Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trilobite

The New Miele Upright Cleaner
Original Message   Mar 23, 2008 10:12 pm

Allergy Banner Alt

First upright from Miele

29 February 2008

This summer, Miele will launch its first range of upright vacuum cleaners – the S7.

It will consist of about six models, all of which feature ultra large dust bags and

“a unique swivel body, which makes it easy to manoeuvre in even the trickiest

of room layouts”. According to the company,  the decision was made following

numerous requests from customers that wanted to buy Miele  but would only use

an upright model.

Text: courtesy ERTweekly.com

Picture: courtesy Miele.co.uk, 2009

Edited 21st March 2009; reason: loss of original image.

This message was modified Mar 20, 2009 by Trilobite
Replies: 485 - 494 of 494Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Motorhead

Re: The New Miele Upright Cleaner
Reply #485   Apr 2, 2009 12:47 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Sure, and I did already here for her benefit.  It's probably part of the 'filler' you did not want to read.

First, I said the S7 Salsa is not the best suited for her needs.  I never said it was not good.  Little different.

Second, at the bag usage rate already discussed here by the user, she will, at the current cost of bags, pay about $100 a year for disposable bags.  By her own admission, she hopes to have the vacuum 8-10 years.  Do the math for bags over the life of the vacuum.

Third, add to the cost for normal maintenance items and repairs needed.  MOLE was kind enough to elaborate.  You did too.  What is the cost of a cord set from an authorized MIELE dealer for the S7?  $130.  Indies like MOLE can do it cheaper, I'll bet.  Be that as it may, the cost of the purchase of the S7 [$600] will more than double/triple over the useful life.  Usually, consumer goods depreciate/get amortize over their useful life.   Not in this particular case.

BTW, my opinion is not the only.  Our forum moderator says the same.  He would never have recommended this S7as a choice.  [Probably more filler you missed].

Carmine D.

I don't see how cord replacement would factor into the equation of "normal maintenance items".  Unless it is repeatedly run over, chewed by the dog, or used to pull the machine around, there's no reason the cord shouldn't last the life of the machine.  Potential customer abuse adds hundreds to the initial purchase price in repairs for *any* machine, so this shouldn't just apply to Miele. 

I did notice how it would cost $100 per year in bags alone to operate this machine.  For that, I only have one thing to say:  Why are bags best again?

That being said, my final question is, are you saying you would recommend a Dyson to Catlady based on its extremely low operating cost, if any at all? 

-MH
This message was modified Apr 2, 2009 by Motorhead
Motorhead

Reply #486   Apr 2, 2009 12:54 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Actually, DIB on these points I agree with you.  Now if you can end my confusion on the clutchless/brushroll saga of  DC27, I would be much obliged.

Carmine D.

I was going to put this in the DC27 thread but since you asked I'll put it here.  It's as simple as this:  The US version of the DC27 has two motors with a brushroll shut-off switch right next to the on/off switch (think DC17).  The UK version on the other hand, has a completely different brushroll with the clutch setup.

There are no DC27s sold here with the clutch.
This message was modified Apr 2, 2009 by Motorhead
Motorhead

Reply #487   Apr 2, 2009 12:55 pm
Also, just an FYI in case I didn't clarify this in my earlier post.  The cord on the Miele S7 cannot be replaced in the handle; $140 is for the entire cord, handle, and switch assembly.
CarmineD

Reply #488   Apr 2, 2009 1:09 pm
I see MH that your absence has not altered your proclivity to 'fence.'  Congrats.  I'm happy to say, mine either.  At this point, I have no more answers/recommendations for the user [let alone you who is impressed with the Bolero, as you should be].  The MIELE S7 is IMMER BESSER.  But not for all users.  We here can offer advice and suggestions [opinions] to prospective buyers and owners in need of asistance.  It's up to the buyers/vacuum owners to make the final decisions and/or take the advice to heart and follow.  Once they have, it's ancient history.  CAn't change the outcome/result.  But, if you want to know more about the ancient history here, read the thread.  You may even get an answer about a chewed up MIELE cordset, which is extremely likely in this case even for a dyson and/or any corded vacuum used in this buyer's home.  I'm thinking more than just bagless. 

Sadly, for this user, the MIELE S7 Salsa, save the motor, will be shortly out of parts warranty, despite it's relatively new sales birth.  Not good for a daily user, even an IMMER BESSER MIELE. 

Carmine D. 

