Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
mole

Oreck/ XL 21
Original Message   Jan 19, 2008 9:54 am
How can Mr Oreck,offer a 21 year warranty ,this must be one hell of a product

MOLE

Replies: 5 - 14 of 88Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
mole

Re: Oreck/ XL 21
Reply #5   Jan 22, 2008 6:33 pm
You can come to your own assumptions on the Oreck,but what other vacuum manufacturer offer the same deal as David and company,he speaks the truth,if you dont like it after 30 days just send it back and he pays the shipping,and you can keep the gift premium.I can honestly say that no one in the industry has done,for the business what Oreck has done.

I wonder how many orecks are sold in 1 year?.

All in all it's as good as any other upright out there.If people had the choice to what vacuum they grab to houseclean.HOOVER,DYSON,ELECTROLUX,MIELE,KIRBY,RICCAR,ETC. the oreck would more than likley be the first one pulled out of the closet.

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #6   Jan 22, 2008 7:33 pm
Hi Mole:

When I was in the vacuum business I never sold new Orecks.  I repaired them.  Sold them used.  And stocked parts for them.  In over 40 years of the vacuum store business, I never heard an Oreck customer speak badly about their Orecks.  NEVER.  Just the opposite.  They praised them.   I can count on one hand the number I traded in on sales of other vacuums. 

Now I actually own and use one, the XL Classic.  And after doing so, I immediately bought 2 more new as gifts for family members.  I plan to buy more this year to gift away. 

I enjoy going into the Oreck Clean Home Centers.  I enjoy seeing the reaction on the faces of the owners/employees when I ask for Dave.  They look at me rather puzzled.  Then I relate to them that I met Dave many many years ago when he still had hair and I always consider him a friend and an industry professional.  Many don't know that he is in his 80's and a WW 11 vet. 

He is an industry icon who changed the vacuum business with his 8 pound Oreck upright. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 22, 2008 by CarmineD
Vernon

Reply #7   Jan 23, 2008 6:00 pm
I bought an Oreck 9100C at a thrift store a short while ago.  Is this unit similar to  the the XL 21??  From the instruction manual that came with it, it was bought in the early 90's.  I bought it just to tear it to pieces to see how things tick as my knowledge of Oreck products is rather limited.  I was astonished at how small and weak suction/airflow the unit produces.  I turned the fan unit and the bearing appears ok, the arc on the armature looks fine as well.  The belt and brush need replacing.  I contacted a few Oreck outlets/stores that sell them, as my main concern was about the poor filtration of the unit and it's lack of power.  I can't get a definitive answer from them.  I want better filtration than micro allergen bags (5 microns), I'm looking closer to filtrete/hepa,  and a more powerful motor.  Does one have many options with this older vintage, is it too cost prohibitive??  I guess I have to give credit where credit is do, it was in the early 90's when the original owner bought this, and some 15 or so years later, it's still running!!

Vernon
CarmineD

Reply #8   Jan 23, 2008 7:05 pm
Vernon wrote:
I bought an Oreck 9100C at a thrift store a short while ago.  Is this unit similar to  the the XL 21??  From the instruction manual that came with it, it was bought in the early 90's.  I bought it just to tear it to pieces to see how things tick as my knowledge of Oreck products is rather limited.  I was astonished at how small and weak suction/airflow the unit produces.  I turned the fan unit and the bearing appears ok, the arc on the armature looks fine as well.  The belt and brush need replacing.  I contacted a few Oreck outlets/stores that sell them, as my main concern was about the poor filtration of the unit and it's lack of power.  I can't get a definitive answer from them.  I want better filtration than micro allergen bags (5 microns), I'm looking closer to filtrete/hepa,  and a more powerful motor.  Does one have many options with this older vintage, is it too cost prohibitive??  I guess I have to give credit where credit is do, it was in the early 90's when the original owner bought this, and some 15 or so years later, it's still running!!

Vernon

Hi Vernon:

Like most vacuums of today compared to the early 90's, including Oreck, the XL is a vast improvement over its predecessors.    I admire your enthusiasm and resourcefulness.  But if I were using an Oreck daily and not just for quick pick-ups, I would opt for the XL Classic or better with the odor fighting hypo-allergenic celoc bags. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 23, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #9   Jan 25, 2008 8:58 am
Hello again,Nanook of the north.All said and done ORECK is one first class company They walk the walk and talk the talk,and have been for over 40 years.They DOMINATE the motel and hotel business,along with SANITAIRE.The XL21,is 9 pounds,it's build quality is right up there,the machine just flat out does what they say it does.

And we sell a ton of them.

The back up service is second to none......Many other vacuum manufactures can take a lesson from them.........

MOLE

Just

Reply #10   Jan 28, 2008 3:44 pm
I had always overlooked the Oreck because I had heard it wasn't a real contender as a vacuum.  My uncle asked me about an Oreck about three years ago, and I told him, "The Whats the best vacuum board said they are little more than an electric carpet sweeper."  They   had a central system installed instead and are quite happy with their choice. 

But If I have experts like Mole and Carmine D.  endorsing the Oreck, I will take look at them for myself.   

