Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trilobite

The New Miele Upright Cleaner
Original Message   Mar 23, 2008 10:12 pm

Allergy Banner Alt

First upright from Miele

29 February 2008

This summer, Miele will launch its first range of upright vacuum cleaners – the S7.

It will consist of about six models, all of which feature ultra large dust bags and

“a unique swivel body, which makes it easy to manoeuvre in even the trickiest

of room layouts”. According to the company,  the decision was made following

numerous requests from customers that wanted to buy Miele  but would only use

an upright model.

Text: courtesy ERTweekly.com

Picture: courtesy Miele.co.uk, 2009

Edited 21st March 2009; reason: loss of original image.

This message was modified Mar 20, 2009 by Trilobite
Replies: 125 - 134 of 494Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
catlady

Re: The New Miele Upright Cleaner
Reply #125   Oct 9, 2008 10:44 pm
At this point in time, would you guys recommend I sell the Miele and get a Dyson?   I had researched vacuums for almost a year before finally purchasing my Miele.  I read a lot of reviews that the Dyson had frequent repair issues so I decided to look into other options.  My Vac Shop guy is very aware of my situation with the rescue I run and the amount of animals I keep in my home.  I spent a couple of months running to the Vac Shop testing vacuums after I knew how much my stimulus check was going to be.  If you guys remember from my review, the vacuum I was going to buy was the Sebo X4.  I had thoroughly tested it, but the Miele outperfomed it except in the edging test with the cat litter.  I was tired of buying vacuum cleaners that couldn't hold up to my use and felt I was wasting my money on buying a new vacuum every year.  I wanted one that was going to last.  The biggest reason I went with the Miele is because of the low emissions and how its really well built.  It's solid.  With my last vacuum I would often sneeze and cough the entire time I was vacuuming.  I do not have that problem with this Miele.  Also I don't mind hauling the vacuum around the house.  My home is small and the 40 foot cord allows me to do an entire floor at a time without having to switch the plug.  The Miele is actually pretty convenient for me and easy to use.  But now that I see how much those bags will cost me over time, it doesn't seem to make sense for me to keep the Miele.  A lot of spays/neuters could be done with that money.
DysonInventsBig

Reply #126   Oct 10, 2008 12:54 am
HARDSELL wrote:
$2600 for 5 years of vacuuming.  Dyson is loking better all the time.

I always get a kick out of your posts. 

CarmineD

Reply #127   Oct 10, 2008 7:20 am
Hello Catlady:

You have a dilemma.  There is no perfect solution except the central vacuum system because of your sensitivity to dust and dander. 

A bagless like dyson, as Mike pointed out, is an option if you have a person in the household who can dump the dirt bin.  The job will have you sneezing and coughing and dreading the chore.  If you ask any doctor about using a bagless vacuum, he/she will advise you against it!  And rightly so.  Read the dyson User Guide for dirt bin dumping.  It illustrates/explains an elaborate process for allergy and asthma sufferers requiring the use of plastic garbage bags to contain the dirt and dust cloud every time you dump.  In your case, dumping will be daily if you vacuum daily.  More time, effort and trouble to use a dyson vice your MIELE!  And money spent for garbage bags!

You should familiarize yourself with these dyson dirt bin dumping instructions.  Only you can determine if the extra work, time and effort for dirt bin dumping are worth it to you to offset the $100 plus per year for MIELE bags.  The bag cost is really a need for your own personal health and well being to continue your professional animal rescue mission.  

