Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Garry Ultra Light Upright Vacuum

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
CarmineD

Garry Ultra Light Upright Vacuum
Original Message   Jun 4, 2009 1:02 pm
New lightweight with OBT in town for $250 with free bags for life and zero cost maintenance warranty for life.  Anything goes wrong, a new vacuun is shipped to you.  

http://www.garryvac.com/

Taking a page from ORECK on the giveaways:  Free Steam Mop to keep if not satisfied with purchase and returned.

https://www.garryvacuum.com/order_form.html?country=CA

Comments?

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 4, 2009 by CarmineD
Replies: 1 - 96 of 96View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Garry Ultra Light Upright Vacuum
Reply #1   Jun 4, 2009 1:07 pm
Here's the Owner Manual

http://www.garryvac.com/images/Garry_Instr_Manual.pdf

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #2   Jun 4, 2009 1:11 pm
Here's what's been said by consumers on the Consumer Reports Site:

http://discussions.consumerreports.org/n/pfx/forum.aspx?msg=144.1&nav=messages&webtag=cr-vaccuums

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #3   Jun 4, 2009 2:07 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Here's what's been said by consumers on the Consumer Reports Site:

http://discussions.consumerreports.org/n/pfx/forum.aspx?msg=144.1&nav=messages&webtag=cr-vaccuums

Carmine D.

hi carmine
well i gotta say i like the look....makes you wonder if its an oreck?...or is  it an oreck body with an ametek motor....a couple weeks ago i searched the web a little bit to see if i could dig up some other info on the g-vac....but found nothing.....mabye one will come in the shop and then i can check it out closer.....so tell me mr.carmine....what are your thoughts and or findings?
Venson

Reply #4   Jun 4, 2009 2:58 pm
Hi Carmine,

They've reduced the price to $200 (4 x $49.95) but the devil's in the details. Shipping for the vac is $40.00 which I think is excessive for a 9 lb. machine that should weigh no more than 12 or 13 lbs. after its crated up for UPS. The steam mop is "free" but they want an additional $30.00 to ship that. I can only assume that the $70.00 for shipping is inflated to cover the free bags that they say they'll provide.

A consistent point raised in the consumer reviews was the high noise factor. Personally, I'd go with your original idea for a low-cost upright and look around for one of the original Halos for a hundred bucks or less. Forgetting the UV thing, it is also lightweight and has onboard attachments too.

Best,

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #5   Jun 4, 2009 4:40 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
hi carmine
well i gotta say i like the look....makes you wonder if its an oreck?...or is  it an oreck body with an ametek motor....a couple weeks ago i searched the web a little bit to see if i could dig up some other info on the g-vac....but found nothing.....mabye one will come in the shop and then i can check it out closer.....so tell me mr.carmine....what are your thoughts and or findings?

Hello retardturtle1:

No direct findings yet.  Serious doubts about the tool suction.  Small motors like this, while good for direct drive uprights on carpets, lack the umph for tool suction.  Interesting marketing techniques.  Going after the ORECK market which we noted was better than other brands in last year's consumer spending slump.  Garry thinks it can compete against ORECK.  But with only months in the business, vice ORECK's half century, I have my doubts there too.  Looks cheaper and less durable than the ORECK-s.  Tho I would like to be proved wrong if I am.  Have to test one out up close and personal.  And I will certainly discuss the Garry with ORECK when I get the call for the Steam It!

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #6   Jun 4, 2009 4:43 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

They've reduced the price to $200 (4 x $49.95) but the devil's in the details. Shipping for the vac is $40.00 which I think is excessive for a 9 lb. machine that should weigh no more than 12 or 13 lbs. after its crated up for UPS. The steam mop is "free" but they want an additional $30.00 to ship that. I can only assume that the $70.00 for shipping is inflated to cover the free bags that they say they'll provide.

A consistent point raised in the consumer reviews was the high noise factor. Personally, I'd go with your original idea for a low-cost upright and look around for one of the original Halos for a hundred bucks or less. Forgetting the UV thing, it is also lightweight and has onboard attachments too.

Best,

Venson

Hi Venson:

Excellent observations.  Must agree with you.  The concept of tools on board if they work well should be enough to compete well with ORECK and RICCAR/Simplicity.  My hunch is that the tool suction is poor and just a sales gimmick to trump the others.  Have to wait and see what gives.  Halo is still the winner as you said at $99.

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #7   Jun 4, 2009 8:09 pm
hi carmineCarmineD wrote:
Hello retardturtle1:

No direct findings yet.  Serious doubts about the tool suction.  Small motors like this, while good for direct drive uprights on carpets, lack the umph for tool suction.  Interesting marketing techniques.  Going after the ORECK market which we noted was better than other brands in last year's consumer spending slump.  Garry thinks it can compete against ORECK.  But with only months in the business, vice ORECK's half century, I have my doubts there too.  Looks cheaper and less durable than the ORECK-s.  Tho I would like to be proved wrong if I am.  Have to test one out up close and personal.  And I will certainly discuss the Garry with ORECK when I get the call for the Steam It!

Carmine D.

looking forward to getting the lowdown on the g-vac......but if i was gonna spend that kinda money ..id add 30 bucks to it and get that hoover anniv. platinum  combo...you know the one...at SEARS 14.99.....heard nothing but great things from people that own them...and i gotta say the g-vac does look like the platinum oreck...really nice and a loud vac never really bothered me as long as it did a really good job...i like the orecks,,,does what i need it to do.....just not quietly..hahahaha
dusty

Reply #8   Jun 5, 2009 12:12 am
CarmineD

Reply #9   Jun 5, 2009 7:16 am
Good commercial!  Thnaks for posting the link, Dusty.

CArmine D.

Venson

Reply #10   Jun 5, 2009 7:52 am
Thanks Dusty. I got a grin out if it as I was surprised that other brand names were actually called out. Most of the biggies use a more round-about approach.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #11   Jun 5, 2009 8:46 am
Venson wrote:
Thanks Dusty. I got a grin out if it as I was surprised that other brand names were actually called out. Most of the biggies use a more round-about approach.

Venson

Dusty, Venson et al:

I understand the very same Garry Vacuum commercial is used here in the USA too.  Have a strange feeling that a few of the former ORECK employees with inside information who didn't make the move with ORECK to Tennessee after the New Orleans Headquarters was hit by Katrina, decided to join forces and go solo.  They got some money backers and are trying their hand at the vacuum market.  Just a hunch.

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #12   Jun 5, 2009 2:24 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Dusty, Venson et al:

I understand the very same Garry Vacuum commercial is used here in the USA too.  Have a strange feeling that a few of the former ORECK employees with inside information who didn't make the move with ORECK to Tennessee after the New Orleans Headquarters was hit by Katrina, decided to join forces and go solo.  They got some money backers and are trying their hand at the vacuum market.  Just a hunch.

Carmine D.

hi carmine

it does make you wonder tho....i mean...if they could match orecks quality with a motor that lasts about 5-10 years or so with better performance at a fraction of the cost...then i would say it might just dip into oreck and riccars sales....might even get oreck to realize there vacs are pretty steep in price....i really like them and would recomend them to anyone ....just hard to overlook the price.
CarmineD

Reply #13   Jun 5, 2009 7:27 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
hi carmine

it does make you wonder tho....i mean...if they could match orecks quality with a motor that lasts about 5-10 years or so with better performance at a fraction of the cost...then i would say it might just dip into oreck and riccars sales....might even get oreck to realize there vacs are pretty steep in price....i really like them and would recomend them to anyone ....just hard to overlook the price.

Hello retardturtle1:

High price, especially in the current economic times, is a buyers' turn off and excellent point as you say to deter one's recommendation of ORECK to others.  I noticed that ORECK is more inclined to sell their XL Classic uprights solo [w/o giveawys] to public on advertised sales for $199-$225.   Certainly, the Garry vacuum may force ORECK's hand to do so more frequently than just MOTHER's Day and Memorial Day sales.  Have to wait and see if the Garry really is a sales threat to ORECK or just a flash in the pan that will fade away long before the 5 year zero dollar maintenance. 

Having just learned about this vacuum, I didn't have the benefit to discuss Garry vacuum with ORECK this past week during my visit.  I'm on the list for the Steam It which is due in this week, and Garry will be on the agenda for discussion.  I'm curious to learn if my hunch about the former ORECK insiders going solo is the case for the Garry creation.

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #14   Jun 6, 2009 3:37 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello retardturtle1:

High price, especially in the current economic times, is a buyers' turn off and excellent point as you say to deter one's recommendation of ORECK to others.  I noticed that ORECK is more inclined to sell their XL Classic uprights solo [w/o giveawys] to public on advertised sales for $199-$225.   Certainly, the Garry vacuum may force ORECK's hand to do so more frequently than just MOTHER's Day and Memorial Day sales.  Have to wait and see if the Garry really is a sales threat to ORECK or just a flash in the pan that will fade away long before the 5 year zero dollar maintenance. 

Having just learned about this vacuum, I didn't have the benefit to discuss Garry vacuum with ORECK this past week during my visit.  I'm on the list for the Steam It which is due in this week, and Garry will be on the agenda for discussion.  I'm curious to learn if my hunch about the former ORECK insiders going solo is the case for the Garry creation.

Carmine D.

hi carmine
i gotta say im looking forward to your meeting.....and even if the g-vac turns out to be a  really good  product all around,,,its gonna take at least 5 years to prove itself  in terms of quality...reliability. performance, what oreck already has...but from a price standpoint  if the g-vac/oreck /hoover bagged pltm/riccar rsl/..all went for $225 i do believe it would really shake things up and show the consumer who really makes the best  all around  product on the market at that price point...in terms of looks id say the bagged hvr pltm is the winner...... either way  you go youll be getting a very  good,,lite-wgt ,bagged, 10+ years of service vacuum for $225= outstanding.
CarmineD

Reply #15   Jun 6, 2009 6:20 am
retardturtle1 wrote:
hi carmine
i gotta say im looking forward to your meeting.....and even if the g-vac turns out to be a  really good  product all around,,,its gonna take at least 5 years to prove itself  in terms of quality...reliability. performance, what oreck already has...but from a price standpoint  if the g-vac/oreck /hoover bagged pltm/riccar rsl/..all went for $225 i do believe it would really shake things up and show the consumer who really makes the best  all around  product on the market at that price point...in terms of looks id say the bagged hvr pltm is the winner...... either way  you go youll be getting a very  good,,lite-wgt ,bagged, 10+ years of service vacuum for $225= outstanding.

