Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Open to Suggestions

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Lucky1

Open to Suggestions
Original Message   Mar 6, 2008 3:14 pm
We are in the very beginning of discussions on to what vacuums/products to place on our website. We will have the full Miele-Sebo-Bosch Line up with a smattering of other machines we feel are either unique or fit into a good price point like the Royal Procision 3050, the Panasonic MC-CG973, Sanataire S782 and Mighty-Mite. Any other suggestions? And Why.

Thanks guys, have some fun!

Lucky
Replies: 6 - 15 of 25Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Open to Suggestions
Reply #6   Mar 7, 2008 12:51 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
NO REPLIES???? Some vacuum forum...LOL

OK for every vacuum suggestion you can bash or defend a Dyson in that post as well... Is that more enticing?

I think all the suggestions given are worthy of consideration. 

I think you are choosing an excellent time to get in the Web Site vacuum business.  In the upcoming months, big box retailers will [many have already started] cull and drop vacuum brands and models from their shelves.  You will get these customers in the future if you give them options in different price ranges.

You are going to encounter budget minded vacuum buyers.  If these budget buyers don't want to go for the higher priced vacuum store brands, you need a fall-back for less expensive ones.  Why? Still make the sale, keep the customer[s], and have future prospect[s] when they are more inclined to spend on vacuums.  Rebuilts are an excellent option.  But, sometimes people want to buy new, especially with net buying. 

Il recommend ONE maybe TWO new upright vacuums like the HOOVER TEMPO and/or EUREKA Smart Vac [bagged] at  prices competitive with big box retailers.  Because Consumer Reports rates these highly.  You can use the CR pitch/endorsement to make the sale.  Give the buyer[s] an option to buy an extended service plan of 1-2-3- years by jacking up the price $10, $20 and even $30 [whatever you think the market will bear].  This strategy gives you an edge over the big box retail stores especially with budget minded customers.  My sense is that these customers will not be your target market, but you don't want to lose any potential customers.  Especially in these hard economic times when spending on higher priced vacuums becomes a discretionary expense not a necessity.

Do the same for a canister.  A decent quality cann at about $100-$120 with a decent power head.  Offer the extended warranty option 1-2-3 years with a higher sales price.  For budget minded consumers.  Again, to increase your profit and make the sale if the customer[s] are budget minded.  Then you have another opportunity with these customers in the future.

Hope this is useful.

Good luck.

Carmine D.

Lucky1

Reply #7   Mar 7, 2008 1:22 pm
Thanks Guys!

I am a Simplicity Dealer but we are forbidden to do internet sales and Phone orders are list price only. It may sound bad but it does work in the Brick & Mortar Indie Dealer best interest. I am hoping to be different than the others in that I feel a buyers approach should be Flooring Surface as the first requirement, Price second and Brand third. I hope to be able to cross reference easily as the consumer navigates through the site. Most sites go Brand first. I've gotten enough people coming into the shop saying they bought a machine online with a Turbo brush... that they latter realize is not suited for their home. As far being a better price or offering incentives that's mostly Taboo. But as a retailer, once again it allows a Mom & Pop to compete.

Funny as a coincidence, My order for a Perfect Electrolux clone was just delivered moments before I went online!

Air purifiers are a great idea. I'm an authorized Blueair dealer already. I will check their internet policy.

What about the Electrolux/Eureka series. I know they have contact & hose problems but they are in a good price point and get a good CR review. I'm really torn on this one.

Which Dysons would you offer? ( IF YOU WERE TO) LOL
Just

Reply #8   Mar 7, 2008 1:39 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
Thanks Guys!

Knowing very little to nothing about Dysons I would say only this. Look at Wal-Mart, K-Sears, and Target.  See what models they show most prominently, then stock the ones that are not so readily available.   You can buy a blue DC7 24 hours a day at Wally world, however, some of the bigger models are not so available.

This message was modified Mar 7, 2008 by Just
Venson

Reply #9   Mar 7, 2008 2:25 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
NO REPLIES???? Some vacuum forum...LOL

OK for every vacuum suggestion you can bash or defend a Dyson in that post as well... Is that more enticing?

Hi Lucky1,

It's great tol hear of your new venture.  Much luck to you.

I pass on knocking around brand names, etc. My only suggestion is that you choose product that you feel you can stand behind -- not just stuff brought in because its on the shelf of the other guy down the block.  I am always pleased to talk business with sellers who have accurate, in-depth knowledge of their product and who are prepared to offer sound explanations of its advantages and disadvantages.

You might want to check out -- http://www.ristenbatt.com -- not for any special reason other than this seller is pretty selective and also offers helpful info.

Go for it . . .

Venson

PS -- Will forum members get discounts? :)

CarmineD

Reply #10   Mar 7, 2008 7:44 pm
Lucky1 wrote:

New dyson vacuums are not selling in the current market and will continue not to sale as the economic conditions worsen.  Too expensive and the big box retailers are suffering huge sales declines as consumers put the brakes on discretionary spending [read high price vacuums].

Refurb dysons at low prices may be lucrative.  You do the refurbing and you guarantee.  Most of the refurbs for sale now shorten the warranty period drastically.  You extend yours just enough to get the edge and beat out the competition in dyson refurbs.

Carmine D. 

dusty

Reply #11   Mar 8, 2008 12:18 am
Lucky1 wrote:
Thanks Guys!

