Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
mole

Oreck/ XL 21
Original Message   Jan 19, 2008 9:54 am
How can Mr Oreck,offer a 21 year warranty ,this must be one hell of a product

MOLE

Replies: 28 - 37 of 88Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Re: Oreck/ XL 21
Reply #28   Jan 29, 2008 7:29 pm
I've have not really seen Dyson compare their product to a specific product ou there on the market.  Well there isn't any, only copy cats who can not come up with there own technology!  Dyson mentions other vacuums in general does not pick out own brand/model!  

Again the DC14 is not a comparsion to a Oreck.  What Oreck is trying to get at is their vacuum is lighter compared to a full size vacuum!  Job done!  No need to mention a specific brand/model!  Why not use Hoover etc... let me guess Dyson is 'different' so let use them so it stands out more!  If it was someone else no one would think twice to look at the statement/advert!

As for the bumper, earlier Dyson modesl (DC01, DC03, DC04) had a rubber bumper strip!  This was replaced on later models with the large debris inlet at the front so the rubber bumper was dropped.  I have to say I don't think there is any models in the UK that offer a soft bumper on their Upright machines anymore.  Even a bumper can leave marks behind depends what it is made of.  People should be more careful when vacuuming and not 'bash' about when doing it!  I've seen it all to often, people wilfully bashing the machines (uprights and canister heads) into skirting boards and furniture!

DC18

DC18

Reply #29   Jan 29, 2008 7:36 pm
I have accidently knocked my DC15 and DC07 into furniture in the past, both where unmarked!  To me the Oreck bumoer is too thick so you wouldn't get the suction right up to the edge like a Dyson you would have to 'relie' on the so called side brushes!

If I was vacuuming under a bed or furniture with a vacuum that had a headlight I would have to be bending down or my back to push the machine under for one and to see if there was anything under there I didn't want the vacuum to pick up!  I prefer to do a proper job and move the bed or furniture and clean under it throughly! 

DC18

CarmineD

Reply #30   Jan 29, 2008 7:36 pm
DC18 wrote:

People should be more careful when vacuuming and not 'bash' about when doing it!  I've seen it all to often, people wilfully bashing the machines (uprights and canister heads) into skirting boards and furniture!

DC18

Good point.  That's the reason vacuum makers use furniture guards [read bumpers] on their products.

BTW, I understand COSTCO marked down their exclusive dyson DC14 Complete from $469 to $399.  I wonder if they are discontinuing its sale.  Based on the comments about the DC14 from dyson admirers on this thread, I can understand if they are.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #31   Jan 29, 2008 7:41 pm
DC18 wrote:

I prefer to do a proper job and move the bed or furniture and clean under it throughly! 

DC18

I do too, but not daily.  I don't have the time and energy.  It's hard work.  Maybe weekly/monthly.  For daily vacuuming of dust and dog hair under the beds and furniture, Oreck is simply amazing.  Quick and easy.  Almost effortless.  Although, I see iRobot has a new 5th Generation robotic model 555 for $279.  I might give that a try.  What ever happened to the dyson robot?  Did it ever make it to market?

Carmine D. 

CarmineD

Reply #32   Jan 29, 2008 7:47 pm
DC18 wrote:
I've have not really seen Dyson compare their product to a specific product ou there on the market.  Well there isn't any, only copy cats who can not come up with there own technology!  Dyson mentions other vacuums in general does not pick out own brand/model!  

DC18

Dyson compares its own products on its web site.  Why? To allow consumers to see the differences in the features and specifications quickly and easilty in order to make an intelligent purchase.  Have you used that feature on the dyson web site?  I have.  It is a very effective tool.  Retailers do it all the time for products too.  I wonder if they view this technique as 'bashing?"

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 29, 2008 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #33   Jan 29, 2008 7:55 pm
Hi,

Might I humbly submit that Oreck, though not a favorite of mine, does not require a lot of power as did a hundred other excellent vacuums that cleaned well in past days and if employed would clean well now.  Our revered Hoovers of yore used motors that drew as little as 200 watts or so. Why?  Because of design!  However, it appears that the hint of power works as well on appliance buyers as it does on folks out looking for new cars.

