Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > TriStar MG2 Question...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
lazaruspup

TriStar MG2 Question...
Original Message   Dec 13, 2008 7:16 pm
OK, second post, woo hoo! LOL! So I stopped in at the local vac shop today and was telling him I was looking for something light and easy to use for my mom since we are retiring her Dyson DC07. She likes canister vacs and he showed me a few Simplicity models as well as a Riccar. He also showed me the high end which was a Lux Guardian. I told him I wanted something that was going to last a LONG TIME because I didn't want to have to buy her another vacuum in four years or so. He went to the back and brought out a used, albeit VERY NEW looking, TriStar MG2. Now I remember being just a tyke and my grandparents had a TriStar, the old black one with silver accents. It was a great old machine and us grandkids loved vacuuming with it. He offered me a great deal with this new MG2. He said some local folks were in need of cash and brought it in. He offered to warranty it for a year and said he had cleaned it thoroughly. It seemed very light. Anyone have any experience with TriStars as of late? I would love to take him up on this offer, but I'm a little worried about parts being available should something break and the filtration. He said it has a charcoal/allergen filter but I can get a HEPA filter. I wonder how well this beast is sealed?? It looked fairly well built, all metal, and had gaskets around the bag compartment and filter compartment. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I told him I'd give him a heads up either way on Monday.

Drew/Lazaruspup
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Venson

Re: TriStar MG2 Question...
Reply #1   Dec 13, 2008 11:29 pm
lazaruspup wrote:
OK, second post, woo hoo! LOL! So I stopped in at the local vac shop today and was telling him I was looking for something light and easy to use for my mom since we are retiring her Dyson DC07. She likes canister vacs and he showed me a few Simplicity models as well as a Riccar. He also showed me the high end which was a Lux Guardian. I told him I wanted something that was going to last a LONG TIME because I didn't want to have to buy her another vacuum in four years or so. He went to the back and brought out a used, albeit VERY NEW looking, TriStar MG2. Now I remember being just a tyke and my grandparents had a TriStar, the old black one with silver accents. It was a great old machine and us grandkids loved vacuuming with it. He offered me a great deal with this new MG2. He said some local folks were in need of cash and brought it in. He offered to warranty it for a year and said he had cleaned it thoroughly. It seemed very light. Anyone have any experience with TriStars as of late? I would love to take him up on this offer, but I'm a little worried about parts being available should something break and the filtration. He said it has a charcoal/allergen filter but I can get a HEPA filter. I wonder how well this beast is sealed?? It looked fairly well built, all metal, and had gaskets around the bag compartment and filter compartment. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I told him I'd give him a heads up either way on Monday.

Drew/Lazaruspup

Hi,

How much is he asking?  TriStar MG2s usually run  (in the "buy-it-now" category) from $300.00 to $650.00 on eBay.  Please don't take my word for it -- check it out for yourself.  Please also note that TriStar Enterprises, L.L.C. plainly states that it will not honor warranty for any machine sold by unauthorized parties or at unauthorized locations.

Per the TriStar website, the 8.5 amp canister alone weighs a little over 13 pounds.  It's attachments though different in style still fit on and lock as Areus tolls do.  I would question the power nozzle's stability.  Although ito all appearances, it is sturdy it still uses the Aerus/Electrolux style neck which I have heard many repair people here claim as being iweak spot.

I don't know your mom's age or health status but are you sure a fully equipped canister as opposed to a light weight upright is suitable?  The TriStar should serve well enough but despite the lighte weight may prove $#%*bersome.  If your mother's household is not challenged by a lot of traffic AND if she is not much inclined to use her vacuum for more than carpet cleaning,, another choice might be more suitable.

