Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Electrolux Ergorapido

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
hbw248

Electrolux Ergorapido
Original Message   Oct 6, 2008 11:44 pm
Has anyone seen the new Ergorapido from Electrolux? It apparently is replacing the cordless Pronto 2 in 1 stick vac.  I was just in Costco today purchasing a Nikon and ran across this new version. Couldn't resist buying one for $89.00.

There are several improvements including a 12 volt battery, an improved brush/roll and advanced filter system. The brush roll has much heavier brushes verse the combo rubber strip and wimpy soft brush of the old Pronto 2 in 1. The brush roll assembly now removes quicker with a snap of a single button. No coin slot to rotate like on the Pronto.

The filter assembly now  has a spring loaded plunger you grasp and pull up to help dislodge debris that gets caught between the nylon mesh and fine filter. I haven't had a chance to fully charge it yet but I can tell you it has substantially more suction and larger fan than the Pronto. Suction is double of the old model.. even without a full charge yet!  

The color is now a gun metal metallic. One nice touch is soft ergo non-slip rubber material on the rear of the handle. The vac still separates from the stick for use like a dust-buster... except the switch has been improved from the old momentary spring loaded type to a constant on switch. Nice touch! The dust bin also removes easily with rubberized grips that depress and unlock for improved removal. Since it now moves substantially more air, additional venting has been added to the rear of the power unit in addition to increasing the front venting as well. 

Almost forgot, it now has two accessory tools, i.e. a separate crevice and dusting brush that each independently snap into the end of the intake opening. The tools store right inside the charging dock. The two speed switch is now a rocker type instead of a slider. You'll also note the fan depth and intake opening are double that of the Pronto for improved suction and air flow.  Very nice unit!

So far I'm very impressed with this new updated model and the color change is refreshing over that nasty burnt orange I never liked.

Bruce

This message was modified Oct 7, 2008 by hbw248
Replies: 3 - 12 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: Electrolux Ergorapido
Reply #3   Mar 27, 2009 9:47 am
Hi Bruce,

The Ergorapido is certainly stylish enough but doesn't warrant the eighty-buck price my local Costco has put on it. Yes, the suction seems a bit better. I did not get a chance to see what the new brushroll looks like as some removed it from the display model I was looking at. The old brushroll design was a steal from the low-profile electric nozzle that was supplied on a couple of Electrolux Oxygen 3 models plus, I believe, a version under the Sanitaire brand.

The issue with the Pronto was that it pushed litter about on bare flooring. If that has been cured then the world is better for it. CR says it has not. The runtime on this thing is 11 minutes though charge time is only 15 per CR. Also, the Ergorapido rates about the same as its predecessor the Pronto. Ergorapido has been assessed as poor on carpet, fair on bare floors and poor at edge cleaning. The nice side is that it's quiet and has excellent emissions. I know, I know -- CR said it. But as this time we're not talking about what's on the far side of one-grand price tag, take on home and prove 'em wrong.

The slightly odd looking rechargeable Black & Decker Pivot got high scores for carpet, bare floors and edge cleaning. Run time is 12 minutes and it takes 21 minutes to charge. It is however viewed as noisy.

Personally, I'd been thinking of having a lightweight on hand to give the stairs and small foyer a quick hit as needed but best choice for me is a corded stick vac. The not necessarily as cute Hoover Flair at $40.00 may be a much better deal.

Venson
This message was modified Mar 27, 2009 by Venson
Venson

Reply #4   Mar 28, 2009 7:30 am
Speaking of the Ergorapido -- I have pasted in a link to a news article about a user who received third-degree burns when hers exploded while in use.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/03/26/bc-vacuum-burns-electrolux.html?ref=rss

Electrolux has recalled seer of its rechargeable vacs including the Pronto, the Precision and the Sanitaire.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #5   Apr 7, 2009 7:47 am
Some more information on the recall.  It was voluntary, tho the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) was an equal participant with Electrolux in the recall.  Don't expect to see the product again until June 2009, if then.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #6   May 13, 2009 4:37 pm
I was at the local COSTCO today and noticed the Electrolux Ergorapido back on the shelves for $89.  Appears also to be in a new carton probably to distinguish from the recent product recalls.

BTW, dyson DC17 with all the goodies is $429 and in huge quantities.  This price should come down/get discounted in the months ahead.  HOOVER bagged WT Anniversary model is $189 which is up from the $159 during the 2008 Holiday season.  HOOVER bagless Anniversary WT is $127.  BISSELL Liftoff is $164.  And finally the EUREKA Boss is all sold out and on reorder.  IRobots still selling too.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #7   May 13, 2009 9:55 pm
CarmineD wrote:
I was at the local COSTCO today and noticed the Electrolux Ergorapido back on the shelves for $89. 

Carmine D.

Carmine,

I'll never understand how they do it. This little vac is probably one the cutest but most useless little developments that I've ever seen but Electrolux AB is still out there pushin' 'em. The Ergorapido is made of plastic so I guess a dead horse like this can't smell.

May we all have that kind of courage -- or nerve -- to forge ahead. I would note that Costco, at least my nearest one, is offering no alternatives. BestBuy where I have not seen the Ergorapido on display has at least two or three brands to look compare.

Best,

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #8   May 14, 2009 7:20 am
Hello Venson:

The name Electrolux gets the $89 price tag not necessarily the performance.  I like the HOOVER Slider but the drawback is the battery charging.  With time, the overcharging feature diminishes the run time.  After 2 years of use, run time is almost halved.  Still for the price, $25-$40 retail, wonderful for quick pick ups on rugs/floors.  I have a spare I'm gifting today to the Church office, so the ladies don't have to lug out the big vacuums when they have a quick clean up to perform.  If HOOVER adds the Accu-Charge feature to the Slider and keeps the price about the same or slightly higher, and markets aggressively, I'd suspect each home would have at least one.

