any other machine on the market. 

Honda only sells one version of its snowblowers.  It doesn't do the Pro vs Lite thing, which is a joke now because even the pro models of Simplicity, Ariens and Toro are nowhere what they were 10 years ago.  Cheap versions of what used to be decent designs.  

How can anyone argue that the Honda GX motor isn't the best small engine ever?  You've got to be kidding me.  Does anyone here WORK with this stuff?  They're a stronger motor, that's why they last so much longer.  Go to a rental house and see how many Briggs motors are running the equipment. 

mikiewest

Reply #32   Mar 12, 2010 11:49 pm
I must finally admit you are right AA.My blower is worth more than my car.Do you know why?Its a HONDA ACCORD piece of crap.The tranny went at 30,000 miles.And it wasnt only my car,they had a recall for the tranny problem.And now I get a notice for my airbag.Metal parts might hit the occupants in the front and cause serious injury or fatality.I should of bought American.
nhmatt

Reply #33   Mar 12, 2010 11:51 pm
mikiewest wrote:

Well, maybe because a Honda GX will give you a true HP rating for about 500 more hours than any of the other Comparable motors.  A Honda GX will give you 8 hp years longer, well after the Intek or the Snowking have blown up, or needed major work.  That tells me those engines are over-rated.

The Hondas you see on craigslist are about 10-20 years old, and good luck finding a box store snowblower that's still running after 5 years.   I bought a used honda for $1300, and sold it 8 years later for $700.  Honda's kick ass, and people who use them know it.   In fact, eveybody knows it.   They may not be worth the money to someone but that's different than not being able to admit when a machine is better than the crap America is manufacturing.

mikiewest

Reply #34   Mar 12, 2010 11:57 pm
Yea ok hondas r great and everything else  is worthless.I know plenty of people who own ariens pros and they r great machines .They'll suck up your honda and spit it out  and then finish off the snow.I have a blower with a tecumseh engine and its 7yrs old and still going strong.Never needed any work on it .so where do u get your facts from??I know from this fantasy world  that you live in that only hondas r built well.what a joke.Didnt u read what steve cebu said??his 928 clogged twice not the toro....
aa335

Reply #35   Mar 13, 2010 12:00 am
mikiewest wrote:
I must finally admit you are right AA.My blower is worth more than my car.Do you know why?Its a HONDA ACCORD piece of crap.The tranny went at 30,000 miles.And it wasnt only my car,they had a recall for the tranny problem.And now I get a notice for my airbag.Metal parts might hit the occupants in the front and cause serious injury or fatality.I should of bought American.

Is this why you are so bent on dissing Honda?  I hope you can sell off your Simp Pro this late in the season.  Dump the Honda Accord and put the money you got from the Simp Pro towards a safer car so you can get to work.  I heard people are paying big bucks for these Pre-2008 Simp Pros tanks because they ain't making them like they used to.  All manufacturers are going towards foreign thin steel buckets, aluminum auger gear housing, stamped steel handles riveted to plastic frames from recycled milk jugs, and putting in Fisher Price plastic bore engines.  *TONGUE IN CHEEK*

Or, you can keep your American Simp Pro and ride that to work.  Make sure you have extra friction discs and drive belts on hand.
This message was modified Mar 13, 2010 by aa335
mikiewest

Reply #36   Mar 13, 2010 12:06 am
you must be dumb and thick headed.You fool the 2001 had a recall for the transmission.Not because they were bullet proof but because they were defective.And now I have to worry about metal parts killing me and the passenger,if my airbag deploys.Great job honda.And lets not forget Toyota lol....Anyone have a toyota for sale???
mikiewest

Reply #37   Mar 13, 2010 12:07 am
So I guess its my imagination that the tecumseh engine after 7 yrs has needed no work hmmmm.
aa335

Reply #38   Mar 13, 2010 12:16 am
mikiewest wrote:
you must be dumb and thick headed.You fool the 2001 had a recall for the transmission.Not because they were bullet proof but because they were defective.And now I have to worry about metal parts killing me and the passenger,if my airbag deploys.Great job honda.And lets not forget Toyota lol....Anyone have a toyota for sale???

