Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > The radical - Dyson, DDM DC22 to launch at VDTA. Pre-filter maintence schedule date - yr. 2016.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

The radical - Dyson, DDM DC22 to launch at VDTA. Pre-filter maintence schedule date - yr. 2016.
Original Message   Mar 7, 2009 4:21 pm
~ The DDM DC22 (TurboHead & MotorHead) arrives in the U.S. ~

James Dyson and his team invent another revolutionary vacuum and invent another Dyson only market segment.

• Pre-motor filter to be washed once every seven years.
  • The on/off button lights red when it's time to clean pre-motor filter.
  • The pre-motor filter is large and fits AROUND the motor.

• The DDM is extremely powerful.
  • The DDM can/will outlast its user.
  • The DDM automatically shuts off when airflow is interrupted for more than 10 seconds.
  • The Hepa filter AFTER the motor will never turn black with carbon dust and never needs attention.
  • Controls are in the hose handle.
  • A DC05 MotorHead-like power nozzle.  Telescopic wand.
  • A very cool bare floor nozzle, and very cool full sized attachments (which store on the hose).
Update...
  • Exclusive:  Patented Dyson Digital Motor, very powerful!, unique and strong sounding.  Should/could last a lifetime (your lifetime).
  • Exclusive:  Little or possibly no pre-filter maintenance if bin is emptied as recommended.
  • Exclusive:  Patented Telescopic Wand:  Lightweight, plastic, very strong.
  • Exclusive:  Filtration - Core + Root Technology, w/ 21 high efficiency cyclones.
  • Motor burn out:  If airflow is cut off, if pre-filter clogs (prematurely or after many, many years of use) - motor shuts down and a signal light illuminates.
  • Size:  Small, DC05 - like.  Compacts down via the patented TW.
  • Controls:  In handle, power on/off, hi/lo speeds, brush on/off.
  • Retail:  $799.  Sold exclusively through independent Dyson dealers where the vacuum can be properly demonstrated and it’s benefits explained.

This message was modified Mar 12, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 175 - 184 of 184Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: The radical - Dyson, DDM DC22 to launch at VDTA. Pre-filter maintence schedule date - yr. 2016.
Reply #175   Apr 17, 2009 2:42 pm
Trilobite wrote:
. . . How do you find the Miele? Is it easy to manoeuvre? Does it follow a straight line as you push it forward? Does it raise the carpet pile properly, like the old Hoovers did?</p><p>Although I don't possess an S7, the thing that appeals to me most is the variable suction control. I don't understand why  the likes of Hoover UK and Electrolux make powerful uprights<BR>that can't have their power turned down for delicate materials. There aren't even any suction / air-bleed regulators. The only other upright that I've recently seen was a <BR>Morphy Richards, but they don't get a good report.</p><p>I've been watching the forum for a little while. Some of the humour here is dry to say the least; almost bordering upon the acidic.

Hi,

I'm pretty good.

In answer to one question, there is some sort of "stop" that keeps the handle straight while the machine is in storage position (totally upright) and as you first lower it. Also, the machine won't lock into storage position unless the handle is standing straight. A good thing as balance would be thrown off.

My S7 does well on both low and high pile carpeting and gives out a reassuring old-time Hoover hum when the brush roll is working. It grooms as well as any good upright I have owned or seen -- including latter Kirby Gs which are my benchmark for thoroughness and effectiveness. The electronic variable suction facility is most helpful as you have about six or so settings to choose from. The only odd thing is that when the machine is set on "automatic" the machine reacts to suction impediment by lowering speed. There is no dust sensor in any of these uprights. That's neither a plus or minus.

To me, maneuverability is quite good. As I mentioned prior, I'm not out to run a slalom course with it but the S7 handles in a most convenient way when you want to get into corners or partway under or around objects you would not usually move during everyday cleaning. There is no wobble when making plain old straight passes. I may have misquoted this in a prior post but a twist of the handle allows you to angle the cleaning head about 45-degrees. A slight swing of the handle will position the head at about 90-degrees with little effort.

I sure Miele has an answer for this but I am used to one thing different. As an instance, my Kenmore bagless canister (the LG clone)has an automatic setting plus a dust sensor. In automatic mode the cleaner runs at a moderate speed and steps up power only when it senses a significant amount of dust in its air stream. Way cool I think though there are other people who prefer to have the machine running at a constant speed.