Oreck's little fan is literally right down there on the on the floor with the brushroll and the air path to it is short and sweet.  You don't need 1200 watts for it to work well since its admittedly minimal suction is concentrated.  Matter of fact, if it produced higher suction it might well prove hard to push due to its relatively simple form.  As well, the brushroll is designed to offer action aplenty on rugs -- another essential.  That's same idea worked in stick vacs fitted with power nozzles by Bissell, Regina and Hoover back in the 70s.

However, when you make a simple scenario more complex you have to do other things to compensate for what you begin to lose simply because you have made things less simple.  When you're out to wow the world with cyclones and magically dispearing hoses, the first course of action would of course be to chuck a high-powered motor into the deal to make up for all the air leakage possibilities along the extended path between the floor and the fan that may well minimize suction delivery and to also use "power" to compensate for design flaws in brushrolls, etc.  What was European Electroux out to do with the Intensity vacuum it introduced a year or so ago?  No big innovation, just a little machine, big motor, short uncomplicated air path. What you get is a lot of concentrated suction.  Throw in a revolving brush and everbody goes, "Oh my!"

Not meaning to digress but here's an instance regarding power.  Despite the nuisance, old-fashioned friction fit wands used to be how do think we manage with the cheap common button lock vacuum wands and numerous swivel joints many brands have now were it not for motors with pull.  Very few companies save FQ, Hoover and GE, worked at solving the problem.  What's the problem?

Suction delivery.  There's a tremendous amount of possibility that begins at a vacuum's fan, especially a high-powered vacuum's fan, that gets lost, a little here, a little there, because of unnoticed design flaws, minute breaks in seals and friction (a reason you can't put a hose over 12 feet or so on the average household canister).  Like decible ratings, this is another area where manufactures usually do not dare to tread.  In the write-up you read that vacuum "X" has a 1200 watt motor.  What you don't know and I don't think the manufacturer knows either is, percentage-wise, how much benefit of that does the user get.  This is not in particular an endictment against Dyson or any other brand but it should be remembered that more is not always better and that you can do a heck of a lot with a little sometimes.  Oreck -- little bitty fan, short airpath and big old bag -- proves that.

Venson

This message was modified Jan 29, 2008 by Venson
DC18

Reply #34   Jan 29, 2008 8:00 pm
I'm not sure if the DC14 will be discontinued! Maybe the Lighter DC25 may replace this model!  The DC14 is very popular in the UK as was the DC07 before hand.  There has been some 'serious' marking down of DC14 prices on the high street in the UK but that is probably post Christmas and January sales!  I don't see the DC14 going too soon well not in the UK unless like I say the DC25 is to replace it!  Now the US has 2 versions of the DC17 they may phase out the DC14 in the US or scale down the DC14 range that just my guess.

DC18

DC18

Reply #35   Jan 29, 2008 8:02 pm
DC06 as it was known, Dyson robotic vacuum has never made it to the market.  They are still working on this technology I believe.  I remember the UK website had details on the DC06 and it came with a hose so you could vacuum the stairs so it like replaced the need to have a 'normal' vacuum.  It also had an SR brushless motor too.   I think one thing they have noticed is the need for longer battery power not only to power the robotics and the vacuum around but to still give the same pickup performance as its  'full' size machines.   So the batteries would need to power the motor too.  Thus adding more weight.  I'm sure they will come out with something at some point.  One thing you have to learn about Dyson is they never rush any product to the market!

Where as the Roomba to me doesn't seem that powerful!  It looks like it would only pickup surface dirt and not do a deep clean!

DC18

DC18

Reply #36   Jan 29, 2008 8:09 pm
Yes I have used the comparsion on the Dyson UK Web.  Very useful so you get the right machine.  Yes Dyson does compare it own model against each other which is fine!  The new DC24 is one example 'concentrated technology', same pickup as a full size Dyson!  You don't see Dyson using Oreck on it's website to make its own products look better.  They don't need to do this!  There product stands on it's own merits! They do use general comments like 'other vacuums' etc.. they don't use a particular brand!

DC18

DC18

Reply #37   Jan 29, 2008 8:15 pm
True about the suction more is not always better!  Dyson (and probably Oreck too?) has not really increased the wattage of it's motors over the years.  The highest they do in the UK is a 1400 watt where as other UK brands are now excessing 2000 watts and more!  The Dyson still offers great suction/performance still only using a 1400/1200 watt motor where as other makes are having to up the wattage thinking they are getting and giving better performance!

DC18

Replies: 28 - 37 of 88Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42