Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Home made impeller kit

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Home made impeller kit
Original Message   Dec 3, 2008 10:21 pm
Since I had the auger assembly apart to replace bearings & bushings, I thought I would try my hand at fabbing an impeller kit. Already had all the materials laying around. I still have to put everything back together, but I can hardly wait till I can try it out. I used some 1/4 rubber sheet I had and hope it will last a while.

Don't know if will make any difference, but I thought it might be a good idea to bevel the leading edge to help shed the snow.

Replies: 1 - 23 of 23View as Outline
toolmantr

Re: Home made impeller kit
Reply #1   Dec 4, 2008 10:43 am
Why not mount the rubber below the impeller?  Then there would be no need to bevel the plate.
borat

Reply #2   Dec 4, 2008 10:44 am
Nice work bud. 

The bevel is a nice touch.  Can't see doing anything but help.  I lined my chute with a piece of Krazy Karpet (the things kids use to slide down hills) and the deflector with a piece of thin stainless steel plate.  I did it to protect the chute & deflector from gravel & salt.  It hasn't hindered performance.  The plastic is so slick that I actually think it helps.    What kind of machine are you putting it in? 

goofienewfie

Ariens 1130DLE

Reply #3   Dec 4, 2008 11:18 am
Nice job on the impeller kit.  I have wondered why nobody mounts the rubber on the bottom vs the top. I realize most probably install through the chute, but with the impeller out would it have been better mounted on the bottom or is there a reason for this.

Borat that krazy karpet install looks great, noticed that in your snow cab pick, Also seems as though you painted your gear box.  Is the krazy karpet just mounted with the two bolts on the bottom or are there more that cannot be seen? Where did you find a black karpet? All I seen around is blue.

Cheers
Goofie Newfie
borat

Reply #4   Dec 4, 2008 5:05 pm
toolmantr wrote:
Why not mount the rubber below the impeller?  Then there would be no need to bevel the plate.

If he did that, the device would have the load supported by the screws only.   The way he as it set up, the load is distributed across the plate pressing against the impeller vane.  No sure how significant that is.  However, I'd probably do it the same way that he did. 
borat

Reply #5   Dec 4, 2008 5:17 pm
goofienewfie wrote:
Nice job on the impeller kit.  I have wondered why nobody mounts the rubber on the bottom vs the top. I realize most probably install through the chute, but with the impeller out would it have been better mounted on the bottom or is there a reason for this.

Borat that krazy karpet install looks great, noticed that in your snow cab pick, Also seems as though you painted your gear box.  Is the krazy karpet just mounted with the two bolts on the bottom or are there more that cannot be seen? Where did you find a black karpet? All I seen around is blue.

Thanks for the compliment.  I didn't paint the gear box.  That's how the come from the factory.  Cast iron painted black. 

It's held in place by two small screws through the bottom of the chute and one screw at the top.  I didn't have to drill anything on the chute.  All three holes were already there.  The two at the bottom were vacant.  The hole at the top is the same hole used to attach the deflector mechanism.  I just used what was readily available and made the liner fit.   It was a bit of a job trimming the liner to get it just right but turned out OK.  If and when It's time to replace the liner, I'll have the old one to use as a template.  That will cut the job down by about 75%.  I found the black Krazy Karpet an Canadian Tire.  Cost around $7.00.  Handy stuff to have around.  I don't know how many times I've made friction washers with that stuff.  I actually had to make a friction washer out of it to go on the top screw that holds the deflector mechanism on.  It helps eliminate binding through the arc as the deflector is adjusted.      

friiy

Reply #6   Dec 4, 2008 5:28 pm
ok...ok...

Now that you are all done shaking each other's hands...

I think the X-prize should go to the guy that builds a sweet handlebar heat system and posts ..

(Borat,  my money is on you..)

Friiy

GtWtNorth

Reply #7   Dec 4, 2008 5:54 pm
Thanks for the comments, I'm doing a refurb on a 1988 Mastercraft (MTD) 5/24, with a Tecumseh motor. A buddy at work gave it to me 3 months ago and she was suffering from severe maintenance deprivation. Axel & auger bushings worn oval by at least 3/8, drive chains & other mechanisms almost seized up, and of course the usual steel bolts replacing the auger shear pins. Other than that she was pretty solid and the motor ran. I'm in the process of putting her back together now.
She's not big or powerful, but at the price it seemed like a good gamble and I can manoeuvre her around the cars, walkways etc.

