Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Vintage Toro 7/24 snowblower - gear problem

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Saddles

Vintage Toro 7/24 snowblower - gear problem
Original Message   Feb 1, 2009 11:34 pm
My 30 year old 7/24 Toro snowblower (Model 38050) won't go forward in 3rd gear. I have tinkered with the friction wheel and can't seem to fix the problem. For example, when the friction wheel is positioned equally from a) the friction disk and b) drive pulley, none of the three Forward gears will engage, but the two Reverse gears work fine. When the friction disk is positioned closer to the drive pulley, all of the Forward gears will engage, but then the 1st gear for Reverse doesn't work.  I have decided that the best "compromise position" for the friction wheel is one where I can use the 1st and 2nd Forward gears (but not the the third) as well as both Reverse gears. The friction wheel seems OK (there is still a good deal of rubber on it) so I am not sure what is going on - grateful for any advice that anyone might have.
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
pare_john

Re: Vintage Toro 7/24 snowblower - gear problem
Reply #1   Feb 2, 2009 6:18 am
I have the same problem on my 30 year old Toro 824. I have it set up the same way as you. I just assumed in was the friction disc that is too worn
trouts2

Reply #2   Feb 2, 2009 7:05 pm
   Go to the link below and get the service manual for your machine.  

https://homeownersolutions.toro.com/portal/server.pt?open=512&objID=214&PageID=0&cached=true&mode=2&userID=19461

There is a procedure listed in the Owners manual for the 38080 which I think has the same tractor components as  your machine.  The procedure is for adjusting the linkage for loosing reverse but forward speeds ok or visa versa.  You may have another problem but going through the adjustment will eliminate the most basic cause.

Saddles

Reply #3   Feb 5, 2009 1:00 pm
Thank you for this excellent advice. The models are indeed very similar. I will give it a try.                                    
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42