Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Open to Suggestions

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Lucky1

Open to Suggestions
Original Message   Mar 6, 2008 3:14 pm
We are in the very beginning of discussions on to what vacuums/products to place on our website. We will have the full Miele-Sebo-Bosch Line up with a smattering of other machines we feel are either unique or fit into a good price point like the Royal Procision 3050, the Panasonic MC-CG973, Sanataire S782 and Mighty-Mite. Any other suggestions? And Why.

Thanks guys, have some fun!

Lucky
Replies: 1 - 25 of 25View as Outline
Lucky1

Re: Open to Suggestions
Reply #1   Mar 7, 2008 10:58 am
NO REPLIES???? Some vacuum forum...LOL

OK for every vacuum suggestion you can bash or defend a Dyson in that post as well... Is that more enticing?
Just

Reply #2   Mar 7, 2008 11:35 am
I didn't reply at first not because I didn't have an opinion, but more because I don't feel qualified.  It looks like you have a good start with what you have mentioned.  I don't, however, see any uniqueness to your store over another unless you have a different price point.  Some uniquenss or something that would draw people to your site over another is what I would look for.  You would stay away from the big box brands, because you can see those at any Wally World or K-Sears around. 

Could I suggest that you have a line of quality rebuilt machines that would not violate new franchise restrictions for door to door only.    Recently I saw on another site I visit something about the Perfect vacuum.  It is actually a China made machine that copies the old Super-Lux but with a price of $899.  As others have said on this forum before, people will buy rebuilt machines if they can see quality in what they are buying and a great price too.  

Recently when I was searching for a light weight vacuum, I discovered that some makes forbid their dealers from selling online.  It was almost impossible to find out what a price point would be until I visited a few shops.   If you were to handle these machines I fear you would be restricted by these same agreements, but it would be nice for a consumer to have someone that would advertise and sell a Riccar or Simplicity online.   I can see why some makers have these restrictions, because it wouldn't allow them to high pressure their customers on line where if they have to come into the shop, or they in your home; you become their captive.

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #3   Mar 7, 2008 11:53 am
I'm not in the business, so take my advice with a grain of salt.  I've heard that the used vacuum (purchasing trade ins from Kirby/Rainbow/etc) can be lucrative.  I would be careful to cover multiple price points - even if the option is a used vacuum.

You need a light weight upright - whether its Oreck/Riccar/Simplicity. 

Dyson does make a nice bagless vacuum, but I wouldn't carry all of the models.    I thought the former DualCyclone from the other forum mentioned that Dyson actually was willing to pay some labor costs for warranty repairs.  Given that many of the Chinese companies don't, it would have an impact on what I would sell if I had a store.

Having a business is about maximizing profit and providing a good product to the consumer.  You probably ought to look at what price breaks you get for buying models within the same family.   For example, it you choose Riccar models rather than a mishmash from Royal, Panasonic, and Sanitaire, do you get better prices on your inventory.   (Note that I'm not recommending Riccar, since I don't really know what their policies are.)  I believe some companies expect you to buy a minimum number of machines per year to be a dealer.  That will weigh on your choice of brands. 

Some suppliers are certainly better than others.  Many customers want a made in the US option, and I think you should try to provide it if possible. 

When I had my Royal vacuum repaired, the store told me that they discontinued doing repairs for Royal, Eureka/Electrolux, and Hoover because the Chinese companies were non-responsive in sending parts and reimbursing them for their costs in warranty repairs.   Some of these companies don't pay any labor costs for repairs.   This business liked Oreck a lot because of the company's support. 

Consumers do read Consumer Reports and it's worthwhile to see what they recommend, particularly the best values.  Just be sure that you can offer competetive prices if you pick these big box brands.

The problem with the Miele/Sebo/Bosch line up is that you have to sell them at MSRP on a web site, if I'm not mistaken.  What exactly can you offer that any other dealer can't on those models?  I'd be prepared to offer free bags/filters/tools/gift certificate for future purchase, to make your site more attractive for these lines.

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
mole

Reply #4   Mar 7, 2008 11:56 am
I would take J.P.T.'s, post as very usefull,you have to offer the consumer something unique, rebuilt vacuums are one way,but stay with machines that are worth rebuilding,and you make a resonable profit on.Offer a repair service with expert service and fast turn around time.With all the different shipping methods today this can be done quite well,and be cost effective to both you and the customer.