Hello retardturtle1:

An interesting post script to the Garry vacuum, the ORECK Memorial Day Sale with the latest XL Silver Series upright with headlight and 3 year warranty for $225 [solo w/o the giveaways] has been extended by ORECK.  With the limitation of one per customer.  Have like competition.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #16   Jun 6, 2009 8:06 am
A post script to the post script:  The ORECK Memorial Day sale on the XL Silver is extended for selected ORECK store locations throughout the US.  These will be advertised in local newspapers.  The sale is not extended to the ORECK internet Web Site.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #17   Jun 7, 2009 7:44 am
By the way, does anyone know where the Garry upright comes from? I only mention this because Tacony is campaigning with the "Made in America" pitch.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #18   Jun 7, 2009 8:57 am
Venson wrote:
By the way, does anyone know where the Garry upright comes from? I only mention this because Tacony is campaigning with the "Made in America" pitch.

Venson

Hi Venson:

I couldn't find the country of origin in the User's Manual.  My guess is that if the Garry were made in the USA, it would be said loud and clear not just in the manual but the TV commercials. 

Carmine D. 

retardturtle1

Reply #19   Jun 7, 2009 5:22 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:

I couldn't find the country of origin in the User's Manual.  My guess is that if the Garry were made in the USA, it would be said loud and clear not just in the manual but the TV commercials. 

Carmine D. 

found a thread on vacuumlands site..thread6433....posted today about the g-vac....user input first hand..will hold us till CARMINE can come up with the inside story .
CarmineD

Reply #20   Jun 8, 2009 1:38 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
found a thread on vacuumlands site..thread6433....posted today about the g-vac....user input first hand..will hold us till CARMINE can come up with the inside story .

Hello retardturtle1:

Last Monday I was told the new ORECK Steam It would be in this week.  I would be first on the list to be called when it was.  As soon as I am, and visit the ORECK store, I'll be sure to post here. 

BTW, I know it was on another thread and not here, but while it's in my mind let me say it here.  I like your attitude about vacuums and learning to do more/better with what you know.  If Model2 doesn't post any answers to my questions, I'll be sure to post you offline with the correct answers to the questions I asked him. 

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #21   Jun 13, 2009 1:58 am
makes you wonder how they can get away with some of the crap they say ....i thought the govt. was cracking down on this. one would think that the cri would make it known that they never gave a certification to them....that they lied....and to think i was somewhat inspired by the thought of what the g-vac might do....or change.
CarmineD

Reply #22   Jun 13, 2009 7:01 am
retardturtle1 wrote:
makes you wonder how they can get away with some of the crap they say ....i thought the govt. was cracking down on this. one would think that the cri would make it known that they never gave a certification to them....that they lied....and to think i was somewhat inspired by the thought of what the g-vac might do....or change.

Hello retardturtle1:

The government moves by its own momentum often times slow, slower and slowest.  With the G-vac just months on the market, it hasn't reached enough people to get on the radar screens. 

BTW, no call from ORECK on the Steam It!  May stop by next week to see what gives on its ETA and talk G-vac.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #23   Jun 13, 2009 7:06 am
CarmineD wrote:
A post script to the post script:  The ORECK Memorial Day sale on the XL Silver is extended for selected ORECK store locations throughout the US.  These will be advertised in local newspapers.  The sale is not extended to the ORECK internet Web Site.

Carmine D.

The ORECK sales [Silver Series upright solo for $225] are advertised on TV too and have been extended through June 30, 2009.  Judy ORECK is the TV ads' sales pitcher.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 13, 2009 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #24   Jun 13, 2009 10:39 am
Carmine,

By what relations...  who is she?

Thanks,
DIB

Venson

Reply #25   Jun 13, 2009 11:15 am
cjnyusa wrote:
. . . It will be interesting to see if (in time) this product receives any decent reviews from "real consumers" but until then I have serious doubts about this product and it's provenance as a real quality product.

Hi cjnyusa,

The whole deal here is that the public is being yet again titilated with another "opportunity" to get something for nothing -- or in this case, allegedly a lot by way of lesser price. I have a great love of fantasy-type movies but can't afford myself the indulgence in the real world.

There are those prepared to make do off cheap buys and there are those who hold off on buying until they can purchase what they perceive as something "good". Something like a trade-offs made daily on HSN for a cubic zurconium over a diamond. However, what ranks as a real diamond is sometimes not easy to tell in regard to vacuums.

This just me but if somone were to walk up to me and say, "Just give me 200 buck and I'll give ya and give ya and give ya . . ." I'd be highly skeptical. First if you offer me a vacuum for $200.00 and then tell me that no matter what happens you'll replace it and keep on replacing it for life, my first thought is that it probably only cost you all of 15 bucks to make it in the first place. AND -- if I estimate the actual cost of manufacture being that low, why would I pay you 200 bucks?

The Garry is nothing new. Though the big kid is Oreck, there are at least half a dozen other low-watt draw lightwieght uprights besides the Garry with large disposable bags on the market. They all offer uncomplicated abbreviated air paths, a good thing, and all are more or less noisy no matter how much you pay for one, not good thing.

Garry offers a lot but there is no guarantee how long the company will be in existence. It being that the intenet has actually changed our world by lessening the cost of the exposure ideas, opinions and product, I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more of the same everywhere and for everything. As I posted earlier, if budget concerns were a real issue (and they are) I'd spring for a 99-buck Halo and make do for the next few years. Even if the machine fails in a year's time only a hundred bucks and sales tax has been lost.

Vacuums run the gamut from the overrated and expensive to the cheap toss-away but the best bets are those that fall at the "happy medium" mark.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #26   Jun 14, 2009 7:19 am
Venson wrote:

The Garry is nothing new. Though the big kid is Oreck, there are at least half a dozen other low-watt draw lightwieght uprights besides the Garry with large disposable bags on the market. They all offer uncomplicated abbreviated air paths, a good thing, and all are more or less noisy no matter how much you pay for one, not good thing.

Venson

Hello Venson:

I excerpted this comment from your post.  Surprisingly none of the lightweights, even ORECK, offer the tools on board like Garry.  I opined due to the small motor these direct suction fan first models utilize.  The small motors don't deliver enough umph for tool suction cleaning.  But, I have to verify that by actual usage with the Garry.  ORECK should have a G-vac in their stores to show propective buyers who ask about the G-vac the differences.   Perhaps the ORECK stores will.  Have to wait and see.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #27   Jun 14, 2009 8:56 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Venson:

I excerpted this comment from your post.  Surprisingly none of the lightweights, even ORECK, offer the tools on board like Garry.  I opined due to the small motor these direct suction fan first models utilize.  The small motors don't deliver enough umph for tool suction cleaning.  But, I have to verify that by actual usage with the Garry.  ORECK should have a G-vac in their stores to show propective buyers who ask about the G-vac the differences.   Perhaps the ORECK stores will.  Have to wait and see.

Carmine D.

Howdy Carmine,

My gut feeling is that Oreck needn't bother . . .

I am well aware of the Garry's tools but decided not even to bother pursuing what I see as so very much a non-issue in this case. My opinion is basically the same as yours -- the tools are doo-dads of little value. Thus, no miracle expected -- no miracle found. Oreck probably stands all that much the wiser for not bothering to add a tool set to its uprights. The company has its fans as is so why muck up a thus far perfectly good relationship with happy campers?

A few days back, I had to make a run into town to Lincoln Center. I decided to get off one station past my stop so I might learn if Oreck still had its "Clean Home Center" at 2003 Broadway. To my surprise the store is still there, great big window and all, and there was a customer or two inside. The uprights and the little portable schmutz collector were of course on hand but there was also a heater of some sort and the air cleaner on display. Broadway is pretty expensive and prized real estate even these days and by that at least I am impressed. However nothing much else drew my attention.

Online Oreck has been busy nonetheless. The company seems to have adopted a small bagless (pleated filter) canister vac formerly under the McColloch brand and renamed it the Oreck XL Little Hero Canister Vacuum Cleaner. The price is about a $170.00. This is now the least-priced small can vac on the Oreck roster. The little "Iron Man" portable, formerly sold by Sears way, way back, lists at $299.00. No comment on my part here except to say, it's nice work if you can get it.

http://www.oreck.com/canister-vacuum-cleaners/little-hero.cfm

Best,

Venson
retardturtle1

Reply #28   Jun 14, 2009 12:06 pm
Venson wrote:
Howdy Carmine,

My gut feeling is that Oreck needn't bother . . .

I am well aware of the Garry's tools but decided not even to bother pursuing what I see as so very much a non-issue in this case. My opinion is basically the same as yours -- the tools are doo-dads of little value. Thus, no miracle expected -- no miracle found. Oreck probably stands all that much the wiser for not bothering to add a tool set to its uprights. The company has its fans as is so why muck up a thus far perfectly good relationship with happy campers?

A few days back, I had to make a run into town to Lincoln Center. I decided to get off one station past my stop so I might learn if Oreck still had its "Clean Home Center" at 2003 Broadway. To my surprise the store is still there, great big window and all, and there was a customer or two inside. The uprights and the little portable schmutz collector were of course on hand but there was also a heater of some sort and the air cleaner on display. Broadway is pretty expensive and prized real estate even these days and by that at least I am impressed. However nothing much else drew my attention.

Online Oreck has been busy nonetheless. The company seems to have adopted a small bagless (pleated filter) canister vac formerly under the McColloch brand and renamed it the Oreck XL Little Hero Canister Vacuum Cleaner. The price is about a $170.00. This is now the least-priced small can vac on the Oreck roster. The little "Iron Man" portable, formerly sold by Sears way, way back, lists at $299.00. No comment on my part here except to say, it's nice work if you can get it.

http://www.oreck.com/canister-vacuum-cleaners/little-hero.cfm

Best,

Venson

hi venson

it seems with the g-vac xposed ...the only real threat i see to oreck is the riccar rsl series....and ive yet to see a direct air motor with tool suction worth a flip....that bagless can looks one of those royals that was sent to the shop for free.....we had it abt 2 weeks for around the shop use then..caput!...but i never really thought oreck would waste time on a bagless..or stand by one ...just seems outside the box for a company that makes really good vacuums...bagged vacuums.

Venson

Reply #29   Jun 14, 2009 2:08 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
hi venson</p><p>it seems with the g-vac xposed ...the only real threat i see to oreck is the riccar rsl series....and ive yet to see a direct air motor with tool suction worth a flip....that bagless can looks one of those royals that was sent to the shop for free.....we had it abt 2 weeks for around the shop use then..caput!...but i never really thought oreck would waste time on a bagless..or stand by one ...just seems outside the box for a company that makes really good vacuums...bagged vacuums.

Hi retardturtle1,

I do not see the Garry vac as being "exposed" but simply see it for what it is -- a cheap deal. You're buying into a machine supposedly as good as the expensive brand that many people feel is "it". You're also buying into a lot of promises regarding repair and endless disposable bag supply.

This is not an uncommon possibility as American enterprise, like air, abhors a vacuum. If it can't hook you into buying by way of inflated price and/or snob appeal it's more than willing and adept at doing an about face to feign empathy for the shopper with a challenged budget. Why do you think "Deluxe," "Standard" and "Economy" models have been made available for just about every device sold here all these years?