The reason I installed the kit on the front is for none of the above reasons. I had a hard time figuring how to do it , because if you look  at the photo below, you can see the trailing edge of the impeller has a lip bent back away from the direction of rotation. I suppose I could have used some kind of spacer and installed it on the back any way. I also toyed with the idea of getting a torch & heating up that lip and straightening it out enough to eliminate most of the 3/8 gap, but this was easier to do.

Is this a standard auger shape or are most of them flat?

Borat, the crazy carpet liner is a great idea, but my chute is already made of plastic. But, I will steal your idea of adding the washers to the chute bolts if you don't mind.

I'm also working on an electric chute rotation system based on some others I've seen on the web.

Cheers
This message was modified Dec 4, 2008 by GtWtNorth

borat

Reply #8   Dec 4, 2008 6:58 pm
friiy wrote:
ok...ok...

Now that you are all done shaking each other's hands...

I think the X-prize should go to the guy that builds a sweet handlebar heat system and posts ..

(Borat,  my money is on you..)

Friiy

To quote Kim Jong Il, in the movie "Team America - World Police" when speaking to the leader of a middle east  terrorist group:   " Do you have any idea how f_____g busy I am????" 

I'm  presently restoring, rebuilding, modifying a 1974 Yamaha RD350.   I've taken the old electrics out of it and replaced them with state of the are electronic charging and ignition systems.  Maybe I can use the generator, rectifier and regulator from it to make handle bar heating system.   Won't help anyone on this forum unless they have access to the same parts. 

All kidding aside, If I recall correctly, I think the B&S and maybe even the Tecumseh engines have a spare wire that runs from its electrical generator.  One might be able to tap into that for an electrical source.  At the very least, the wire to the light could be used I suppose.   My biggest concern is whether the engines  on machines not equipped with handle bar heaters produce enough power to run a pair of handle bar heaters without depriving the ignition system of it's needs.   The heaters themselves are out there and readily available.  One can go to any snowmobile shop and buy a pair of handle bar heaters for around $20.00.  Not sure if the diameter would be big enough to fit a snow thrower.  Easy enough to find out though.   If the engine's electrics produce enough juice and the diameter of the heaters fit the snow thrower, it wouldn't be a difficult modification at all providing the engine's electrical output voltage is 12 volts.  Is that what these engines put out?  I've never measured the output on one.   

This message was modified Dec 4, 2008 by borat
friiy

Reply #9   Dec 4, 2008 8:36 pm
Most of the old engines that had a charging circut  also had a lead of un-rectified voltage to use for a headlight assy.  The voltage was about 15 max if i remember right..

I guess so you could run it through a bridge rectifier  and still have charging power for a 12 volt battery..

Hey  Borat,  I never worked on a thrower in the desert,   I noticed the impeller has a curve to it  (like a boat prop).  wouldn't it be better extend the wiper/ rubber the full length of the impeller? Or does that area extend intothe first stage and grab snow? (meaning it is not in contact with the housing of the second stage)

Friiy

borat

Reply #10   Dec 4, 2008 9:19 pm
friiy wrote:
Most of the old engines that had a charging circut  also had a lead of un-rectified voltage to use for a headlight assy.  The voltage was about 15 max if i remember right..

I guess so you could run it through a bridge rectifier  and still have charging power for a 12 volt battery..

Hey  Borat,  I never worked on a thrower in the desert,   I noticed the impeller has a curve to it  (like a boat prop).  wouldn't it be better extend the wiper/ rubber the full length of the impeller? Or does that area extend intothe first stage and grab snow? (meaning it is not in contact with the housing of the second stage)

Friiy

I don't think that 15 volts would be too much for heaters.  They're not that sophisticated.  The rheostat that controls the heat might have problems with it.  One would have to check the voltage tolerances to be sure.

Not sure what you mean about extending the wiper the full length of the impeller.  Don't think that would be possible to extend into the auger side.  The curved ends of the impeller that face the auger appear to be designed to cut off/gather and pull in snow fed by the auger.  The critical swept area would be the span inside the impeller housing where snow is ejected through the hole to the chute.  The closer the tolerance on either end of the impeller vane  inside the impeller housing as well as a close fit to the circumference of the impeller housing will create the best seal.  From reading previous posts, about this modification, the results are quite impressive if done correctly.   From the pictures here, looks like he's done his home work.     