The online business is a real CUTHROAT market. I know a few dealers that have done very well on line.I will tell you this it can become a 24/7 job,over 100 e-mails a day.

GOOD LUCK

MOLE

P.S the perfect lux is electroluxes old metal body from the early 90's,it's not an automatic like the ultralux was,it has an ametek motor with over 125'' of I.W.L.

This machine is good for the dealers that want to sell a metal body vacuum,IT wont sell at 899.00,maybe 650.00,we will see what happens.

dusty

Reply #5   Mar 7, 2008 12:30 pm
Stepping away from vacuums for a sec, how about air cleaners.  There is a huge market for this and they compliment your Miele and Bosch product lines. Accessories to make someones current vacuum work better are also something to think about.  We sell lots for hand turbos and micro tool kits both of which you can't find in box stores.  I look forward to seeing your site once it's up and running.

Dusty
CarmineD

Reply #6   Mar 7, 2008 12:51 pm
Lucky1 wrote:

OK for every vacuum suggestion you can bash or defend a Dyson in that post as well... Is that more enticing?

I think all the suggestions given are worthy of consideration. 

I think you are choosing an excellent time to get in the Web Site vacuum business.  In the upcoming months, big box retailers will [many have already started] cull and drop vacuum brands and models from their shelves.  You will get these customers in the future if you give them options in different price ranges.

You are going to encounter budget minded vacuum buyers.  If these budget buyers don't want to go for the higher priced vacuum store brands, you need a fall-back for less expensive ones.  Why? Still make the sale, keep the customer[s], and have future prospect[s] when they are more inclined to spend on vacuums.  Rebuilts are an excellent option.  But, sometimes people want to buy new, especially with net buying. 

Il recommend ONE maybe TWO new upright vacuums like the HOOVER TEMPO and/or EUREKA Smart Vac [bagged] at  prices competitive with big box retailers.  Because Consumer Reports rates these highly.  You can use the CR pitch/endorsement to make the sale.  Give the buyer[s] an option to buy an extended service plan of 1-2-3- years by jacking up the price $10, $20 and even $30 [whatever you think the market will bear].  This strategy gives you an edge over the big box retail stores especially with budget minded customers.  My sense is that these customers will not be your target market, but you don't want to lose any potential customers.  Especially in these hard economic times when spending on higher priced vacuums becomes a discretionary expense not a necessity.

Do the same for a canister.  A decent quality cann at about $100-$120 with a decent power head.  Offer the extended warranty option 1-2-3 years with a higher sales price.  For budget minded consumers.  Again, to increase your profit and make the sale if the customer[s] are budget minded.  Then you have another opportunity with these customers in the future.

Hope this is useful.

Good luck.

Carmine D.

Lucky1

Reply #7   Mar 7, 2008 1:22 pm
Thanks Guys!

I am a Simplicity Dealer but we are forbidden to do internet sales and Phone orders are list price only. It may sound bad but it does work in the Brick & Mortar Indie Dealer best interest. I am hoping to be different than the others in that I feel a buyers approach should be Flooring Surface as the first requirement, Price second and Brand third. I hope to be able to cross reference easily as the consumer navigates through the site. Most sites go Brand first. I've gotten enough people coming into the shop saying they bought a machine online with a Turbo brush... that they latter realize is not suited for their home. As far being a better price or offering incentives that's mostly Taboo. But as a retailer, once again it allows a Mom & Pop to compete.

Funny as a coincidence, My order for a Perfect Electrolux clone was just delivered moments before I went online!

Air purifiers are a great idea. I'm an authorized Blueair dealer already. I will check their internet policy.

What about the Electrolux/Eureka series. I know they have contact & hose problems but they are in a good price point and get a good CR review. I'm really torn on this one.

Which Dysons would you offer? ( IF YOU WERE TO) LOL
Just

Reply #8   Mar 7, 2008 1:39 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
Thanks Guys!

Knowing very little to nothing about Dysons I would say only this. Look at Wal-Mart, K-Sears, and Target.  See what models they show most prominently, then stock the ones that are not so readily available.   You can buy a blue DC7 24 hours a day at Wally world, however, some of the bigger models are not so available.