We are probably one of the few countries in the world where even the poorest among us can easily anticipate the purchase of a color TV. Why? 'Cause there's always a guy around to make sure their dough as does not get passed by. Albeit not as quickly, the nickels and dimes add up the same as folding money does.

As for Oreck, it is not the first company to acquire outsourced models to beef up its line. However, what is curious to me is how short the public memory is. The Oreck "Hero Vac" could be had for around 60 bucks a couple of years back under other names. What's to be discovered here is whether the same machine will sell any better with a new name and a higher price.

As mentioned prior by good friend MOLE, the general public is not worried over cyclones and all that stuff. They just want to feel assured that the vac they buy will operate well and without problem. Nonetheless, "bagless" does ring a bell because it implies there's less or maybe no money to be spent on maintenance. The "Hero Vac" -- somebody correct me if I'm wrong -- will be Oreck's first venture regarding bagless product. I assume the idea is to see whether it flies before they venture ahead. Here's a link to a similar model out of China:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/217516828/J302_Vacuum_Cleaner/showimage.html

Venson
retardturtle1

Reply #30   Jun 14, 2009 4:26 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi retardturtle1,

I do not see the Garry vac as being "exposed" but simply see it for what it is -- a cheap deal. You're buying into a machine supposedly as good as the expensive brand that many people feel is "it". You're also buying into a lot of promises regarding repair and endless disposable bag supply.

This is not an uncommon possibility as American enterprise, like air, abhors a vacuum. If it can't hook you into buying by way of inflated price and/or snob appeal it's more than willing and adept at doing an about face to feign empathy for the shopper with a challenged budget. Why do you think "Deluxe," "Standard" and "Economy" models have been made available for just about every device sold here all these years?

We are probably one of the few countries in the world where even the poorest among us can easily anticipate the purchase of a color TV. Why? 'Cause there's always a guy around to make sure their dough as does not get passed by. Albeit not as quickly, the nickels and dimes add up the same as folding money does.

As for Oreck, it is not the first company to acquire outsourced models to beef up its line. However, what is curious to me is how short the public memory is. The Oreck "Hero Vac" could be had for around 60 bucks a couple of years back under other names. What's to be discovered here is whether the same machine will sell any better with a new name and a higher price.

As mentioned prior by good friend MOLE, the general public is not worried over cyclones and all that stuff. They just want to feel assured that the vac they buy will operate well and without problem. Nonetheless, "bagless" does ring a bell because it implies there's less or maybe no money to be spent on maintenance. The "Hero Vac" -- somebody correct me if I'm wrong -- will be Oreck's first venture regarding bagless product. I assume the idea is to see whether it flies before they venture ahead. Here's a link to a similar model out of China:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/217516828/J302_Vacuum_Cleaner/showimage.html

Venson

HI VENSON

i always saw ORECK as a  easy to work on simple to use low maint very durable type of vacuum ...im aware they have outsourced some vacs...not sure witch ones....as we dont get them in often for repairs...just a full service clean up most of the time...but here lately ive seen quite a few in for lock-ups--- bearing failure..heat? been curious tho. ..and for ORECK to go into bagless area  with  the higher  maint,,far less reliable problematic system ....instead of  a bagless can -why not lower  the price of your  already awsome line-up and put the ORECK   in reach of those that couldnt normally afford a new one and increase sales in that once unreachable[bad credit-cash and carry loyal to thier product] market....beefing up the lower end..so to speak. and its a very large market.....they know the ORECK name and quality...and want it ....just out of reach tho.

Venson

Reply #31   Jun 14, 2009 4:50 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
HI VENSON</p><p>i always saw ORECK as a  easy to work on simple to use low maint very durable type of vacuum ...im aware they have outsourced some vacs...not sure witch ones....

Hi retardturtle1,

The large and mid-size Dutch-Tech" bagged canisters which use Wessel Werks PNs are from Philips, a European manufacturer that made household vacuums for quite some time and then left off. The "Iron Man" -- origin unknown to me -- is a vacuum that Sears sold as far back as the late 1960s. I can't quote the exact time but it disappeared for a time and then reappeared under the Oreck name.

By the way, the "Steam-It" can now be found at the Oreck website -- http://www.oreck.com

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #32   Jun 15, 2009 6:54 am
Venson wrote:

By the way, the "Steam-It" can now be found at the Oreck website -- http://www.oreck.com

Venson

Thanks Venson for the post.  Here's the info.

Steam-It

the all-purpose steamwand

It's never been so easy to get Oreck Clean.

The New Oreck Steam-It uses pressurized, "dry" steam to naturally disinfect and melt away dirt & grime. Unlike many conventional steam mops, the Oreck Steam-It has a unique, pressurized vapor chamber making it easy to clean above the floor without spilling. It’s the easy, eco-friendly way to clean without the use of toxic chemicals or detergents.

Features:

• Pressurized super-dry steam heats in under 30 seconds. And dry steam means no damp mess!
  • Works upside-down without spillage for above the floor cleaning.
  • Lightweight with fingertip controls and 16-ft. cord make it incredibly easy to use.
  • Deep cleans without chemicals- It attacks many germs and bacteria, using ordinary tap water.
  • Can be used on most flooring surfaces including marble, ceramic, stone, vinyl, laminate, linoleum and sealed hardwood floors.
  • Reusable, machine washable microfiber pads means there are no expensive replacement pads to buy.
  • 1-year warranty.

With six attachments, you’re sure to
cover nearly every inch of your home.

Clean Drapes

Clean Drapes from top to bottom and reach crown moldings and ceiling fans.

Clean upholstery

Target tough upholstery stains and freshen pillows and mattresses.

Clean Floors

Perfect for cleaning carpets, rugs and almost on any hard floor surface.

Clean Appliances

Clean Kitchen and bathroom counters, sinks and appliances.

Clean Tile

Remove grout stains, and soap scum from tough-to-clean tile.

Clean Windows

Clean windows with no spots or streaks.

Ready in thirty seconds Just add water, turn the Steam-It on, and it heats up in 30 seconds – creating a high-temperature, low-moisture dry steam that quickly removes dirt and rejuvenates flattened carpet, deep cleans virtually any hard floor surface, and reduces bacteria and germs. It also cleans windows spot-free, naturally disinfects kitchen and bath surfaces, tile and grout, removes tough stains from furniture and car upholstery, and even freshens pillows and mattresses. And surfaces are dry within minutes!

Including these extras Includes 2 washable microfiber towels, a bonnet, universal cleaning clips and 6 attachments.

The Steam-It is quiet and portable, reaches anywhere (even ceiling fans, cabinets and light fixtures), and can even be turned upside down without spillage. There are no expensive replacement cleaning pads to buy, either, because the Steam-It comes with two washable microfiber towels and a bonnet. And only the Steam-It has universal cleaning clips that let you use your own household towels to save money. It comes with a 6-piece attachment kit, a 1-year warranty, and is tough enough for everyday use. The New Oreck Steam-It: a safe, easy, all-natural, and cost-effective way to clean your home.

The New Oreck Steam-it Wand

Try it Risk-Free for 30 Days!

Price:
$169.95
Shipping:
Free!

Frequently asked Questions

• What is Steam Cleaning?

Steam cleaning is the latest cleaning technology available that provides deep penetrating cleaning ability without the dependant use of chemical additives.
  • How does steam clean?

It’s very simple really. Dirt and grime have adhesive qualities that enable them to stick onto all types of surfaces. The heat of the steam melts the adhesive and the dampness of the steam dilutes the adhesive. A wipe with a cloth quickly clears the dirt or grime away.
  • What are the benefits of steam cleaning?

Steam is a natural source using just clean water to create a powerful cleaning force. The absence of potentially harmful and expensive chemicals makes it an extremely easy, safe and cost effective way to clean your home. Steam leaves no toxic residues on surfaces and won’t stain clothing. Steam reduces well known bacteria such as e-coli, staph, and salmonella. And using only water means it's environmentally friendly.
  • What is Steam-It?

A Steam-It “All Purpose Steam Wand” may look like a vacuum – it is not. It is not the conventional "steam" cleaner nor is it a pressure washer. It is a new appliance that uses only a little water and a little electricity to clean virtually any surface – without using chemicals. The Steam-It is also quiet and portable so it can be used anywhere at anytime.
  • How does it work?

Using less than one liter of tap water, the multi-purpose Steam-It creates a low moisture vapor that carries heat to the surface you wish to treat. The heat combined with light agitation does the work for you. Steam-It comes with a variety of accessories creating a system that can be used on an unlimited number of applications.
  • What is "Dry" Steam?

An oxymoron? Perhaps. This describes a system that produces a high temperature, low moisture vapor. The vapor contains only 5% to 6% water and is much less dense than the air we breathe. It is mess free with temperatures hot enough to reduce bacteria and germs, emulsify grease and oil as well as other surface contaminates.
  • What can I use it on?

Besides the obvious steam mop activities such as cleaning tile floors, linoleum, and sealed hardwood the Steam-It can be used in hundreds of ways! From basic kitchen cleaning to golf club cleaning and everywhere in between. It has many uses around the home including bathroom tile/grout, upholstery, and carpet. It is excellent on floor surfaces for a deep down clean without chemicals. Additionally, the Steam-It can be used to defrost freezers and thaw frozen pipes.
  • Is there anything that I shouldn't clean with Steam-It?

The Steam-It is practical for any surface with the exception of those surfaces that are extremely heat sensitive. We recommend NOT using it on fine silks, delicate materials such as velour, some very thin plastics, unsealed hardwood, and exterior paint of automobiles, electronics or items using electricity. If ever in doubt, test a small hidden area before beginning extensive cleaning.
  • Can I use a Steam-It to clean wood floors?

We strongly suggest that you check the use and care instructions of your wood flooring manufacturer before using Steam-It or any steam cleaner. Do NOT use a steam cleaner on any unsealed flooring. Use of steam on an unsealed surface can cause warping and other damage to the finish on floors. We strongly suggest testing the Steam-It on an isolated inconspicuous area of your wood floor (in a corner or inside a closet if available) prior to overall use on any floor surface.
  • Where does the water go?

The water is put into a special tank that heats the water and changes it into a hot "dry" mist or vapor. The unique benefit of this system is that it produces low moisture, and high temperature vapor that carries only about 6% (six percent) water. We like to call this a "Dry" Steam Vapor because so little water is left behind and so little is used. Carpets are dry within minutes. Floors are also dry within a few minutes. This reduces the time and effort required for many tasks.
  • Where does the dirt go?

The final destination of the dirt depends largely upon which tool you use to clean a surface and also the capability of the vapor steam cleaner you are using.
    For example, if you were using the mop attachment with a micro-fiber cloth, the vapor would pass through the head making the cloth moist. The moist cloth would then absorb everything that was removed during the cleaning process. When using tools without an absorption cloth, you would simply remove any excess moisture from the cleaned surface with a terry cloth or other cleaning towel.
  • Can I use regular tap water in my steam cleaner?

