Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > how to de-dog a Dyson

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Vacuumfreeeke

how to de-dog a Dyson
Original Message   Jul 2, 2008 12:12 am
Well, I got my first Dyson and I'm not sure I made the right choice.  I was selling vacuums at Snears when Dyson came to America and I was very familiar with the DC07.  Well, I bought a used DC14 from Craig's List...  I much prefer the simplicity of the DC 07, especially the way the wand and hose work.  That telescoping thing on my model is for the birds.

Anyway, I have a specific problem with mine.  The lady who owned it before me had a dog.  After cutting at least 2 pounds of her hair and white stuffing off the brushroll, I turned it on and it smelled awful!  Just line someone had vacuumed up wet dog hair.  In fact, someone had... there was dog hair caked all over the vacuum in the brushroll housing.  I cleaned it as well as I could... which isn't easy because of the fact that Dyson makes the vacuum so users can't remove their own belt/brushroll (very stupid if you ask me, but I'm sure they get a lot more money for service).  I worked around the brush roll and cleaned the cavity out.  Looks pretty good.  Then I took the filter, cyclone bin assembly, hose, wand, U-bend, and bottom plate to the bathtub for a good soak/scrub.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get the dog smell out of the rest of the vacuum... the part I can't take in the bath tub and wash?!

I don't think saving 300 dollars to buy used was worth all this trouble!

This thing sure looks weird sitting beside my Kirbys, Royals, and vintage Hoovers!
Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Motorhead

Re: how to de-dog a Dyson
Reply #3   Jul 2, 2008 1:19 am
Congratulations on the Dyson, you did make the right choice and you'll like it after it's all cleaned up.  I hate to say it but just over $300 ($320 to be exact) could have gotten you a brand-new DC07 Original at Wal-Mart.  You could always sell this one, it's not too late.  There's nothing like a brand new Dyson, I have to say.  Not to mention it's only your own dirt that exists in it and not anyone else's.

You definitely started off right by cleaning the cyclone separator/bin assembly.  If the machine is picking up large amounts of pet hair AND not cared for properly (which I suspect to be the case here with the previous owner of yours), oils from pet hair have a tendency to build up in the cyclones, which seem to be the main cause of pet odors.  Allow plenty of time for the cyclone assembly to dry out completely before reassembling it and installing it in the machine. 

Then I would replace the pre-motor filter which is the next in line in the pet-odor-laden air path, simply washing it I don't think would cut it.  The replacements are not that expensive.  The HEPA final filter *shouldn't* be a problem, but if you clean all of this up and it still reeks of dog, then that will probably need to be replaced.  Keep us posted and good luck.

-MH
Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #4   Jul 2, 2008 1:32 am
Thanks for the response... I spent 100 on the used one.  I have 25 vacuum cleaners in my collection and I live in a 1 bedroom apartment... I didn't need a Dyson, I wanted it so I just couldn't justify the price of a brand new one!  I haven't gotten a new vacuum in about a year and a half, and it was time!    I have things drying out now, so we'll see how it goes.  I just want to play with the silly thing!
CarmineD

Reply #5   Jul 2, 2008 7:22 am
No matter what you do, the tell tale pet hair smell will remain.  It's the worse.  Save complete new replacement of the guilty components nothing works.  Cover it up a bit but its there until the world ends.  For a $100, you overpaid.  A visit to a local vacuum store or two may have been more fruitful.  The  DC07-s are making their way in for trade and repairs. Some even abandoned by owners who can't come up with do re me for repairs.  Store owners are happy after 3-6 months of collecting dust to get their money back out of them by discounted resales.

