Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Garry Ultra Light Upright Vacuum

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
CarmineD

Garry Ultra Light Upright Vacuum
Original Message   Jun 4, 2009 1:02 pm
New lightweight with OBT in town for $250 with free bags for life and zero cost maintenance warranty for life.  Anything goes wrong, a new vacuun is shipped to you.  

http://www.garryvac.com/

Taking a page from ORECK on the giveaways:  Free Steam Mop to keep if not satisfied with purchase and returned.

https://www.garryvacuum.com/order_form.html?country=CA

Comments?

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 4, 2009 by CarmineD
Replies: 24 - 33 of 96Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DysonInventsBig

Re: Garry Ultra Light Upright Vacuum
Reply #24   Jun 13, 2009 10:39 am
Carmine,

By what relations...  who is she?

Thanks,
DIB

Venson

Reply #25   Jun 13, 2009 11:15 am
cjnyusa wrote:
. . . It will be interesting to see if (in time) this product receives any decent reviews from "real consumers" but until then I have serious doubts about this product and it's provenance as a real quality product.

Hi cjnyusa,

The whole deal here is that the public is being yet again titilated with another "opportunity" to get something for nothing -- or in this case, allegedly a lot by way of lesser price. I have a great love of fantasy-type movies but can't afford myself the indulgence in the real world.

There are those prepared to make do off cheap buys and there are those who hold off on buying until they can purchase what they perceive as something "good". Something like a trade-offs made daily on HSN for a cubic zurconium over a diamond. However, what ranks as a real diamond is sometimes not easy to tell in regard to vacuums.

This just me but if somone were to walk up to me and say, "Just give me 200 buck and I'll give ya and give ya and give ya . . ." I'd be highly skeptical. First if you offer me a vacuum for $200.00 and then tell me that no matter what happens you'll replace it and keep on replacing it for life, my first thought is that it probably only cost you all of 15 bucks to make it in the first place. AND -- if I estimate the actual cost of manufacture being that low, why would I pay you 200 bucks?

The Garry is nothing new. Though the big kid is Oreck, there are at least half a dozen other low-watt draw lightwieght uprights besides the Garry with large disposable bags on the market. They all offer uncomplicated abbreviated air paths, a good thing, and all are more or less noisy no matter how much you pay for one, not good thing.

Garry offers a lot but there is no guarantee how long the company will be in existence. It being that the intenet has actually changed our world by lessening the cost of the exposure ideas, opinions and product, I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more of the same everywhere and for everything. As I posted earlier, if budget concerns were a real issue (and they are) I'd spring for a 99-buck Halo and make do for the next few years. Even if the machine fails in a year's time only a hundred bucks and sales tax has been lost.

Vacuums run the gamut from the overrated and expensive to the cheap toss-away but the best bets are those that fall at the "happy medium" mark.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #26   Jun 14, 2009 7:19 am
Venson wrote:

The Garry is nothing new. Though the big kid is Oreck, there are at least half a dozen other low-watt draw lightwieght uprights besides the Garry with large disposable bags on the market. They all offer uncomplicated abbreviated air paths, a good thing, and all are more or less noisy no matter how much you pay for one, not good thing.

Venson

Hello Venson:

I excerpted this comment from your post.  Surprisingly none of the lightweights, even ORECK, offer the tools on board like Garry.  I opined due to the small motor these direct suction fan first models utilize.  The small motors don't deliver enough umph for tool suction cleaning.  But, I have to verify that by actual usage with the Garry.  ORECK should have a G-vac in their stores to show propective buyers who ask about the G-vac the differences.   Perhaps the ORECK stores will.  Have to wait and see.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #27   Jun 14, 2009 8:56 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Venson:

I excerpted this comment from your post.  Surprisingly none of the lightweights, even ORECK, offer the tools on board like Garry.  I opined due to the small motor these direct suction fan first models utilize.  The small motors don't deliver enough umph for tool suction cleaning.  But, I have to verify that by actual usage with the Garry.  ORECK should have a G-vac in their stores to show propective buyers who ask about the G-vac the differences.   Perhaps the ORECK stores will.  Have to wait and see.

Carmine D.

Howdy Carmine,

My gut feeling is that Oreck needn't bother . . .

I am well aware of the Garry's tools but decided not even to bother pursuing what I see as so very much a non-issue in this case. My opinion is basically the same as yours -- the tools are doo-dads of little value. Thus, no miracle expected -- no miracle found. Oreck probably stands all that much the wiser for not bothering to add a tool set to its uprights. The company has its fans as is so why muck up a thus far perfectly good relationship with happy campers?