Regular tap water can be used, however, be aware that if the water in your area is considered 'hard', mineral deposits can be left inside the tank. Mineral deposits built up over time will limit the amount of steam that can be released. Please be aware that malfunction caused by mineral build up is not covered under warranty. For this reason we suggest using filtered or even distilled water. Steam-It comes with two unique tools to clean out mineral deposits and disassembles easily. Please see the User’s Manual for further instruction.
  • Do I have to put chemicals in the Steam-It?

No. The wonderful thing about steam cleaning technology is the fact that only water is used for incredible cleaning results. You do not have to add any chemicals inside the Steam-It to see considerable cleaning results.

• How long does it take to heat up and produce steam?

In 30 seconds, the Oreck Steam-It is ready for use. Other steam cleaners can take up to 15 minutes before they have sufficient steam for operation.

• How much pressure does it produce?

The Steam-It produces only low pressure, usually in the range of 50 to 60 PSI. The low pressure creates a very safe and easy to use system. The work is done by the heat concentrated at the desired cleaning surface. The heat dissipates quickly once the vapor expands into the atmosphere.
  • Why don’t I just scrub away with soap and a sponge?

Our existing cleaning regimen consists of applying a chemical or abrasive cleaner, then wiping or scrubbing the surface until the contaminant appears to be removed. This method is superficial at best, requires physical effort, often degrades the surface, exposes our skin and lungs to harsh or toxic fumes and leaves behind chemical residue which dull and attract dirt to the finished surface. The Steam-It removes surface contaminants without degrading the surface. The heat combined with very fine water particles penetrates even the pores – whatever the surface. This proven process thoroughly removes contaminants plus leaves the surface free of residue.
  • What does the Steam-It weigh?

With floor appliance and water: 9.40 lbs
    With floor appliance no water: 6.95 lbs
    Floor appliance: 1.30 lbs
  • How long is the Steam-It cord?

16 ft.
  • What is the Oreck Steam-It Warranty?

1 year

CarmineD

Reply #33   Jun 22, 2009 2:36 pm
The Steam It has not been received at my local ORECK store, making it several weeks overdue.  I'm on the list for a call as soon as it is available in the store.

BTW, the ORECK staff were totally unaware of the Garry Vac.  Caught them by surprise.  THese are person that have been in the vacuum business for almost 2 decades.  A scope of the web site had them amused.  Both saying that the site mirrored ORECK's own web site.  The store I was busy while I was there.  ORECK'S are selling and being brought in for repair and parts.  At least in this ORECK store. 

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #34   Jun 22, 2009 4:47 pm

CarmineD wrote:

The Steam It has not been received at my local ORECK store, making it several weeks overdue.  I'm on the list for a call as soon as it is available in the store.

BTW, the ORECK staff were totally unaware of the Garry Vac.  Caught them by surprise.  THese are person that have been in the vacuum business for almost 2 decades.  A scope of the web site had them amused.  Both saying that the site mirrored ORECK's own web site.  The store I was busy while I was there.  ORECK'S are selling and being brought in for repair and parts.  At least in this ORECK store. 

Carmine D.

HI CARMINE

guess they got vacuums  to make..to keep up with demand.  [no excess inventory]  .no time to watch tv...but im glad to hear that some shops are doing good...i know alot that are not. great ...now perhaps ORECK will shed some light on GERRY...do a little research and shed some light.....great work.         

CarmineD

Reply #35   Jun 22, 2009 8:05 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:

HI CARMINE

guess they got vacuums  to make..to keep up with demand.  [no excess inventory]  .no time to watch tv...but im glad to hear that some shops are doing good...i know alot that are not. great ...now perhaps ORECK will shed some light on GERRY...do a little research and shed some light.....great work.         

You're welcome. I enjoy the exchange of information with other professionals in the industry even if I'm officially retired.  The one ORECK staffer was a master repairman.  He had worked for Tacony for 17 years before his employment with ORECK.  Interesting to get his perspective on both brands simultaneously.  And then his perspective on the garry vacuum too.  He made the same observation I made here.  These lightweights uprights, ORECK, RICCAR/SIMPLICITY, HOOVER, have small motors.  It would be highly unusual for them to offer good tool suction. 

The other ORECK-er is a store manager for ORECK and very knowledgeable in her own right.  She initially gave me the run down on the ORECK halo in a very low key and mild manner.  No sales hype.

I suspect when I return, they will both have some more info on the garry vacuum to share.  Just a hunch.

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #36   Jun 22, 2009 8:35 pm
CarmineD wrote:
You're welcome. I enjoy the exchange of information with other professionals in the industry even if I'm officially retired.  The one ORECK staffer was a master repairman.  He had worked for Tacony for 17 years before his employment with ORECK.  Interesting to get his perspective on both brands simultaneously.  And then his perspective on the garry vacuum too.  He made the same observation I made here.  These lightweights uprights, ORECK, RICCAR/SIMPLICITY, HOOVER, have small motors.  It would be highly unusual for them to offer good tool suction. 

The other ORECK-er is a store manager for ORECK and very knowledgeable in her own right.  She initially gave me the run down on the ORECK halo in a very low key and mild manner.  No sales hype.

I suspect when I return, they will both have some more info on the garry vacuum to share.  Just a hunch.

Carmine D.

hi carmine

RETIRED.....YES.   but the knowledge and expierence that you have is priceless....and a gift. to those of us who want to know some of what you and the other members have to offer....and if this helps me do my job better or sell a little better [and it has] then this forum and its members i give credit to....and yes , the dyson lovers also.  i thank you ,,   but to move  on.  so mr. carmine im sure said people had something to say about  said lightweights, perhaps a little inside info or performance comparisons between the above....i mean his in depth perspective is very interesting im sure. [besides tool air-flow] ...what the oreck lady had to say...do tell please  you cant leave your post as is....that would be a crime.....ps. i also accept  p.mesgs  on the subject.    

CarmineD

Reply #37   Jun 23, 2009 7:20 am
Hi retardturtle1:

Let's see what the old memory recalls.  The manager, female, said to expect more involvement in ORECK operations by Judy ORECK, including TV commercials.  She likes Judy saying she is direct and honest.  The master repairman seconded that motion.  With the right set of circumstances I may have an opportunity to meet Judy at one of the Las Vegas stores.

The master repairman said both RICCAR/SIMPLICITY and ORECK's, due to fan first design, are equally at risk for fan breakage.  None is more vulnerable than the other.  As one/other sometimes maintains.  He does get dyson uprights in for repair that are clogged in both dirt path and filters.  He repairs them if customers are willing.  I didn't press him on the clutches, but he said he doesn't repair.  They advise customers to ship back to dyson for repair.  Which he says makes the dyson owners irate, especially when they learn they pay the shipping and don't ahve a vacuum for a few weeks.

Both said the ORECK vacuum workmanship beats the latest HOOVER lightweight but is on par with TACONY's lightweights.  Routine services on all the ORECK uprights, not covered under the extended warranty features, are $15, not including parts.  Primary clientele at least in this store are women and the cleaning services who use ORECk vacuums in business. 

ORECK's vacuums sell quicker than TACONY.  Why is that important?  Belt life is better new out of the box.  [Tho as recently mentioned here the latest TACONY vacuums have kevlar belts.  I didn't mention that factoid].  They're point is the longer for the sale of the new product the more degraded the belt.  In some cases a new belt is needed on the TACONY vacuums new out of the box.  The kevlar belts probably make this a moot issue and may be a result of the problem. 

Hope that assists.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 23, 2009 by CarmineD
retardturtle1

Reply #38   Jun 23, 2009 2:08 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi retardturtle1:

Let's see what the old memory recalls.  The manager, female, said to expect more involvement in ORECK operations by Judy ORECK, including TV commercials.  She likes Judy saying she is direct and honest.  The master repairman seconded that motion.  With the right set of circumstances I may have an opportunity to meet Judy at one of the Las Vegas stores.

The master repairman said both RICCAR/SIMPLICITY and ORECK's, due to fan first design, are equally at risk for fan breakage.  None is more vulnerable than the other.  As one/other sometimes maintains.  He does get dyson uprights in for repair that are clogged in both dirt path and filters.  He repairs them if customers are willing.  I didn't press him on the clutches, but he said he doesn't repair.  They advise customers to ship back to dyson for repair.  Which he says makes the dyson owners irate, especially when they learn they pay the shipping and don't ahve a vacuum for a few weeks.

Both said the ORECK vacuum workmanship beats the latest HOOVER lightweight but is on par with TACONY's lightweights.  Routine services on all the ORECK uprights, not covered under the extended warranty features, are $15, not including parts.  Primary clientele at least in this store are women and the cleaning services who use ORECk vacuums in business. 

ORECK's vacuums sell quicker than TACONY.  Why is that important?  Belt life is better new out of the box.  [Tho as recently mentioned here the latest TACONY vacuums have kevlar belts.  I didn't mention that factoid].  They're point is the longer for the sale of the new product the more degraded the belt.  In some cases a new belt is needed on the TACONY vacuums new out of the box.  The kevlar belts probably make this a moot issue and may be a result of the problem. 

Hope that assists.

Carmine D.

HI CARMINE.

Thank you for sharing that...i found it very helpful....and i do believe ive seen judy a couple of times on tv...but i saw her brother not too long ago on a im really rich show..showing his house , plane...ect....really nice.  hope you get to meet her...but you would think tacony would use or make  a metal fan...i would..alot of the cleaning services that have us maintain their kirbys switched over to metal...and no more breakage. so true about the belts, the orig oreck belts are by far the best over essco replacements, tacony ..and i knew oreck was on par in quality with tacony...no doubt. but like the tacony more because of the price and the better performance and deeper cleaning,.sleeker look.  then a can for the rest.  hoover by far has nothing on either of the above...its just one bad ass looking vac with a beast of a motor for super deep cleaning....just all the downfalls that the above dont have..but id buy the either them without a motor...and put one of my many in there,....but in the end oreck is the proven winner overall just cause the vac does what its suppost to do....and do it reliably.....

ps.how does the oreck plat rate against the takony...perf. wise.

CarmineD

Reply #39   Jun 23, 2009 2:38 pm
Peformance wise retardturtle1, I'd say TACONY uprights are a tad better than ORECK's. 

I see alot of employees defecting from TACONY and going over to ORECK.  Not the other way around.  That might be a coincidence particular to my personal experience and not widespread. 

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #40   Jun 23, 2009 5:10 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Peformance wise retardturtle1, I'd say TACONY uprights are a tad better than ORECK's. 

I see alot of employees defecting from TACONY and going over to ORECK.  Not the other way around.  That might be a coincidence particular to my personal experience and not widespread. 

Carmine D.

hi carmine

odd thind i noticed tho carmine, i had to replace a mtr on a riccar sl and the wrty repl they sent was a lamb motor. but in orecks you see an oreck motor....im thinking that on the movement issue , oreck could be better to work for ..stronger family oriented comp. ..security.

