Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Sears Premalite TV Ad for $379

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
CarmineD

Sears Premalite TV Ad for $379
Original Message   Dec 31, 2007 5:26 pm
I saw this ad recently on TV.  Haven't seen the vacuum up close and personal yet.  But at 16 pounds with metal alloy components and a cord winder, it appears to have some desirable features.

Carmine D.

Replies: 15 - 24 of 46Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: Sears Premalite TV Ad for $379
Reply #15   Jan 11, 2008 4:15 pm
Howdy,

While at the Sears website I of course had to check out the Premalite again.  The price has gone up to $399 but there is a $20 rebate on Kenmores over $249.  (Why not just leave it at $379?)

Most interesting is that I noticed that Sears has provided a "review" page for the Premalite and they don't limit the opinions displayed just to the favorable.  At present there are eight opinions from buyers regarding the machine.  Most are not bad but at least three out of the eight complained about broken plastic latches that were meant to hold wand/handle onto the cleaner.  You can check this out for yourselves at http://www.sears.com

Venson

This message was modified Jan 11, 2008 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #16   Feb 4, 2008 5:24 pm
In contrast to the halo, the Sears Permalite is selling decently.  Some people come in and ask for it by name to buy. 

Lightweight, tools on board.  Lifetime warranty on the headlight!!!  No complaints yet about the handle/wands joint as a weak point for stress.

Complaints about the turbo tool: Does not store on-board. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Feb 4, 2008 by CarmineD
Acerone

Reply #17   Feb 4, 2008 8:46 pm
Carmine,

I saw the Kenmore Premalite a few weeks ago at Sears and I really like it and I saw the commercial only once a few weeks back. The sales guy couldn't demo it because a piece was broken off and it wouldn't turn on.
This message was modified Feb 4, 2008 by Acerone
Acerone

Reply #18   Mar 10, 2008 11:37 pm
One of the worse vacuum cleaners... This according to sales clerk today at Sears... She said they should pull the vacuum from the market and fix the problem or just discontinue it for good...
DysonInventsBig

Reply #19   Mar 11, 2008 12:50 am
Acerone wrote:
One of the worse vacuum cleaners... This according to sales clerk today at Sears... She said they should pull the vacuum from the market and fix the problem or just discontinue it for good...

Acerone,

I have heard it is made of too thin of materials and prone to breaking and bending/denting (wand).  What did Sears say about it?        DIB

Venson

Reply #20   Mar 11, 2008 3:20 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:

Acerone,

I have heard it is made of too thin of materials and prone to breaking and bending/denting (wand).  What did Sears say about it?        DIB

Hi,

The Premalite's problem is that there are two small plastic tabs that catch and lock the wand/handle against the cleaner's body.  Save for this frailty it strikes me as no more or less sturdy than the other plastic wonders on the market today.  Hose suction is great.

Here's a link to reviews by purchasers -- http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02037060000P?keyword=premalite&sLevel=0

Why they didn't see the the problem with the latch tabs I'll never know especially since one of the main points on the website at Sears and on printed pieces in the stores is that this machine employs magnesium and aluminum as strengtheners.   The strength issue is completely negated in this case. If with the, handle was to be made properly sturdy, the Premalite might prove a perfect alternate to the Kenmore Progressive bagless canister also originated by LG and could make real competition.  However I doubt that that will happen due to the shortsightedness that let it come off the line with a serious defect in the first place.

Maybe next year . . .

Venson 

This message was modified Mar 11, 2008 by Venson
Acerone

Reply #21   Mar 11, 2008 5:35 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Acerone,</font></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"> </font></p></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">I have heard it is made of too thin of materials and prone to breaking and bending/denting (wand).<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>What did Sears say about it?<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">        </span>DIB</font>

I bought one on Ebay for $69.00 and ordered the broken piece from Sears parts department and was told I should have the part within 7 days, 30 days later no part... So I went to Sears asking if they had the part in the store and the sale clerk said no and suggested that I bring mine in for a exchange... Even though I didn't buy it from Sears... She said it's a lemon and let me exchange it for something else and I picked the Dyson DC21 canister... :)
Venson

Reply #22   Mar 11, 2008 6:04 pm
Hi Acerone,

It's highly unusual for Sears to make exchanges without the original receipts.

Venson

Acerone

Reply #23   Mar 11, 2008 6:08 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Acerone,</p><p>It's highly unusual for Sears to make exchanges without the original receipts.</p><p>Venson

I know... And guess what came today by UPS... That broken part...
CarmineD

Reply #24   Mar 12, 2008 7:53 am
VAX used the aluminum alloy handle in one piece and it appears very sturdy.  Wonder if the Premalite handle is halved to make it more compact for boxing and shipping?

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 12, 2008 by CarmineD
Replies: 15 - 24 of 46Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42