Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Kenmore Progressive Glide 30100 upright - stick vac

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Kenmore Progressive Glide 30100 upright - stick vac
Original Message   Oct 22, 2010 11:46 am
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02030100000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=L1

It looks like Sears has a new Kenmore stick vac with power nozzle.  Price is $199.99 currently. 

Product Description from website:

The Kenmore Progressive Glide upright vacuum cleaner combines heavy-duty cleaning and lightweight maneuverability into a single stylish upright.

• Ultra lightweight - 12.9 lbs - makes the Glide effortless to use, carry, and put away
  • Swivel+ steering system makes it easy to avoid obstacles and furniture
  • Electronic Dirt Sensor alerts you to the dirt that you can't see
  • Foot-activated Height Adjust sets the vacuum at the perfect height to clean your carpet
  • Fingertip Control allows you to clean multiple surfaces with the touch of a finger
  • Optimum Carpet and Bare Floor cleaning delivered by a 2 motor system
  • Vacuum contains recyclable plastic, uses 100% recyclable packaging, and uses 17% less energy than a 12 amp vacuum
  • (Let's see 17% less than a 12 amp vacuum - 0.83*12= 10 amps motor.)

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
    Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
    Venson

Re: Kenmore Progressive Glide 30100 upright - stick vac
    Reply #4   Oct 24, 2010 9:34 am
    CarmineD wrote:
    Hi Venson:

ORECK [and perhaps SEARS was copying here too as with the Glide moniker] has and does make the claim that its direct suction design and function is more energy efficient than the convoluted by-pass dirt path uprights.  ORECK's printed claim says its uprights use about 1/3 the electricity of conventional full size major brands.

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

Efficiently running vacuums that need only 400 to 600 watts to clean well certainly classifiy as energy savers in light of all the higher draw models, 10 amps and up, on the market.  That's worth advertising.

There of course is the other way round.  It could be claimed that higher suction, etc., could get you done faster thus balancing out electrical cost but I doubt it.  By way of too many variables judge, lifestyle, materials to be cleaned, frequency of use and manner of cleaning, vacuuming remains one of the most labor intensive household chores save for the robotic newbies that can't be depended on for more than surface cleaning.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #5   Oct 24, 2010 9:02 pm
    Venson wrote:
    Hi Carmine,

Efficiently running vacuums that need only 400 to 600 watts to clean well certainly classifiy as energy savers in light of all the higher draw models, 10 amps and up, on the market.  That's worth advertising.

There of course is the other way round.  It could be claimed that higher suction, etc., could get you done faster thus balancing out electrical cost but I doubt it.  By way of too many variables judge, lifestyle, materials to be cleaned, frequency of use and manner of cleaning, vacuuming remains one of the most labor intensive household chores save for the robotic newbies that can't be depended on for more than surface cleaning.

Venson

Hi Venson:

One of the key variables being lightweight which favors ORECK.  Typically, the ORECK uprights trump all other uprights of the 10 to 12 amp full size in the Consumer Reports rate an excellent.  Ratings of excellent in handling equates to less physical effort.  Less physical effort translates to less time to get the vacuuming done.  Less time equates to less energy used which compounds the energy effciency rating for ORECK's versus the others.

SEARS Glide weighs in at almost 14 pounds which technically qualifies as a lightweight vacuum.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 25, 2010 by CarmineD
    vacmanuk

Reply #6   Oct 24, 2010 11:26 pm
    What about the Miele S140 series?/ stick vac Anyone got these? The UK had one model for many years but it was deemed too heavy and Miele took it out of the UK straight away.
    Vernon

Reply #7   Oct 25, 2010 12:00 am
    vacmanuk wrote:
    What about the Miele S140 series?/ stick vac Anyone got these?
    Yes Vacmanuk, I have a Miele S147 with the SEB 217 powerhead.  I consider it to be one of the few stick vacs that are effective.   It has more suction and airflow than many canisters.  Filtration and filtration options are great.  It has multiple configurations to suit each individual.  Drawbacks that I can see are:  1) bags are small,  2)a little on the heavy side, depending on which configuration you have set up.