I am a Simplicity Dealer but we are forbidden to do internet sales and Phone orders are list price only. It may sound bad but it does work in the Brick & Mortar Indie Dealer best interest. I am hoping to be different than the others in that I feel a buyers approach should be Flooring Surface as the first requirement, Price second and Brand third. I hope to be able to cross reference easily as the consumer navigates through the site. Most sites go Brand first. I've gotten enough people coming into the shop saying they bought a machine online with a Turbo brush... that they latter realize is not suited for their home. As far being a better price or offering incentives that's mostly Taboo. But as a retailer, once again it allows a Mom & Pop to compete.

Funny as a coincidence, My order for a Perfect Electrolux clone was just delivered moments before I went online!

Air purifiers are a great idea. I'm an authorized Blueair dealer already. I will check their internet policy.

What about the Electrolux/Eureka series. I know they have contact & hose problems but they are in a good price point and get a good CR review. I'm really torn on this one.

We've had good luck with the Eureka 6500 air extreme (bag model only, bagless is nasty).  Parts are cheap and it's  a pretty full featured machine for the money.  Dysons are easy, DC18's are our big mover for carpets and we just received the DC20 which is nice for bare floors.  We always get calls for a bagless canister with no powerhead so this machine fits the bill nicely. I would still put Simplicity on your website, local users will use it for info and make their way into your store to purchase even if there is no pricing online.

Off topic a tad, I'm curious to know if you sell the Simplicity air purifiers and your opinion of them.  We've carried them at times but find they're not as price competitive with other brands as we'd like.

Dusty
This message was modified Mar 8, 2008 by dusty
HARDSELL

Reply #12   Mar 8, 2008 9:20 am
CarmineD wrote:
New dyson vacuums are not selling in the current market and will continue not to sale as the economic conditions worsen.  Too expensive and the big box retailers are suffering huge sales declines as consumers put the brakes on discretionary spending [read high price vacuums].

Refurb dysons at low prices may be lucrative.  You do the refurbing and you guarantee.  Most of the refurbs for sale now shorten the warranty period drastically.  You extend yours just enough to get the edge and beat out the competition in dyson refurbs.

Carmine D. 

You have told us for at least 3 years that Dysons were not selling for 1 reason or another.  They remained #1 all the time. I told you that the Hoover Z would never make it.  It flopped  Damn, I am good.
mole

Reply #13   Mar 8, 2008 9:49 am
Carmine,where are you going to find a decent canister vacuum with a good power head [new] to sell at $100.00 to $200.00. You tell me where these are and I'LL buy them .

Please dont tell me the HOOVER BAGLESS THINGY WITH THE QUAD POWERHEAD.

I would say these guy's are in business to make a profit, You know this cannot be done with the machines you have reccomened.

The only thing online shoppers care about is what it costs [bargain hunters],dont care about back up service,warrantys,parts availability,etc.

They will get bombarded with information seekers,that wont buy from them.But will thank them for their time.

I would sell bags,filters,attachments,etc. this is where the money is made.

MOLE

This message was modified Mar 8, 2008 by mole
CarmineD

Reply #14   Mar 8, 2008 2:06 pm
mole wrote:
Carmine,where are you going to find a decent canister vacuum with a good power head [new] to sell at $100.00 to $200.00. You tell me where these are and I'LL buy them .

Please dont tell me the HOOVER BAGLESS THINGY WITH THE QUAD POWERHEAD.

I would say these guy's are in business to make a profit, You know this cannot be done with the machines you have reccomened.

MOLE

Mole:

That's the reason the GE bagged cann sells so well for Wal*Mart. 

You have to have a mix from low end to high: Uprights and canns.  For the budget buyers, who don't want to buy a rebuilt, you offer the decent low end new: HOOVER TEMPO and/or Eureka Smart Vac, bagged.  Increase the markup by offering the extended service plan.  This is a last resort to keep from losing the customers.

For others who may be budget minded and bagless, offer the refurb dysons at competitive prices.  Again, increase the mark up by extending the warranty, to compete with all the dyson refurbs.

For the quality minded but limited budget: The rebuilts; you know the brands and models.

For the quality minded who can spend: The Miele, SEBO, RICCAR.  The top tier store brands.

Add the lightweights for those inclined: DC18; Oreck Deluxe, RICCAR/Simplicity.

DIdn't you quote me a decent cann for under $200 that is sold by vacuum stores?  I can go buy a truck load right now and ship them to you if you like?

Carmine D.

Lucky1

Reply #15   Mar 8, 2008 3:40 pm
dusty wrote:
Stepping away from vacuums for a sec, how about air cleaners.  There is a huge market for this and they compliment your Miele and Bosch product lines. Accessories to make someones current vacuum work better are also something to think about.  We sell lots for hand turbos and micro tool kits both of which you can't find in box stores.  I look forward to seeing your site once it's up and running.<BR><BR>Dusty

Dusty I do sell the Air purifiers and actually use one in the bedroom at night. I own the stinkiest Gordon Setter on the face of the planet and he sleeps in the BR. Does a good job I must say on Odor and Dust. The price point IS high but there is value in that you only need one system with the 5 features Odor/Hepa/Nano-Silver/Ionizer/Anti-Bacteria vs other brands with less. They don't fly out the door but I do sell some. Mostly the smaller version. Replacement filters are also pricey. They are soon to come out with a version to be sold in any retail store. Bothered me at first but it will make the brand name on other products an easier sell once the general public commonly sees the Brand Name.
Replies: 6 - 15 of 25Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42