TriStar's website is here -- http://www.tristarclean.com/

Hope that helps,

Venson
lazaruspup

Reply #2   Dec 14, 2008 12:41 am
He is wanting 350 for it and like I said, looks like it just got pulled out of the box. My mother wants a canister because she likes to clean her drapes and do her tile floors in the bath and kitchen with the floor tool. I tried to talk her into something like a Hoover Clean and Light and a little hand vac for the drapes, but she wouldn't hear of it. She wants one machine that will do it all. LOL! Her house is mostly medium pile carpet and some tile in the kitchen and bath. She is able bodied enough but has rheumatoid in her hands and doesn't care for the unhooking and unfastening of the upright hose apparatuses. She also doesn't like lifting a nearly 30 pound menacing Dyson. :) Thanks for the input.
Venson

Reply #3   Dec 14, 2008 1:21 am
Good enough.  The price is nice.  Why not take her to the shop and  let her give it a try before you commit to buying?

Best,

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #4   Dec 14, 2008 7:20 am
Venson wrote:
Good enough.  The price is nice.  Why not take her to the shop and  let her give it a try before you commit to buying?

Best,

Venson

Hello Drew:

I second Venson's above motion: Let your Mom use and peruse before buying.  I understand your Mom not wanting to use and maintain 2 vacuums and preferring one instead.  If she is the primary vacuum user, and prefers canisters, then it is what it is.  She probably feels more comfortable and at home with a canister/tank.  The TriStar will last 20 years.  It would be my choice, and I prefer uprights.  With the power head attached, the TriStar Mg2 weighs in at 25 pounds.  I recommend the HEPA filter and ask for a supply of extra bags too!  I also have to ask: Why not the new GE cann from W*M? 

However, if an upright is still possible, and the vacuum store owner/operator sells new dysons, look at the latest small Ball vacuum upright from dyson: DC24.  It's about $400 before discounts and comes with a 5 year warranty.  It weighs 12 pounds.  Very small dirt bin capacity.  Frequent bin dumping.  Consumer Reports reviewed in October 2008 and did not rate this model very high.  But lightweight vacuums, with tools on board, generally do not perform very well in either mode: upright/tool.  Rather they perform fair to middlin in both.  Your Mom will dread the bottom cord wrap too and having to wrap the cord.  The DC24 will also need regular pre/post motor filter maintenance unlike the T/S Mg2.  That may be problematic for your Mom.  Still, despite, worth a look. 

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Dec 14, 2008 by CarmineD
lazaruspup

Reply #5   Dec 14, 2008 10:46 am
Yeah thats what we are going to do, we are going to pop in on Monday and check it out together. I would go with another GE can like the new one I bought but I can't seem to find a second one, plus it isn't the greatest build quality. On the other hand if I like the TriStar after going in, I may give her the GE as she does like it a lot and take the MG2 for myself. Thanks guys!
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #6   Dec 14, 2008 2:50 pm
You will find that the Tristar is a durable machine.  I do not care for the plastic wands, because of their cheaper quality.  Bags are the basic design that has been around for decades, so they are not hard to find. Do not worry about parts, because they are easy for vac shops to stock.

The bag is going to be alittle bit messy to empty, because it is open.  The inner paper bag will have to be removed from the outer bag and tossed.  The outer filter bag should be shaken outside.

I would suggest that your relative use the GE, because it is not as hard to move around.  The power nozzle is not heavy at all.  If she has thick carpet, then I would say do not give her the GE.
CarmineD

Reply #7   Dec 14, 2008 4:12 pm
lazaruspup wrote:
On the other hand if I like the TriStar after going in, I may give her the GE as she does like it a lot and take the MG2 for myself. Thanks guys!

Hello Drew:

This would be what I would do.    You can't go wrong!

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #8   Dec 17, 2008 8:40 am
Hello Drew:

Sorry for the late post.  I noted that the Reviews section on this site has a review of the TriStar Mg2 which may be of interest to you:

http://www.abbysguide.com/vacuum/reviews/288-0-1.html

You can also page thru the Reviews section by clicking on the Reviews tab at the top of this page.

Carmine D.

Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42