A few days back, I had to make a run into town to Lincoln Center. I decided to get off one station past my stop so I might learn if Oreck still had its "Clean Home Center" at 2003 Broadway. To my surprise the store is still there, great big window and all, and there was a customer or two inside. The uprights and the little portable schmutz collector were of course on hand but there was also a heater of some sort and the air cleaner on display. Broadway is pretty expensive and prized real estate even these days and by that at least I am impressed. However nothing much else drew my attention.

Online Oreck has been busy nonetheless. The company seems to have adopted a small bagless (pleated filter) canister vac formerly under the McColloch brand and renamed it the Oreck XL Little Hero Canister Vacuum Cleaner. The price is about a $170.00. This is now the least-priced small can vac on the Oreck roster. The little "Iron Man" portable, formerly sold by Sears way, way back, lists at $299.00. No comment on my part here except to say, it's nice work if you can get it.

http://www.oreck.com/canister-vacuum-cleaners/little-hero.cfm

Best,

Venson
retardturtle1

Reply #28   Jun 14, 2009 12:06 pm
Venson wrote:
Howdy Carmine,

My gut feeling is that Oreck needn't bother . . .

I am well aware of the Garry's tools but decided not even to bother pursuing what I see as so very much a non-issue in this case. My opinion is basically the same as yours -- the tools are doo-dads of little value. Thus, no miracle expected -- no miracle found. Oreck probably stands all that much the wiser for not bothering to add a tool set to its uprights. The company has its fans as is so why muck up a thus far perfectly good relationship with happy campers?

A few days back, I had to make a run into town to Lincoln Center. I decided to get off one station past my stop so I might learn if Oreck still had its "Clean Home Center" at 2003 Broadway. To my surprise the store is still there, great big window and all, and there was a customer or two inside. The uprights and the little portable schmutz collector were of course on hand but there was also a heater of some sort and the air cleaner on display. Broadway is pretty expensive and prized real estate even these days and by that at least I am impressed. However nothing much else drew my attention.

Online Oreck has been busy nonetheless. The company seems to have adopted a small bagless (pleated filter) canister vac formerly under the McColloch brand and renamed it the Oreck XL Little Hero Canister Vacuum Cleaner. The price is about a $170.00. This is now the least-priced small can vac on the Oreck roster. The little "Iron Man" portable, formerly sold by Sears way, way back, lists at $299.00. No comment on my part here except to say, it's nice work if you can get it.

http://www.oreck.com/canister-vacuum-cleaners/little-hero.cfm

Best,

Venson

hi venson

it seems with the g-vac xposed ...the only real threat i see to oreck is the riccar rsl series....and ive yet to see a direct air motor with tool suction worth a flip....that bagless can looks one of those royals that was sent to the shop for free.....we had it abt 2 weeks for around the shop use then..caput!...but i never really thought oreck would waste time on a bagless..or stand by one ...just seems outside the box for a company that makes really good vacuums...bagged vacuums.

Venson

Reply #29   Jun 14, 2009 2:08 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
hi venson</p><p>it seems with the g-vac xposed ...the only real threat i see to oreck is the riccar rsl series....and ive yet to see a direct air motor with tool suction worth a flip....that bagless can looks one of those royals that was sent to the shop for free.....we had it abt 2 weeks for around the shop use then..caput!...but i never really thought oreck would waste time on a bagless..or stand by one ...just seems outside the box for a company that makes really good vacuums...bagged vacuums.

Hi retardturtle1,

I do not see the Garry vac as being "exposed" but simply see it for what it is -- a cheap deal. You're buying into a machine supposedly as good as the expensive brand that many people feel is "it". You're also buying into a lot of promises regarding repair and endless disposable bag supply.

This is not an uncommon possibility as American enterprise, like air, abhors a vacuum. If it can't hook you into buying by way of inflated price and/or snob appeal it's more than willing and adept at doing an about face to feign empathy for the shopper with a challenged budget. Why do you think "Deluxe," "Standard" and "Economy" models have been made available for just about every device sold here all these years?

We are probably one of the few countries in the world where even the poorest among us can easily anticipate the purchase of a color TV. Why? 'Cause there's always a guy around to make sure their dough as does not get passed by. Albeit not as quickly, the nickels and dimes add up the same as folding money does.