CarmineD

Reply #41   Jun 23, 2009 9:11 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
hi carmine

odd thind i noticed tho carmine, i had to replace a mtr on a riccar sl and the wrty repl they sent was a lamb motor. but in orecks you see an oreck motor....im thinking that on the movement issue , oreck could be better to work for ..stronger family oriented comp. ..security.

Hi retardturtle1:

Lamb motors have been a staple fo the vacuum industry going back to the 50's.  ORECK has a magic name.  The original lightweight upright.  A classic.  Icon for the industry.  The face of that product is Dave Oreck, the most recognizable person in the vacuum industry in the USA.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #42   Jun 23, 2009 9:13 pm
On the same note, most ORECK stores have a life size photo of Dave hanging on the wall and pitching the ORECK upright.  Pride in your product, name, and reputation in the business. 

Carmine D.

Tread184

Reply #43   Jul 21, 2009 2:47 am
I have an Oreck XL21 that I bought a few years back and I have to say that it was the warranty and service plan that sold me on it. After reading on this Garry vac, it does look cheap. if you read the details on the bags...they bill you $9.99 every 4 months. That's $30 a year. I can get the a year supply of Oreck paper bags like they show for $20 or the new ones with charcoal (which I buy) for $35. I cant see spending shipping and handling every time something happens to my vac. I have a local Oreck that I frequent, because im friends with the manager and I like to keep my home extremely clean. I own most of the Oreck products they offer. It is so much easier to go in and have my vac repaired for free when something goes wrong and I've never been without my vac for more than 3 days. I don't think this will hurt Oreck's business because the consumer that buys an Oreck/Dyson/Kirby will generally shop high end vacuums and knows that when you buy $50 to $199 vacs you get what you pay for and if they read the site for what is actually charged, they will see the scam they are running for continual charges.

I was in Oreck just last week and purchased that portable steamer when I picked up my vac from being serviced. I honestly wanted to see how it compared to the shark. I like it for disinfecting my wood floors and tile, but I cant say that I would use it for much more than that. Its suppose to be usable on windows and mirrors, but when it full of water its really awkward to invert or even hold it straight..Its just easier to use glass cleaner and a microfiber towel. I havent used the smaller attachments yet, but would like to see how well the small brush works around my toilet..if there is room for it to fit.

Ive met Judy Oreck once. I think she owns some of the stores in the Baton Rouge area as well. She had come to the New Orleans area for a new product release or somthing when I was in the store. I think I was told that she was an Ex wife of Tom Oreck maybe..Dont remember much about it though..Sry im off topic...just trying to hit on alot of subjects in this thread....

Carmine..If you havent gotten your Steamer yet, Im sure I can make a call and get you one..Like I said..I have friends...lol
CarmineD

Reply #44   Jul 21, 2009 6:30 am
Hello Tread184:

Thanks for the offer on the ORECK Steam It.  It's been available on the ORECK Web SIte for weeks.  But I'm holding out to make a deal with the Silver Series too at my local ORECK store.  The longer I wait, the more uses I come up with for the ORECK Steam It.  So maybe the delay is a good thing!

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #45   Jul 21, 2009 5:43 pm
Ironically we turtle1 was just posting about the conspicuos absence of Garry vacuums and information and lo and behold it's here on the front page side banner.

http://www.garryvac.com/?src=affiliate&aid=14626&subid=main&gclid=cikg_pzl05icfqy_agodpx3rgq

Carmine D.

carolinadewitte

Reply #46   Jul 26, 2009 9:11 am
Did anyone happen to look under their 'Terms and Conditions'?  It states the following:

ARBITRATION AGREEMENT

THIS ARBITRATION AGREEMENT (“AGREEMENT”) AFFECTS YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS AND REMEDIES BY PROVIDING THAT DISPUTES BETWEEN YOU AND THE SELLER OF THIS PRODUCT (“COMPANY”), MUST BE RESOLVED THROUGH BINDING ARBITRATION, RATHER THAN IN A COURT.

PLEASE READ THIS AGREEMENT CAREFULLY. YOU ACCEPT THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT BY RETAINING THE PRODUCT(S) SHIPPED IN CONNECTION WITH THIS AGREEMENT (THE “PRODUCT”) FOR MORE THAN FOURTEEN (14) DAYS AFTER RECEIPT. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, YOU MAY RETURN THE PRODUCT TO COMPANY WITHIN FOURTEEN (14) DAYS OF RECEIPT AT NO COST TO YOU.

1. RESOLUTION OF CLAIMS OR DISPUTES.
Any claim or dispute between you and Company (or any of Company’s subsidiaries or affiliates) arising out of or relating in any way to the Product or this Agreement shall be resolved through final, binding arbitration. This arbitration obligation applies regardless of whether the claim or dispute involves a tort, fraud, misrepresentation, product liability, negligence, violation of a statute, or any other legal theory. Both you and Company specifically acknowledge and agree that you waive your right to bring a lawsuit based on such claims or disputes and to have such lawsuit resolved by a judge or jury.

2. LIMITATION OF LEGAL REMEDIES.
All arbitrations under this Agreement shall be conducted on an individual (and not a class-wide) basis, and an arbitrator shall have no authority to award class-wide relief. You acknowledge and agree that this Agreement specifically prohibits you from commencing arbitration proceedings as a representative of others or joining in any arbitration proceedings brought by any other person.

3. ARBITRATION PROCEDURES.
a. Before commencing any arbitration proceedings under this Agreement, you must first present the claim or dispute to Company by calling 818-217-2500 and asking for the Legal Department and allowing Company the opportunity to resolve the claim or dispute. If your claim or dispute is not resolved within sixty (60) days, you may commence arbitration proceedings in accordance with the terms of this Agreement.
b. The arbitration of any claim or dispute under this Agreement shall be conducted pursuant to the American Arbitration Association’s (“AAA“) United States Commercial Dispute Resolution Procedures and Supplementary Procedures for Consumer-Related Disputes. These rules and procedures are available by calling the AAA or by visiting its web site at www.adr.org.
c. The arbitration of any claim or dispute under this Agreement shall be conducted in the State of California or the location in which you received this Agreement.
d. All administrative expenses of arbitration proceedings commenced under this Agreement shall be divided equally between you and Company, except that: (a) if the claim or dispute that is the subject of the arbitration proceedings is less than ten thousand dollars (US$10,000), you will be responsible for no more than one hundred twenty-five dollars (US$125) in administrative expenses; (b) if the claim or dispute that is the subject of the arbitration proceedings is more than ten thousand dollars (US$10,000) but less than seventy-five thousand dollars (US$75,000), you will be responsible for no more than three hundred seventy-five dollars (US$375) in administrative expenses; and (c) if the claim or dispute that is the subject of the arbitration proceedings is more than seventy-five thousand dollars (US$75,000), then you will be responsible for administrative expenses in accordance with the Commercial Fee Schedule provided by the AAA. You acknowledge and agree that each party shall pay the fees and costs of its own counsel, experts and witnesses.

4. CHOICE OF LAW.
This Agreement shall be governed by the United States Federal Arbitration Act and the laws of the state of California.

5. SEVERABILITY.
If any provision of this Agreement is declared or found to be unlawful, unenforceable or void, such provision will be ineffective only to the extent that it is found unlawful, unenforceable or void, and the remainder of the provision and all other provisions shall remain fully enforceable.

This sounds pretty ominous to me. I don't think I will be purchasing one any time soon. I too find it's strange that I can't find any customer reviews.
CarmineD

Reply #47   Jul 26, 2009 5:31 pm
Hello carolinadewitte:

Thank you for posting this info.  I agree with you, I would not be buying one soon either save the curiosity factor of how well it works in tool mode.

I am not a big fan of arbitration/arbitrators.  My experience is that they know nothing of the products and people involved and don't really care to know.  They get paid to do a job.  They  view their roles as bringing both parties to a mutual agreement and save legal fees/damage awards for the company.  My experience is also that the arbitrators are in bed so to speak with the companies' managements/legal counsels.  Why?  An individual has little clout against a company.  Hence the reason in part no class action suits are permitted.  In arbitration hearings, I have always turned down the arbitrators' terms.  ALWAYS!  Only to be threatened by them with the end of the world if I refused to agree.  Well, the world didn't end and I usually resulted with a better deal in the end than the arbitrators brought to the table.

Carmine D.

procare

Reply #48   Aug 9, 2009 5:36 pm
In looking for more information of the company I found ENVION . Garry Vac -Vacuum &  Purify Air , Ionic Pro - Air Purifier , Pure Pro - Professional Air Purifier, Humidiheat - heat,Humidifier, Air Washer and Therapure - Ultimate Air Purification System using HEPA  like filters.So far nothing sounds good to me. I am still looking for more.   Oh One bag coming with the cleaner sounds fishy. How much is Shipping and Processing? Specs sound odd and confusing.

Procare

This message was modified Aug 9, 2009 by procare
CarmineD

Reply #49   Aug 9, 2009 5:50 pm
Hello Procare the Man:

I believe Venson posted that the cost of the bags are free for the lifetime of the Garry vacuum.  But there's a hitch.  Shipping costs!  Which if there like some of the charges out there for mailing and handling takes 4 weeks and costs $15.  Upgrade to reduce the wait and the price doubles.

CArmine D.

Venson

Reply #50   Aug 9, 2009 8:20 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Procare the Man:</p><p>I believe Venson posted that the cost of the bags are free for the lifetime of the Garry vacuum.  But there's a hitch.  Shipping costs!  Which if there like some of the charges out there for mailing and handling takes 4 weeks and costs $15.  Upgrade to reduce the wait and the price doubles.</p><p>CArmine D.

Howdy Carmine,

Because you mentioned, I went back to the Garry site and indeed bags are "free . . . just pay shipping and handling." Per the website, free replacement of the cleaner, even if the owner is at fault re the damage, the same deal applies --you pay shipping and handling.

If it costs $15 to ship a pack of bags I can only imagine what they'll ask to ship a replacement vacuum.

Venson
TinkMomZ

Reply #51   Dec 16, 2009 8:47 pm
Also, in their commercial. they show the Oreck Gold vs Dyson vs Garry vac. All of the comparisons are skewed (of course) for Garry. Why did they not have an example of the Oreck when emptying the bag? Why was it stated in parethenses about the weight being for the upright & canister? I know Oreck has it's faults, but after having used many other vacuums, I know it's worth saiting for Oreck to have their "sales". No vacuum is gonna be perfect, but how can you argue with warrantys that last from 1-21 years? There IS an Oreck and a payment plan for ANYONE. I'm disgusted by all the false claims Garry has made about Oreck and Dyson... and I don't even like Dyson. I would never give my CC # for automatic payments for "Free bags for life" that cost more than BUYING bags is from Oreck. Ugh!!! Vacuuming is supposed to be my peaceful time!!

cjnyusa wrote:

Well, the TV infomercial for Garry Ultra Light vacuum cleaner say they have approval from "The Carpet and Rug Institute"

When looking at the website of "The Carpet and Rug Institute" to get a list of their "Seal of Approval Products"

http://www.carpet-rug.org/commercial-customers/cleaning-and-maintenance/seal-of-approval-products/index.cfm

You won't find any mention of this product in any of the categories. That's a little strange huh?

