Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
mole

PRICING QUESTION
Original Message   Oct 31, 2008 9:03 am
I would like to throw this question out........

If you are not a vacuum enthusiast or professional in the business.

What would you pay for a vacuum cleaner[please disregard being sold by high pressure sales or hyped promotional advertising]

$5.00, $ 20.00, $ 150.00, etc. I'M trying to see how the public in general sees this industry..........

Thanks

MOLE

Replies: 30 - 39 of 49Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
HARDSELL

Re: PRICING QUESTION
Reply #30   Dec 4, 2008 8:49 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:

Vernon hits it right on the head.  Thank you, Sir. 

COSTCO here in the Las Vegas Valley uses nitrogen with its tire sales too and has for several years, I understand.  If you buy the tires for your vehicle from COSTCO, you can return anytime and have them check/adjust the tire pressure regularly free of charge.  A new Honda dealership opened in the Valley about a year ago and mandates nitrogen use in tires with all new Honda car sales.  I suspect for the specific reason that Vernon cited above.  With the 120 plus degree outside air temps, the tire air temps can rise drastically causing the tires to blow if overinflated.  Less of a chance with the nitrogen since it runs cooler in the tires.  Granted the new Honda owner is a youngin by comparison to the older stodgy car dealers in LV who still use air. 

You're not supposed to mix [air/nitrogen].  The tire and auto dealers use green caps on the tire valves to alert industry professionals that the tires use nitrogen and not air.  But it's always good to tell them, when you bring your car in for service.  In an emergency, if you use air, COSTCO/Honda dealer will deflate the tires and reinflate with nitrogen free if you bought the tires/car there.  If you are converting your existing tires to nitrogen from air as a brand new customer, COSTCO/Honda charge from $25-$100 for the job, depending on the vehicle. 

Hope that in conjunction with Vernon's post is informative and useful.

Carmine D.

Carmine,  lots of car dealers are putting nitrogen in tires post sell.  I remember when they put paint and upholstery protection on the vehicle then added $1000 or so to the sticker.  Dealer cost was probably $25 to $50.   They would then have a big margin to negotiate off the sticker.  They did this with undercoating also.  Amusing thing is the cars were undercoated at the factory.

How about all the oil and transmission additives that dealers and quick change locations promote.  You spend $50 extra on an oil change for no improvement in performance or durability.  they recommend 3000 mi oil change intervals when the auto factory and oil manufacturers recommend 5000.

When the tire installer breaks the bead of removes the valve stem ambient air enters the tire.  Do the installers then pull a vacuum to eliminate this prior to installing nitrogen?  I think not. 

I would rather pay a few $ for a portable air compresor and do periodic air checks myself than to drive to Costco each time.  How many are within driving distance of the general population.  Remember they aren't Wal Mart.

Just like vacs.  No one solution for all.  However, your beloved CR does not recommend nitrogen.  Neither does anyone else who doesn't profit from it. 

Tire construction, rubber compounds, driving habits and tire maintenance will contribute more to tire life than nitrogen IMO. 

If one is comfortable with nitrogen by all means use it.  Just do the research first.

MOLE, your opinion would be valued here.

CarmineD

Reply #31   Dec 4, 2008 8:58 am
Hi HARDSELL:

I understood alot of new car dealers recommended and used nitrogen filled tires [the industry experts].  That FACT in conjunction with COSTCO's nitrogen usage and my own research are the reasons I made the conversion for driving here in the Las Vegas desert.  My own personal experience now confirms my preference for nitrogen usage.  Air is passe.

I didn't know Consumer Reports' views on nitrogen.  Now, it really doesn't make a difference for me in my nitrogen preference.  I know CR rates COSTCO very highly as a large retailer for good pricing and customer service.  And COSTCO club members, according to CR, have the highest annual household incomes of all the comparable discount retailers.  These CR FACTS were factored into my decision for buying my tires at COSTCO.   I am a COSTCO member, not a CR subscriber save for an occasional newstand purchase, with a location nearby so it's very convenient for my dear Wife and I.  Maybe not for others. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 4, 2008 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #32   Dec 4, 2008 9:10 am
CarmineD wrote:

Hope that in conjunction with Vernon's post is informative and useful.

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine and Vernon,

As always, your input is quite useful and I'm extremely glad for the help.  I'm just not sure as to whether I want to buy from Costco in this case.  It only stocks two brands here and not the one I have in imind.  Don't hate me but I'm going for one that is manufactured in Japan.  My research shows it as an all-season tire with good quality, wear-resistance and performance and better price.

I think this company is probably trying harder to please as it is not, to my knowledge, a "big" name.  However, I've gone through I don't know how many tire reviews by users and experts and in the end result the brand rates nicely.  Matter of fact, my used car came with Japanese tires of another brand that are doing quite well save for that fatal pothole. 

