Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Oreck XL Pro-Plus @ Costco... Now with pictures...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Acerone

Oreck XL Pro-Plus @ Costco... Now with pictures...
Original Message   Jun 24, 2009 1:30 pm
Saw today the Costco now sell the Oreck for $299 something I really didn't pay close attention just noticed a black charcoal color vacuum that everyone seem to have in the shopping cart...<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>
This message was modified Jun 30, 2009 by Acerone
Replies: 67 - 76 of 86Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Oreck XL Pro-Plus @ Costco... Now with pictures...
Reply #67   Aug 31, 2009 2:06 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Venson et al:

You know something's wrong with a dyson when the dirt inside the bin justs sits there and doesn't whirl around.  Several problems:  Both filters are dirty and the pre-motor filter is filthy.  The shroud holes are all clogged with fine dirt and dog hair.  I asked her to demonstarte how she empties the dirt bin.  She did.  Pops the finger tab, lid opens, out falls the dirt.  She doesn't tap the dirt bin canister edge on the trash can to loosen the cyclone dust and dirt.  This is explained in dyson's manual but she doesn't know where the manual is.  Most dyson users probably don't do this and they should get into the habit of doing it.  The human and dog hair wrap is so built up on the brush bar that the bristles are not visible.  I can see why repairs for such dysons are $20-$30 with no parts.  Probably will take about 45 minutes to complete the service.  Messy and dirty.  No work for me today and tomorrow.  This will get done on Monday and returned to her on Tuesday [free of course].

If anything else develops, I'll post it.

Carmine D.

PS:  Husband gets an F.  Wife gets an A for knowing who to call.

One non-working dyson DC07 Animal + Carmine D + 45 minutes = One like new dyson

The only suggestion I will make to the owner is that she buy/replace the post motor filter which is black from carbon exhaust.  Since this is rather tricky on these early dyson models for someone unfamiliar, I'll tell her if she buys the filter, I'll replace it [free of course].

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #68   Aug 31, 2009 2:10 pm
PS:  If I were still in the vacuum business and repairing dysons, I would have replaced the brush bar rather than spend time cutting off the hair and wrap.  Not worth the time and effort.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #69   Aug 31, 2009 2:29 pm
Thanks for the update Carmine. The problems you list are quite common. As I'd mentioned prior, a cousin of mine had all the same problems. She was either left to think or was told that her bagless Dirt Devil required little or no care and did not have a clue about maintenance. She'd been using her cleaner for months with a broken belt and didn't realize it.

I'm sure you'll be giving the owner of the Dyson a crash course in maintenance. Were I you, I'd also have no qualms about letting her know the approximate cost of the work you've done had she taken the vacuum to a shop AND that it could all have been avoided by way of a few simple steps.

Best,

Venson
retardturtle1

Reply #70   Aug 31, 2009 3:00 pm
CarmineD wrote:
PS:  If I were still in the vacuum business and repairing dysons, I would have replaced the brush bar rather than spend time cutting off the hair and wrap.  Not worth the time and effort.

Carmine D.

HI CARMINE

Nice job on the fix...shoulda brought the tempo for her to test as you did repair........this way she sees what a deep cleaning

beast it is..and at hundreds and hundreds less....just as durable and outperforms.

turtle1

This message was modified Aug 31, 2009 by retardturtle1
CarmineD

Reply #71   Aug 31, 2009 5:58 pm
Venson wrote:
Thanks for the update Carmine. The problems you list are quite common. As I'd mentioned prior, a cousin of mine had all the same problems. She was either left to think or was told that her bagless Dirt Devil required little or no care and did not have a clue about maintenance. She'd been using her cleaner for months with a broken belt and didn't realize it.

I'm sure you'll be giving the owner of the Dyson a crash course in maintenance. Were I you, I'd also have no qualms about letting her know the approximate cost of the work you've done had she taken the vacuum to a shop AND that it could all have been avoided by way of a few simple steps.

Best,

Venson

Hi Venson:

WRT the cost of dyson repair from a vacuum store, I would estimate, and maybe others here currently in the business, can revise/correct:

Assuming $20-$35 for the service, $30 for the brush bar, and $40 for the post motor filter the grand total is $90-$105

If you let the old brush bar remain, it's $60-$75. 