This message was modified Mar 7, 2008 by Just
Venson

Reply #9   Mar 7, 2008 2:25 pm
Lucky1 wrote:

Hi Lucky1,

It's great tol hear of your new venture.  Much luck to you.

I pass on knocking around brand names, etc. My only suggestion is that you choose product that you feel you can stand behind -- not just stuff brought in because its on the shelf of the other guy down the block.  I am always pleased to talk business with sellers who have accurate, in-depth knowledge of their product and who are prepared to offer sound explanations of its advantages and disadvantages.

You might want to check out -- http://www.ristenbatt.com -- not for any special reason other than this seller is pretty selective and also offers helpful info.

Go for it . . .

Venson

PS -- Will forum members get discounts? :)

CarmineD

Reply #10   Mar 7, 2008 7:44 pm
Lucky1 wrote:

New dyson vacuums are not selling in the current market and will continue not to sale as the economic conditions worsen.  Too expensive and the big box retailers are suffering huge sales declines as consumers put the brakes on discretionary spending [read high price vacuums].

Refurb dysons at low prices may be lucrative.  You do the refurbing and you guarantee.  Most of the refurbs for sale now shorten the warranty period drastically.  You extend yours just enough to get the edge and beat out the competition in dyson refurbs.

Carmine D. 

dusty

Reply #11   Mar 8, 2008 12:18 am
Lucky1 wrote:
Thanks Guys!

I am a Simplicity Dealer but we are forbidden to do internet sales and Phone orders are list price only. It may sound bad but it does work in the Brick & Mortar Indie Dealer best interest. I am hoping to be different than the others in that I feel a buyers approach should be Flooring Surface as the first requirement, Price second and Brand third. I hope to be able to cross reference easily as the consumer navigates through the site. Most sites go Brand first. I've gotten enough people coming into the shop saying they bought a machine online with a Turbo brush... that they latter realize is not suited for their home. As far being a better price or offering incentives that's mostly Taboo. But as a retailer, once again it allows a Mom & Pop to compete.

Funny as a coincidence, My order for a Perfect Electrolux clone was just delivered moments before I went online!

Air purifiers are a great idea. I'm an authorized Blueair dealer already. I will check their internet policy.

What about the Electrolux/Eureka series. I know they have contact & hose problems but they are in a good price point and get a good CR review. I'm really torn on this one.

We've had good luck with the Eureka 6500 air extreme (bag model only, bagless is nasty).  Parts are cheap and it's  a pretty full featured machine for the money.  Dysons are easy, DC18's are our big mover for carpets and we just received the DC20 which is nice for bare floors.  We always get calls for a bagless canister with no powerhead so this machine fits the bill nicely. I would still put Simplicity on your website, local users will use it for info and make their way into your store to purchase even if there is no pricing online.

Off topic a tad, I'm curious to know if you sell the Simplicity air purifiers and your opinion of them.  We've carried them at times but find they're not as price competitive with other brands as we'd like.

Dusty
This message was modified Mar 8, 2008 by dusty
HARDSELL

Reply #12   Mar 8, 2008 9:20 am
CarmineD wrote:
New dyson vacuums are not selling in the current market and will continue not to sale as the economic conditions worsen.  Too expensive and the big box retailers are suffering huge sales declines as consumers put the brakes on discretionary spending [read high price vacuums].

Refurb dysons at low prices may be lucrative.  You do the refurbing and you guarantee.  Most of the refurbs for sale now shorten the warranty period drastically.  You extend yours just enough to get the edge and beat out the competition in dyson refurbs.

Carmine D. 

You have told us for at least 3 years that Dysons were not selling for 1 reason or another.  They remained #1 all the time. I told you that the Hoover Z would never make it.  It flopped  Damn, I am good.
mole

Reply #13   Mar 8, 2008 9:49 am
Carmine,where are you going to find a decent canister vacuum with a good power head [new] to sell at $100.00 to $200.00. You tell me where these are and I'LL buy them .

Please dont tell me the HOOVER BAGLESS THINGY WITH THE QUAD POWERHEAD.

I would say these guy's are in business to make a profit, You know this cannot be done with the machines you have reccomened.

The only thing online shoppers care about is what it costs [bargain hunters],dont care about back up service,warrantys,parts availability,etc.

They will get bombarded with information seekers,that wont buy from them.But will thank them for their time.

I would sell bags,filters,attachments,etc. this is where the money is made.