Visit your MIELE vacuum shop owner/operator and ask what is the best deal he can give you on a year's supply of bags.  Then take his price proposal and shop around. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 10, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #128   Oct 10, 2008 9:26 am
Lets see pets,kids, vacuum everyday bagged, bagless upright tank,canister, you think that bags are expensive, I'm just glad your NOT one of my customers.There is no right way out of this for you, If we sat down and dicussed your situation prior to buying ,i would have sent you somewhere else,because i dont want to marry you for whatever the warranty period is,I see you as a malcontent........

sincerly

MOLE

catlady

Reply #129   Oct 10, 2008 1:40 pm
mole wrote:
Lets see pets,kids, vacuum everyday bagged, bagless upright tank,canister, you think that bags are expensive, I'm just glad your NOT one of my customers.There is no right way out of this for you, If we sat down and dicussed your situation prior to buying ,i would have sent you somewhere else,because i dont want to marry you for whatever the warranty period is,I see you as a malcontent........

sincerly

MOLE

No, I don't have kids and I do not see how me being upset with the cost of the bags makes me a malcontent.  I have been very satisifed with the vacuum and have had no complaints about it.  I felt I posted a very honest and fair review of the new Miele and the only complaint I have is with the cost of the new bags and the fact that I had to wait a very long time for them to come in and had to borrow a vacuum while waiting.  I think you have misclassified me as a chronic complainer.  That is not the case.  I am glad you were not my Vac Shop Salesman.  You seem a bit quick to misjudge.

I did a lot of research before I bought my vacuum and I spent a lot of time with my Vac Shop Salesman testing various vacuums.  I knew the Miele bags were pricey, but I feel that 4 bags for $16.95 + tax is excessive.  If you recall the first box of bags I purchsed were 5 bags for $15.35 + tax.  I did not know the price was going to go up for less bags.  And yes, I will go through them quickly with the amount I vacuum to reduce my asthma symptoms.  If I want to continue to work as a rescuer (and I do) this is something that I need to do to stay healthy.  I have no complaints about the vacuum itself.  I am very happy with it for a number of reasons. 

Getting a Central Vac will definately be a goal for our next home.  Hopefully we can make that happen within the next 3 or 4 years.  Until then, I will be sticking with the Miele because I like the fact that I am not sneezing/coughing when I vacuum anymore.  The bagless systems (which is what my previous vacuum was) just aren't a good option for asthma sufferers like myself.  When I went in for my allergy shot this morning, the nurse told me the Dyson is not recommended for someone with severe allergy/asthma problems like I have.  She said no bagless system is recommended due to having to empty them.  She also told me that Miele and Sebo are recommened, but a Central Vac is the best option.  So I guess I will deal with the cost of these bags for my health until I can get a Central Vac.

Venson

Reply #130   Oct 10, 2008 1:45 pm
Hi Melanie,

I have placed a call to friend who has a vac shop in my neighborhood.  He's out today but I explained the situation to his assistant who suggested I try him this coming Monday.  No promises, but I'll inquire if he can work a deal for a bulk order.  If he can I'll send a PM with his contact info so that you may get in touch.  Basicallly, you'd need to figure out how many bags you need over x-period of time.

On the other hand, should you be able to sell your Miele upright at a good price AND if you think you coulld live with a canister machine . . .

I would not recommend a bagless machine not only because of your respiratory issues but because of the frequent need for emptying due to the volume of work you face.  Nor, for the same reasons and also because of extra maintence requirements would I suggest a water-type vacuum.  You need a cleaner with a big bag and such machines do exist. 

Not necessarily a favorite to some, there is an alternative big-bagged canister vacuum like the Nilfisk GD 930 which uses a 15-litre (4 gallon) disposable bag and that can be fitted with a power nozzle kit (Part No. 70014).  This simply designed vacuum cleaner is more usually acquired for commercial usage but is of a size suitable for use in the average home.  It comes equipped with a HEPA filter and, per tthe rep I spoke with today, I am told that the standard NIlfisk bag made for it in combination with the foam and HEPA filtering medium already in place should suffice in providing quality emissions without the use of high-filtration bags.  The canister itself weighs about 16.5 pounds, is quiet in operation plus its power cord is 50-feet long.

Standard replacement bags come in packs of ten and at the cost $22.00 per package direct from Nilfisk.  (I checked with an independent dealer and his price is the same.) The high-filtration counter-part would cost about $72.00 per pack.  The downside is that a dealer who was pricing the basic canister at $565.00 price the power nozzle kit at $300. 