I totally agree about the lack of potentially helpful features on a lot of machines and wonder how much do manufacturers anticipate as proper remuneration per each convenience they may install on a specific model. Rest assured that money is most likely what the provision or lack of certain conveniences is all about. Nonetheless, this is where I get confused.

Kenmore, not necessarily loved by all but still a highly viable brand sales-wise here in the U.S., slaps conveniences aplenty -- dust sensors, cleaning wands with guide lights, electronically fitted hose-ends, special attachments, etc., on many of its high-end vacuums and until just of late has done that at relatively moderate prices. Other more expensive brands, Miele for one, seem to sell by way of finite dust capture claims and quiet and then subsequently sell the client more "convenience (additional tools, varied dust bag and filter types) as an option.

In my heart of heart of hearts I believe that the devices for speed adjustment, etc., probably only cost about half-a-dollar each to make and thus I can't see why you don't see more of the like included on more vacuums.

Then again that's how business works. I once knew an elderly lady who'd had a restaurant and had specialized in selling barbeque and other things. One of her big sellers was Polish sausage. She informed me that she never sold portions of sausage cut straight across. She cut portions on the diagonal to make it appear to the buyer he or she was getting more than they actually were.

It's sometimes the same with the makers of goods of all sorts -- they seldom set out to give more they just have to.

Venson
Trilobite

Re: The radical - Dyson, DDM DC22 to launch at VDTA. Pre-filter maintence schedule date - yr. 2016.
Reply #176   Apr 17, 2009 4:00 pm
Your mention of the automatic setting reducing the suction, rings a bell.

I think Hoover UK a few years ago, had an automatic setting on their top-flight cylinder bagged model (was it the 'Sensory' series?). As far as I know, there will probably be an air-pressure sensor that detects 'loss of airflow', thus causing the motor speed to be reduced.

I've an odd feeling that there was a Hoover before the 'Sensory' range, that did the same thing (was it one of the later 'Sensotronics' or the succeeding 'Alpinas'?)

CarmineD

Reply #177   Apr 17, 2009 4:31 pm
Trilobite wrote:

the thing that appeals to me most is the variable suction control. I don't understand why  the likes of Hoover UK and Electrolux make powerful uprights
that can't have their power turned down for delicate materials. There aren't even any suction / air-bleed regulators. The only other upright that I've recently seen was a
Morphy Richards, but they don't get a good report.

I mentioned that I have a $50 sourced HOOVER straight suction compact cann.  It has a rheostat suction regulator.  Works great for reducing suction to customize cleaning to my household needs. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #178   Apr 17, 2009 6:16 pm
Trilobite wrote:
Your mention of the automatic setting reducing the suction, rings a bell.

I think Hoover UK a few years ago, had an automatic setting on their top-flight cylinder bagged model (was it the 'Sensory' series?). As far as I know, there will probably be an air-pressure sensor that detects 'loss of airflow', thus causing the motor speed to be reduced.</p><p>I've an odd feeling that there was a Hoover before the 'Sensory' range, that did the same thing (was it one of the later 'Sensotronics' or the succeeding 'Alpinas'?)

If memory serves me correctly, we had a spin-off of the automatic European Hoover canister that have arrived around the very late 70s/early 80s. It was brown in color. Hoover later followed up with the Dimension canister series in the 1980s the top of the line model upped motor speed when suction was challenged. Naturally I bought one of those too. What I liked was that you could let it run at whatever the middle speed was and the machine would up speed as the bag filled.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #179   Apr 18, 2009 7:21 am
Venson wrote:

I once knew an elderly lady who'd had a restaurant and had specialized in selling barbeque and other things. One of her big sellers was Polish sausage. She informed me that she never sold portions of sausage cut straight across. She cut portions on the diagonal to make it appear to the buyer he or she was getting more than they actually were.

Venson

I love it!  The Polish sausage and the lady's method to cut. 

BTW, reminds me of Will Roger's quip that the American people are best served if they never see how sausage is made and Congress passes a law!

