Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
mole

Oreck/ XL 21
Original Message   Jan 19, 2008 9:54 am
How can Mr Oreck,offer a 21 year warranty ,this must be one hell of a product

MOLE

Replies: 20 - 29 of 88Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Re: Oreck/ XL 21
Reply #20   Jan 29, 2008 5:35 pm
I agree with you there M00seUK. Very true indeed!
Motorhead

Reply #21   Jan 29, 2008 5:48 pm
Hi DC18,

You hit the nail right on the head with that one as always, I agree with everything you said.  And, again, look what we see the Oreck being compared to, the "poster boy" DC14, one of the older US Dyson models.  A dead giveaway that Oreck is grasping for something to complain about.  The reason being that if it was compared to any of the newer models (Slim, DC17 anyone?), well, they wouldn't find anything TRULY wrong with them.  I agree with you that the Dyson is picked on due to the simple fact that it has potential that others are afraid of.  No one can ignore its success in the (almost) 6 years it has been in the US.

True, the Oreck does have a lower watt/amp motor, but it also has less airflow.  Have you ever seen the size of an Oreck fan?  Only 5 blades, and TINY.  Good for picking up surface dirt from low-pile carpeting, and that's about it.  Not only is the Dyson better.  There are even other bagged lightweights the size of the Oreck, look at the Lux Lite/Hoover Clean & Light and the Tacony-made machines for example.  The difference is that those are actually REAL vacuums with REAL fans.  In fact I recall one of the advertising claims on the Tacony-made machines was showing the Tacony and Oreck fans side-by-side; the Tacony fan being of a much larger diameter of course.  And don't get me started about that minicanister...

And to me, a headlight is there for purely cosmetic reasons, just to add to the look of the cleaner.  It's a nice touch, but is it REALLY necessary?

-MH
DC18

Reply #22   Jan 29, 2008 6:21 pm
Hi Motorhead

Thank you!  I was only stating the obvious from the 'so called facts' Oreck was stating/claiming about a Dyson machine!  I agree with you Oreck must be grasping and clutching at something to try and sell their machines.  If the Oreck technology is so great then as I've said already the product will sell itself there is no need to make comprision to a specific machine which really is not a like for like model/setup!!

Yes I think Dyson is picked on or used because they have something different to offer and there is nothing 'truely' new and different on the market for them to use/pick on! Dyson thinks 'out of the box' which is different and unique to the so called 'norm' and like you say has been very successful with it.  I do think are 'deep' down affraid in someway of Dyson.   If Dyson is no good then why do they try and compare their machines to them, they should just concenstrate on their own technology and promote that!  If there own technology is any good then the product will sell.

No I have not seen an Oreck fan but looking at the size of the machine I can only guess it is very small like you say.  Oreck in the UK is not sold in high street shops they are mainly web base, newspaper and magazine articles and are always aimed at the older generation!  Where as Dyson is main stream!  I think for the price (Oreck UK) I think they are well over priced for what they are and in my opinion a 'modern' Hoover Junior! Or some would say an electric sweeper!

I take it MH you don't like the mini Oreck canister then!?

I think the headlight is cosmetic.  We had a Hoover (UK) Turbopower in the late 80's which had a head lamp and it played no use when using it.  In fact when the bulb went we didn't get it replaced no need to!  It a waste of time and energy having one!  If I wanted to vacuum in the dark then yes but I don't think anyone would!  Never seem to purpose of them really!

DC18

mole

Reply #23   Jan 29, 2008 6:21 pm
So when is Jimmy boy going to innovate a bumper strip into his innovations.Do the dyson faithful feel that this would be a benefit to the customer?I really would be upset when that cleaning head is crashing into my woodwork and marking it all up.I mean come on boy's even my regina electric had a rubber bumper on the nozzle.

My suggestion to Dyson would be to get out of the vacuum market,before he and his 300plus engineers are on the unenployment line.

Maybe they can R@D into a candle that burns from the bottom to the top.And then and only then tell us how innovative they are.DYSOON............

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #24   Jan 29, 2008 7:08 pm
M00seUK wrote:
The No1 rule with competitors is that you never directly 'bash' their product or service when comparing to your own.
Why? It looks appears Unprofessional and isn't as effective!