Moderator Denis

Reply #11   Dec 5, 2008 8:03 pm
Did you ever seen my home video about clarence impeller kit check it out and had fun here,s the link

http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/24448-0-1.html

goofienewfie

Ariens 1130DLE

Reply #12   Dec 9, 2008 2:32 pm
borat wrote:
Thanks for the compliment.  I didn't paint the gear box.  That's how the come from the factory.  Cast iron painted black. 

It's held in place by two small screws through the bottom of the chute and one screw at the top.  I didn't have to drill anything on the chute.  All three holes were already there.  The two at the bottom were vacant.  The hole at the top is the same hole used to attach the deflector mechanism.  I just used what was readily available and made the liner fit.   It was a bit of a job trimming the liner to get it just right but turned out OK.  If and when It's time to replace the liner, I'll have the old one to use as a template.  That will cut the job down by about 75%.  I found the black Krazy Karpet an Canadian Tire.  Cost around $7.00.  Handy stuff to have around.  I don't know how many times I've made friction washers with that stuff.  I actually had to make a friction washer out of it to go on the top screw that holds the deflector mechanism on.  It helps eliminate binding through the arc as the deflector is adjusted.      

Ahh..  that's a nice touch by simplicity, I thought you may have painted it when you were at the axles and so forth.

There is only one hole in my chute and its at the top where the deflector covers it. Its a square hole and I don't know why it would be there. Must be for some other model and has a different attachment. It is on the opposite side of my deflector cables. Down bottom I would have to drill holes to make this work. Its a thought for future project. Maybe when I put the impeller kit on this machine when the warranty runs out.  Canadian tire has the karpet here, but its blue.. I would like to get my hands on a black out, or even better orange :)

Side note, have ordered the Deluxe snow cab. Did so a few weeks ago actually. Wish I done so when you did with the dollar strong. Going to cost me about $50 more I think. I ordered from two different places. Canceled the first order as I was getting a run around and bad service. The second order when much smoother and if it was not for the original order mistake I would probably have it now. Christmas is slowing it down too.  It is now in Canada and on its way, expected one day before first major snowstorm is predicted. Have not used my thrower this year yet.

Cheers
Goofie Newfie
Bolack

Reply #13   Dec 19, 2008 6:46 pm
Hi Mr Denis

I see u from Mtl and u have french name..

I suppose u talk french too. because my english is poor and have a couples of questions

to impeller kit..

Its possible to post my request in french here or do u have email can i write to u.

Thx..

Roger

friiy

Reply #14   Dec 19, 2008 7:05 pm
Our French here is horrible...  Try going to Google and Using French to English Translator...

Hope we can help,

La Friiy

Bolack

Reply #15   Dec 19, 2008 8:05 pm
When you install the rubber,
Does this rubber is touching the metal?
And if so happens is the light touch or with a big friction?
I have a snowblower MTD 8 HP.
Approximately what is the measure of your rubber pads
Thx for try to understand my questions ..
Roger
JohnnyBoyUpNorth

Reply #16   Nov 18, 2009 8:45 am
GtWtNorth,

Curious to know how your home made kit made out. Did it hold up? Wear out? Balance issues? I am going to install something like that on one of mine, just wondering if you would do it again or go with Clarence's kit.

Thanks

John

Contents under pressure....
GtWtNorth

Reply #17   Nov 19, 2009 9:54 am
JohnnyBoy,

They seemed to work very well although I can't compare before & after since I never used this machine before. No balance problems either, I tried to make sure all the parts were the same size to avoid imbalance. Not much wear either, when I installed, I tried to have them touch the sides, but only a minimum.

On a side note, I did move the rubber to the back of the blade when I did the final install. Had to use a second strip  of rubber to act as a spacer to clear the foldback on the lip of the impeller.

Cheers

This message was modified Nov 19, 2009 by GtWtNorth

JohnnyBoyUpNorth

Reply #18   Nov 19, 2009 5:31 pm
Thanks for the reply. I'll likely put mine underneath as well. There's a clown in my neighbourhood who delivers bundles of store flyers. He seems to have been born from the genetic pool that Joe Montana and Stevie Wonder would create. Great arm, but not much accuracy. I find those bundles of flyers everywhere, lawn, bed of my truck, roof... nowhere is safe.

If I put it underneath, I might buy a little room for jamming instead of pinching the rubber backwards and creating worse mess.