Also, Google "Garry Vaccum Cleaner" and you won't find any web sites that provide any reviews for this product....also a little strange eh? (for a such a supposedly great product....you would expect to see some great reviews somewhere on the web, right?)

The only thing I can find on the web is one very poor review at consumer reports:

http://discussions.consumerreports.org/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=cr-vaccuums&tid=152

I'm left thinking that this product is most likely a piece of garbage being touted as a cheap alternative to Oreck and Dyson, with the consumer being left to realize after the event that "Yes, it was too good to be true after all"

The sales tactics also seem a little dubious to say the least, no pricing, claims of "free bags", replacement unit with no questions if it ever goes wrong or gets damaged, but then when visiting their website, you see their warranty details which seem to contradict their advertising claims:

Limited Lifetime
Zero Maintenance Warranty

Your Garry™ vacuum is warranted to be free from defects in materials and
workmanship for five years from the original purchase date [or for the lifetime
of the original purchaser]. Should the product have a defect in materials or
workmanship, we will repair or replace it with no charge to you (a shipping and
processing fee will apply).
(Note that NO performance guarantee according to the claims in their advertising is included)

We will also provide you with unlimited Garry™
hypo-allergenic bags for life without charge to you (a shipping and processing
fee will apply).
To obtain service under warranty or to obtain Garry™
hypo-allergenic bags, simply call our customer service center toll-free at
888-544-3729. This warranty does not cover damage caused by accident,
misuse or any use other than as intended and described in the product
manual,
(seemingly different than described in their infomercial which states that no matter what, "no questions asked", a replacement vacuum will be supplied free of charge) or damage resulting from failure to maintain and clean this product
as specified in this product manual. This warranty does not apply if the
product is used in a commercial or rental application.
This warranty applies
only to the original purchaser of the Garry™ vacuum. In the event that the
current model of the Garry™ vacuum is discontinued, we reserve the right
to replace it with another vacuum. In order to obtain a replacement vacuum,
you will be required to return your damaged Garry™ vacuum to the
manufacturer. This warranty is valid only if you retain proof of purchase
from a Garry™ authorized dealer for this product
. To be certain that your
warranty claim can be processed as quickly and efficiently as possible,
please mail in the warranty card provided with your new Garry™ vacuum.
You may also register on our website at www.GarryVac.com .

Generally speaking of course you do tend to get what you pay for, and from what I can ascertain from other's comments online, this product would appear to perform substantially less than the sellers claims.

It will be interesting to see if (in time) this product receives any decent reviews from "real consumers" but until then I have serious doubts about this product and it's provenance as a real quality product.

CarmineD

Reply #52   Dec 17, 2009 6:52 am
While I understand the slick TV marketing to sell, I had a problem with the company's use of the CRI when it was not on the CRI site.  This was a biggie for me.  Of course, Garry got around this by stating that its machine was still in the queue for testing for the CRI seal and it expects approval.  Stretching the truth?  Overly optimistic?  Either way Garry got the CRI approval seal: Silver Category.  A huge selling point for buyers/users.  Much to Garry's credit.  So Garry is in good company.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 17, 2009 by CarmineD
Lucky1

Reply #53   Dec 17, 2009 3:31 pm
Anyone considering a Lightweight owes it to themselves to try the Simplicity Freedom series. Outstanding vacuum and even better company.
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #54   Dec 17, 2009 10:26 pm
It's well worth paying a little more and buying from a reputable company like Oreck/Simplicity/Riccar than to buy a Gary.     I wonder if Gary is suffering from a cash flow problem, and is thus unable to make the refunds that it should be making.  It's tough to take on an established product like Oreck.   

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
CarmineD

Reply #55   Dec 18, 2009 7:03 am
Lucky1 wrote:
Anyone considering a Lightweight owes it to themselves to try the Simplicity Freedom series. Outstanding vacuum and even better company.

Severus wrote:

It's well worth paying a little more and buying from a reputable company like Oreck/Simplicity/Riccar than to buy a Gary.     I wonder if Gary is suffering from a cash flow problem, and is thus unable to make the refunds that it should be making.  It's tough to take on an established product like Oreck.   

Both RICCAR/SIMPLICITY lightweights are awarded the CRI seal also, like ORECK and Garry.  While they give ORECK comparable competition, consumers are more familiar with ORECK's thanks to Dave and his vacuum advertising presence. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 18, 2009 by CarmineD
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #56   Dec 18, 2009 10:27 am
Carmine,

The Garry may be a decent concept, but it's tough for an upstart to take to succeed, particularly when it doesn't do well in Consumer Reports testing.    I wonder how it compares to a Dirt Devil Featherlite or Hoover?  Because Oreck has the ability to charge a premium for their products, they have the deep pockets to allow generous return policies.  

If the Garry were sold at El Big Bog Store, you could at least return it without being stuck with paying the shipping and handling charge twice. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Venson

Reply #57   Dec 18, 2009 12:21 pm
Severus wrote:
Carmine,

The Garry may be a decent concept, but it's tough for an upstart to take to succeed, particularly when it doesn't do well in Consumer Reports testing.    I wonder how it compares to a Dirt Devil Featherlite or Hoover?  Because Oreck has the ability to charge a premium for their products, they have the deep pockets to allow generous return policies.  

If the Garry were sold at El Big Bog Store, you could at least return it without being stuck with paying the shipping and handling charge twice. 

Hi Severus,

Due to the shoddiness of the product, I still strongly feel it was the never the intention of the Garry's makers to make good on making good easy.

This is a vac that is cheap to make or acquire and banking on the "one's born every day' factor I think Garry probably anticipated a nice piece of change coming its way. I am not prone to sweat it for long in regard to purchases of $100 or less. I of course have followed through to gain whatever satisfaction may be due and conveniently accessible to me as regards disputes about such purchases. Yet, I have had to learn to grin and bear. A hundred dollars is considered as being no money at all in present times. A hundred dollars probably by equivalent represents the cost of the $39.95 miracles we thought were great back in the 1960s and 70s.

Cheating the public, no matter the price, by no means is good or decent but that is what I believe Garry set out to do and has done. I believe it so much that I'd bet money on it.

How many people are going to raise a fuss for long about something that only cost a hundred dollars or so? How many people are going to bother with even considering paying fifty bucks to ship a cheap vacuum back to its maker for repair? If it can't be fixed locally and cheaply the obvious end to the story takes place at the town dump. The guys in business who know stats and numbers know that and in this case banked on it.

Sadly, Garry's accomplice has been the victim. People thought they'd come across an opportunity to beat the market but were absolutely wrong in their anticipations.

I am not a great fan of Oreck but I think even a refurb of that brand will probably outlast a brand new Garry any day. My best advice to the public is to think longer before investing in cheap product claimed to outdo higher priced gizmos especially from companies that promise, "I'm gonna give you, and give you and give you . . ." What they usually end up giving you is the shaft. Best, Venson
Severus

Reply #58   Dec 18, 2009 12:28 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Severus,

Due to the shoddiness of the product, I still strongly feel it was the never the intention of the Garry's makers to make good on making good easy.

This is a vac that is cheap to make or acquire and banking on the "one's born every day' factor I think Garry probably anticipated a nice piece of change coming its way. I am not prone to sweat it for long in regard to purchases of $100 or less. I of course have followed through to gain whatever satisfaction may be due and conveniently accessible to me as regards disputes about such purchases. Yet, I have had to learn to grin and bear. A hundred dollars is considered as being no money at all in present times. A hundred dollars probably by equivalent represents the cost of the $39.95 miracles we thought were great back in the 1960s and 70s.

Cheating the public, no matter the price, by no means is good or decent but that is what I believe Garry set out to do and has done. I believe it so much that I'd bet money on it.

How many people are going to raise a fuss for long about something that only cost a hundred dollars or so? How many people are going to bother with even considering paying fifty bucks to ship a cheap vacuum back to its maker for repair? If it can't be fixed locally and cheaply the obvious end to the story takes place at the town dump. The guys in business who know stats and numbers know that and in this case banked on it.

Sadly, Garry's accomplice has been the victim. People thought they'd come across an opportunity to beat the market but were absolutely wrong in their anticipations.

I am not a great fan of Oreck but I think even a refurb of that brand will probably outlast a brand new Garry any day. My best advice to the public is to think longer before investing in cheap product claimed to outdo higher priced gizmos especially from companies that promise, "I'm gonna give you, and give you and give you . . ." What they usually end up giving you is the shaft. Best, Venson

Although Dustmite will accuse you and/or I of talking to ourselves, bravo.    Everyone wants a bargain.  The early pleated filter bagless vacuums were sold with a similar con - no bags to buy ever.  You just buy a filter that costs as much as a year's supply of bags. 

mole

Reply #59   Dec 18, 2009 1:04 pm
Hi Venson

You bring a very  good argument to the table. Why cant companies, people just do the right things today. This will backfire on them it usually does just for some it takes longer.

But as you know there are still companies that are strait shooters out there but unfortunatly ALL dealers, distributors, owners,  get lumped into the same group, It must be the New way of doing business today. The machines dont cause the problems  Its the people behind it.

stay well

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #60   Dec 19, 2009 6:46 am
Garry has options if the sales wane.  Dropping price.  Big box venue.  Buyout [recall halo].  Finally, better product making.  See what happens.  Certainly, with its price and presentation it should withstand the current market and economy.  BTW, the testimonials are adding up on its Web Site.  Of course only the best are provided.  Still interesting to read if one has the time.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #61   Dec 19, 2009 7:25 am
CarmineD wrote:
Garry has options if the sales wane.  Dropping price.  Big box venue.  Buyout [recall halo].  Finally, better product making.  See what happens.  Certainly, with its price and presentation it should withstand the current market and economy.  BTW, the testimonials are adding up on its Web Site.  Of course only the best are provided.  Still interesting to read if one has the time.

Carmine D.

They really are copying Oreck.
CarmineD

Reply #62   Dec 19, 2009 8:27 am
HARDSELL wrote:
They really are copying Oreck.

Absolutely HS.  If you read the leadoff thread, I made the same observation with the Garry giveaways.  True of dyson too with giveaways, taking a page from ORECK.  True of Shark Navigator too taking on dyson with giveaways, taking a page from ORECK.  You always emulate the industry leaders, those that have made it over good times and bad, like ORECK, with success.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #63   Dec 19, 2009 9:29 am
CarmineD wrote:
Absolutely HS.  If you read the leadoff thread, I made the same observation with the Garry giveaways.  True of dyson too with giveaways, taking a page from ORECK.  True of Shark Navigator too taking on dyson with giveaways, taking a page from ORECK.  You always emulate the industry leaders, those that have made it over good times and bad, like ORECK, with success.