M00seUK et al:

Webster has the following definitions for "bash"  as a transient verb: 1. To strike with a crushing blow. 2. a. To physically assault; beat up. b. To abuse verbally. 

And as a noun: 3. A crushing blow. 4. a lively social event.  And finally basher-noun.

A checklist of product features comparing one product brand to another [or to its own for that matter] does not meet the above definitions of "bashing'.  It presents the facts in an easy to read comparative format.  Some would say smart comparative advertising.  Oreck does the same for its own vacuum products.  So does dyson.  So do all other brands.  Does this mean they are "bashing" their own products?  Pointing out the differences in an easy to read format?  If you think so, fine don't buy it.  To me, it's smart and effective advertising. 

"You'll discover that while a dyson may be pretty, a new Oreck Ultra is pretty smart." 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 29, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #25   Jan 29, 2008 7:15 pm
DC18 wrote:

3: Why the need for a light! No one vacs in the dark (put the room light on! waste of electric and energy regardless of how light it takes!) and if your going under furniture (I believe someone made a comment on here) you would not vacuum blind under beds etc...

DC18

So when you vacuum under the beds and furniture you can see and remove any objects that should not be vacuumed up.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #26   Jan 29, 2008 7:18 pm
Motorhead wrote:
Hi DC18,

And to me, a headlight is there for purely cosmetic reasons, just to add to the look of the cleaner.  It's a nice touch, but is it REALLY necessary?

-MH

I answered this question for DC18.  If you are vacuuming under furniture and beds, the light is useful to draw your attention to objects that should be removed before vacuuming. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #27   Jan 29, 2008 7:23 pm
mole wrote:
So when is Jimmy boy going to innovate a bumper strip into his innovations.Do the dyson faithful feel that this would be a benefit to the customer?I really would be upset when that cleaning head is crashing into my woodwork and marking it all up.I mean come on boy's even my regina electric had a rubber bumper on the nozzle.

MOLE

Hi Mole:

That's one feature that Oreck missed in its comparison to the dyson.  Oreck has a full machine wrap around rubber furniture guard.  Dyson does not.  Thanks for pointing that one out to us.

In case there is a question why a furniture guard is needed except for appearance, I would recommend banging the dyson against a baseboard, furniture leg, and door and see what happens.  Then do the same with an Oreck.  Then note the difference:  On the vacuum and the furniture, door, and/or wall.

Carmine D.

DC18

Reply #28   Jan 29, 2008 7:29 pm
I've have not really seen Dyson compare their product to a specific product ou there on the market.  Well there isn't any, only copy cats who can not come up with there own technology!  Dyson mentions other vacuums in general does not pick out own brand/model!  

Again the DC14 is not a comparsion to a Oreck.  What Oreck is trying to get at is their vacuum is lighter compared to a full size vacuum!  Job done!  No need to mention a specific brand/model!  Why not use Hoover etc... let me guess Dyson is 'different' so let use them so it stands out more!  If it was someone else no one would think twice to look at the statement/advert!

As for the bumper, earlier Dyson modesl (DC01, DC03, DC04) had a rubber bumper strip!  This was replaced on later models with the large debris inlet at the front so the rubber bumper was dropped.  I have to say I don't think there is any models in the UK that offer a soft bumper on their Upright machines anymore.  Even a bumper can leave marks behind depends what it is made of.  People should be more careful when vacuuming and not 'bash' about when doing it!  I've seen it all to often, people wilfully bashing the machines (uprights and canister heads) into skirting boards and furniture!

DC18

DC18

Reply #29   Jan 29, 2008 7:36 pm
I have accidently knocked my DC15 and DC07 into furniture in the past, both where unmarked!  To me the Oreck bumoer is too thick so you wouldn't get the suction right up to the edge like a Dyson you would have to 'relie' on the so called side brushes!

If I was vacuuming under a bed or furniture with a vacuum that had a headlight I would have to be bending down or my back to push the machine under for one and to see if there was anything under there I didn't want the vacuum to pick up!  I prefer to do a proper job and move the bed or furniture and clean under it throughly! 

DC18

Replies: 20 - 29 of 88Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42