CarmineD

Reply #11   Jan 28, 2008 4:24 pm
Just wrote:
I had always overlooked the Oreck because I had heard it wasn't a real contender as a vacuum.  My uncle asked me about an Oreck about three years ago, and I told him, "The Whats the best vacuum board said they are little more than an electric carpet sweeper."  They   had a central system installed instead and are quite happy with their choice. 

But If I have experts like Mole and Carmine D.  endorsing the Oreck, I will take look at them for myself.   

Hello Just:

My friend Mole likes to say a "hokie on a stick" facetiously, of course.

I know families who were die hard users of Electrolux, Kirby, and other vacuum brands for years.  As the matriarch and patriarch in the family aged and could no longer vacuum with the full sized vacuums of their younger years, they switched over to the Oreck and were very pleased. 

My caveats are with the price and usage.  Orecks are usually sold at Estate sales for $25-$50 and well worth those prices.  Many Oreck users vacuum the open traffic areas daily and then trade off once a week and/or 2 or more times a month with a larger full sized vacuum for a thorough household cleaning  That's what I do.  The others are a HOOVER WT Supreme and canister.  The WT grooms much better than the Oreck, but the Oreck is a competitive second.  I have medium pile loop Mohawk wool carpets and ceramic tile floors with area rugs.  Oreck is ideal for cleaning both rug and floors daily with no need to shut off the brush roll and/or adjust height.  Oreck is effortless from one floor covering to another.   And my dear Wife will take out the Oreck and vacuum before she would ever use the HOOVER WT.

One more note.  I purchased the XL Classic new through a special offer with the US Humane Society and paid $150.  No other amenities and give-aways.  And a one year guarantee.  I bought two more and gifted them to family members including my daughter who is expecting her third child.  Her house is over 3000 square feet and she is using the Oreck on the main level until I install a central vacuum unit.

Plus, Oreck has Clean Home Centers around the country.  Most sell parts and service all vacuum brands, not just Orecks.  Parts and repairs are quick and easy.  If you go into one and ask about repairs, most will tell you that 80 percent of the weekly repair work are non-Oreck vacuums. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 28, 2008 by CarmineD
Just

Reply #12   Jan 28, 2008 4:49 pm
CarmineD wrote:

I know families who were die hard users of Electrolux, Kirby, and other vacuum brands for years.  As the matriarch and patriarch in the family aged and could no longer vacuum with the full sized vacuums of their younger years, they switched over to the Oreck and were very pleased. 

Carmine D.

Carmine,

This is why I stated I would look for myself.  I am not as young as I used to be.  Besides, as much as I do love my Kirby,  I am just too darn old to drag a baby elephant up and down the stairs everyday anymore.  I currently am using a Eureka Boss 402B light weight as my tidy up machine and my Kirby as my main workhorse.  The Eureka besides being a screamer with a short cord, has this tiny little filter in a cup that plugs after about three seconds of cleaning.  I would like an Oreck or Simplicity light weight for my quick jobs. 

The house I bought is an older home  with glued down carpet in the kitchen and basement.  Besides a very thick plush in the living room, dining room, hall.  Berber in the other rooms.  Two carpeted staircases wouldn't have been a problem with my Kirby before my car wreck four years ago,  but now my back won't take it too often.  Thus the highest traffic area of the home is only throughly cleaned about once a week. 

OH--BTW, If I ever catch you endorsing a Dyson.  I will start looking around for UFO's and those bodysnatchers from the Sci-Fi movies.  Because I know they've got you.

This message was modified Jan 28, 2008 by Just
CarmineD

Reply #13   Jan 28, 2008 4:59 pm
Just wrote:
Carmine,

This is why I stated I would look for myself.  I am not as young as I used to be.  Besides, as much as I do love my Kirby,  I am just too darn old to drag a baby elephant up and down the stairs everyday anymore.  I currently am using a Eureka Boss 402B light weight as my tidy up machine and my Kirby as my main workhorse.  The Eureka besides being a screamer with a short cord, has this tiny little filter in a cup that plugs after about three seconds of cleaning.  I would like an Oreck or Simplicity light weight for my quick jobs. 

The house I bought is an older home  with glued down carpet in the kitchen and basement.  Besides a very thick plush in the living room, dining room, hall.  Berber in the other rooms.  Two carpeted staircases wouldn't have been a problem with my Kirby before my car wreck four years ago,  but now my back won't take it too often.  Thus the highest traffic area of the home is only throughly cleaned about once a week. 

Just:

If you decide to buy a new Oreck, and you have an Oreck Clean Home Center near by, by all means shop there and see what kind of a deal they offer you.  I would not be surprised if they match the Oreck-USHS price on an XL Classic if you foregoe the extras and are content with a year guaranty.  And/or offer a rebuilt Oreck to you at a decent price.

You will enjoy the store venue if you've never been in one.  Oreck does a terrific job in showing the colors proudly.  Very professional.  Nice atmosphere.  And your timing may coincide with a customer's match off of an Oreck and dyson in a cleaning contest. 

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #14   Jan 28, 2008 5:31 pm
Hi Just, when father time catches up to you then you will understand why oreck sells so good.Sure they need belts and bag changes ,brush roll changes every once in a while,the parts are cheap it can be done by almost anyone,even HARDSELL,

The best comment i ever heard from an oreck customer is that she didn't have to take a nap after cleaning her carpets.

MOLE

Replies: 5 - 14 of 88Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42