Carmine D.

Right,  deceiving comments on Oreck site leads to success.
CarmineD

Reply #64   Dec 19, 2009 5:42 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Right,  deceiving comments on Oreck site leads to success.

HS:

All the ORECK buyers/users I know/talk with luv them and speak highly of them.  ORECK customers are generally repeat buyers and/or repair their ORECKs faithfully.  You are the ONLY ORECK exception I know.  And I know many.  ORECK surely has limitations.  All products do.  It's not for all and every vacuum user.  But for those who want them and buy them and use them, they are ideally suited. 

ORECK is obviously not for you and you for it.  We get it.  BUT .....honestly,  ORECK is doing very well despite it's head on hit by KATRINA in 2005, despite all the competition, and despite the economy.  Even without you as one of their statisfied customers.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #65   Dec 19, 2009 5:55 pm
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

All the ORECK buyers/users I know/talk with luv them and speak highly of them.  ORECK customers are generally repeat buyers and/or repair their ORECKs faithfully.  You are the ONLY ORECK exception I know.  And I know many.  ORECK surely has limitations.  All products do.  It's not for all and every vacuum user.  But for those who want them and buy them and use them, they are ideally suited. 

ORECK is obviously not for you and you for it.  We get it.  BUT .....honestly,  ORECK is doing very well despite it's head on hit by KATRINA in 2005, despite all the competition, and despite the economy.  Even without you as one of their statisfied customers.

Carmine D.

And Dyson is doing fine despite your dislike for them. 

Oreck is doing so well that they now have a surplus to sell in bb stores.

Severus

Reply #66   Dec 19, 2009 11:54 pm
I was visiting a open house in an upscale area of town.  There was a 3000sf home with a combination of wood floors, tile, and low pile carpeting (looked almost like commercial carpeting with a nice design), and lo and behold inside the hall closet was an Oreck XL21.   For this type of flooring, the Oreck is a pretty good match. 

CarmineD

Reply #67   Dec 20, 2009 7:09 am
HARDSELL wrote:
And Dyson is doing fine despite your dislike for them. 

Oreck is doing so well that they now have a surplus to sell in bb stores.

HS:

I really think you are disappointed and/or sad that your sold your DC07 [supposedly its signature model by your account] and its discontinued now never to be made and sold again.  You're having seller's remorse.  You compensate for your poor judgement by attacking ORECK and HOOVER, both brands with their signature models [Classic and WT] still sold pervasively at retailers and stores.

If it makes you feel worse, ORECK now is also gifting a toy ORECK vacuum with all purchases starting Dec 19.  Gotta get me at least one of those for the grands.  In my experience, it's an ORECK first.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #68   Dec 20, 2009 7:13 am
Severus wrote:
I was visiting a open house in an upscale area of town.  There was a 3000sf home with a combination of wood floors, tile, and low pile carpeting (looked almost like commercial carpeting with a nice design), and lo and behold inside the hall closet was an Oreck XL21.   For this type of flooring, the Oreck is a pretty good match. 

My observation too SEVERUS.  These homeowners are the ORECK brand's bread and butter.  Interesting too that the XL21 comes with the longest ORECK warranty: 20 years.   ORECK is first class in honoring this warranty and serving these customers as well as they possibly can.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #69   Dec 20, 2009 9:23 am
CarmineD wrote:
My observation too SEVERUS.  These homeowners are the ORECK brand's bread and butter.  Interesting too that the XL21 comes with the longest ORECK warranty: 20 years.   ORECK is first class in honoring this warranty and serving these customers as well as they possibly can.

Carmine D.

Severus wrote:

I frequently visit a very close relative who has a 9,000 + sq ft home.  He has very expensive tile, wood and carpet.  Not the commercial grade i/o looking stuff.  Also lots of expensive area rugs.  They use a Dyson rather than the built in vac.  No Orecks in a reall upscale house.

All that you said about the Oreck Carmine does not relate to cleaning performance.

This message was modified Dec 20, 2009 by HARDSELL
HARDSELL

Reply #70   Dec 20, 2009 9:31 am
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

I really think you are disappointed and/or sad that your sold your DC07 [supposedly its signature model by your account] and its discontinued now never to be made and sold again.  You're having seller's remorse.  You compensate for your poor judgement by attacking ORECK and HOOVER, both brands with their signature models [Classic and WT] still sold pervasively at retailers and stores.

If it makes you feel worse, ORECK now is also gifting a toy ORECK vacuum with all purchases starting Dec 19.  Gotta get me at least one of those for the grands.  In my experience, it's an ORECK first.

Carmine D.

Carmine,  I have no disappointments or remorse about selling the DC07.  Unlike you I used the Oreck prior to the DC07 and was sadly disappointed in the Oreck.  You OTH criticized Dyson long before owning one.  I suppose that preconceived idea was in part a reason you did not like your DC07.  You started personal attacks on Dyson without ever using one.  I did have experience before defending the Dyson.  Of course noe of the manufacturers have ever damaged my back side as Dyson did yours.

Maybe a first to give a free toy with the toys that they sell.

CarmineD

Reply #71   Dec 20, 2009 2:51 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Carmine,  I have no disappointments or remorse about selling the DC07.  Unlike you I used the Oreck prior to the DC07 and was sadly disappointed in the Oreck.  You OTH criticized Dyson long before owning one.  I suppose that preconceived idea was in part a reason you did not like your DC07.  You started personal attacks on Dyson without ever using one.  I did have experience before defending the Dyson.  Of course noe of the manufacturers have ever damaged my back side as Dyson did yours.

Maybe a first to give a free toy with the toys that they sell.

HS:

If your highlighted statement is true, then I believe you were not all that impressed with dyson's DC07.  After all, one does not sell their treasures, let alone their assets without good reasons.  

BTW, I owned and used dyson's DC07 long before the ORECK Classic.  Dyson didn't work on my carpets.  Gawdawful clutch and floating head are not what wool medium pile carpets call for.  Went for a new ORECK thanks in large part to your bad mouthing.  Having been in the business, tho never selling new ORECK's, I was always impressed by the compliments that ORECK customers had for their ORECK's.  So I was surprised by your attacks of it.  So when I had the opportunity I bought one for $150.  ORECK works fine and has for over 2 years.  In fact I bought 3 more just like it.  You keep what works and you like using and share with others.  If I can finagle a toy ORECK for the grands then what more can I ask for Christmas.

Carmine D. 

Severus

Reply #72   Dec 21, 2009 3:41 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
I frequently visit a very close relative who has a 9,000 + sq ft home.  He has very expensive tile, wood and carpet.  Not the commercial grade i/o looking stuff.  Also lots of expensive area rugs.  They use a Dyson rather than the built in vac.  No Orecks in a reall upscale house.

All that you said about the Oreck Carmine does not relate to cleaning performance.

Hardsell,

Wow - 9000 sf.    Are you related to a country music star or Al Gore? 

HARDSELL

Reply #73   Dec 21, 2009 4:42 pm
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

If your highlighted statement is true, then I believe you were not all that impressed with dyson's DC07.  After all, one does not sell their treasures, let alone their assets without good reasons.  

BTW, I owned and used dyson's DC07 long before the ORECK Classic.  Dyson didn't work on my carpets.  Gawdawful clutch and floating head are not what wool medium pile carpets call for.  Went for a new ORECK thanks in large part to your bad mouthing.  Having been in the business, tho never selling new ORECK's, I was always impressed by the compliments that ORECK customers had for their ORECK's.  So I was surprised by your attacks of it.  So when I had the opportunity I bought one for $150.  ORECK works fine and has for over 2 years.  In fact I bought 3 more just like it.  You keep what works and you like using and share with others.  If I can finagle a toy ORECK for the grands then what more can I ask for Christmas.

Carmine D. 

I do not consider a vacuum to be a treasure or an asset.  It is simply another tool around the house.  They are simply a hobby to pass time.  I was and still am impressed with the DC07. At least as impressed as I can be with a vacuum.  I bought a new Electrolux in 1973 which I am sure is still worth more than the DC07.  Still no regrets.

I once owned a car (1968) that was one of 476 built that year.  It had no special value back then.  Today they sell for upwards of half a million and are not as rare as the one I owned.  I do have regrets of selling that one. 

I don't know the difference in your medium pile and mine, however the DC07 never had a clutch problem after 3 years of use.  I did use the DC07 on some expensive wool carpet in an elderly aunts home with no problem.

You might be surprised at what isn't working if you did a deep cleaning.

Anyway,  a MERRY CHRISTMAS  to you and the family. 

May God bless all.

CarmineD

Reply #74   Dec 21, 2009 7:09 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
I do not consider a vacuum to be a treasure or an asset.  It is simply another tool around the house.  They are simply a hobby to pass time.  I was and still am impressed with the DC07. At least as impressed as I can be with a vacuum.  I bought a new Electrolux in 1973 which I am sure is still worth more than the DC07.  Still no regrets.

I once owned a car (1968) that was one of 476 built that year.  It had no special value back then.  Today they sell for upwards of half a million and are not as rare as the one I owned.  I do have regrets of selling that one. 

I don't know the difference in your medium pile and mine, however the DC07 never had a clutch problem after 3 years of use.  I did use the DC07 on some expensive wool carpet in an elderly aunts home with no problem.

May God bless all.

HS:

And therein is the difference.  A good tool is an asset never to be lent or borrowed.  In my business more vacuums were in need of repair after lending and borrowing.  Not a wise practice.

Learned today that grand baby number 4 is on the way.  Grand daughter number 3 broke the Dirt Devil toy vacuum handle last night after it survived her two older sisters for more than 3 years.  A new toy ORECK is needed for sure now.

Merry Christmas to you and yours. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #75   Dec 22, 2009 6:46 am
Severus wrote:
Hardsell,

Wow - 9000 sf.    Are you related to a country music star or Al Gore? 

Too funny SEVERUS!  

Carmine D. 

CarmineD

Reply #76   Dec 22, 2009 6:56 am
HS:

BTW, I have upgraded rug padding which in concert with the looped medium wool pile was a disaster for dyson's DC07.  The brush bar stalled constantly and the ratcheting noise drove the dog and Wife out of the house.   Dyson's HELPLINE admitted that a dyson would not work after several workarounds, removing the soleplate upper and lower gaskets, and told me to return it.  Not even buy another dyson.  [September 2006] I also mentioned that the builder's rug contractor gave similar warnings at a homeowners meeting about 3 weeks after I made the dyson purchase.  Our community has about 2400 houses in the community and many went with upgraded carpeting and padding.  The homeowners who did and bought/gifted dysons had the same problems.

BTW, FYI, I received a tax assessment from the county.  For the 2 straight year, my property taxes in Las Vegas have been lowered due to decline in home/land values.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #77   Dec 22, 2009 7:27 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

May God bless all.