Pot calling the kettle black?

No manufacturers is going to recall a car because the transmission is bullet proof .    DUH   It just makes sense. 

Get your story straight before you put your mouth in gear.
aa335

Reply #39   Mar 13, 2010 12:18 am
mikiewest wrote:
They'll suck up your honda and spit it out  and then finish off the snow.

I like to see how this is possible.  Or are you just talking trailer park hillbilly nonsense?
aa335

Reply #40   Mar 13, 2010 12:20 am
mikiewest wrote:
So I guess its my imagination that the tecumseh engine after 7 yrs has needed no work hmmmm.

Well, based on what recently has transpired, I say you are right again.  :)
Steve_Cebu

Reply #41   Mar 13, 2010 2:10 am
mikiewest wrote:
Didnt u read what steve cebu said??his 928 clogged twice not the toro....

Yes the Toro clogged twice in wet heavy slushy snow more slush than snow really. This in my book doesn't make the Honda bad, it was a great machine. True I prefer the Toro for various reasons like the fact that my wife can use the Toro and the joystick for the chute is really sweet to use. I don't think it's inferior to the Honda. The Honda has a great transmission and a really great engine. The tracks are amazing as well. I think the way the chute works is lackluster but no doubt it's bulletproof. Honda typically is lower tech than their competitors. They tend to focus on reliability. If my 928TAS had dual skid steer on the tracks I would have kept it. I own 2 Honda cars right now, but I've owned many other makes over the years. I think the Honda is a great machine, yes I think it's priced too high for what you get. But in my mind the top of the line Toro, Simplicty, Ariens and Hondas are all pretty damn good and while I personally picked Toro that doesn't mean the other brands are crap. Clogging twice isn't a big deal in my book especially on a new machine. I'm not taking sides. I just want to be clear about my opinion. Lots of opinons out there. Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo all get compared, at the end of the day you buy what you ultimately prefer for your own use.    Peace

mikiewest

Reply #42   Mar 13, 2010 8:50 am
foot in mouth??u do need hooked on phonics.Thats my point.Honda products r not the best.I'd rather have a tranny that didnt need recalling.Yea u can give Honda kudos for the recall but Im not happy that my tranny was slipping at 3o,ooo miles.But here come the loonies if u say honda snowblowers or cars arent the best.LOL....Any comment on that great company Toyota??Plenty of Honda rust buckets for sale on e bay.....oh yea thats right honda snow blowers dont rust....they just fade away hehehe...
nhmatt

Reply #43   Mar 13, 2010 10:55 am
mikiewest wrote:
Yea ok hondas r great and everything else  is worthless.I know plenty of people who own ariens pros and they r great machines .They'll suck up your honda and spit it out  and then finish off the snow.I have a blower with a tecumseh engine and its 7yrs old and still going strong.Never needed any work on it .so where do u get your facts from??I know from this fantasy world  that you live in that only hondas r built well.what a joke.Didnt u read what steve cebu said??his 928 clogged twice not the toro....

I didn't say only Honda's are well built.  I said they were better built.  For an extra grand it may not be worth it to some folks and I can understand that, but its really like comparing a 1/2 ton to a 1 ton, or a gasoline to a diesel engine.  Sure, they both may get you there but its not the same animal. I like the older, pre-cheap Simplicity machines.  I liked them before they pulled the same crap Ariens did: Making two brands and cannabalizing more and more of itself.    I also had a Toro single stage that was great in just about everything.  I beat the tar out of it and it still came back for more, but that was 20 years ago and they've gotten cheaper just like everything else.  Ariens snowblowers (even the pro) are 3 year throw away machines.  You can get 20 years out of a snow shovel if its just you and your driveway, but if you plan on making money with one you'd better by two, because one is going to get fixed while the other one is running.  At least that way you'll always have the spare parts your going to need when that ugly orange beast shakes itself apart Given the opportunity in a robot war I have no doubt my Honda trac would be able to crush 10 zillion other snowblowers of all makes and models into shivering puddles of liquid piss.   Yeah, that's right.

