Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
mole

PRICING QUESTION
Original Message   Oct 31, 2008 9:03 am
I would like to throw this question out........

If you are not a vacuum enthusiast or professional in the business.

What would you pay for a vacuum cleaner[please disregard being sold by high pressure sales or hyped promotional advertising]

$5.00, $ 20.00, $ 150.00, etc. I'M trying to see how the public in general sees this industry..........

Thanks

MOLE

Replies: 40 - 49 of 49Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: PRICING QUESTION
Reply #40   Dec 5, 2008 8:29 am
Hello MOLE, and vacuum store owners/operators:

With consumer spending at the lowest levels in 4 decades, what do you do to sell new vacuums, which I think we've established, have a fairly wide range of profitability.   Do you stand your ground and follow the manufacturers' MSRP?  Or do you take the route of the big box stores and slash prices drastically?  With no regard to MSRP and MAP?  For most of you, save maybe MOLE who has seen economic conditions like these before, perhaps not as bad, it's probably a new business playbook.  What's your game plan for now and the future?  Any thought given to the likelihood that your businesses/stores will close in the future? 

FWIW, some industry profesionals who were active posters here haven't checked in for awhile.  Maybe they are out of business and/or soon will be, sadly. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 5, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #41   Dec 5, 2008 9:20 am
Hi Carmine,in conditions like this you have to know how to adapt, we are not one dimensional,we do the whole business from sales to parts to rebuilts to centrals,all makes and models,if we dont have it you dont need it.We do not brand bash,there is no sense in it,We know how to price and give into a customer who pays CASH, Our shop rates are in line with everyone else,work is done by trained people who know how to do it right ,it s not a hobby for us,this business has been very good to me and my family.

A very close friend of mine and yours in the wholesale/retail end of the business said hes loosing 6 to 10 dealers a week,and now has most everyone on C.O.D. It has to be done this way til things loosen up a little,Credit lenders are going bust  and stopped doing business in some states.

In some ways Carmine the way things are its actually good it weeds out the posers that were in it for the quick buck.We will strive to survive,this is not a reccsion its a depression.

Sorry for the rant,but its reality.[Can i get a 34 billion bailout for running my business into the ground???????????????

MOLE

dusty

Reply #42   Dec 5, 2008 9:58 am
G'day Carmine (and Mole)

For us it's status quo, keep doing what we've been doing.  We've never been one to follow MSP to begin with.  Our pricing matches all the local department stores and our customers know this which is why they return to us over and over.  Oddly enough we've actually seen an increase in our higher end stuff as people are telling us that they're tired of throwing away vacuums after a couple of years and can't afford to be doing it anymore.  Our business also consists of Central Vacs, full repair service and a couple years ago we added hardwood / hard surface floor care products..an item that brings in many repeat customers and we all know, you can't have to many of those

Dusty
This message was modified Dec 5, 2008 by dusty
Lucky1

Reply #43   Dec 5, 2008 2:13 pm
mole wrote:
Hi Carmine,in conditions like this you have to know how to adapt, we are not one dimensional,we do the whole business from sales to parts to rebuilts to centrals,all makes and models,if we dont have it you dont need it.We do not brand bash,there is no sense in it,We know how to price and give into a customer who pays CASH, Our shop rates are in line with everyone else,work is done by trained people who know how to do it right ,it s not a hobby for us,this business has been very good to me and my family.</p><p>A very close friend of mine and yours in the wholesale/retail end of the business said hes loosing 6 to 10 dealers a week,and now has most everyone on C.O.D. It has to be done this way til things loosen up a little,Credit lenders are going bust  and stopped doing business in some states.</p><p>In some ways Carmine the way things are its actually good it weeds out the posers that were in it for the quick buck.We will strive to survive,this is not a reccsion its a depression.</p><p>Sorry for the rant,but its reality.[Can i get a 34 billion bailout for running my business into the ground???????????????</p><p>MOLE

Not unless you have a PRIVATE JET!!!!! LOL
Actionvac

Reply #44   Dec 5, 2008 3:31 pm
our business is as strong as ever the economy has still never affected us much (except central vac since building has stopped) knock on wood, my upscale vac sales is higher than ever as we are in an upper middle class area most of our customers are not your typical Wal-mart customer, with Hoover closing all its service centers and parts not available for most China vacs most people will get sick of filling up our landfills with this junk.
Venson

Reply #45   Dec 5, 2008 4:49 pm
Actionvac wrote:
. . . with Hoover closing all its service centers and parts not available for most China vacs most people will get sick of filling up our landfills with this junk.

I wonder if the "greenies" or even manufacturers might pick up on a similar pitch.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #46   Dec 6, 2008 7:39 am
Thanks all for your replies.  I enjoy reading your business and industry insights.  Your capacity to keep a sense of humor despite is remarkable.  When I see the little 3 from the big 3 grovel before Congress, I admire you and what you are going through.  Keep on keeping on. 

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #47   Dec 13, 2008 10:00 am
CarmineD wrote:
Thanks all for your replies.  I enjoy reading your business and industry insights.  Your capacity to keep a sense of humor despite is remarkable.  When I see the little 3 from the big 3 grovel before Congress, I admire you and what you are going through.  Keep on keeping on. 

Carmine D.

Yes Carmine,we are some tuff puppies,and old dogs.I would agree with ACTIONVAC, customers that have money left are buying the premium quality machines,just for the sake of  true economics,buy it once buy it right and forget about it for 15 to 20 years.What are people really saving in the long run?

Besides the landfills are already overloaded with tires now.....

MOLE

HARDSELL

Reply #48   Dec 13, 2008 5:58 pm
mole wrote:
Yes Carmine,we are some tuff puppies,and old dogs.I would agree with ACTIONVAC, customers that have money left are buying the premium quality machines,just for the sake of  true economics,buy it once buy it right and forget about it for 15 to 20 years.What are people really saving in the long run?

Besides the landfills are already overloaded with tires now.....

MOLE

If only they had used nitrogen in those tiers the dump would be begging for business.
mole

Reply #49   Dec 13, 2008 6:43 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
If only they had used nitrogen in those tiers the dump would be begging for business.

Hey H.S.

Did you hear that Carmine got a new gas saving device for the EXPLORER,A carbon fibre gas cap,it takes a lot of weight off the rear of the SUV......

MOLE

what will he think of next,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Replies: 40 - 49 of 49Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42