Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Please pick my vacuum for me

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
nhmatt

Please pick my vacuum for me
Original Message   Feb 14, 2010 12:36 pm
My wife and I have owned about 10 vacuums in 20 years.  The first 5 were yardsale, then a Dirt Devil, then a Hoover, then an older Electrolux which worked awesome untill it caught on fire, then a Kenmore, then another Kenmore, then I got fed up and installed central vac.  NOW WE'RE TALKIN!

Well, she made me move and central vac would ba a real pita to install and it aint gonna happen. A friend of ours gave us a Kriby G5 (yeah, she hated it so much she gave it away) but its too much of a pain because we're 50/50 hardwood+tile and rug.  We currently own another $200 Kenmore, which I don't understand why they stink so bad now because my mom had the same one for about 20 years.  Now my mom has owned a Miele for about 10 and its still good as new.  I just can get past the $1200.

Is there a huge difference between the $1200 Miele Capricorn and the $700 Miele Pisces?  What about electrolux? Our house is 3 floors and about 4000+sqft.  I want a fast vacuum.

Replies: 7 - 16 of 33Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Please pick my vacuum for me
Reply #7   Feb 14, 2010 10:13 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi,

One of the things I've learned over the the last few years is that the consumer does not always have to go along with being just a pawn on the board.  Research the thing you want to buy.  Research what it's best price is and be assertive by stating specifically what you want and what you're prepared to pay.

Personally, I'm not out to sell anyone anything.  Nonetheless, I do know that bargaining is often very possible at independent vacuum stores.  The big deal with Miele is warranty time. 

Also check out good performing Riccar and Simplicity whose canisters are made here and also come with decent warranties.

Venson

Hello Venson:

When Channel 4 news first broke the story about Tacony vacuums made in the USA in April 2009, it was claimed that the cann production would be moved from Korea/China to St. James MO plant in 6 months.  I suspect it will be a transitional conversion with cann models transferred to the state's production on a piece meal basis.  If that's true [about the 6 months], you're right.  It's been 10 months since the announcement and some of the canns should be coming off the USA production lines.  Haven't talked with the local RICCAR/SIMPLICITY dealers here yet but will and ask about the time table for USA made canns.  Thanks for bringing this up here.  I'll make a note to ask this week when I stop by my friend's store.

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Feb 14, 2010 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #8   Feb 14, 2010 11:06 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Venson:

When Channel 4 news first broke the story about Tacony vacuums made in the USA in April 2009, it was claimed that the cann production would be moved from Korea/China to St. James MO plant in 6 months.  I suspect it will be a transitional conversion with cann models transferred to the state's production on a piece meal basis.  If that's true [about the 6 months], you're right.  It's been 10 months since the announcement and some of the canns should be coming off the USA production lines.  Haven't talked with the local RICCAR/SIMPLICITY dealers here yet but will and ask about the time table for USA made canns.  Thanks for bringing this up here.  I'll make a note to ask this week when I stop by my friend's store.

Carmine D. 

Thanks Carmine,

The Riccar website says, and has been saying, "Made in America" http://www.riccar.com/ .  If this is not so then I guess it means someone has been lying to us and should be taken to task.

In any event, these days it does not matter much where a vacuum comes from as long as it works well.  Even if a vacuum is assembled in the U.S. that does not say that many its components -- tools, boards, hoses -- are not imports.

The johnny-come-latelies really need to get over baloney about saving the day by buying American -- the deal's done and was cinched about ten million Toyotas and Sony TVs ago. It's pure hypocrosy.  If you acquired a new computer, television, iPod or even a microwave in the last year or so -- where'd they come from?  Detroit?

For those of us who want to keep money in the country in some little way, there's plenty of good used and refurbed vacuums out there for those that want them.  What could be more good old American and resourceful than recycling though it won't put much of a dent in the market.

Nonetheless, other issues are also important influences in regard to buying outside this country.  Americans have always put great stock in foreign made goods albeit mostly specialty items.  For years we have looked to the Swiss for time pieces and have spent all kinds of money on German and Italian cars.  I even flew Lufthansa because a German I knew was such an anal retentive that, thinking the rest of his countrymen might be as much the same sticklers for detail,  I felt assured that nary a nut or bolt would go unchecked before take-off.

I'm particularly sensitive re the issue of revenue gained from us by other countries through the sacrifices of low paid labor.  It was quite interesting for me to learn, as an instance, of China's decision to rein in lending and that it had quite an effect on our stock market last week.  Remember back in the day when we used to lend China money? 

Whether you buy product whole or in part from Germany, China, Korea or Timbuktu, what does buying American mean now?  Nothing. The clock cannot be turned back.  Better to look for product that you feel works for you, buy it and be done with it.