My experience with snowblowers is from my own personal use, but also as a tech for a service company I talk with dozens of property managers all over New England.  Hospitals, colleges, entire school districts, I've probably got 30 maint. manager's phone #s on my cell phone.  Over the course of a Winter the topic of snow removal comes up.  Nobody is buying Ariens anymore.  In 10 years I've seen it go from 100% Ariens to 80% Torro/Simplicity.   The word is out my friend.  Ariens is junk.   I was waking through the boiler room of one hospital in Vt and saw 2 shiny new Hondas and remarked about it.  The answer I got was they can do more work with 2 Hondas than 3 of the other, so you only have to pay 2 people instead of 3!  This place gets a lot of snow. 

I'd bet money the Honda won't clog next to anything else, but if your going to compare two snowblowers you're going to have to own two snowblowers at the same time, because every storm is a different  condition.  I have done this more than once, because I replace mine before I sell the old one.  Honda's are in their own class.

aa335

Reply #44   Mar 13, 2010 11:16 am
Mikie refuses to understand reason.  He insists that Honda snowblowers are overrated and overpriced because he owns a Honda Accord.  Having not the opportunity of using a Honda snowblower, he insists that his Simp Pro with steel "nice and thick" as his head is far superior.
borat

Reply #45   Mar 13, 2010 11:48 am
Well, I've put on my rain coat and will now cautiously wade into this pi$$ fight. 

Honda is probably the best snow thrower out there.  Yamaha may be better.  We'll have to see how they prove themselves when they get to these shores.   Both are not worth the extra money if getting the job done is the sole requirement.  People spend money on what they can afford (usually moderately priced or inexpensive) or what they want (often over priced).  It's the individual's choice.  If a person is buying a Honda comparable to an equivalent leading domestic brand just to get his driveway done much quicker, well, he may be in for a disappointment.  A well maintained leading domestic brand will get the job done just as efficiently as the Honda. 

I know that some might not think that this is a fair comparison but my 928 Simplicity will out work the neighbour's 724 Honda without breaking a sweat.  Not the same machines for sure but let's not forget that I paid $1500.00 all in.  He paid $3200.00 plus 13% taxes.   So, if one has the wherewithal to afford a Honda, have at it.  I could have a garage full of anything I want.  However, that's not the way I'm put together.   I'm much like what I buy.  Not flashy or glamorous.  I get the job done just as well as the next guy usually at considerably less cost.   I take a great deal of pride in that.

As for the Toyota baiting,  I'll say this, risking the ire of some participants.  If Toyota did not build cars in North America, they would not be seeing the problems they are today.   I say this because it appears that Toyota have begun to slide down the slippery slope that got the domestic brands into trouble.   That is, taking the short cut to the profits.  The components involved in the accelerator recall were manufactured where?  Toronto.  My wife's 2007 Camry's accelerator assembly was built by Denso in Japan.  No recall on that.    My 1996 Toyota T100 was built in Japan.   I have not spent one dime on repairs in over fourteen years.  I've spent money on maintenance of usual wear items but not a cent on repairs.   When I buy a Toyota, I open the door to read where it's built.  If it isn't built in Japan, I'm not buying it.  Period.  So, I'll be taking real good care of my T100.  That's for sure.  Otherwise, I'll pay a premium to have a Japanese built vehicle shipped to me. 

