Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Sears Premalite TV Ad for $379

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
CarmineD

Sears Premalite TV Ad for $379
Original Message   Dec 31, 2007 5:26 pm
I saw this ad recently on TV.  Haven't seen the vacuum up close and personal yet.  But at 16 pounds with metal alloy components and a cord winder, it appears to have some desirable features.

Carmine D.

Replies: 10 - 19 of 46Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DysonInventsBig

Re: Sears Premalite TV Ad for $379
Reply #10   Jan 3, 2008 11:36 am

Venson,

I assumed these eBay vacuums you spoke of were simply were being stolen like much NIB, “customer return, no box”, “demo-return”, which is common for eBay pawn shop sellers and individuals who have a nice assortments of what looks to be Lowe’s merchandise and gift cards.  I witnessed first hand how easy it was for thieves steal from Lowe’s, sickening really.  I reported what I saw to the Lowe’s manager and told her it looked like lots of Lowe’s merchandise was being sold on eBay.  She said “They are very much aware of aware of this.”  I got to talking to my local Linens And Things store manager and asked how well the Dyson DC16’s were selling?  She said “Their selling well.”  I told her I see lots of what look to be stolen Dyson’s selling on eBay.  She said, “Our fist shipment of 5 Dyson handhelds were all stolen within the first week”.

They closed our Sears outlet many years ago and I forgot of their existence.  I’m fairly sure Best Buy is selling their “broken, as-is” returns, etc. on eBay.

Your idea of serial number tracking, etc. is long overdue.        DIB

Venson

Reply #11   Jan 3, 2008 1:04 pm
Hi DIB,

Theft is real issue that somehow never comes into my realm of thought when I think of household appliances.  You know, you'd suppose someone might risk jail time regarding a luxury automobile or somebody's jewelry but never a vacuum cleaner.  However, I'd guess due to hype and high prices there's a big attraction for expensive, legendary appliances.  Go figure.

The motivation for theft of small items here in New York is usually need for some drug of choice.  Thus, stolen items go for a little bit of money. 

For a time there had been a campaign led by the NYPD to get people to photograph and list serial numbers of personal possessions.  It sort of fizzled out. I guess I'll have to get a Rottweiler to guard my new blender. 

Best,

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #12   Jan 4, 2008 7:50 am
Wal*Mart, a retailer which suffers from huge dollar losses every year due to pilferage, started an inventory monitoring system several years back to control and account for merchandise from production to sale and all venues in between.  It utilizes scanning technology and bar code labels that are automated and require minimum human intervention.  Unfortunately, Wal*Mart's vendors were not as enthusiastic to comply due to the cost and trouble to implement the changes.  I'm not sure if Wal*Mart succeeded and/or scrapped the effort due to the cost and vendor objections.

The purpose was to track and account for all Wal*Mart product in numbers and dollars as soon as it was produced and shipped to Wal*Mart.  As the product moved through each point of the Wal*Mart retail cycle and chain to point of sale, the product was accounted for.  If there was pilferage and loss at any point in the cycle, managers were immediately aware and could take action.

If a shipment of widgets suddenly were missing from a warehouse and little by little were showing up on eBay for sale, the Wal*Mart auditors and investigators took action.  If the pilferage occurred at a particular store location(s), the same.  And so on.  Obviously, cost benefit analyses are needed to determine if the wholesale/retail value of the product AND risk of theft are worth the expense to bring under detailed scrutiny and stewardship.  That's where the cost accountants come in.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 4, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #13   Jan 4, 2008 8:15 am
With respect to dyson product cartons in particular (including DC16), I've noticed recently that the new boxes are secured with plastic wrap straps.  To open the dyson boxes, one has to cut off the straps, which once done, cannot be reused.  Thus repacks are easily recognizable (no wrap straps).

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #14   Jan 4, 2008 9:59 am
Most of the repacks sold on E-BAY are bought by dealers,wholesalers,or any one who has the money to buy in quantity,because the manufactures dont want them back,they send the stores either a credit or a replacement,.Our Local best buy has 35+ DYSONS  against their walls in the back room now,all returns,anyone want a deal?

MOLE

Venson

Reply #15   Jan 11, 2008 4:15 pm
Howdy,

While at the Sears website I of course had to check out the Premalite again.  The price has gone up to $399 but there is a $20 rebate on Kenmores over $249.  (Why not just leave it at $379?)

Most interesting is that I noticed that Sears has provided a "review" page for the Premalite and they don't limit the opinions displayed just to the favorable.  At present there are eight opinions from buyers regarding the machine.  Most are not bad but at least three out of the eight complained about broken plastic latches that were meant to hold wand/handle onto the cleaner.  You can check this out for yourselves at http://www.sears.com

Venson

This message was modified Jan 11, 2008 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #16   Feb 4, 2008 5:24 pm
In contrast to the halo, the Sears Permalite is selling decently.  Some people come in and ask for it by name to buy. 

Lightweight, tools on board.  Lifetime warranty on the headlight!!!  No complaints yet about the handle/wands joint as a weak point for stress.

Complaints about the turbo tool: Does not store on-board. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Feb 4, 2008 by CarmineD
Acerone

Reply #17   Feb 4, 2008 8:46 pm
Carmine,

I saw the Kenmore Premalite a few weeks ago at Sears and I really like it and I saw the commercial only once a few weeks back. The sales guy couldn't demo it because a piece was broken off and it wouldn't turn on.
This message was modified Feb 4, 2008 by Acerone
Acerone

Reply #18   Mar 10, 2008 11:37 pm
One of the worse vacuum cleaners... This according to sales clerk today at Sears... She said they should pull the vacuum from the market and fix the problem or just discontinue it for good...
DysonInventsBig

Reply #19   Mar 11, 2008 12:50 am
Acerone wrote:
One of the worse vacuum cleaners... This according to sales clerk today at Sears... She said they should pull the vacuum from the market and fix the problem or just discontinue it for good...

Acerone,

I have heard it is made of too thin of materials and prone to breaking and bending/denting (wand).  What did Sears say about it?        DIB

Replies: 10 - 19 of 46Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42