As for Oreck, it is not the first company to acquire outsourced models to beef up its line. However, what is curious to me is how short the public memory is. The Oreck "Hero Vac" could be had for around 60 bucks a couple of years back under other names. What's to be discovered here is whether the same machine will sell any better with a new name and a higher price.

As mentioned prior by good friend MOLE, the general public is not worried over cyclones and all that stuff. They just want to feel assured that the vac they buy will operate well and without problem. Nonetheless, "bagless" does ring a bell because it implies there's less or maybe no money to be spent on maintenance. The "Hero Vac" -- somebody correct me if I'm wrong -- will be Oreck's first venture regarding bagless product. I assume the idea is to see whether it flies before they venture ahead. Here's a link to a similar model out of China:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/217516828/J302_Vacuum_Cleaner/showimage.html

Venson
retardturtle1

Reply #30   Jun 14, 2009 4:26 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi retardturtle1,

I do not see the Garry vac as being "exposed" but simply see it for what it is -- a cheap deal. You're buying into a machine supposedly as good as the expensive brand that many people feel is "it". You're also buying into a lot of promises regarding repair and endless disposable bag supply.

This is not an uncommon possibility as American enterprise, like air, abhors a vacuum. If it can't hook you into buying by way of inflated price and/or snob appeal it's more than willing and adept at doing an about face to feign empathy for the shopper with a challenged budget. Why do you think "Deluxe," "Standard" and "Economy" models have been made available for just about every device sold here all these years?

We are probably one of the few countries in the world where even the poorest among us can easily anticipate the purchase of a color TV. Why? 'Cause there's always a guy around to make sure their dough as does not get passed by. Albeit not as quickly, the nickels and dimes add up the same as folding money does.

As for Oreck, it is not the first company to acquire outsourced models to beef up its line. However, what is curious to me is how short the public memory is. The Oreck "Hero Vac" could be had for around 60 bucks a couple of years back under other names. What's to be discovered here is whether the same machine will sell any better with a new name and a higher price.

As mentioned prior by good friend MOLE, the general public is not worried over cyclones and all that stuff. They just want to feel assured that the vac they buy will operate well and without problem. Nonetheless, "bagless" does ring a bell because it implies there's less or maybe no money to be spent on maintenance. The "Hero Vac" -- somebody correct me if I'm wrong -- will be Oreck's first venture regarding bagless product. I assume the idea is to see whether it flies before they venture ahead. Here's a link to a similar model out of China:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/217516828/J302_Vacuum_Cleaner/showimage.html

Venson

HI VENSON

i always saw ORECK as a  easy to work on simple to use low maint very durable type of vacuum ...im aware they have outsourced some vacs...not sure witch ones....as we dont get them in often for repairs...just a full service clean up most of the time...but here lately ive seen quite a few in for lock-ups--- bearing failure..heat? been curious tho. ..and for ORECK to go into bagless area  with  the higher  maint,,far less reliable problematic system ....instead of  a bagless can -why not lower  the price of your  already awsome line-up and put the ORECK   in reach of those that couldnt normally afford a new one and increase sales in that once unreachable[bad credit-cash and carry loyal to thier product] market....beefing up the lower end..so to speak. and its a very large market.....they know the ORECK name and quality...and want it ....just out of reach tho.

Venson

Reply #31   Jun 14, 2009 4:50 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
HI VENSON</p><p>i always saw ORECK as a  easy to work on simple to use low maint very durable type of vacuum ...im aware they have outsourced some vacs...not sure witch ones....

Hi retardturtle1,

The large and mid-size Dutch-Tech" bagged canisters which use Wessel Werks PNs are from Philips, a European manufacturer that made household vacuums for quite some time and then left off. The "Iron Man" -- origin unknown to me -- is a vacuum that Sears sold as far back as the late 1960s. I can't quote the exact time but it disappeared for a time and then reappeared under the Oreck name.

By the way, the "Steam-It" can now be found at the Oreck website -- http://www.oreck.com

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #32   Jun 15, 2009 6:54 am
Venson wrote:

By the way, the "Steam-It" can now be found at the Oreck website -- http://www.oreck.com

Venson

Thanks Venson for the post.  Here's the info.

Steam-It

the all-purpose steamwand

It's never been so easy to get Oreck Clean.

The New Oreck Steam-It uses pressurized, "dry" steam to naturally disinfect and melt away dirt & grime. Unlike many conventional steam mops, the Oreck Steam-It has a unique, pressurized vapor chamber making it easy to clean above the floor without spilling. It’s the easy, eco-friendly way to clean without the use of toxic chemicals or detergents.