Venson

Venson

Reply #9   Feb 14, 2010 11:17 pm
By the way, when you  get past the Riccar's "Made In the USA" page, the company sees things this way . . .

http://www.riccar.com/about-us/

Venson

vacmanuk

Reply #10   Feb 15, 2010 6:00 am
Sebo's K isn't ideal for everything and its a compact vacuum cleaner with a pretty small dust bag. Ideal for small flats and homes maybe but based on the capacity of your vacuum seek out an old Windsor-Sebo upright if you can find one in the U.S or any large 5 litre dust bag Miele cylinder. Miele do make the new S7 and you could get a good deal in the U.S depending on the model. Crucially go for the basic Miele S7 - I think it's called Tango in the U.S? There isn't a vast difference between the models as you can upgrade the filters as you go and the higher priced models have a headlight and a difference of variable suction controls.
CarmineD

Reply #11   Feb 15, 2010 6:41 am
Venson wrote:

I'm particularly sensitive re the issue of revenue gained from us by other countries through the sacrifices of low paid labor.  It was quite interesting for me to learn, as an instance, of China's decision to rein in lending and that it had quite an effect on our stock market last week.  Remember back in the day when we used to lend China money? 

Whether you buy product whole or in part from Germany, China, Korea or Timbuktu, what does buying American mean now?  Nothing. The clock cannot be turned back.  Better to look for product that you feel works for you, buy it and be done with it.

Venson

China is the largest buyer of US debt; aka US Treasuries.  Thomas Jefferson, founding father, said:  "...you are a slave to the person who lends you money."  True then and, based on the US stock market reaction last week, true now.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #12   Feb 15, 2010 7:02 am
vacmanuk wrote:
. . . . Crucially go for the basic Miele S7 - I think it's called Tango in the U.S? There isn't a vast difference between the models as you can upgrade the filters as you go and the higher priced models have a headlight and a difference of variable suction controls.

Hi vacmanuk,

I think you're actually referring to the Miele Salsa, the bright red Model 7280 with the dial power adjust.  The Tango, Model 7580, is a darker metallic cherry red and has the electronic speed adjustment.

The best benefit of Sebo uprights is that they can be easily dismantled to get at clogs and brush and belt maintenance are also very user friendly in manner.

Venson

HARDSELL

Reply #13   Feb 15, 2010 8:52 am
CarmineD wrote:
China is the largest buyer of US debt; aka US Treasuries.  Thomas Jefferson, founding father, said:  "...you are a slave to the person who lends you money."  True then and, based on the US stock market reaction last week, true now.

Carmine D.

The US is destined to become a slave to all countries if the current path is followed.

To me at least it does matter where a product is made.  If all goods are made outside the US where will the US citizens get the money to buy the goods?  Corporate America with it's greed is outsourcing it's manufacturing to other countries, importing them into the US and shoving it down our throat. The attitude that we should simply accept this is what they want.  If we do not rebel and quit buying these imports we are doomed to become nothing more than slaves.

Do we follow our leader and bow to those other countries while telling them how ignorant we are.

Our pres proclaimed that we will assist Haiti.  I believe we have been helping them since about 1915.

nhmatt

Reply #14   Feb 15, 2010 9:15 am
CarmineD wrote:

Carmine D.

Thomas Jefferson died with over $100,000 in unpaid debts.  He'd sold his books, his land,sacrificed his dignity to a land auction,  and in the end everything he ever owned (including people) were auctioned off.  He died with nothing.  That's why he felt like a slave, but I doubt that was much comfort to the people who ACTUALLY WERE SLAVES.  In the end he made the choice to keep good wine and parties and left his principles on the parchment.

I've got no problem buying American/German engineering from Chinese workers who are content to be paid with scraps of paper so they can buy oil that is priced with the same scraps of paper.  When you think of it, it doesn't matter where you buy it as long as you buy with American money!

HARDSELL

Reply #15   Feb 15, 2010 9:47 am
nhmatt wrote:
Thomas Jefferson died with over $100,000 in unpaid debts.  He'd sold his books, his land,sacrificed his dignity to a land auction,  and in the end everything he ever owned (including people) were auctioned off.  He died with nothing.  That's why he felt like a slave, but I doubt that was much comfort to the people who ACTUALLY WERE SLAVES.  In the end he made the choice to keep good wine and parties and left his principles on the parchment.

I've got no problem buying American/German engineering from Chinese workers who are content to be paid with scraps of paper so they can buy oil that is priced with the same scraps of paper.  When you think of it, it doesn't matter where you buy it as long as you buy with American money!

How long will American money be available.  With all the unemployment it may be gone sooner than you think. 

Looks like Thomas was speaking from experience.  Also seems he lived like today's bank execs and corporate execs. 

Venson

Reply #16   Feb 15, 2010 11:18 am
Hi guys,

I just did a quick search regarding "career opportunities" by way of some of the vacuum manufacturers we buy from that have offices here in the U.S. 

TTI has posted a total 13 job slots within its U.S. locations, Miele USA has 5 up.  Tacony offers no number of open job slots on its web page but recommends that interested parties send their resumes.  However, Tacony also says -- "Most of our positions are filled by referrals from existing associates, customers and consumers who use and enjoy our products."

Seems like awful slim pickings for companies of their size.  Then, maybe not.

Venson

Replies: 7 - 16 of 33Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42