Thanks again

John

Contents under pressure....
GtWtNorth

Reply #19   Nov 19, 2009 6:57 pm
Salut Bolack

Tu peut ecrire en francais et je vais essayer de repondre le mieux que je peux (je suis un bloke et ma francais ecrit est horrible.)

Your english is very good, keep practicing, I don't think anyone here will critisize you. I can translate english to french and french to english if necessary better than most internet sites at least. I can always use the practice anyways.

Cheers

This message was modified Nov 19, 2009 by GtWtNorth

borat

Reply #20   Nov 19, 2009 8:57 pm
JohnnyBoyUpNorth wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I'll likely put mine underneath as well. There's a clown in my neighbourhood who delivers bundles of store flyers. He seems to have been born from the genetic pool that Joe Montana and Stevie Wonder would create. Great arm, but not much accuracy. I find those bundles of flyers everywhere, lawn, bed of my truck, roof... nowhere is safe.<BR><BR>If I put it underneath, I might buy a little room for jamming instead of pinching the rubber backwards and creating worse mess.<BR><BR>Thanks again<BR><BR>John

I've hit a rolled up newspapers and flyers a few times with a snow thrower. Didn't know what was going on when it first happened, just that the snow changed colour and didn't fall nearly as fast. Lazy jerk paper boy had a habit of throwing the flyer bundles at my steps and didn't care if they ended up on the driveway. So when it snowed, you wouldn't know they were there. I knew where the kid lived, so one night when it was snowing pretty good, I took little walk by his house and threw four bundles of flyers in his drive way. The next morning, I was giddy with the prospect of taking a bit of stroll past his place. I waited until later in the day (gave lots of time for the kid's father to clear the driveway) then went for a walk. As I approached, I could see the tell tale signs of coloured paper spread over a fairly broad area. As I got closer, I noticed that the driveway was only half cleared and the snow thrower silently sitting in the driveway. I took a good look at it from the street and could see that it had a bundle of flyers jambed in the auger and impeller.

What was really aggravating was that I had spoken very politely to the kid (about 12 years old), and had asked him to put the flyers in the plastic bags supplied to him and to make sure they land on the steps. Not a chance. In the summer, the lazy little jerk would leave four or five bundles of the same flyers on our steps regardless of the weather. Rain wind or shine. If we were not there to take care of them, they'd be all over the neighbourhood. A few times I've had to round up soggy flyers hanging from trees and shrubs after a nasty storm. In the winter, if he did put an elastic around them, he'd just fire them from the neighbour's driveway toward our steps. He wasn't too keen walking over the snow bank or back down to the street to access our house. It got so bad that I reported him to the newspaper that employed him - six times! Nothing was done. Finally, I told the newspaper that I'd have the kid charged with trespassing and would involve the law if the the b.s. didn't stop. Since then, things have been good. No more flyer problems. Just about everyone on our street cancelled their subscription to the paper thanks to the inconsistent delivery that the kid provided as well as his dumping of flyers. Yeah.... That kid was a real gem.
opecrazy

Reply #21   Nov 19, 2009 10:20 pm
Borat that story was awesome!
GtWtNorth

Reply #22   Nov 20, 2009 7:14 pm
"The next morning, I was giddy with the prospect of taking a bit of stroll past his place. I waited until later in the day (gave lots of time for the kid's father to clear the driveway) then went for a walk. As I approached, I could see the tell tale signs of coloured paper spread over a fairly broad area. As I got closer, I noticed that the driveway was only half cleared and the snow thrower silently sitting in the driveway. I took a good look at it from the street and could see that it had a bundle of flyers jambed in the auger and impeller."

Borat, you're my hero, that's what I call divine retribution. Did you ever consider writing short stories?

borat

Reply #23   Nov 20, 2009 9:40 pm
GtWtNorth wrote:
"The next morning, I was giddy with the prospect of taking a bit of stroll past his place. I waited until later in the day (gave lots of time for the kid's father to clear the driveway) then went for a walk. As I approached, I could see the tell tale signs of coloured paper spread over a fairly broad area. As I got closer, I noticed that the driveway was only half cleared and the snow thrower silently sitting in the driveway. I took a good look at it from the street and could see that it had a bundle of flyers jambed in the auger and impeller."

Borat, you're my hero, that's what I call divine retribution. Did you ever consider writing short stories?

Yeah. I tried it once. By the time they finished censoring the book, all that was left was the page numbers.
Replies: 1 - 23 of 23View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42