Features:

• Pressurized super-dry steam heats in under 30 seconds. And dry steam means no damp mess!
  • Works upside-down without spillage for above the floor cleaning.
  • Lightweight with fingertip controls and 16-ft. cord make it incredibly easy to use.
  • Deep cleans without chemicals- It attacks many germs and bacteria, using ordinary tap water.
  • Can be used on most flooring surfaces including marble, ceramic, stone, vinyl, laminate, linoleum and sealed hardwood floors.
  • Reusable, machine washable microfiber pads means there are no expensive replacement pads to buy.
  • 1-year warranty.

With six attachments, you’re sure to
cover nearly every inch of your home.

Clean Drapes

Clean Drapes from top to bottom and reach crown moldings and ceiling fans.

Clean upholstery

Target tough upholstery stains and freshen pillows and mattresses.

Clean Floors

Perfect for cleaning carpets, rugs and almost on any hard floor surface.

Clean Appliances

Clean Kitchen and bathroom counters, sinks and appliances.

Clean Tile

Remove grout stains, and soap scum from tough-to-clean tile.

Clean Windows

Clean windows with no spots or streaks.

Ready in thirty seconds Just add water, turn the Steam-It on, and it heats up in 30 seconds – creating a high-temperature, low-moisture dry steam that quickly removes dirt and rejuvenates flattened carpet, deep cleans virtually any hard floor surface, and reduces bacteria and germs. It also cleans windows spot-free, naturally disinfects kitchen and bath surfaces, tile and grout, removes tough stains from furniture and car upholstery, and even freshens pillows and mattresses. And surfaces are dry within minutes!

Including these extras Includes 2 washable microfiber towels, a bonnet, universal cleaning clips and 6 attachments.

The Steam-It is quiet and portable, reaches anywhere (even ceiling fans, cabinets and light fixtures), and can even be turned upside down without spillage. There are no expensive replacement cleaning pads to buy, either, because the Steam-It comes with two washable microfiber towels and a bonnet. And only the Steam-It has universal cleaning clips that let you use your own household towels to save money. It comes with a 6-piece attachment kit, a 1-year warranty, and is tough enough for everyday use. The New Oreck Steam-It: a safe, easy, all-natural, and cost-effective way to clean your home.

The New Oreck Steam-it Wand

Try it Risk-Free for 30 Days!

Price:
$169.95
Shipping:
Free!

Frequently asked Questions

• What is Steam Cleaning?

Steam cleaning is the latest cleaning technology available that provides deep penetrating cleaning ability without the dependant use of chemical additives.
  • How does steam clean?

It’s very simple really. Dirt and grime have adhesive qualities that enable them to stick onto all types of surfaces. The heat of the steam melts the adhesive and the dampness of the steam dilutes the adhesive. A wipe with a cloth quickly clears the dirt or grime away.
  • What are the benefits of steam cleaning?

Steam is a natural source using just clean water to create a powerful cleaning force. The absence of potentially harmful and expensive chemicals makes it an extremely easy, safe and cost effective way to clean your home. Steam leaves no toxic residues on surfaces and won’t stain clothing. Steam reduces well known bacteria such as e-coli, staph, and salmonella. And using only water means it's environmentally friendly.
  • What is Steam-It?

A Steam-It “All Purpose Steam Wand” may look like a vacuum – it is not. It is not the conventional "steam" cleaner nor is it a pressure washer. It is a new appliance that uses only a little water and a little electricity to clean virtually any surface – without using chemicals. The Steam-It is also quiet and portable so it can be used anywhere at anytime.
  • How does it work?

Using less than one liter of tap water, the multi-purpose Steam-It creates a low moisture vapor that carries heat to the surface you wish to treat. The heat combined with light agitation does the work for you. Steam-It comes with a variety of accessories creating a system that can be used on an unlimited number of applications.
  • What is "Dry" Steam?

An oxymoron? Perhaps. This describes a system that produces a high temperature, low moisture vapor. The vapor contains only 5% to 6% water and is much less dense than the air we breathe. It is mess free with temperatures hot enough to reduce bacteria and germs, emulsify grease and oil as well as other surface contaminates.
  • What can I use it on?

Besides the obvious steam mop activities such as cleaning tile floors, linoleum, and sealed hardwood the Steam-It can be used in hundreds of ways! From basic kitchen cleaning to golf club cleaning and everywhere in between. It has many uses around the home including bathroom tile/grout, upholstery, and carpet. It is excellent on floor surfaces for a deep down clean without chemicals. Additionally, the Steam-It can be used to defrost freezers and thaw frozen pipes.
  • Is there anything that I shouldn't clean with Steam-It?

