Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson Digital Slim

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson Digital Slim
Original Message   Jul 19, 2010 5:58 pm
Here's the details of a trademark that Dyson has filed for a to-be-launched project, the 'Digital Slim':-

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/tm/t-os/t-find/t-find-number?detailsrequested=C&trademark=2552353

As usual, the trademark covers a multitude of product categories. Personally, I'd reckon the most likely candidate is a 'slim' upright vacuum, with a 'digital' motor. Dyson have used the 'slim' name before - on the DC18. The upright range has long been missing a product with digital motor. I would also be good if by slim, they mean as thin in profile as the DC03 - which could be hung on the wall and take up next to no space inside a storeage cupboard:-

The major downside was it's small, weedy motor. But if replaced with a similar model using a digital motor, it wouldn't have that same issue.

This message was modified Jul 19, 2010 by M00seUK
Replies: 24 - 33 of 56Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Re: Dyson Digital Slim
Reply #24   Jul 27, 2010 12:25 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DC18:

I'm not a fan of the dyson ball models.  If I had to choose, it would be the DC25 BUT a word of caution if you are buying.  Within a year of launch of these models, there were problems with the main motor wiring harness in the DC25 models.  They broke in two.  Motor goes dead.  Retailers/customers were reporting the models were not running within months of purchase.  One authorized dyson dealer here stopped selling the model even at customer requests until he could comfirm dyson had a reliable fix.  I supect by now it does but I haven't verified with him [yet].  He keeps pestering me to work for him exclusively on dyson repairs and refurbs and I keep turning him down.  BTW, BEST BUY insiders told me the DC15 was the worse seller of all dysons it carried except for the DC11.  The DC15 ball MSRP fiasco didn't help.  Dropped the official MSRP by $100 within months of launch. 

WRT a DDM slim, that has my interest too.  But like all innovative products [iPhone 4], comes with risks, not the least of which is the usual exorbitant dyson price.  It appears the DC33 on the dyson GB site does not have DDM.  Appears to be a budget dyson model based on a hybrid of existing models in the line up.

Carmine D.

PS: Thanks for the Wikipedia dyson site.  Very interesting.

Hi Carmine D Thanks for your info. I prefer the Dyson Ball models to the standard ones, although I did like my DC07 when I had it! I prefer the DC25 over the DC24, although I'm not planning to upgrade the DC15 as yet still has live in it! The DC25 is quite a popular model in the UK so I hear. I'll be interested to see what form the next Dyson Ball models take, might wait until then to upgrade or see what the Dyson Digital Slim is going to be! The DC33 is a hybrid of the DC14 and DC27 models and no DDM is present in the UK versions which is a shame! The DDM Slim has my interest too! I seen that Wikipedia has removed the DC35 Dyson Digital Slim entry off the site now, wonder why!? DC18
M00seUK

Reply #25   Jul 27, 2010 1:20 pm
DC18 wrote:
The DDM Slim has my interest too! I seen that Wikipedia has removed the DC35 Dyson Digital Slim entry off the site now, wonder why!? DC18

Wikipedia reports: "Factually incorrect as the DC35 does not exist" ...which is pretty much true.
CarmineD

Reply #26   Jul 27, 2010 1:29 pm
DC18 wrote:
Hi Carmine D Thanks for your info. I prefer the Dyson Ball models to the standard ones, although I did like my DC07 when I had it! I prefer the DC25 over the DC24, although I'm not planning to upgrade the DC15 as yet still has live in it! The DC25 is quite a popular model in the UK so I hear. I'll be interested to see what form the next Dyson Ball models take, might wait until then to upgrade or see what the Dyson Digital Slim is going to be! The DC33 is a hybrid of the DC14 and DC27 models and no DDM is present in the UK versions which is a shame! The DDM Slim has my interest too! I seen that Wikipedia has removed the DC35 Dyson Digital Slim entry off the site now, wonder why!? DC18

Hello DC18:

You have to have an inclination for the ball dyson models to like them.  I thought the DC15 did a decent job on rugs.  But it was a monstrosity.  Most people just didn't cotton up to the vacuum.  They were intrigued with it.  But price turned them off along with poundage.  Much like the HOOVER Z which was criticized for those reasons.  Most dyson users/buyers who I talk with, if they like their dysons, tell me they don't like the ball model.  When I ask them what dyson model they use, they can't always tell me but say right off NOT THE ONE WITH THE BALL. 

At the expense of being redundant, I believe a DDM slim upright is not on the dyson radar screen yet except in the minds of Sir James and perhaps a few close to him.  Missed the boat on lightweights like a slim and robots where dyson could have carved out nice niche markets to supplement its business operations.  Too scattered and unfocused on all things not vacuums.  It's hurt him and the company except for lifting short term ego and immediate bucks in the bank.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #27   Jul 27, 2010 8:26 pm
I never liked the ball at all. Had difficulty cleaning under low furniture, a fact that can be seen made easier by a Sebo X1.1 from this user on you tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUpt0xZO9U0
DC18

Reply #28   Jul 29, 2010 12:31 pm
M00seUK wrote:
Wikipedia reports: "Factually incorrect as the DC35 does not exist" ...which is pretty much true.

The entry was on there briefly for a few days, but has since been removed as it does not exist. DC18
DC18

Reply #29   Jul 29, 2010 12:41 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DC18:

You have to have an inclination for the ball dyson models to like them.  I thought the DC15 did a decent job on rugs.  But it was a monstrosity.  Most people just didn't cotton up to the vacuum.  They were intrigued with it.  But price turned them off along with poundage.  Much like the HOOVER Z which was criticized for those reasons.  Most dyson users/buyers who I talk with, if they like their dysons, tell me they don't like the ball model.  When I ask them what dyson model they use, they can't always tell me but say right off NOT THE ONE WITH THE BALL. 