MOLE

This message was modified Mar 8, 2008 by mole
CarmineD

Reply #14   Mar 8, 2008 2:06 pm
mole wrote:
Carmine,where are you going to find a decent canister vacuum with a good power head [new] to sell at $100.00 to $200.00. You tell me where these are and I'LL buy them .

Please dont tell me the HOOVER BAGLESS THINGY WITH THE QUAD POWERHEAD.

I would say these guy's are in business to make a profit, You know this cannot be done with the machines you have reccomened.

MOLE

Mole:

That's the reason the GE bagged cann sells so well for Wal*Mart. 

You have to have a mix from low end to high: Uprights and canns.  For the budget buyers, who don't want to buy a rebuilt, you offer the decent low end new: HOOVER TEMPO and/or Eureka Smart Vac, bagged.  Increase the markup by offering the extended service plan.  This is a last resort to keep from losing the customers.

For others who may be budget minded and bagless, offer the refurb dysons at competitive prices.  Again, increase the mark up by extending the warranty, to compete with all the dyson refurbs.

For the quality minded but limited budget: The rebuilts; you know the brands and models.

For the quality minded who can spend: The Miele, SEBO, RICCAR.  The top tier store brands.

Add the lightweights for those inclined: DC18; Oreck Deluxe, RICCAR/Simplicity.

DIdn't you quote me a decent cann for under $200 that is sold by vacuum stores?  I can go buy a truck load right now and ship them to you if you like?

Carmine D.

Lucky1

Reply #15   Mar 8, 2008 3:40 pm
dusty wrote:
Stepping away from vacuums for a sec, how about air cleaners.  There is a huge market for this and they compliment your Miele and Bosch product lines. Accessories to make someones current vacuum work better are also something to think about.  We sell lots for hand turbos and micro tool kits both of which you can't find in box stores.  I look forward to seeing your site once it's up and running.<BR><BR>Dusty

Dusty I do sell the Air purifiers and actually use one in the bedroom at night. I own the stinkiest Gordon Setter on the face of the planet and he sleeps in the BR. Does a good job I must say on Odor and Dust. The price point IS high but there is value in that you only need one system with the 5 features Odor/Hepa/Nano-Silver/Ionizer/Anti-Bacteria vs other brands with less. They don't fly out the door but I do sell some. Mostly the smaller version. Replacement filters are also pricey. They are soon to come out with a version to be sold in any retail store. Bothered me at first but it will make the brand name on other products an easier sell once the general public commonly sees the Brand Name.
dusty

Reply #16   Mar 8, 2008 3:52 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
 They are soon to come out with a version to be sold in any retail store. Bothered me at first but it will make the brand name on other products an easier sell once the general public commonly sees the Brand Name.

Box retailers have been a sticky point for me.  I find consumers do lots of research on this product (more so than vacuums) and in their travels they notice that the Simplicity is the same as the Sharp Plasma Cluster...except the Sharp can be had for far less $$'s.  I like the technology behind the product but wish they'd do a redesign so it looks a little more unique in the market place.
CarmineD

Reply #17   Mar 9, 2008 7:58 am
Lucky1 wrote:

Wouldn't be on my list of sellers.  Too pervasive among the big box retailers.  Unless you can cut the price or offer something more, you can't compete with the big dogs on price.  They'll undercut you.

BTW, what's your vacuum sales and experience, if you don't mind me asking?

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #18   Mar 9, 2008 12:08 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Mole:

That's the reason the GE bagged cann sells so well for Wal*Mart. 

DIdn't you quote me a decent cann for under $200 that is sold by vacuum stores?  I can go buy a truck load right now and ship them to you if you like?

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine, The G.E.or cloned eureka canister,sells for how much?is it under $200.00,with a decent power head.Yes i know it's been at walmart for a long time now.

This machine i believe takes the cn1 bags,either under the G.E. label or the eureka cn2 bags under the eureka label.It is a decent machine but will not last very long.

Most vac shops sell the either the SANITAIE blue line/or red line.Now these uprights such as an 886  is vey hard to beat .Its vey common knowledge amoung the vacuum guy's that SANITAIRE is the best bang for the buck.It's really too bad that HOOVER has really given up on their commercial line for the vac shop's.I really liked selling the 334 commercial machine,and the GUARDSMAN upright.There are many good uprights out there for under $200.00,with the canisters it real hard to find a quality machine in that price range.