If I recall correctly, the local COSTCO also has the Shark cordless swivel sweeper for $39/$49 and that appears to be a staple.

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 14, 2009 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #9   May 14, 2009 8:47 am
I thought I'd peruse the COSTCO Web Site for curiosity.  I noted that the vacuum "featured" is the EUREKA Boss Smart Vac, for $149 proudly displaying the Number One rating by Consumers' Digest and was sold out at my local COSTCO.

http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.aspx?cat=103&eCat=BC%7C103&whse=BC

Of note too, and this was posted some time ago and still true, the dyson brand is conspicuosly absent from the line up of floor care brands on the COSTCO Web Site.  Tho, my local COSTCO has a ton of the dyson DC17 with all the extras for $429.  This price should come down, if one is so inclined to buy,  for several reasons:  First, the recent launch of the DC27 for $479 at SAM's Club stores.  Two, COSTCO not carrying dysons on the Web Site is probably looking to clear out the product and make shelf room.  Why?  Stock up on the feature vacuum products: Like the EUREKA Boss Smart vac upright, which was sold out.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #10   May 14, 2009 5:43 pm
CarmineD wrote:
I thought I'd peruse the COSTCO Web Site for curiosity.  I noted that the vacuum "featured" is the EUREKA Boss Smart Vac, for $149 proudly displaying the Number One rating by Consumers' Digest and was sold out at my local COSTCO.

http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.aspx?cat=103&eCat=BC%7C103&whse=BC

Of note too, and this was posted some time ago and still true, the dyson brand is conspicuosly absent from the line up of floor care brands on the COSTCO Web Site.  Tho, my local COSTCO has a ton of the dyson DC17 with all the extras for $429.  This price should come down, if one is so inclined to buy,  for several reasons:  First, the recent launch of the DC27 for $479 at SAM's Club stores.  Two, COSTCO not carrying dysons on the Web Site is probably looking to clear out the product and make shelf room.  Why?  Stock up on the feature vacuum products: Like the EUREKA Boss Smart vac upright, which was sold out.

Carmine D.

Did you notice the Hoovers low ratings.

Thia billing is given to the anniversay WT : Top rated upright vacuum in a leading consumer magazine!

The reviews basically call it junk.  Guess that top rated mag didn't use it like home owners.  Not really surprising.

CarmineD

Reply #11   May 14, 2009 7:26 pm
Hello HARDSELL:

Please be more specific on the particular HOOVER model with the low rating?  For example, the HOOVER TEMPO for $75 always rated in the top 10 by Consumer reports usually gets 4-5 stars by comsumers regardless of the retailers.  For COSTCO buyers, the EUREKA Boss Smart Vac upright gets 4 out of 5 stars, not the highest, but still warrants its "featured" classification and a BEST BUY rating from 2 of the major consumer magazines year after year.  Probably, due in part to the cost/value of the 4 Star rating for the price paid of $149.  Perhaps, the same is true for the HOOVER models.  Like the WT.  CR rates it and many other HOOVER-s as a BEST BUY for performance.  Why?  The WT price of $189.  Extremely affordable.  As opposed to spending $500 plus for a vacuum that after 6 plus years of production just eeks out a mediocre to average performance rating and rank.

I have noted too, and take this for what's it worth, that bulk of the lower HOOVER WT Anniversary raitngs come AFTER the March 2009 Consumer Reports ratings.  Why?  I'm not big on conspiracy theories, but surely this gives me pause and I have to at least ask if there is a concerted effort on the part of some manipulative raters to sabotage/impugn the veracity of the CR ratings and the HOOVER ratings.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #12   May 14, 2009 10:24 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello HARDSELL:

Please be more specific on the particular HOOVER model with the low rating?  For example, the HOOVER TEMPO for $75 always rated in the top 10 by Consumer reports usually gets 4-5 stars by comsumers regardless of the retailers.  For COSTCO buyers, the EUREKA Boss Smart Vac upright gets 4 out of 5 stars, not the highest, but still warrants its "featured" classification and a BEST BUY rating from 2 of the major consumer magazines year after year.  Probably, due in part to the cost/value of the 4 Star rating for the price paid of $149.  Perhaps, the same is true for the HOOVER models.  Like the WT.  CR rates it and many other HOOVER-s as a BEST BUY for performance.  Why?  The WT price of $189.  Extremely affordable.  As opposed to spending $500 plus for a vacuum that after 6 plus years of production just eeks out a mediocre to average performance rating and rank.

I have noted too, and take this for what's it worth, that bulk of the lower HOOVER WT Anniversary raitngs come AFTER the March 2009 Consumer Reports ratings.  Why?  I'm not big on conspiracy theories, but surely this gives me pause and I have to at least ask if there is a concerted effort on the part of some manipulative raters to sabotage/impugn the veracity of the CR ratings and the HOOVER ratings.

Carmine D.

Rhe Tempo is not on Costco site.  I referred to the WT bagged anniversary edition.  Price was not the reason for poor reviews of the Hoover.

The only conspiracy that I am aware of is yours against Dyson.  You have always been manipulative to lead readers astray in any and all discussion.

Of course Dyson did rub poop in your face so I guess you have reason to try and sabotage them.

Replies: 3 - 12 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42