Vernon
    CarmineD

Reply #8   Oct 25, 2010 6:44 am
    MIELE bills these S140 model series as stick vacuums and universal uprights!  Some call these mini-uprights.  Prices ranging from $200-$400 plus.  But,  primarily straight suction cleaning feature in this product series except the most expensive model which offers a revolving brush [pictured below S147].  Also corded with 1000 watts.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 25, 2010 by CarmineD
    vacmanuk

Reply #9   Oct 25, 2010 9:14 am
    The base model S140 was sold in the UK for some time but as I said previously Miele took it off the market. It would make sense to offer buyers now, a lower wattage upright but again UK are slow to buy into the small stick idea even though this one is far bigger. I recall using one and felt it was too heavy. AEG used to make an even heavier one I used in the 80s that had a strange "reverse" shape suction pipe and handle that made it into a cylinder but it was even heavier to drag behind than push forwards.
    CarmineD

Reply #10   Nov 20, 2010 7:55 am
    SEARS is selling the Progressive Glide for $149 on sale.  Perhaps the one and only review has some clues to the reason.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02030100000P?prdNo=1#reviewsWrap

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #11   Nov 20, 2010 4:26 pm
    CarmineD wrote:
    SEARS is selling the Progressive Glide for $149 on sale.  Perhaps the one and only review has some clues to the reason.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02030100000P?prdNo=1#reviewsWrap

Carmine D.

Ola Carmine,

Thanks I read the review. As before in my books, being what it is, I can see the Glide in use in small homes and apartments where it might serve, lending a sense of thoroughness because of the "big" motor, as sole vacuum for not overly fussy or trendy-type housekeepers. It might also serve as a high-powered supplementary vac in larger homes that already have full-size vacuums for regular duty.

Nonetheless, as it is an old idea that's been done long before, this vacuum is not supposed to have attachments. It's predecessors didn't either. Whether Hoover, Regina, Shetland or Bissell lightweights, with the add on of power nozzles their power was assumed a near to regular upright machines for rug cleaning and that's all they were intended to do -- clean rugs and maybe bare flooring too.

Users of the Glide should only expect to use it to do floors. For anything else, you spray some Pledge on a piece of paper toweling or a cloth, swat a table top with it and call it cleaning. However, that's all the more reason why it -- the "Glide" -- should be priced far more sensibly. There is nothing to this cleaner other than a larger than usual motor has been placed in a stick vac.

I can't believe the public has allowed itself to run so far afield that it can not see what is in front of its face and as clear and obvious as day. But I am probably mistaken since Sears is most likely cutting the price almost 25-percent in the effort just to move the darn thing. The designers who came up with the idea for Sears should have seriously looked at the Shark Navigator, which was already here, and attempted to come up with something better or snazzier.

Best,

Venson
    This message was modified Nov 20, 2010 by Venson
    CarmineD

Reply #12   Nov 20, 2010 5:08 pm
    Olah Venson:

The message in the buyer's review is that for $200 a vacuum, in the current economy and times, stick or not, has to have more capabilities than this SEARS Glide.  Interesting perspective. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #13   Nov 20, 2010 5:25 pm
    CarmineD wrote:
    Olah Venson:

The message in the buyer's review is that for $200 a vacuum, in the current economy and times, stick or not, has to have more capabilities than this SEARS Glide.  Interesting perspective. 

Carmine D.

Well, here's to those who dare to dream -- customers and dmanufacturers. Shoppers want something for their money even though in the today's balance a couple hundred bucks is considered nothing -- except to those who have to sweat some to get it. Product makers appear to be looking for a lot for even the least of their efforts.

This is why I hope people will start toughening up and learn to play hard ball with producers of frivolous product especially in hard times. There needs to come enough public knowledge re how things are made, where they are made, what it costs to make them and so on to allow for a consensus among consumer regarding fair prices.

Venson
    Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
    Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
    AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
    Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
    Site by Take 42