As far as air systems go ,i believe this market is over saturated already,and the consumer that wanted one already bought them. Sort of like wood stoves.......

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #19   Mar 9, 2008 12:59 pm
mole wrote:
Hi Carmine, The G.E.or cloned eureka canister,sells for how much?is it under $200.00,with a decent power head.Yes i know it's been at walmart for a long time now.

There are many good uprights out there for under $200.00,with the canisters it real hard to find a quality machine in that price range.

As far as air systems go ,i believe this market is over saturated already,and the consumer that wanted one already bought them. Sort of like wood stoves.......

MOLE

Hello Mole:

When the budget minded call for a cann and spew off about the WM GE, here's an option:

http://www.abcvacuumwarehouse.com/vacdetails.asp?DBID=1775&ID=Fuller+Brush+FBPT%2D2+Canister

I heard that these canns are made in the same factory as the RICCAR/SIMPLICITY canns in South Korea.  The local dealer in NLV shoots this cann model for less than $200 when the cann buyers can't /won't go for the higher price RICCAR/SIMPLICITY canns.  I haven't checked it out closely.  It's on my list of things to do. 

I would add this one to my sales venue to compete against the WM GE which has been around for over 8 years and still selling well.

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #20   Mar 9, 2008 1:17 pm
Thanks Carmine, Another thing thats interesting is why would a dealer sell 2 lines that are very similar to each other [example BOSCH,MEELAH] or riccar and simplicity,

Buying and promoting but being goverend by them and being dictated how and how much they have to be sold for doesnt sit well with most owners.Minimum machine orders just so so you can keep your dealers status[diamond dealers],Been there done that,My advice to the dealers would be DONT GET TRAPPED BY ANY OF THESE CORPORATE [PIMPS].......

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #21   Mar 9, 2008 2:21 pm
mole wrote:
My advice to the dealers would be DONT GET TRAPPED BY ANY OF THESE CORPORATE [PIMPS].......

MOLE

I second and third that motion.  My store. My business.  No one but N-O-O-N-E tells [told] me what to do.  

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #22   Mar 9, 2008 3:08 pm
CarmineD wrote:
I second and third that motion.  My store. My business.  No one but N-O-O-N-E tells [told] me what to do.  

Carmine D.

That point of view is just fine by me but what can the consumer do to help promote it.

Venson

Lucky1

Reply #23   Mar 9, 2008 3:24 pm
I'm VERY new to the Biz...Selling appliances and vacs for about 4 years. My shop is only 5 Months old. Hope you experienced guys don't come down too hard on me! But how many times have you said there are no new guys coming into the field???? Right...

I'm in North Jersey so my market is somewhat different than out west. More call for canisters than uprights. Carrying Miele, Sebo and Bosch seem to complement each other rather than how you think them might not. Once again there is more Money in this area than most. I couldn't tell you where a Walmart is. We do have a Sam's and a Cosco somewhere but I don't think my buyer would shop there for too many things.

I do feel it's better spend my effort to sell a higher priced, better machine, than many lower priced ones BUT that said I do have to pay rent. Most of the cheeper vacs are really crap. I don't want a customer coming back every week with a problem on a vac I made $50 on.

The Fuller is not that great.

The Royal 3050 seems to be good can for the price. But I'd like something in the $450-$350 range that's got a good PH. Maybe the Sanitaire series might be worthwile, thanks for the suggestions!
CarmineD

Reply #24   Mar 9, 2008 3:40 pm
Venson wrote:
That point of view is just fine by me but what can the consumer do to help promote it.

Venson

Hello Venson:

Do business with the local independent stores and not the big box retailers.   The small business owners are the back bone of the US economy.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 9, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #25   Mar 9, 2008 3:46 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
I'm in North Jersey so my market is somewhat different than out west.
The Fuller is not that great.

Welcome to the real world of small business.  My vacuum sales and service store [1949 to 1992] was in Bloomfield.  49 Bloomfield Avenue, Bloomfield NJ.  Sold out in 1992 to another vacuum store owner who is still there in that same location and doing well.  Pay him a visit and talk business.

For $175 what do you want?  Something new to compete with the GE canns in Wal*mart. 

Carmine D.

Replies: 1 - 25 of 25View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42