However, the basic GD 930 can probably be found for at about $100 less -- again with some looking around.  Therefore the thing here, if you're interested, would be finding the machine at the best price. 

PLEASE take careful note that I am not affiliated in any way with the makers or sellers of the products I suggest and receive no compensation or special consideration from them by way of my recommendation.

Best,

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #131   Oct 10, 2008 2:39 pm
Catlady aka Melanie:

Happy to hear your health and happiness of your friends are more important than money!

Take Venson's advice to heart about reusing the MIELE bags.  Most bags can't be reused.  MIELE's, especially with your usage, can be reused once. 

Your dear Husband can be your assistant.  But you will have to buy another straight suction canister vacuum [for $50/less] to accomplish the job.  You can only reuse the bag once.  Here's what your husband will do [using a face mask to keep from breathing the dirt, dust and dander]:

Cut the TOP edge of the full bag [paper/cloth].

Dump completely.

Vacuum clean the inside and outside of the used bag completely with the new straight suction canister.

Fold the edge of the cut over twice about one-half inch just enough to staple the folded seam completely closed.  If you use the clothlike paper, make a wedge out of thin flexible cardboard.  Put the folded edge of the used bag in the cardboard wedge and staple closed.  Some tape over the stapled fold will seal further and prevent leakage/breakage.

This procedure will save you some money over the long term.  This procedure will work fine for your 4 legged furry friends and you!.  The new vacuum will pay for itself after reusing 10 MIELE bags or even less.

Caveat: MIELE will void the warranty for this, as Venson said.  Don't lie, but don't tell the truth.  When you take the MIELE in, remember to insert a new [unadulterated] bag.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 10, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #132   Oct 10, 2008 3:04 pm
C.L..

I hate to burst your bubble about your asthma problem,but a vacuum cleaner is not going to help you with them ,after using the machine for a month get back to us and let us know HOWS THAT WORKING FOR YA.I already know what happens,and please tell the truth.

Maybe you should buy a HALO.

MOLE

catlady

Reply #133   Oct 10, 2008 3:43 pm
Venson and Carmine,

You have both been very helpful.  Thank you so much.

Venson, you have really gone the extra mile to get information for me and I really appreciate it.  There is a good group of people on this site. 

HARDSELL

Reply #134   Oct 10, 2008 8:22 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Catlady aka Melanie:

Happy to hear your health and happiness of your friends are more important than money!

Take Venson's advice to heart about reusing the MIELE bags.  Most bags can't be reused.  MIELE's, especially with your usage, can be reused once. 

Your dear Husband can be your assistant.  But you will have to buy another straight suction canister vacuum [for $50/less] to accomplish the job.  You can only reuse the bag once.  Here's what your husband will do [using a face mask to keep from breathing the dirt, dust and dander]:

Cut the TOP edge of the full bag [paper/cloth].

Dump completely.

Vacuum clean the inside and outside of the used bag completely with the new straight suction canister.

Fold the edge of the cut over twice about one-half inch just enough to staple the folded seam completely closed.  If you use the clothlike paper, make a wedge out of thin flexible cardboard.  Put the folded edge of the used bag in the cardboard wedge and staple closed.  Some tape over the stapled fold will seal further and prevent leakage/breakage.

This procedure will save you some money over the long term.  This procedure will work fine for your 4 legged furry friends and you!.  The new vacuum will pay for itself after reusing 10 MIELE bags or even less.

Caveat: MIELE will void the warranty for this, as Venson said.  Don't lie, but don't tell the truth.  When you take the MIELE in, remember to insert a new [unadulterated] bag.

Carmine D.

Congratulations Carmine.  You just gave the most absurd post on the forum.

You would not recommend Dyson in part due to the problems associated with emptying the bin by alergy sufferers.  Now you recommend a messier and costlier process to save a bag.

Let her husband empty the Dyson.  No allergy problem for her and no bag cost.

Thanks for the laugh though.

Replies: 125 - 134 of 494Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42