Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Two new vacs from Dyson . . .

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Two new vacs from Dyson . . .
Original Message   Jan 19, 2012 1:58 pm
Just got a press release this a.m.  Dyson's introducing two new canister "ball" vacs -- the compact, 12 lb. DC38 and the 15  lb. full-sized DC39 which is available in two versions, the "Multi-purpose" and the "Animal" .   http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2012/01/19/james-dyson-unveils-new-vacuum-cleaner-built-on-a-mini-football-115875-23706045/

Somewhat simillar to prior models, design alterations have made them a little more eyecatching but then you really do want your product to be sexy if you're asking for the kind of money they want.  The DC38 and the DC39 Multi-purpose price at 299.99 pounds in the UK ($464 American approx.) .  The Animal version of the DC39 sells at 399.99 pounds ($618 American approx.) .  No matter the price, the proof is in the puddng.  Can they clean?

The design revamp is rather low-slung so my first question is do they travel over door sills easily. Also, I looked hard but neither read or heard mention of onboard tool storage. The introductory Animal canister model does not have an electrically driven power nozzle but a turbo nozzle that can be mechanically stopped via a trigger on the hose handle.  The "Multi-purpose" employs a new spin on its straight suction floor tool.  It adjusts automatically for hard flooring and rugs.  Though I haven't seen it in action other than on video its at least refreshing to something different in design than the current standard tools turn up.  Dirty capacity for the full-size models is two litres.  The compact machine holds a little over half a litre.

http://www.dyson.co.uk/vacuums/ball/default.asp

Venson

This message was modified Jan 19, 2012 by Venson
Replies: 4 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: Two new vacs from Dyson . . .
Reply #4   Jan 21, 2012 6:02 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
. . . The only appliance I have that's British is our old Kenwood Chef table mixer.

Wow!  That's the thing I've been looking for.  I can't keep up with Kitchen-Aid's price point rise and also its countertop footprint.  Kenwood's compact Prospero -- a real stunner -- might well be the ticket but it isn't on the market here.

As for the turbo nozzles, I have used several versions over the years.  They're more or less if all you need to is a light clean.  Due to the nature of their operation they need x-amount supply of incoming air keep the turbine turning the brushroll at a reasonable rate.  That's why they have vents.  Block the vents and rely on air coming through the brush chamber and they begin to stall. However, if your rugs are light and low pile and not subject to heavy traffic you might get by.

Just to mention, Miele cans usually only a score of good for carpet cleaning in CR's test.  The Calisto ranked "very good" this trip.  Why?  They Calisto they tested came with the electric SEB228 nozzle and not the SEB217 that the other Miele's with PNs tested with.  Considering the price of the brand, why one standard power nozzle?  That I don't know but I do know it makes a difference.

Venson

vacmanuk

Reply #5   Jan 21, 2012 9:09 pm
Well, I dont know about the Miele's case since none of the canisters in the UK come with a powered nozzle bar a very highly priced stand alone model. I guess UK buyers are a bit more savvy when it comes to Miele purchases - most know they can buy optional accessories rather than buying an "exclusive" model that comes with a special nozzle.

Which said that the Sebo turbo nozzle did poorly on pet hair pick up, yet I find its wonderful compared to the bulkier air driven Miele floor head. Just goes to show that real time ownership is better than industry testing.
vacmanuk

Reply #6   Jan 22, 2012 9:10 am
Venson wrote:
Wow!  That's the thing I've been looking for.  I can't keep up with Kitchen-Aid's price point rise and also its countertop footprint.  Kenwood's compact Prospero -- a real stunner -- might well be the ticket but it isn't on the market here.

As for the turbo nozzles, I have used several versions over the years.  They're more or less if all you need to is a light clean.  Due to the nature of their operation they need x-amount supply of incoming air keep the turbine turning the brushroll at a reasonable rate.  That's why they have vents.  Block the vents and rely on air coming through the brush chamber and they begin to stall. However, if your rugs are light and low pile and not subject to heavy traffic you might get by.

Just to mention, Miele cans usually only a score of good for carpet cleaning in CR's test.  The Calisto ranked "very good" this trip.  Why?  They Calisto they tested came with the electric SEB228 nozzle and not the SEB217 that the other Miele's with PNs tested with.  Considering the price of the brand, why one standard power nozzle?  That I don't know but I do know it makes a difference.

Venson

Personally Venson, the Prospero is ideal if you have a small kitchen, small baking needs. It replaces the Cuisine model (see below), a predecessor table mixer which was supposed to replace the much loved "Chefette," a hand mixer with a mechanically geared moving bowl and stand. We had a Cuisine and it was awful. Kept breaking down in its gear box and the mixing performance whilst good wasn't any better than chucking the mix into our old Kenwood food processor with the steel blade. In the end I had to buy another Kenwood Chef. Of course they are much bigger than the newer Prospero but at least you can get plenty of spares and you can custom build the old Chef to match your needs with attachments that are universal and cheaper to buy if you know where to look.

As for Dyson -some interesting reading here - http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/features/dyson-the-corridors-of-brain-power-2266760.html
Replies: 4 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42