Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro 22 Inch 20071 Fuel Tank Leak

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
markd98422

Toro 22 Inch 20071 Fuel Tank Leak
Original Message   Jul 14, 2009 3:50 pm
My 2007 model has developed a leak in the fuel tank.  It seems to be a crack where the tank seam is.  Anyone else having the same problem?  This problem has cropped up before with Toro.  The engine is produced by Tecumseh and Toro says it is a Tecumseh problem.  Seems Tecumseh has sold their power engine division to a company called Certified Parts.  All I get is the runaround from both companies.  The fuel tank is on back-order which leads me to think that others are having the same problem.  The mower has been sitting in the repair shop since mid-May and it is going nowhere fast.

I recommend any others with the same problem to start contacting Toro to get them off their butts.  Also, contact the Consumer Products Safety Commission to report the problem.  A recall may be in order if this problem is wide spread.

Thanks Everyone

Replies: 9 - 18 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
shebeto7

Re: Toro 22 Inch 20071 Fuel Tank Leak
Reply #9   Mar 17, 2010 2:46 pm
My 2007 model also developed a leak around the tank seam.  I ordered another and replaced and now less than a year later, the second tank has developed the same crack around the tank seam.  Conveniently, Toro claims ignorance on the issue and says to contact a local service provider.  I contacted one here in Austin, TX and was told the tanks are on back order and that they had 50 something request for the tanks. 
borat

Reply #10   Mar 17, 2010 10:17 pm
You can try to repair the tank using JB Weld. 

Take the tank off, drain all the fuel from it.  Try to pry open the leaking area of the seam and put some JB Weld in the crack.

If that's not possible, you can try heating the seam with a soldering tool  or open flame to plastic weld it together.   Be very careful of the possibility of gasoline vapour ignition.  Probably best to purge the tank with hot water and allow it to dry before introducing open flame to it. 
friiy

Reply #11   Mar 19, 2010 10:32 pm
This stuff works great on metals, I give away alot of NOS stuff like this to friends with problems....  I do not know if it works on Plastic.. . They also make a paint brush consistancy  mix.

http://www.bergdahl.com/PS-860.htm

Friiy

This message was modified Mar 19, 2010 by friiy
chaseingk

Reply #12   Jun 7, 2010 9:24 am
I have the same model  lawn mower with a fuel tank leak as well.  I contacted Toro's customer service (1-888-384-9939) and was told that they are not aware of any widespread problem with a leaking fuel tank for this model and no recalls have been made.  I was told to stop using the lawn mower immediately and get it to an authorized Toro dealer.  I contacted the dealer, it is going to cost about $28.00 for the part (including shipping, they do not keep it in stock) and $28.00 for labor.  I went ahead and ordered the part from the dealer because I need to get it fixed.  I was told it should only be about a day  before the part comes in. However, before getting off the line with the Toro customer service representative I asked her to provide me a case number and send me an email confirming my complaint in the event this is picked up as a class action lawsuit.
This message was modified Jun 7, 2010 by chaseingk
rdgus

Reply #13   Nov 16, 2010 1:30 pm
I have this issue with my Toro #20073 Recycler 3 & 1  mower and I called the company (Certified Parts Corp) that took over for Tecumseh when they went out of business. They referred me to an EMail address that you can contact to get a free replacement gas tank. You have to take pictures of the engine ID decal and EMail to: tankshiper@gmail.com. The valid Date of Mfg (DOM) range is 07001Gxxxxxxx to 07120Gxxxxxx. I have not reciev4ed the new one yet but have received confirmation of receipt.

Excerpt from acknowledgment:

Thank you for your request. Please submit the required information as specified in Service Bulletin # 506. After we recieve the required information, a new tank will be mailed to you via first class mail.

Thank You.

CBD Services LLC

This message was modified Sep 30, 2015 by a moderator
Shryp

Reply #14   Nov 16, 2010 2:31 pm
tankshiper or tankshipper?

I don't have one, but seems like a typo in the email :)

For people that are looking for one, any way to zip tie some other tank to the handlebars for the time being?
roger5958

Reply #15   Apr 19, 2011 1:01 pm
I purchased my Toro 22 inch recycler lawn mower in April of 2007.  The fuel tank last week started to leak at the seal too.  The Model number is 20071 and serial no. 270098455.   Does anyone know how I can get Toro to fix this issue?  Thanks for any info.
friiy

Reply #16   May 24, 2012 11:20 am
5 years later?...  I think it's out of warranty.  Just contact toro, they will let you know who made the engine and if it is still under warranty.

--

inscantu

Reply #17   Aug 24, 2015 9:33 pm
I have a Toro 20073 with a fuel tank leak at the seam and I followed RDGUS's instructions (see below). I just got a new fuel tank in the mail today!!!! Totally free with free shipping!!!!! It took less than a week to receive it. I'm doing a happy dance right now :-). Now, I just have to figure out how to take off the old one and install the new one. Wish me luck! rdgus wrote:
I have this issue with my Toro #20073 Recycler 3 & 1  mower and I called the company (Certified Parts Corp) that took over for Tecumseh when they went out of business. They referred me to an EMail address that you can contact to get a free replacement gas tank. You have to take pictures of the engine ID decal and EMail to: tankshiper@gmail.com. The valid Date of Mfg (DOM) range is 07001Gxxxxxxx to 07120Gxxxxxx. I have not reciev4ed the new one yet but have received confirmation of receipt.

Excerpt from acknowledgment:

Thank you for your request. Please submit the required information as specified in Service Bulletin # 506. After we recieve the required information, a new tank will be mailed to you via first class mail.

Thank You.

CBD Services LLC

dddurham

Reply #18   Sep 3, 2015 10:23 pm
Sent email as describe in earlier message and auto response returned in seconds..............Note the correct email address is tankshiper@gmail.com

Replies: 9 - 18 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42