I'm confident that Toyota are going through some serious self-ass-kicking right now.  If they have any sense of history and pride, which they do, they will not only recover from these serious errors in judgment, they will pull up their socks and raise the auto manufacturing bar to new levels of quality.   If they don't, I'll be sorely disappointed.      
nhmatt

Reply #46   Mar 13, 2010 12:15 pm
$3200 for a 724 Honda?   Yowsers.  I'd bet that's a $1700 machine tops. 
mikiewest

Reply #47   Mar 13, 2010 12:20 pm
AA just for you, I am going to go get an MRI Mon. and see if my head is truly nice and thick lol...I will post the results....It's amazing how this all started.Someone was asking where he could go see a Honda snowblower.Someone who owned one said it clogged on him and didnt out throw a Toro.And all I said  is ...thats a crime.Oh boy thats all it took .Here come the Honda militants....How dare you speak bad of our Honda snowblowers.They r the best,greatest blah blah ,blah blah blah blowers in the universe. You will pay for your negative comments bout honda snowblowers.Hey calm down dudes.Its ok ,so honda blowers clog.Just take your little black stick and unclog it.Maybe you can put the clarence impeller kit on your hondas and then it will hurl snow farther than a toro or ariens or simplicity w/power boost hehehe oohhhhweeee.....
kderobertis

Reply #48   Mar 13, 2010 12:22 pm
Honda 724TA goes for about $1,900 USD, what currency are we talking for $3,200?   Canadian? + 13% sales tax... has to be outside the USA.
This message was modified Mar 13, 2010 by kderobertis

Ken

aa335

Reply #49   Mar 13, 2010 12:41 pm
mikiewest wrote:
AA just for you, I am going to go get an MRI Mon. and see if my head is truly nice and thick lol...I will post the results....It's amazing how this all started.Someone was asking where he could go see a Honda snowblower.Someone who owned one said it clogged on him and didnt out throw a Toro.And all I said  is ...thats a crime.Oh boy thats all it took .Here come the Honda militants....How dare you speak bad of our Honda snowblowers.They r the best,greatest blah blah ,blah blah blah blowers in the universe. You will pay for your negative comments bout honda snowblowers.Hey calm down dudes.Its ok ,so honda blowers clog.Just take your little black stick and unclog it.Maybe you can put the clarence impeller kit on your hondas and then it will hurl snow farther than a toro or ariens or simplicity w/power boost hehehe oohhhhweeee.....

You came up with that all on your own?  I'm starting to detect some brain wave activity coming from you.

That almost sums it up.  You got most of it right, except you left out the part about  unsolicited boasting about his Simp Pro with blah blah don't clog.  Are these not your words?

"Champion Honda on Old Country Rd. had a few but sold out due to the major snow storms we had this yr.I'm sure they will have more  but you'll have to wait till Oct or Nov.Have you given the Ariens Pro or Simplicity Pro any thought?I have a Simp Pro 11570e ...great machine.Plenty of power never clogs and its built like a tank but easy to move due to the easy turn feature."

I think the original poster was asking about Honda snowblower, did he not?

Don't go out of your way just for me.  I don't want you to get a Hemorrhage.

Save your money, don't get an MRI.  It doesn't really prove anything.  Put that money towards a new car so you can get rid your miserable Honda Accord.
aa335

Reply #50   Mar 13, 2010 12:48 pm
nhmatt wrote:
$3200 for a 724 Honda?   Yowsers.  I'd bet that's a $1700 machine tops. 

That does seem quite high.  I paid less than that for a 1132TAS. 
borat

Reply #51   Mar 13, 2010 1:23 pm
The latest price on the Honda Canada site for the HST724TC is now $2699.99.  Down $300.00 from it's previous price of $2999.00.  Put 13% on that and it $3388.87, which was the price the local Honda dealership was charging when the neighbour bought his.  No discounts.  He may have had an extended warranty included in his price.  Nonetheless, still very expensive.  
This message was modified Mar 13, 2010 by borat
nhmatt

Reply #52   Mar 13, 2010 3:51 pm
That's alada money for that machine.  I wouldn't even consider it, but I'm the kind of cheap that would rather pee in the sink than use a pay toilet.  There must have been a lot of snow the year before, that's usually when people get hosed.
nhmatt

Reply #53   Mar 13, 2010 3:56 pm
mikiewest wrote:

Honda blowers don't clog.  That little stick is there to beat back all the jealous owners of lesser machines.  I once asked a Honda dealer what that stick was really for and he said the question has never come up, and I was the first to ask. 