Like vacuum cleaners, you never know until you try.  I'll be looking around for a tire installation site that has nitrogen on hand nonetheless.

Thanks much,

Venson
mole

Reply #33   Dec 4, 2008 9:38 am
Goodyear eagles 15 x33, 4lbs right side 6 lbs left side,compound 320, tubes are an extra but  are mandated by the racing sanctioning bodies,life span 15 to 20 hard passes,

costs more than a round trip air fair to europe, sidewalls wrinkle when under power ,[ should see the guy smile when i ask him to high speed balance them to 200 mph]

My street tires are goodyear f1 eagles, 275 x40 x17, low profile z rated, 185plus mph, expect about 20 to 25 thousand miles out of them.

tires on my silverardo half ton, bone yard specials,takeoffs[good deal] 20 bucks a piece,

Never seen the cost benefits of nitrogen for tires.

MOLE

DysonInventsBig

Reply #34   Dec 4, 2008 12:30 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DIB:

Must have gotten your dyson bonus for 2008!

Carmine D.

... that's funny too.

dusty

Reply #35   Dec 4, 2008 4:12 pm
CarmineD wrote:

I didn't know Consumer Reports' views on nitrogen.  Now, it really doesn't make a difference for me in my nitrogen preference.  I know CR rates COSTCO very highly as a large retailer for good pricing and customer service.

Consumer Reports bottom line, fwiw.

The average loss of air-filled tires was just 3.5 psi from the initial 30 pressure setting. Nitrogen-filled tires lost an average of 2.2 psi from the initial 30 psi setting. More important, all tires lost air pressure regardless of the inflation medium, so consumers should check their tires' air pressure routinely. No evaluation was done to assess the aging claim.

Bottom line: Overall, consumers can use nitrogen and might enjoy the slight improvement in air retention provided, but it's not a substitute for regular inflation checks.

Dusty

CarmineD

Reply #36   Dec 4, 2008 4:26 pm
Hello Dusty:

Thanks for the info.  I would not have bothered to research CR opinions on nitrogen, FWIW, since I am impressed and extremely satisfied with the nitrogen filled tires.

Both of my FORD vehicles are SUV's with larger tire inflation capacities than 30 PSI.  I suspect the air leakage for these larger tire capacities would be greater than the CR results for 30 PSI tire pressure.  BUT....when the leakage is calculated as a percentage of the PSI inflation, the nitrogen percentage would be much lower.  For me with SUV tires, this measurement is more meaningful for comparative analyses than absolute amounts of leakage based on one standard of 30 PSI tire pressure. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #37   Dec 4, 2008 6:24 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Dusty:

Thanks for the info.  I would not have bothered to research CR opinions on nitrogen, FWIW, since I am impressed and extremely satisfied with the nitrogen filled tires.

Both of my FORD vehicles are SUV's with larger tire inflation capacities than 30 PSI.  I suspect the air leakage for these larger tire capacities would be greater than the CR results for 30 PSI tire pressure.  BUT....when the leakage is calculated as a percentage of the PSI inflation, the nitrogen percentage would be much lower.  For me with SUV tires, this measurement is more meaningful for comparative analyses than absolute amounts of leakage based on one standard of 30 PSI tire pressure. 

Carmine D.

SUV's do not necessarilly carry a higher tire pressure.  There are other factors to consider when inflating tires. Over inflation can cause as much tire wear as under inflation.  What does the owners manual or the mfg. sticker in the door jamb recommend?  Have you ever looked?    Most tires have recommended pressures over 30 lbs.  I run 34 lbs in my Ford Five Hundred. 

Your SUV will not leak air any faster than a Yugo.  I can add 3 lbs of air annually to my tires annually for 25 cents,  You will have to pay severely for that 2 1/2 lb loss.

I am sure that all would like to hear your documented changes in your vehicle since you started using nitrogen.  Frankly, I think that your are inhaling too much of it.

HARDSELL

Reply #38   Dec 4, 2008 6:25 pm
dusty wrote:
Consumer Reports bottom line, fwiw.

The average loss of air-filled tires was just 3.5 psi from the initial 30 pressure setting. Nitrogen-filled tires lost an average of 2.2 psi from the initial 30 psi setting. More important, all tires lost air pressure regardless of the inflation medium, so consumers should check their tires' air pressure routinely. No evaluation was done to assess the aging claim.

Bottom line: Overall, consumers can use nitrogen and might enjoy the slight improvement in air retention provided, but it's not a substitute for regular inflation checks.

Dusty

Dusty,  CR is full of BS.                           Unless it supports Carmine's argument.
CarmineD

Reply #39   Dec 4, 2008 9:35 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Dusty,  CR is full of BS. Unless it supports Carmine's argument.

Hello HS: 

Is that another baking soda joke! 

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Dec 4, 2008 by CarmineD
Replies: 30 - 39 of 49Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42