At the expense of being redundant, I believe a DDM slim upright is not on the dyson radar screen yet except in the minds of Sir James and perhaps a few close to him.  Missed the boat on lightweights like a slim and robots where dyson could have carved out nice niche markets to supplement its business operations.  Too scattered and unfocused on all things not vacuums.  It's hurt him and the company except for lifting short term ego and immediate bucks in the bank.

Carmine D.

Hello Carmine D Yes you do I suppose. The newer Ball Models are lighter to the DC15, and I think the DC15 does a very good job on rugs\carpets, but I'm told the DC25 goes one better! The DC15 was very bulky compared to the DC25 thats out now! It's a shame Dyson didn't (or maybe they are working on it!) push the DC18 Slim Model more, I like the DC18 especially as the cleaning head pertrudes the actual body of the cleaner. I'm hoping the Dyson DDM Slim in more than in the minds, and that they are working on this project. They need a model in the line up that can go flat on the floor to clean under low furniture without having to use the tools all the time. Heres hoping!! DC18
This message was modified Jul 30, 2010 by DC18
CarmineD

Reply #30   Jul 29, 2010 8:04 pm
DC18 wrote:
Hello Carmine D Yes you do I suppose. The newer Ball Models are lighter to the DC15, and I think the DC15 does a very good job on rugs\carpets, but I'm told the DC25 goes one better! The DC15 was very bulky compared to the DC25 thats out now! It's a shame Dyson didn't (or maybe they are working on it!) push the DC18 Slim Model more, I like the DC18 especially as the cleaning head pertrudes the actual body of the cleaner. I'm hoping the Dyson DDM Slim in more than in the minds, and that they are working on this project. They need a model in the line up that can go flat on the floor to clean under low furniture with having to use the tools all the time. Heres hoping!! DC18

I agree with you DC18.  Dyson is long overdue for such.  People's hope, as much as it helps to foster good PR for the future, is wearing thin.  Sooner or later dyson has to deliver to keep its credibility.  Not with a patent that covers every thing from A to Z and back again.  But THE product and price.

Carmine D.

M00seUK

Reply #31   Oct 23, 2010 9:26 am
Backing up the previous (since deleted) claim on the Dyson Wikipedia page, the 'Digital Slim' is confirmed as 'DC35'. It's cordless, uses the Dyson Digital Motor, an independently driven brushbar (1,400 RPM, with carbon fibre brushes)... 'the most powerful lightweight cordless vacuum cleaner'... however, I suspect that no-one reckoned it would look quite like this:-

http://www.binglee.com.au/home-appliances/vacuums-floor-care/stick/dyson-dc35-dc35-cordless-vacuum-cleaner

Dyson genius or market failure? They certainly seem ever proud to break from the accepted norm. I guess this could still be classified as a 'stick vac'?

This message was modified Oct 23, 2010 by M00seUK
CarmineD

Reply #32   Oct 23, 2010 1:44 pm
Wow.  What can one say?  A picture is worth a 1000 words and in this case a belly full of laughs.  I wouldn't classify a stick vac by any stretch of the vacuum industry imagination.  No more than I would classify a Kirby a bagless vacuum just becuase it uses an after market retrofitted Keeler bagless dirt bin.  The DC35 is more a hand held vacuum with attachments.  Not a new concept for vacuums in the USA.  Decades ago HOOVER capitalized [or tried to] on the same concept in the 60's and 70's with the Pixie Vac and Handi Sac vacuums [the latter were called stick unless used with attachments in hand held mode].   In fact, GE initiated the concept in the 40's with the GE Tidy Vac.   A small handheld with shoulder strap and attachments including wands.  A number of vacuum makers have come before dyson's DC35 slim whatever it is.  Not sure what the price for this product is/will be but if it follows in the line of other dysons it's sure to be way overpriced.

Carmine D.

Dyson - DC35 - DC35 Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
This message was modified Oct 23, 2010 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #33   Oct 23, 2010 6:54 pm
armineD wrote:
Wow.  What can one say?  A picture is worth a 1000 words and in this case a belly full of laughs.  I wouldn't classify a stick vac by any stretch of the vacuum industry imagination.  No more than I would classify a Kirby a bagless vacuum just becuase it uses an after market retrofitted Keeler bagless dirt bin.  The DC35 is more a hand held vacuum with attachments.  Not a new concept for vacuums in the USA.  Decades ago HOOVER capitalized [or tried to] on the same concept in the 60's and 70's with the Pixie Vac and Handi Sac vacuums [the latter were called stick unless used with attachments in hand held mode].   In fact, GE initiated the concept in the 40's with the GE Tidy Vac.   A small handheld with shoulder strap and attachments including wands.  A number of vacuum makers have come before dyson's DC35 slim whatever it is.  Not sure what the price for this product is/will be but if it follows in the line of other dysons it's sure to be way overpriced.

Carmine D.

Dyson - DC35 - DC35 Cordless Vacuum Cleaner

Sears has gone on the band wagon with this idea too.  If you own a Kenmore can, yoiu can purchase a handheld cleaner to tag on to your existing PN and wandsfor quick-ups without using the main cleaner.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02021000000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=L2

Venson

Replies: 24 - 33 of 56Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42