Knock knock:  Honda's are great.

borat

Reply #54   Mar 13, 2010 4:34 pm
nhmatt wrote:
That's alada money for that machine.  I wouldn't even consider it, but I'm the kind of cheap that would rather pee in the sink than use a pay toilet.  There must have been a lot of snow the year before, that's usually when people get hosed.

No kidding.  If it were a few hundred more, no  problem.  But when you're looking at close to TWO GRAND more, I see major issues with that.  But hey!  With the big Honda sale on right now, I can get the HS724TC for $3049.87 all in.   YEAH BABY....WHERE DO I SIGN!!!!!! Don't think so.

Now that the domestics have begun to build cheaper but not necessarily less expensive products, the Honda and Yamaha machines might be our only opportunity for a premium snow thrower in the future.  I won't buy junk.  When I'm left with no choice but to pay $3000.00 plus for a quality snow thrower, I'll do it.  In the meantime, I plan on keeping the Simplicity in top condition and will re-power as necessary. 

The way the weather has been around here that last few years, the snow thrower has been leading a fairly leisurely life.  The first year I owned it, I put maybe 20 hours on it,  last year less than 15, this year less than 5 hours so far and the snow is almost gone.  I can see maybe one more hour being put on it this year at most if we get slammed by a late winter/early spring storm.    At that rate, it will probably outlast me.    
mikiewest

Reply #55   Mar 13, 2010 5:00 pm
Well if Im going to get the MRI,I better do it b4 obama care goes into effect.Under his plan I will qualify only for an X-ray.Wow r u sure those r the prices Borat??For that price I know the Honda blower will wheel its little red gluteus maximus out of a garage on its own clean the driveway ,refuel itself and then wheel its little self back into the garage and close the door LOLLLL......Is that what urs does AA??Maybe some of you honda wackos should read bevans review of his Ariens Pro...sounds like a well built machine...but I know urs does it better.I wonder what you guys r going to tell me when my sears blower with a  tecumseh engine is on its 10th yr without any  engine repairs...what???I cant hear you...oh uh well um um u got lucky...7 yrs so far...so the simp pro should last well lets see 20..
This message was modified Mar 13, 2010 by mikiewest
borat

Reply #56   Mar 13, 2010 5:16 pm
Check the Honda Canada site Mikie.  Canadians take it in the a$$ big time when it come to paying for anything. 

That's why I wait for our dollar to get close to par then go a a spending spree in the USA.  I'm only 25 miles from the border.  I line up everything I need, have it shipped to a parcel handler on the US side, drive down with the pick up, clear Customs and save tons of money.   There's very little duty on anything now.  The savings are incredible. Particularly on big ticket items like ATVs, automobiles, snowmobiles, boats & motors, appliances, big screen TVs OPE.  You name it.   Often, it's less than half the price! 

Yeah and the Honda price...  Remember, that's a 7 h.p. HS724TC compared to a Simplicity 928 which in reality is more like an 11 h.p. engine.   I know the argument that the Honda engine is...... what ever.  I appreciate and agree that the Honda engine is great.  However, the new B&S engines are impressive too.  Maybe not on the same scale as the Honda engine but that doesn't seem to matter when it's hurtling wet snow impressive distances for a fraction of the cost, now does it?   We'll just have to see how long it can do it. 
This message was modified Mar 13, 2010 by borat
aa335

Reply #57   Mar 13, 2010 10:23 pm
Just to shift the tone of this thread in a lighter and friendlier direction, I decided to try something like this:

Some of the best pieces of equipment that I have come across.  This list is not complete.  Please feel free to add your favorites.  Enjoy!

