Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson Digital Slim

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson Digital Slim
Original Message   Jul 19, 2010 5:58 pm
Here's the details of a trademark that Dyson has filed for a to-be-launched project, the 'Digital Slim':-

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/tm/t-os/t-find/t-find-number?detailsrequested=C&trademark=2552353

As usual, the trademark covers a multitude of product categories. Personally, I'd reckon the most likely candidate is a 'slim' upright vacuum, with a 'digital' motor. Dyson have used the 'slim' name before - on the DC18. The upright range has long been missing a product with digital motor. I would also be good if by slim, they mean as thin in profile as the DC03 - which could be hung on the wall and take up next to no space inside a storeage cupboard:-

The major downside was it's small, weedy motor. But if replaced with a similar model using a digital motor, it wouldn't have that same issue.

This message was modified Jul 19, 2010 by M00seUK
Replies: 37 - 46 of 56Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
vacmanuk

Re: Dyson Digital Slim
Reply #37   Oct 24, 2010 11:24 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi vacmanuk,

Though it's for light work, have you found an advantage? 

Venson

Kind of. As you'll see in the picture above, the hand held has one suction pipe in this photo, but in reality it comes with two suction pipes that can be extended making it a suction only floor cleaner. I bought the hand held after my Dirt Devil of 23 years old (the Handy model) gave up one day until I discovered the plastic fan had had enough of its dirty fan system and broke in two. Wasn't really that surprised because the Dirt Devil Handy models are fantastic value but the ones in the UK were too overpriced and the Black and Decker looked a bit better on value and attachments.

The floor tool that is supplied is like a standard suction only pedal floor head that can clear hard floors pretty well. In use it works okay - to a point - the hand part of the vacuum gets too hot too quickly so if you're cleaning a home that hasn't had central heating on for a couple of days, this is one vacuum that will sure warm you up. It works well on stairs as shown though and there is even a blower attachment as well as several tools shown on the box photo here.

Problem with the B&D is that the plastic suction tubes are too thinly made, so it can bend in use and feel liable to split apart  = but in theory it is a great attachment and a good idea. The tubes are smaller than 32 mm so I can't attach Hoover pipes or similar which could give this model a bit more longevity and durability.

If there are two things I do like about this model, then its main crevice tool which you can just pick off the top and lock it into the mouth. Also the bin area is well designed. Flip lock and just angle it into a bin. The cyclonic design is rather unusual - split bin with a plastic permanently fitted top disc that has a sprung "wing" which bends down the moment the bin lid is opened and thus allows the dust to fall out. You can watch the dust spin around and around but it never touches the bottom part of the bin which has a single mesh filter cyclone.
CarmineD

Reply #38   Oct 25, 2010 6:07 am
Black & Decker Stick Vac Cordless MSRP $110. Revolving Brush.  Stick version of the the hand held B&D pivot vacuum.  Both these B&D cleaning products are in all the big box retailers and marketed and sold in the states for a number of years.

Not sure of the weight of these products compared to dyson's latest DC35.

Carmine D.

18V Cordless Pivoting Floor Vac

MODEL # PSV1800

18V Cordless Pivoting Floor Vac
This message was modified Oct 25, 2010 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #39   Oct 25, 2010 6:11 am
The Black & Decker cordless mini canister Flex with MSRP of $79.  Newer to the US market than the pivot stick and held held vacuums, probably just several years of sales and becoming just as pervasive as the B&D pivot hand held and stick with prices starting at $60 [Wal*Mart stores].

Weighs in at less than 4 pounds and has a 4 foot hose and attachments for straight suction cleaning.

Carmine D.

FLEX™ - Cordless Mini Canister Vac

MODEL # FHV1200

FLEX™ - Cordless Mini Canister Vac
This message was modified Oct 25, 2010 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #40   Oct 25, 2010 8:48 am
M00seUK wrote:
Thanks Carmine / Venson – I didn’t know that this arrangement had been tried before. In the Dyson case, it appears to be a standard DC31, a Dyson Motorhead part and a connecting wand. Beyond this, it looks like very little additional product design has gone in to it?

It looks like it’s positioned for quick pickups. I imagine for the moment that the battery life remains the same? When I lived in an apartment with wood laminate floors, I would frequently use a DC16 handheld, to pick up debris that I had swept in to a pile. I can see how this new Dyson might be quicker in this regard. But one point puzzles me; why the powerhead? Surely if used on carpeted floor it will soon fill up the bin – wouldn’t a mid to large-sized canister be more suitable for a powerhead arrangement?

The one bonus I can see is it being cordless and much more approachable for quick clean ups and dumping. Maybe there’s a certain user case for it - it won’t have cost them much to develop and can claim a certain crown of being the most powerful cordless lightweight. I agree that the price (converted from $ASD) does seem too high,  but as said with the Air Multiplier, they’ll always aim a unique product like this, see which way the wind blows and discount if potential buyers act indifferent.

