Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Is there any brilliant minds that can make a metal craftsman snowblower chute

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
BillG

WE WILL GET IT MONDAY

Is there any brilliant minds that can make a metal craftsman snowblower chute
Original Message   Sep 5, 2008 1:20 pm
This is my 4th plastic chute for my craftsman snowblower.  It is about 6 years old.  If a person  out there can make a metal chute for this snowblower,  he could become rich. If anyone has any ideas let me know  I have a 9 HP Craftsman snowblower.  Model # 536.887992   Thank You

WE WILL GET IT MONDAY
Replies: 13 - 22 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
starwarrior

Re: Is there any brilliant minds that can make a metal craftsman snowblower chute
Reply #13   Dec 5, 2010 8:00 am
Plastic chutes generally work just fine and are made of heavy guage, very durable polymers. If you have already gone through four of them you really should be looking at why it is happening rather then trying to redesign the unit. Quite honestly it sounds like  you are throwing rocks.

One of the biggest miconceptions is that plastic chutes are associated with a cheaper product line and all manufacturers, even the best of the besties are using plastic somewhere to drive down product costs.

Polymers from an engineering standpoint also act as vibration and stress dampeners. Realize that the hardware and support mechanisims that were designed for a plastic chute may not work very well when it is retrofitted with with a metal one. The differences between weight ,coefficients, and stress factors may just cause you more agrivation than the project is worth.

Bite the bullet, replace the plastic chute, and sell the snowblower on craigs list or your local peddlers paper.

Then buy one that was designed for a metal chute.

In the end you will be one happy Snowman

Starwarrior

This message was modified Dec 5, 2010 by starwarrior
trouts2

Re: Is there any brilliant minds that can make a metal craftsman snowblower chute
Reply #14   Dec 5, 2010 8:28 am

BillG, Estam, dave48060:

You guys have posted that you have chute problems but never gave specifics.  What exactly is wrong?  BillG why did you have to replace so many chutes?  Four chutes in six years is hard to imagine. 

Over the years I’ve only seen one plastic chute that was messed up.  The person stored the blower with something heavy laying on the chute and it developed a bend or set so leaning slightly.  It tossed fine though. 

buriedinsnow

Reply #15   Jan 18, 2011 6:44 pm
I have had to replace several plastic chutes. The issue with them is where the chute pivots. When it is cold, and the snow is crunchy the chute top of the chute rips at the the bottem edge of the deflector.

I go through at least one a year. Purchasing this machine was a mistake for where I live, it will do fine if all you get is six or so inches.  When the snow piles up at two to three inche an hour this machine is out of its element.

I am going to but another machine with a metal chute. I do not care what you call it plastic, composite , or polymer it is a fact thay a brittle when subjected to extreme cold. By the way if these issues were operator error craftsman would not have issues keeping up with demend for the replacement part.

That is my two cents, With that said I believe I will go back to old faithfull Ariens. I am also considering Honda.

Does any one have any other suggestions, if you have never seen 30 inches over night save your comments please. 

Shryp

Reply #16   Jan 19, 2011 4:29 am
Is it possible for you to get several big flat washers and put around the bolts where the chute pivots?

Or get some flat stock and bolt it to the top of the chute and bolt the pivot on that.
dmottv

Reply #17   Jan 19, 2011 1:59 pm
Yes, My 2002 9 hp 29" blower Model No. 536.887990 has the same problem. The bolt hole at the base of the plastic chute ripped out years ago. I made a "frankenstein" repair by wrapping the chute exterior at the base with hardware cloth that I attached to the base bolts, then drilled holes about 1.5" above the base in the plastic chute and ran addt'l bolts through both the hardware cloth and the plastic chute. It's worked for a few years, but just ripped out. The plastic chutes are junk, they just don't stand up to snowfall in northern climes.There's a good reason some of the other brands use a metal chute. I guess I'll have to see if I can find a replacement metal chute though in the meantime I'll try another patch job, maybe with 6" single wall stove pipe band trimmed and wrapped around the chute exterior base...
This message was modified Jan 19, 2011 by dmottv
buriedinsnow

Reply #18   Jan 19, 2011 6:17 pm
I spoke with a customer service rep from craftsman today. They are working on a new design, their concern with a metal chute is rust. I replied by telling him people will deal with rust alot better than replacing the chute at $40 a wack every time it blows off. i did reinfoce this last chute. I did it by bending up a sheet of 18 gauge to fit the deflector, but it only worked until the whole chute blew off at the base where it rotates. They no longer distribute the replacement chute to the parts warehouse so I had to pay $48.80 to have one shipped instead of the $37.50 when you walk in and pick one up. We are going to get 1-3 tonight and agian tomorrow night, the up to a foot on friday. I went to buy a new machine this evening and I have turned into one of those fools who have missed the boat by an hour. Not happy.
GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Reply #19   Jan 19, 2011 9:13 pm
I replaced the plastic chute on my Mastercraft MTD with a metal one from another machine (TTI?). Not because it was broken but the metal one had a cable operated deflector. The chute rotation mechanism was the same but the base diameter of the metal chute was a bit too big for my liking and flopped around a bit. So I cut out a small pie shaped wedge out of the ring, then gently convinced the two edges together and welded it up. After a bit of grinding on the weld, you can''t even see where it was and the fit looks OEM.

Cheers
This message was modified Jan 19, 2011 by GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp
Oneplay

Reply #20   Jan 20, 2011 5:03 am
I also had a craftsman with a plastic chute for 10+ years before giving it to my brother  recently with the chute still in near perfect condition.

Perhaps its the larger engine and accompanying force of the discharged snow in your machine as mine was only a 5 hp unit but the polymer chute worked perfectly well for me.
dmottv

Reply #21   Jan 26, 2011 9:57 am
To follow up: I picked up a thin metal tie at Home Depot, drilled out holes to line up with my "frankenstein" reinforcement bolts as described in my earlier post, bolted it to the one side that ripped out, and it is working for now. The metal tie reinforces the plastic chute, bolted at the bottom end to one of the bolts of the chute base, and at the top end to one of my new bolts drilled through the plastic chute about 1.5" above the base. The metal tie was about 2" wide by about 12" long, predrilled with a number of small holes, I cut it in half. BTW, I installed the new hex head bolt through the chute with the head on the inside, a nylon lined lock nut on the outside, to avoid snow buildup, etc.

The bolt on the chute pivot is not working very well either, it eventually slips when blowing snow wetter than can be "broomed". I think I'll look for a couple of washers with teeth, or some other "repair" method.

I have access to a somewhat similar vintage Craftsman 5hp 24" snowblower as well, and the chute on that one is still in pretty good shape. There may be some merit to the comment above about the greater force of the larger snowblower.

This message was modified Jan 26, 2011 by dmottv
Totowasteve

Reply #22   Mar 26, 2018 7:16 am
I run two different blowers, both 8 HP, and have blown the top of the chute practically off on each machine, but instead of just buying a whole new chute, I put them on a piano hinge instead of the internal wire hinge that they come with. So far so good, been several storms and frozen over snow, and they are holding up great. My problems were from blowing chunks of ice.
Replies: 13 - 22 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42