Honda HS1132 337cc, 11 hp, 32"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHNLbAW6j7k&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPSWe2ce4No&feature=related

Honda HS928, 270cc, 9 hp, 28"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu8x1jNsOGg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BihUW8eCTis&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsfz7AbJdRM&feature=related

Honda HS621 - Single Stage - 160 cc engine, 6 hp, 21"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_O6g_uHAA4&feature=related

Toro 3650 - Single Stage - 140cc, 6.5 hp, 20", Discontinued
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wpww4HLjnc&feature=related

Toro 221 - Single Stage - 140cc engine, 6.5 hp, 21", current model
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZC4z8x8W4g&feature=related

Simplicity 1524
A beautiful video of Simplicity 1524, with electric chute rotation.  Sweet!  This has to be the most perfect snow for snowblowing.  Just right amount of weight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVoghe36Ty4
Underdog

Reply #58   Mar 18, 2010 7:58 am
Those are some of my favorites, including a few I've never seen. Thanks
This message was modified Mar 18, 2010 by Underdog

borat

Reply #59   Mar 18, 2010 7:42 pm
I was impressed with the Toro single stage thrower.  That thing was moving lots of snow!
aa335

Reply #60   Mar 24, 2010 10:44 am
I agree.  The Toro single stage moves snow very well. 

Toro has many smart and efficient design on the previous 2450/3650 and the latest 221/ 421 platform.  I'm not too fond of the latest 221/421 largish chassis to acccommodate both 2 and 4 stroke engines.

However, Toro has pretty much outdone everyone else, IMHO in terms of efficient power transmission from the crank to the rubber auger.  The auger assembly is lightweight and strong.  Thin bucket sides to easily cut through snow, pivoting scraper bar to allow constant contact of the auger to the pavement.  The blue Quick Chute feature is icing on the cake.   Now if they can integrate the deflector angle, that will be the cat's meow.
This message was modified Mar 24, 2010 by aa335
Paul7

Reply #61   Mar 25, 2010 2:06 pm
nhmatt wrote:

My experience with snowblowers is from my own personal use, but also as a tech for a service company I talk with dozens of property managers all over New England.  Hospitals, colleges, entire school districts, I've probably got 30 maint. manager's phone #s on my cell phone.  Over the course of a Winter the topic of snow removal comes up.  Nobody is buying Ariens anymore. 

I'd have to argue against your statement that "Nobody is buying Ariens anymore."  Ariens may have lost the customers you noted but they are still selling a boat load of product  through Home Depot and other outlets to the consumer at large.  So much so that in 2009, in the middle of a significant recession, this small family owned (non-public) company completed three significant acquisitions.  They acquired Treker Utility Vehicles which they re-branded as Gravelys, Parker Lawn Care Company (commercial vacuums and chippers), and Kee Mowers also re-branded as Gravelys.  Also during the last year their own R&D department developed and launched the first commercially available all electric riding lawn mower.

Look if it were up to me all OEM's would still be "making them like they used to".  My Dads 7hp 1976 Snowbird can still hold it's own against anything made today...foreign or domestic.  However as we've all seen OEMs go broke or get acquired, the Ariens Company is doing what it has to do in order to not only survive but grow.  If that means a shift in their targeted market, and it works for them, then so be it.  I suspect that none of us ever had the responsibility of balancing the books of a OPE manufacturer so I'm not going to question Ariens strategy.

Having said that, I really do miss the good old days when all products were well made and comparatively priced.  And when a company's market share and brand loyalty were driven by the quality of service provided by their network of authorized dealers.

http://www.gravely.com/uv/Pages/default.aspx
http://www.parkersweeper.com/parker-lawn-care-categories.php
http://www.wkowtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=10635960
Replies: 1 - 61 of 61View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42