I recently read an article that coined a brilliant phrase for this type of brand maker thinking and action:  "Behavioral economics."  Basically the premise of the writer is that product makers and their loyal customers discount the drawbacks of products they are emotionally in favor of.  Sound like an inventor/brand talked about here?  Before you answer it has nothing to do with vacuums, fans, and hand driers but with wind turbines. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #41   Oct 25, 2010 10:00 am
M00seUK wrote:
. . . But one point puzzles me; why the powerhead? Surely if used on carpeted floor it will soon fill up the bin – wouldn’t a mid to large-sized canister be more suitable for a powerhead arrangement?

Hiya M00seUK,

I'd think the power nozzle is hoped to enhance surface litter pick up. Though the suction in this type of set-up certainly would win no points for deep cleaning, as regards small, light duty maneuvers,it should be able to quickly whisk away "top soil". Best, Venson
vacmanuk

Reply #42   Oct 25, 2010 8:07 pm
Venson wrote:
Hiya M00seUK,

I'd think the power nozzle is hoped to enhance surface litter pick up. Though the suction in this type of set-up certainly would win no points for deep cleaning, as regards small, light duty maneuvers,it should be able to quickly whisk away "top soil". Best, Venson

Spot on Venson! Infact as an owner of the original Electrolux Ergorapido, their first model had a rubber squeegee and thin paint brush like beater bar that didn't do it much favour on carpets. Did well on hard floors. Ergorapido mark 2 had a proper bristle bar with thicker tufts to cope with carpets. Replaces the idea of a dustpan and brush, supposedly.
M00seUK

Reply #43   Oct 26, 2010 7:42 am
Venson wrote:
Hiya M00seUK,

Ah, so the rationale is that a relatively low-powered, cordless vacuum won’t always have enough suction on carpet to remove all surface debris and thus requires a brushbar. I’d imagine if carefully calibrated, the effectiveness of this could fall between dislodging for surface pick up and not the carpet pile itself.

I remember that James Dyson said once (about the DC16 handheld) that they were surprised to learn that a proportion of people were using the cleaner for general maintenance cleaning about the house. It appears, to better fit this use, they’ve increased the run time (with the DC31) and now, fitted a powered head, on a wand, with steerable wheels. It might well only satisfy a niche in the market, but as said, the investment in product development appears modest.
vacmanuk

Reply #44   Oct 26, 2010 10:14 am
M00seUK wrote:
Ah, so the rationale is that a relatively low-powered, cordless vacuum won’t always have enough suction on carpet to remove all surface debris and thus requires a brushbar. I’d imagine if carefully calibrated, the effectiveness of this could fall between dislodging for surface pick up and not the carpet pile itself.

I remember that James Dyson said once (about the DC16 handheld) that they were surprised to learn that a proportion of people were using the cleaner for general maintenance cleaning about the house. It appears, to better fit this use, they’ve increased the run time (with the DC31) and now, fitted a powered head, on a wand, with steerable wheels. It might well only satisfy a niche in the market, but as said, the investment in product development appears modest.

I'd say the rationale is offering buyers something better than a mechanical sweeper and that effectively is what the cordless dust busters with a stick and a moving brush roll are trying to emulate here. The next big step is to develop something Karcher already tried years ago; develop a wet brush model that picks up dirt or water on floors. I like the versatility that the brands are offering with so many different attachments to extend cleaning cycles with a dust buster on the hand - but it isnt exactly new - its just moving the game on a bit. The Americans reversed the design theory offering a hand held with a permanent brush roll and mains cord with extendable pipes and other attachments in the form of the Dirt Devil handy but one could argue it's mains powered only and restricts a "clean-anywhere" approach without a plug socket. Black and Decker know more about any other brand with wet pick up dust busters and could develop their interest further.
CarmineD

Reply #45   Oct 26, 2010 3:33 pm
It's been proven that battery run times for these cleaning products diminishes when a revolving brush meets resistance from carpeting vice straight barefloor cleaning.  It would be interesting for a consumer, since dyson won't, to test the DC35 run times for both cleaning situations.  First in the barefloor cleaning mode.  Then in the carpet cleaning mode.  Measuring DC35 run times and noting the time differential. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 26, 2010 by CarmineD
M00seUK

Reply #46   Oct 27, 2010 3:12 pm
CarmineD wrote:
It's been proven that battery run times for these cleaning products diminishes when a revolving brush meets resistance from carpeting vice straight barefloor cleaning.  It would be interesting for a consumer, since dyson won't, to test the DC35 run times for both cleaning situations.  First in the barefloor cleaning mode.  Then in the carpet cleaning mode.  Measuring DC35 run times and noting the time differential. 

Carmine D.

Always good to have the numbers for evaluation purposes. Here are the runtime figures from Dyson for the DC35:-

• 15 minutes on high power (28 aw - constant)

• 13 minutes when using the motorised brushbar (1,400 RPM)

• 6 minutes when using max power mode (65 aw - constant)

That all sounds reasonable for the small to mid-sized house this type of cleaner would be marketed towards.
Replies: 37 - 46 of 56Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42