CarmineD

Reply #489   Apr 2, 2009 1:14 pm
Motorhead wrote:
I was going to put this in the DC27 thread but since you asked I'll put it here.  It's as simple as this:  The US version of the DC27 has two motors with a brushroll shut-off switch right next to the on/off switch (think DC17).  The UK version on the other hand, has a completely different brushroll with the clutch setup.

There are no DC27s sold here with the clutch.

Now I'm really confused.  You're saying there are 2 DC27 models.  One with the clutch and one without?  Interesting.  Dyson hasn't updated either Web site, UK/USA, with the model.  How can you say with such certainty that the 2 same models are different?  Fact/opinion?

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #490   Apr 2, 2009 1:19 pm
Motorhead wrote:

That being said, my final question is, are you saying you would recommend a Dyson to Catlady based on its extremely low operating cost, if any at all? 

-MH

Again, if you read the thread, you'll learn why Melanie ruled out dysons. 

Carmine D.

catlady

Reply #491   Apr 2, 2009 2:11 pm
CarmineD wrote:
  You may even get an answer about a chewed up MIELE cordset, which is extremely likely in this case even for a dyson and/or any corded vacuum used in this buyer's home.  I'm thinking more than just bagless. 

Sadly, for this user, the MIELE S7 Salsa, save the motor, will be shortly out of parts warranty, despite it's relatively new sales birth.  Not good for a daily user, even an IMMER BESSER MIELE. 

Carmine D. 

Hi Carmine,

Believe it or not, I'm more of a risk to my cords than my pets are.  LOL  I have a bad habit of running over my cords and the vacuum chews them up.

I know when I first started posting you recommended a central vac for my needs and I agree.  That will come in time, hopefully with our next home.  The cost of the Miele bags and regular maintenance will add up over time and you are correct, it may cost me more than the purchase price of the vacuum in the long run.  But for now I will deal with that cost.  For holidays I will request those gift cards you can use anywhere and put that towards the purchase of bags.  That should help some.  The S7 is a great vacuum and does a great job so even though I've had some issues with the cost of bags and then hose, etc. the vacuum still rocks.

Melanie

Venson

Reply #492   Jun 14, 2009 10:21 am
Hi,

My Miele Tango is still doing swell however I checked online today to check out accessories and came away more than assured that the whole world is crazy. The new wide upholstery tool included as part of the attachment set for the upperline S7s in the UK are offered here as an option for 30 bucks. A newer, far better designed utility tool now sells for 40 bucks and the price for the mini-turbo nozzle remains at $75.00.

Don't take my word for it. Check it out yourself:

http://www.miele.com/products/accessories.asp?nav=30&snav=24&tnav=26&oT=119&cat=1&subcat=1&menu_id=5

So who said we're in a recession?

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #493   Jun 14, 2009 3:30 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi,

My Miele Tango is still doing swell however I checked online today to check out accessories and came away more than assured that the whole world is crazy. The new wide upholstery tool included as part of the attachment set for the upperline S7s in the UK are offered here as an option for 30 bucks. A newer, far better designed utility tool now sells for 40 bucks and the price for the mini-turbo nozzle remains at $75.00.

Don't take my word for it. Check it out yourself:

http://www.miele.com/products/accessories.asp?nav=30&snav=24&tnav=26&oT=119&cat=1&subcat=1&menu_id=5

So who said we're in a recession?

Venson

Hi Venson:

Unbelievable!  Buy the vacuum for $900 and then part it out for $9000. 

WRT recession, not for MIELE buyers and sellers.  MIELE boasts shipping 1 MILLION vacuums from it's factory in Germany every year including last.  MIELE buyers are not affected by the global recession.  The whole world could implode financially, like it has, and MIELE will be selling its high end products for top dollar to an anxious buying world wide public chomping at the mouth to have them.  They have the magic name. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #494   Jun 14, 2009 4:32 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:

Unbelievable!  Buy the vacuum for $900 and then part it out for $9000. 

WRT recession, not for MIELE buyers and sellers.  MIELE boasts shipping 1 MILLION vacuums from it's factory in Germany every year including last.  MIELE buyers are not affected by the global recession.  The whole world could implode financially, like it has, and MIELE will be selling its high end products for top dollar to an anxious buying world wide public chomping at the mouth to have them.  They have the magic name. 

Carmine D.

You're right Carmine. I've decide to be content with the upholstery tool that came with the cleaner. Come the day I have to plug it in to a lamp post, I won't miss the money.

Venson
Replies: 485 - 494 of 494Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42