BTW, Fry's Electronics has new DC07-s All Floors on clearance for $289.  Once all these are sold, and it is dropping prices until they all are, the DC14-s will follow.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 2, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #6   Jul 2, 2008 7:28 am
Hi V.F. trust me that the whole machine has to come apart and be cleaned in a 2 bay sink,loaded with disinfectant,take it apart right down to the bare housings,i do it all day long.A dishwasher is also a good idea also if you have access to one.
Now you know why the machine was pretty cheap,the old owner could not put up with it any more,Just wanted to unload it, good luck on the repair what a nightmare these are to work on,

MOLE
Venson

Reply #7   Jul 2, 2008 11:28 am
Hi VF,

Wash whatever parts are readily accessible and then you might want to try picking up a tablespoon or two of borax before you start cleaning OR -- if you can find them -- a very small amount of moth crystals.  Borax generally lends to sweetening exhaust air.  Moth crystals provide a stronger effect and have usually helped de-funk some pre-owned vacuums I've acquired.  Back in the day, some manufacturers like Electro-Hygiene (which actually had a compartment for just this purpose built into some of its tank-type vacs and uprights), Royal, etc., recommended small amounnts of these -- no more than a couple of teaspoons -- to help kill odors in the machine.  This has worked for me in past.  I found after a few applications that most obnoxious odors were eliminated.

Being Dyson is bagless, you may need to dump in the crystals each time you clean until the smell is reduced or gone.  Again, in this situation, more is not better.  Merely use the couple of teaspoons of Paradichlorobenzene crystals suggested.  Also please note that this is a toxic material -- same stuff is used bathroom deodorizers and moth $#%* -- and should be stored out of the reach of children or pets.

Best,

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #8   Jul 3, 2008 7:20 am
Venson wrote:
Hi VF,

Back in the day, some manufacturers like Electro-Hygiene (which actually had a compartment for just this purpose built into some of its tank-type vacs and uprights), Royal, etc., recommended small amounnts of these -- no more than a couple of teaspoons -- to help kill odors in the machine.  This has worked for me in past.  I found after a few applications that most obnoxious odors were eliminated.

Best,

Venson

Hello Venson:

Yes, back in the day.  Recall how all the new [old]  vacuums came with sprayers and de-motherizers.  The latter were inserted into the vacuums' exhausts [with a supply of moth crystals, sometimes even provided by the vacuum maker].  99.99999 % of the vacuum owners never used them.   Kirby continues a practice that was once an industry accepted standard.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 3, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #9   Jul 3, 2008 7:40 am
Hey Venson and Carmine,thanks for reminding me of this stuff,being a royal dealer i always had many packets of the moth crystals lying around the shop,Carmine is right no one ever used this feature,even the dealers never used it in the demo,All the BIG name door to door brands always had DEMOTHERS in their demo kits,Anyone remember the plastic or vinyl suit bags for suit storage,I had some ELECTROLUX ones .

Man those things weighed a ton,

A lot of this add on accesories were just  used as deal closers, But kirby has to take the #1 prize for the gizmo department,

B.T.W. service and repair have really stepped up in recent months,A sign of the times? i might need another bench guy soon, these 14 hour days are killing me...............

MOLE
HARDSELL

Reply #10   Jul 3, 2008 8:16 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Venson:

Yes, back in the day.  Recall how all the new [old]  vacuums came with sprayers and de-motherizers.  The latter were inserted into the vacuums' exhausts [with a supply of moth crystals, sometimes even provided by the vacuum maker].  99.99999 % of the vacuum owners never used them.   Kirby continues a practice that was once an industry accepted standard.

Carmine D.

Does Kirby include crystals with their vacuums?
CarmineD

Reply #11   Jul 3, 2008 4:45 pm
mole wrote:

B.T.W. service and repair have really stepped up in recent months,A sign of the times? i might need another bench guy soon, these 14 hour days are killing me...............

MOLE

Most defintely MOLE man.  I'm hearin the same from the vacuum stores here in LV.  Hard times [read slow and dwindling cash flow] mean vacuum customers have to use, repair, and reuse.  Good time to have and sell replacement parts vice genuines too.  Customers like to save money now on such things.  Good time for sales of vacuum store brands and repairs and parts for all makes and models.   

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 3, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #12   Jul 9, 2008 7:50 am
This message was modified Jul 9, 2008 by HARDSELL
Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42