Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Oreck XL Pro-Plus @ Costco... Now with pictures...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Acerone

Oreck XL Pro-Plus @ Costco... Now with pictures...
Original Message   Jun 24, 2009 1:30 pm
Saw today the Costco now sell the Oreck for $299 something I really didn't pay close attention just noticed a black charcoal color vacuum that everyone seem to have in the shopping cart...<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>
This message was modified Jun 30, 2009 by Acerone
Replies: 60 - 69 of 86Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Oreck XL Pro-Plus @ Costco... Now with pictures...
Reply #60   Aug 29, 2009 4:36 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

Let us know if it's a clog or dirty filters.

Venson

Hello Venson et al:

You know something's wrong with a dyson when the dirt inside the bin justs sits there and doesn't whirl around.  Several problems:  Both filters are dirty and the pre-motor filter is filthy.  The shroud holes are all clogged with fine dirt and dog hair.  I asked her to demonstarte how she empties the dirt bin.  She did.  Pops the finger tab, lid opens, out falls the dirt.  She doesn't tap the dirt bin canister edge on the trash can to loosen the cyclone dust and dirt.  This is explained in dyson's manual but she doesn't know where the manual is.  Most dyson users probably don't do this and they should get into the habit of doing it.  The human and dog hair wrap is so built up on the brush bar that the bristles are not visible.  I can see why repairs for such dysons are $20-$30 with no parts.  Probably will take about 45 minutes to complete the service.  Messy and dirty.  No work for me today and tomorrow.  This will get done on Monday and returned to her on Tuesday [free of course].

If anything else develops, I'll post it.

Carmine D.

PS:  Husband gets an F.  Wife gets an A for knowing who to call.

HARDSELL

Reply #61   Aug 29, 2009 4:57 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Venson et al:

You know something's wrong with a dyson when the dirt inside the bin justs sits there and doesn't whirl around.  Several problems:  Both filters are dirty and the pre-motor filter is filthy.  The shroud holes are all clogged with fine dirt and dog hair.  I asked her to demonstarte how she empties the dirt bin.  She did.  Pops the finger tab, lid opens, out falls the dirt.  She doesn't tap the dirt bin canister edge on the trash can to loosen the cyclone dust and dirt.  This is explained in dyson's manual but she doesn't know where the manual is.  Most dyson users probably don't do this and they should get into the habit of doing it.  The human and dog hair wrap is so built up on the brush bar that the bristles are not visible.  I can see why repairs for such dysons are $20-$30 with no parts.  Probably will take about 45 minutes to complete the service.  Messy and dirty.  No work for me today and tomorrow.  This will get done on Monday and returned to her on Tuesday [free of course].

Carmine D.

I get a lot of hair wrapped around the brush of my vacuums.  This is not exclusive to Dyson.  If I had an animal it would likely be as bad as you describe.  PS.  My wife is not an animal she simply has long hair.

Yes the canister should be tapped against the trash can to loosen the dust in the shroud. Provided it is plastic or similar type can. This applies to Hoovers also.  Still not like trying to clean a Hoover screen or pleated filter.

CarmineD

Reply #62   Aug 29, 2009 5:14 pm
HS:

Dyson brush bars on DC07 and DC14 are probably the worse for hair and rug wrap. Why?

Non-standard industry design.  The brush roll is small and the bristles are few. 

Dyson goes thru great lengths with pics and instructions to show users how to cut off

the hair and rug wrap with a pair of scizzors.  Most, regardless of hair color, don't do it.

Bagless screens are easy to brush clean/wash.  Dyson shrouds with perforated holes and cyclones

are more problematic.  Can't use water.  Have to take the time to tap the bin, loosen the caked on

dirt and blow out.  A dirty job regardless of your hair color.

Gasko was right.  Dysons need to be demoed and explained to users to work properly. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #63   Aug 29, 2009 5:20 pm
HS:

Several HOOVER models use pleated filters with teflon coatings that can be washed.

I believe these are evn available as replacements for paper pleated filters.

Most paper pleated filters are better vacuumed cleaned.  Alot less messier than tapping

and risking breakage of dirt bins/shrouds that can't be washed.  

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #64   Aug 29, 2009 5:23 pm
Of course HS you can buy a bagged vacuum, available in HOOVER models, but not dyson, that don't have

these filter issues and have cheap readily available new filter replacements for just a few dollars NOT $20-$40.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #65   Aug 29, 2009 6:08 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Of course HS you can buy a bagged vacuum, available in HOOVER models, but not dyson, that don't have

these filter issues and have cheap readily available new filter replacements for just a few dollars NOT $20-$40.

Carmine D.

The hoovers do not last long enough to need a new filter. 
CarmineD

Reply #66   Aug 29, 2009 6:11 pm
HS:

Give us proof, don't just spout off at the mouth.  The filters are carried and sold for a reason.  Not to fill the shelves at retailers for no reason.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #67   Aug 31, 2009 2:06 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Venson et al:

Carmine D.

One non-working dyson DC07 Animal + Carmine D + 45 minutes = One like new dyson

The only suggestion I will make to the owner is that she buy/replace the post motor filter which is black from carbon exhaust.  Since this is rather tricky on these early dyson models for someone unfamiliar, I'll tell her if she buys the filter, I'll replace it [free of course].

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #68   Aug 31, 2009 2:10 pm
PS:  If I were still in the vacuum business and repairing dysons, I would have replaced the brush bar rather than spend time cutting off the hair and wrap.  Not worth the time and effort.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #69   Aug 31, 2009 2:29 pm
Thanks for the update Carmine. The problems you list are quite common. As I'd mentioned prior, a cousin of mine had all the same problems. She was either left to think or was told that her bagless Dirt Devil required little or no care and did not have a clue about maintenance. She'd been using her cleaner for months with a broken belt and didn't realize it.

I'm sure you'll be giving the owner of the Dyson a crash course in maintenance. Were I you, I'd also have no qualms about letting her know the approximate cost of the work you've done had she taken the vacuum to a shop AND that it could all have been avoided by way of a few simple steps.

Best,

Venson
Replies: 60 - 69 of 86Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42