All in all, not too expensive for a 4 year old dyson repair with the caveat if my parts prices are accurate.  Keep in mind, even with the 5 year limited warranty, the above maintenance and costs still stand.  Here's where misinformed dyson buyers get irate.  Many buy assuming these costs will not be incurred for 5 years and are unpleasantly surprised when told otherwise.  Of course, belt/clutch on DC07 and DC14 are the big ticket problems and could bust the bank in concert with the usual maintenance costs. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #72   Aug 31, 2009 6:02 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
HI CARMINE

Nice job on the fix...shoulda brought the tempo for her to test as you did repair........this way she sees what a deep cleaning

beast it is..and at hundreds and hundreds less....just as durable and outperforms.

turtle1

Hello 'turtle1'

I offered and she declined because I said I'd return the dyson on tuesday [tomorrow].  But I did let her run the TEMPO over her rugs in a few high traffic areas.  She was astounded.  Keep in mind the hair and rug wrap on the dyson DC07 with the lack of suction rendered it non-performing.  So any vacuum but most especially a HOOVER TEMPO easily restores the rugs to new life.

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #73   Aug 31, 2009 7:46 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:

WRT the cost of dyson repair from a vacuum store, I would estimate, and maybe others here currently in the business, can revise/correct:

Assuming $20-$35 for the service, $30 for the brush bar, and $40 for the post motor filter the grand total is $90-$105

If you let the old brush bar remain, it's $60-$75. 

All in all, not too expensive for a 4 year old dyson repair with the caveat if my parts prices are accurate.  Keep in mind, even with the 5 year limited warranty, the above maintenance and costs still stand.  Here's where misinformed dyson buyers get irate.  Many buy assuming these costs will not be incurred for 5 years and are unpleasantly surprised when told otherwise.  Of course, belt/clutch on DC07 and DC14 are the big ticket problems and could bust the bank in concert with the usual maintenance costs. 

Carmine D.

HI CARMINE

Ran into same problems with customers going by what dyson said/or didnt say...thought all was covered and no filters to clean

or replace.....got to point where everybody /dealers stopped messing with dyson s due to all the hassles and dyson run around.

.poor cust service ..lack of payment / no pick ups.....couldnt move them ...so all was brought to an end......felt bad for the customers.

.....spent all that money and for what?......

turtle1

This message was modified Aug 31, 2009 by retardturtle1
CarmineD

Reply #74   Sep 1, 2009 6:47 am
retardturtle1 wrote:
HI CARMINE

Ran into same problems with customers going by what dyson said/or didnt say...thought all was covered and no filters to clean

or replace.....got to point where everybody /dealers stopped messing with dyson s due to all the hassles and dyson run around.

.poor cust service ..lack of payment / no pick ups.....couldnt move them ...so all was brought to an end......felt bad for the customers.

.....spent all that money and for what?......

turtle1

Hello 'turtle1'

Exactly.  Hence the reason indies are the best venue for dyson sales.  Users need to be educated with dyson vacuums and the best techniques for using and caring for them.  When they buy from a big box retailer, they are buying a cat in the bag, unseen.  Whether they do it [use properly] or not is on them.  But if they don't, and were advised, then they can't use the dyson hype as an escape.  Gasko was right when he siad this.  James was wrong when he didn't listen.  In time, as dyson sales wane and they are James will cut a deal with the indies to sell his vacuum products.  The question is will it be too late? 

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #75   Sep 1, 2009 9:28 am
Hi Carmine,

Why would any self respecting INDY want to bail out dyson now after they got stuck the first time[WHEN THINGS WERE GOOD THEY DID NOT NEED THE INDYS] remember

The day will come when the indys will start dictating their policys to dyson.

Such as ill sell your vacuums only when the customer wants it and understands how medicre and underperforming and overpriced it really is.

Dyson set their own trap and got caught not by the tail but by the neck.I wish them luck they are going to need it.

Now do you know why GASKO bailed""""""""

regards

MOLE

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #76   Sep 1, 2009 12:14 pm
mole wrote:
Hi Carmine,

Why would any self respecting INDY want to bail out dyson now after they got stuck the first time[WHEN THINGS WERE GOOD THEY DID NOT NEED THE INDYS] remember

The day will come when the indys will start dictating their policys to dyson.

Such as ill sell your vacuums only when the customer wants it and understands how medicre and underperforming and overpriced it really is.

Dyson set their own trap and got caught not by the tail but by the neck.I wish them luck they are going to need it.

Now do you know why GASKO bailed""""""""

regards

MOLE

I certainly can't speak for Tom Gasko, but it would seem that he had a once in a life time opportunity to be the curator of a vacuum cleaner museum.  He donated his vacuum collection to the museum if I read correctly.  Rather than dealing with buying/selling/repairing, he got to do what he really loves.  I hope he is successful. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 67 - 76 of 86Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42