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 18, 2009 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #180   May 15, 2009 12:20 pm
To add the "After Words" on this thread, Acerone and iMacDaddy posted that the dyson DDM DC22 is gone from the USA dyson Web Site.  The best kept secret in the vacuum industry in 2009.  Now even more.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #181   May 15, 2009 2:06 pm
The best kept secret is...    the greater majority of vacuum manufacturers (many are global giants) look to Dyson for inventive direction.  Dyson is carrying (almost entirely) the vacuum cleaner [new inventions] industry.

DIB

CarmineD

Reply #182   May 15, 2009 2:53 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
The best kept secret is...    the greater majority of vacuum manufacturers (many are global giants) look to Dyson for inventive direction.  Dyson is carrying (almost entirely) the vacuum cleaner [new inventions] industry.

DIB

DIB:

That's funny...thanks for the best laugh I've gotten from your posts in quite awhile. 

Other laughs include these innovative vacuum ideas:  dyson DC07 upright with noisey repair prone clutch, dyson DC11 canister with sputtering rug power nozzle, dyson DC14 upright with noisey repair prone clutch revisited [dah?], dyson DC15 Ball upright [what can I say except that you bought one for $300 vice an MSRP of $599], dyson DC16 handheld for $150 to $200 with a long 5 minute run time, dealer dyson DC22 canister with digital motor and itty bitty 9 inch power nozzle for $700, and time only will tell what other inventions come and go with a final vacuum industry farewell:  Here lies another innovative vacuum technology from dyson:  May they all RIP.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #183   May 15, 2009 5:51 pm
CarmineD wrote:
DIB:

That's funny...thanks for the best laugh I've gotten from your posts in quite awhile. 

Other laughs include these innovative vacuum ideas:  dyson DC07 upright with noisey repair prone clutch, dyson DC11 canister with sputtering rug power nozzle, dyson DC14 upright with noisey repair prone clutch revisited [dah?], dyson DC15 Ball upright [what can I say except that you bought one for $300 vice an MSRP of $599], dyson DC16 handheld for $150 to $200 with a long 5 minute run time, dealer dyson DC22 canister with digital motor and itty bitty 9 inch power nozzle for $700, and time only will tell what other inventions come and go with a final vacuum industry farewell:  Here lies another innovative vacuum technology from dyson:  May they all RIP.

Carmine D.

Carmine,

Unfortunately many Americans lost their jobs at Hoover in-part because the [then] Hoover-suits refused to predict what consumers wanted and/or did not reverse engineer Dyson fast enough.  TTI has no such troubles (or conscious), and openly take what is not theirs - Dyson’s engineering and Dyson’s discoveries and Dyson’s marketing and Dyson’s market share.  TTI Hoover is alive only because they copy the products, creativity (and man) you laugh at.

DIB
This message was modified May 15, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #184   May 15, 2009 10:03 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Carmine,

Unfortunately many Americans lost their jobs at Hoover in-part because the [then] Hoover-suits refused to predict what consumers wanted and/or did not reverse engineer Dyson fast enough.  TTI has no such troubles (or conscious), and openly take what is not theirs - Dyson’s engineering and Dyson’s discoveries and Dyson’s marketing and Dyson’s market share.  TTI Hoover is alive only because they copy the products, creativity (and man) you laugh at.

DIB

No, DIB.  HOOVER TTI's sales success is no different than any other company's success in good/bad economic times.  HOOVER TTI produces affordable, mainstream vacuums that perform better than most of the premium priced brands sold in the big box retailers today like your favorite vacuum brand.   Fueling the overpricing of your brand's products, is your brilliant founder's personal and professional penchant to squander valuable company resources on failed products/endeavors unrelated to its core vacuum business: The silly contra rotating washing machines, restroom hand dryers, and a high school with his name to stroke his ego.  In case you haven't noticed, dyson products with the innovative technologies are biting the dust [rather than sucking it up] quicker than you can snap your fingers.  The latest one you heralded on this thread, dyson's dealer canister for $799 with radical digital motor technology, which you boasted on March 7, 2009 "can/will outlast its user," is DOA:  dead on arrival.  Check the posts here.  I told you so.

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 15, 2009 by CarmineD
Replies: 175 - 184 of 184Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42