Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Garry Ultra Light Upright Vacuum

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
CarmineD

Garry Ultra Light Upright Vacuum
Original Message   Jun 4, 2009 1:02 pm
New lightweight with OBT in town for $250 with free bags for life and zero cost maintenance warranty for life.  Anything goes wrong, a new vacuun is shipped to you.  

http://www.garryvac.com/

Taking a page from ORECK on the giveaways:  Free Steam Mop to keep if not satisfied with purchase and returned.

https://www.garryvacuum.com/order_form.html?country=CA

Comments?

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 4, 2009 by CarmineD
Replies: 3 - 12 of 96Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
retardturtle1

Re: Garry Ultra Light Upright Vacuum
Reply #3   Jun 4, 2009 2:07 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Here's what's been said by consumers on the Consumer Reports Site:

http://discussions.consumerreports.org/n/pfx/forum.aspx?msg=144.1&nav=messages&webtag=cr-vaccuums

Carmine D.

hi carmine
well i gotta say i like the look....makes you wonder if its an oreck?...or is  it an oreck body with an ametek motor....a couple weeks ago i searched the web a little bit to see if i could dig up some other info on the g-vac....but found nothing.....mabye one will come in the shop and then i can check it out closer.....so tell me mr.carmine....what are your thoughts and or findings?
Venson

Reply #4   Jun 4, 2009 2:58 pm
Hi Carmine,

They've reduced the price to $200 (4 x $49.95) but the devil's in the details. Shipping for the vac is $40.00 which I think is excessive for a 9 lb. machine that should weigh no more than 12 or 13 lbs. after its crated up for UPS. The steam mop is "free" but they want an additional $30.00 to ship that. I can only assume that the $70.00 for shipping is inflated to cover the free bags that they say they'll provide.

A consistent point raised in the consumer reviews was the high noise factor. Personally, I'd go with your original idea for a low-cost upright and look around for one of the original Halos for a hundred bucks or less. Forgetting the UV thing, it is also lightweight and has onboard attachments too.

Best,

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #5   Jun 4, 2009 4:40 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
hi carmine
well i gotta say i like the look....makes you wonder if its an oreck?...or is  it an oreck body with an ametek motor....a couple weeks ago i searched the web a little bit to see if i could dig up some other info on the g-vac....but found nothing.....mabye one will come in the shop and then i can check it out closer.....so tell me mr.carmine....what are your thoughts and or findings?

Hello retardturtle1:

No direct findings yet.  Serious doubts about the tool suction.  Small motors like this, while good for direct drive uprights on carpets, lack the umph for tool suction.  Interesting marketing techniques.  Going after the ORECK market which we noted was better than other brands in last year's consumer spending slump.  Garry thinks it can compete against ORECK.  But with only months in the business, vice ORECK's half century, I have my doubts there too.  Looks cheaper and less durable than the ORECK-s.  Tho I would like to be proved wrong if I am.  Have to test one out up close and personal.  And I will certainly discuss the Garry with ORECK when I get the call for the Steam It!

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #6   Jun 4, 2009 4:43 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

They've reduced the price to $200 (4 x $49.95) but the devil's in the details. Shipping for the vac is $40.00 which I think is excessive for a 9 lb. machine that should weigh no more than 12 or 13 lbs. after its crated up for UPS. The steam mop is "free" but they want an additional $30.00 to ship that. I can only assume that the $70.00 for shipping is inflated to cover the free bags that they say they'll provide.

A consistent point raised in the consumer reviews was the high noise factor. Personally, I'd go with your original idea for a low-cost upright and look around for one of the original Halos for a hundred bucks or less. Forgetting the UV thing, it is also lightweight and has onboard attachments too.

Best,

Venson

Hi Venson:

Excellent observations.  Must agree with you.  The concept of tools on board if they work well should be enough to compete well with ORECK and RICCAR/Simplicity.  My hunch is that the tool suction is poor and just a sales gimmick to trump the others.  Have to wait and see what gives.  Halo is still the winner as you said at $99.

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #7   Jun 4, 2009 8:09 pm
hi carmineCarmineD wrote:
Hello retardturtle1:

No direct findings yet.  Serious doubts about the tool suction.  Small motors like this, while good for direct drive uprights on carpets, lack the umph for tool suction.  Interesting marketing techniques.  Going after the ORECK market which we noted was better than other brands in last year's consumer spending slump.  Garry thinks it can compete against ORECK.  But with only months in the business, vice ORECK's half century, I have my doubts there too.  Looks cheaper and less durable than the ORECK-s.  Tho I would like to be proved wrong if I am.  Have to test one out up close and personal.  And I will certainly discuss the Garry with ORECK when I get the call for the Steam It!

Carmine D.

looking forward to getting the lowdown on the g-vac......but if i was gonna spend that kinda money ..id add 30 bucks to it and get that hoover anniv. platinum  combo...you know the one...at SEARS 14.99.....heard nothing but great things from people that own them...and i gotta say the g-vac does look like the platinum oreck...really nice and a loud vac never really bothered me as long as it did a really good job...i like the orecks,,,does what i need it to do.....just not quietly..hahahaha
dusty

Reply #8   Jun 5, 2009 12:12 am
CarmineD

Reply #9   Jun 5, 2009 7:16 am
Good commercial!  Thnaks for posting the link, Dusty.

CArmine D.

Venson

Reply #10   Jun 5, 2009 7:52 am
Thanks Dusty. I got a grin out if it as I was surprised that other brand names were actually called out. Most of the biggies use a more round-about approach.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #11   Jun 5, 2009 8:46 am
Venson wrote:
Thanks Dusty. I got a grin out if it as I was surprised that other brand names were actually called out. Most of the biggies use a more round-about approach.

Venson

Dusty, Venson et al:

I understand the very same Garry Vacuum commercial is used here in the USA too.  Have a strange feeling that a few of the former ORECK employees with inside information who didn't make the move with ORECK to Tennessee after the New Orleans Headquarters was hit by Katrina, decided to join forces and go solo.  They got some money backers and are trying their hand at the vacuum market.  Just a hunch.

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #12   Jun 5, 2009 2:24 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Dusty, Venson et al:

I understand the very same Garry Vacuum commercial is used here in the USA too.  Have a strange feeling that a few of the former ORECK employees with inside information who didn't make the move with ORECK to Tennessee after the New Orleans Headquarters was hit by Katrina, decided to join forces and go solo.  They got some money backers and are trying their hand at the vacuum market.  Just a hunch.

Carmine D.

hi carmine

it does make you wonder tho....i mean...if they could match orecks quality with a motor that lasts about 5-10 years or so with better performance at a fraction of the cost...then i would say it might just dip into oreck and riccars sales....might even get oreck to realize there vacs are pretty steep in price....i really like them and would recomend them to anyone ....just hard to overlook the price.
Replies: 3 - 12 of 96Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42