The Steam-It is practical for any surface with the exception of those surfaces that are extremely heat sensitive. We recommend NOT using it on fine silks, delicate materials such as velour, some very thin plastics, unsealed hardwood, and exterior paint of automobiles, electronics or items using electricity. If ever in doubt, test a small hidden area before beginning extensive cleaning.
  • Can I use a Steam-It to clean wood floors?

We strongly suggest that you check the use and care instructions of your wood flooring manufacturer before using Steam-It or any steam cleaner. Do NOT use a steam cleaner on any unsealed flooring. Use of steam on an unsealed surface can cause warping and other damage to the finish on floors. We strongly suggest testing the Steam-It on an isolated inconspicuous area of your wood floor (in a corner or inside a closet if available) prior to overall use on any floor surface.
  • Where does the water go?

The water is put into a special tank that heats the water and changes it into a hot "dry" mist or vapor. The unique benefit of this system is that it produces low moisture, and high temperature vapor that carries only about 6% (six percent) water. We like to call this a "Dry" Steam Vapor because so little water is left behind and so little is used. Carpets are dry within minutes. Floors are also dry within a few minutes. This reduces the time and effort required for many tasks.
  • Where does the dirt go?

The final destination of the dirt depends largely upon which tool you use to clean a surface and also the capability of the vapor steam cleaner you are using.
    For example, if you were using the mop attachment with a micro-fiber cloth, the vapor would pass through the head making the cloth moist. The moist cloth would then absorb everything that was removed during the cleaning process. When using tools without an absorption cloth, you would simply remove any excess moisture from the cleaned surface with a terry cloth or other cleaning towel.
  • Can I use regular tap water in my steam cleaner?

Regular tap water can be used, however, be aware that if the water in your area is considered 'hard', mineral deposits can be left inside the tank. Mineral deposits built up over time will limit the amount of steam that can be released. Please be aware that malfunction caused by mineral build up is not covered under warranty. For this reason we suggest using filtered or even distilled water. Steam-It comes with two unique tools to clean out mineral deposits and disassembles easily. Please see the User’s Manual for further instruction.
  • Do I have to put chemicals in the Steam-It?

No. The wonderful thing about steam cleaning technology is the fact that only water is used for incredible cleaning results. You do not have to add any chemicals inside the Steam-It to see considerable cleaning results.

• How long does it take to heat up and produce steam?

In 30 seconds, the Oreck Steam-It is ready for use. Other steam cleaners can take up to 15 minutes before they have sufficient steam for operation.

• How much pressure does it produce?

The Steam-It produces only low pressure, usually in the range of 50 to 60 PSI. The low pressure creates a very safe and easy to use system. The work is done by the heat concentrated at the desired cleaning surface. The heat dissipates quickly once the vapor expands into the atmosphere.
  • Why don’t I just scrub away with soap and a sponge?

Our existing cleaning regimen consists of applying a chemical or abrasive cleaner, then wiping or scrubbing the surface until the contaminant appears to be removed. This method is superficial at best, requires physical effort, often degrades the surface, exposes our skin and lungs to harsh or toxic fumes and leaves behind chemical residue which dull and attract dirt to the finished surface. The Steam-It removes surface contaminants without degrading the surface. The heat combined with very fine water particles penetrates even the pores – whatever the surface. This proven process thoroughly removes contaminants plus leaves the surface free of residue.
  • What does the Steam-It weigh?

With floor appliance and water: 9.40 lbs
    With floor appliance no water: 6.95 lbs
    Floor appliance: 1.30 lbs
  • How long is the Steam-It cord?

16 ft.
  • What is the Oreck Steam-It Warranty?

1 year

CarmineD

Reply #33   Jun 22, 2009 2:36 pm
The Steam It has not been received at my local ORECK store, making it several weeks overdue.  I'm on the list for a call as soon as it is available in the store.

BTW, the ORECK staff were totally unaware of the Garry Vac.  Caught them by surprise.  THese are person that have been in the vacuum business for almost 2 decades.  A scope of the web site had them amused.  Both saying that the site mirrored ORECK's own web site.  The store I was busy while I was there.  ORECK'S are selling and being brought in for repair and parts.  At least in this ORECK store. 

Carmine D.

Replies: 24 - 33 of 96Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42