HS:

There is a very simple and easy process to determine if your vacuum is deep down cleaning.  Even you can do it.  Venson has posted this before here so he gets the credit.  You get down on your knees up close and personal with your rugs/carpets.  You separate the pile with your fingers and look at the rug backing.  If it's clean with no dirt and debris imbedded at the bottom of the pile, your vacuum is working properly and doing its job.  Repeat the process on different areas of your rugs and carpets to inspect the results.  If you find dirt and debris there, it's time to get started vacuuming and/or opt for a vacuum that works properly.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 22, 2009 by CarmineD
Severus

Reply #78   Dec 23, 2009 11:04 pm
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

There is a very simple and easy process to determine if your vacuum is deep down cleaning.  Even you can do it.  Venson has posted this before here so he gets the credit.  You get down on your knees up close and personal with your rugs/carpets.  You separate the pile with your fingers and look at the rug backing.  If it's clean with no dirt and debris imbedded at the bottom of the pile, your vacuum is working properly and doing its job.  Repeat the process on different areas of your rugs and carpets to inspect the results.  If you find dirt and debris there, it's time to get started vacuuming and/or opt for a vacuum that works properly.

Carmine D.

HS,

If you're feeling lonely, another option is to call up the local Rainbow salesman and get a "free" demo.  They'll be glad to vacuum your rugs.  It's actually quite fun if you have a good vacuum, and they fail to get anything significant out of your rugs.   The Rainbow salesman was very frustrated when he visited.   The SOB actually did something to try to sabotage my vacuum bag. 

earthworm

Labels are for things, not man.

Reply #79   Dec 28, 2009 1:00 am
IMO, any product that is sold over the TV, particularly using infomercials, is suspect..

The Garry must be a Chinese knock off of the Oreck.

We need reform in communications, advertising, business, education....

CarmineD

Reply #80   Dec 28, 2009 6:48 am
earthworm wrote:
IMO, any product that is sold over the TV, particularly using infomercials, is suspect..

Hello Earthworm:

If Garry is a Chinese sourced vacuum, the Corp is incorporated in the USA which is comparable to other vacuum makers and sellers in the USA.  This info excerpted from the Carpet and Rug Institute Web Site about Garry and the company.  The ancient Romans said it best in their native latin langauge:  Caveat Emptor......Buyer beware.

Carmine D.

Garry Ultralight Vacuum Garry Vacuum, LLC
Lake Balboa, CA
800-443-9854
Visit Website

This message was modified Dec 28, 2009 by CarmineD
Severus

Reply #81   Dec 29, 2009 10:41 am
earthworm wrote:

Innovation and quality can come from small companies who don't have the capital to get products into the stores.     The buyer should always beware of things that are too good to be true.   Understanding the return policy is the responsibility of the consumer.    Oreck has name recognition and a reputation of generous returns.   Oreck has done fairly well in Consumer Reports testing.  Unfortunately for Garry, they did not.  Given the lack of history of the Garry brand, the lackluster review by Consumer Reports may be fatal to Garry -unless they make some modifications. 

Severus

Reply #82   Jan 3, 2010 2:04 am
the Garry Ultra Light get's a mention on page 18 of the February 2010 edition of Consumer Reports.   It's a nice review article about products sold by infomercial. 

CarmineD

Reply #83   Jan 3, 2010 6:35 am
Severus wrote:
the Garry Ultra Light get's a mention on page 18 of the February 2010 edition of Consumer Reports.   It's a nice review article about products sold by infomercial. 

Sounds like a worth while read.

Thanks.

Carmine D.

vintagef1

Reply #84   Jan 5, 2010 7:18 pm
Oh boy , what a stupid thing buying a vac from a informercial ,this Garry Vac is a piece of junk I'm on my 2 nd one in a month and a half period . When I called customer service to ask where the return label is the "foreign " guy said right. when I said I have no label ? Long story short he hung up on me??? Called back and this time the rep was more curtious and had a head on her shoulders. I pay for the shipping this time it's on me to send the freaking vac back to Ca from North Carolina.

If it fails again it goes in the trash can .........period !
Venson

Reply #85   Jan 6, 2010 6:37 am
CarmineD wrote:
Sounds like a worth while read.

Thanks.

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

Read it.  The really good part is where CR says that the Garry is a lightweight in more ways than one . . .

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #86   Jan 6, 2010 6:45 am
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

Read it.  The really good part is where CR says that the Garry is a lightweight in more ways than one . . .

Venson

Hi Venson:

I will, thanks.  Obviously the product has quality control problems. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #87   Jan 6, 2010 7:49 am
vintagef1 wrote:
Oh boy , what a stupid thing buying a vac from a informercial ,this Garry Vac is a piece of junk I'm on my 2 nd one in a month and a half period . When I called customer service to ask where the return label is the "foreign " guy said right. when I said I have no label ? Long story short he hung up on me??? Called back and this time the rep was more curtious and had a head on her shoulders. I pay for the shipping this time it's on me to send the freaking vac back to Ca from North Carolina.

If it fails again it goes in the trash can .........period !

Hi vintagef1,

Garry buyers like most other shoppers are out to save and in that I can't fault them.  You live and you learn.  Matter of fact, maybe we should be thanking Garry for disproving -- "If it's on TV or in the newspapers, it must be true."  Garry's claims versus customer dissatisfaction serve as an object lesson.

TV and the internet -- maybe more so the internet as TV will be integrated into streaming media not too far down the line -- are major sources by which "peddlers" of just about anything may access to the public.  .

As for the Garry return policy, I strongly advise that owners first count up the  cleaner's original cost plus whatever they may have spent on "free" bag shipments and then decide. If your outlay has been small why bother beating a dead horse for something that doesn't work or last?

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #88   Jan 7, 2010 6:36 am
Severus wrote:
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

Venson

SEVERUS, VENson:

Thanks.  Have and read the latest Consumer Reports and enjoyed the perspective. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 7, 2010 by CarmineD
vacmanuk

Reply #89   Jan 9, 2010 1:51 pm
The thing is guys, it doesn't matter what Oreck makes these days that is truly "theirs," and truly someone elses designs. Take their commercial upright for example, its based on Sebo's BS 36/46 series commercial uprights and Oreck haven't been the first to put their name on someone else's model - they have a cordless upright vac in the UK at the moment, mini looking thing that is also a corded model, Chinese built and seen on UK shopping network cable channels. It is also a design that Electrolux are currently using and at the end of the day where vacs are concerned, if they are made in China/PRC you can bet that despite it carrying a recognisable brand name you might know, it could well be put out to pasture by other brands. CR reports are one thing and they will reflect the actual usage of the model in question rather than what the brand represents. I notice that Oreck also have an upright steam cleaner in the US and in the UK it isn't carried by Oreck here, but rather Chinese company Home-Tek, a brand you guys may not have heard of in the U.S. Home-tek products do work but their quality for the most part leaves a lot to be desired. Last year I purchased their red "Light N Easy," bagged upright. It's so like an old Oreck XL I was surprised that they didn't copy the high filter bag factors. You can see the Hometek here: http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/_Light+%27n%27+Easy+Vacuum+Cleaner?o=335110086&s=395589&
CarmineD

Reply #90   Jan 10, 2010 7:01 am
vacmanuk wrote:
The thing is guys, it doesn't matter what Oreck makes these days that is truly "theirs," and truly someone elses designs. Take their commercial upright for example, its based on Sebo's BS 36/46 series commercial uprights and Oreck haven't been the first to put their name on someone else's model - they have a cordless upright vac in the UK at the moment, mini looking thing that is also a corded model, Chinese built and seen on UK shopping network cable channels. It is also a design that Electrolux are currently using and at the end of the day where vacs are concerned, if they are made in China/PRC you can bet that despite it carrying a recognisable brand name you might know, it could well be put out to pasture by other brands. CR reports are one thing and they will reflect the actual usage of the model in question rather than what the brand represents. I notice that Oreck also have an upright steam cleaner in the US and in the UK it isn't carried by Oreck here, but rather Chinese company Home-Tek, a brand you guys may not have heard of in the U.S. Home-tek products do work but their quality for the most part leaves a lot to be desired. Last year I purchased their red "Light N Easy," bagged upright. It's so like an old Oreck XL I was surprised that they didn't copy the high filter bag factors. You can see the Hometek here: http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/_Light+%27n%27+Easy+Vacuum+Cleaner?o=335110086&s=395589&

Vacmanuk:

What is the quintessential ORECK icon/standard is its lightweight upright.  It is ORECK.  It has identified ORECK in the vacuum industry for almost 50 years.  By association, anthing with the ORECK name, like the halo UVC upright, has the ORECK identity.  That is priceless.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #91   Jan 10, 2010 5:21 pm
Ah. A bit like Ford's legendary safety record with the Ford PINTO.
CarmineD

Reply #92   Jan 10, 2010 8:59 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Ah. A bit like Ford's legendary safety record with the Ford PINTO.

Only if FORD Pinto were a vacuum and not a car and then with a huge caveat.  Tho FORD Pinto had a long, storied and staried production and sales record it is not even close to ORECK's lightweight upright which, after almost 50 years, is still going strong.

Carmine D.

Severus

Reply #93   Jan 11, 2010 12:35 am
vacmanuk wrote:

I've also noticed Sanitaire and other vacuums being relabeled as Orecks.  What Oreck, at least in the US, can sell is service after the sale.    David Oreck is a master salesman.   

CarmineD

Reply #94   Jan 11, 2010 6:45 am
Severus wrote:
I've also noticed Sanitaire and other vacuums being relabeled as Orecks.  What Oreck, at least in the US, can sell is service after the sale.    David Oreck is a master salesman.   

SEVERUS:

David has passed the reigns of ORECK spokesperson over to his daughter in law Judy Oreck.  She is no David.  He is an industry icon.

Carmine D. 

HARDSELL

Reply #95   Jan 11, 2010 8:21 am
CarmineD wrote:
SEVERUS:

David has passed the reigns of ORECK spokesperson over to his daughter in law Judy Oreck.  She is no David.  He is an industry con.

Carmine D. 

artist ???
This message was modified Jan 11, 2010 by HARDSELL
CarmineD

Reply #96   Jan 11, 2010 8:35 am
HARDSELL wrote:
artist ???

HS:

In the case of David Oreck and all faces and/or names that are integrally associated with their business reputations and products there is a huge divide between integrity and con artistry.  The divide is years and years of reputable business sales and service.   The chasm is so wide there is no connection.  Like Lazarus in hell and the triumphant souls in heaven, never the twain shall meet.  Of course, for one like you to comprehend this notion of icon integrity, you have to know and follow the rules that govern the "right" side of the divide [read thruthful].   I suggest once again, if you haven't already, that you start by reading Jon Huntsman's book: Winners never cheat. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 11, 2010 by CarmineD
Replies: 1 - 96 of 96View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42