Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > TTI Introduced to Kenmore Line

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

TTI Introduced to Kenmore Line
Original Message   Oct 13, 2007 7:23 pm
 Well, we knew that Techtronics Industries received a contract to create vacuum cleaners for Sears' Kenmore line.  Over the summer they started w/the budget Kenmore bagless upright that was often on sale for approx. $69.99.  Now they have gone "full force" and introduced alot more TTI-made machines to Sears.  TTI has made approximately 10 models for Sears.  I have to say that it is sad to see the many new vacuum cleaners and very little of the Matsus h ita-made uprights.

IMHO, these new vacuum cleaners are not like what Sears has had in the past.  You can have a better understanding of what I mean as you touch the vacuum cleaners.  The design of these uprights makes the vacuums look large.  Their "handle weight" is going to be on the heavier side.  There are different bagless configurations, including one using the same dual filtering chambers as the DD Reaction.  There are even bagged versions called Progressive.  I have to say that this series is alittle bit harder to maneuver than the Panasonic-made uprights.  They are also louder, IMHO.  There are a few things that I do like and that is that they do have power.  They were not weak at all.  They will do fine at cleaning carpeting if the vacuum cleaner is maintained.  The rug/floor pedal(on some models) is a big improvement over the design of the Panasonic uprights.  The brushroll stops/starts w/only a simple press of the pedel, whereas the Panasonic requires a quick and steady press of the pedel.  Some owners had difficulty w/the feature, which lead to broken belts.

I have to say that one of the models is interesting.  It is called the Premalite.  It is the most espensive of all the TTI uprights.  It is an interesting design and looks futuristic.  It uses a different filtering system compared to the other machines in the line.  I like the fact that all one needs to do for above the floor cleaning is to release the wand.  There are no hoses to switch, attach, wands to extend, etc.  The Premalite has many "bells & whistles".

This message was modified Nov 1, 2007 by Mike_W
Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: TTI Introduced to Kenmore Line
Reply #4   Oct 14, 2007 5:52 pm
Hey DIB,

The PDF of the patent application was fantastic.  Per its date, it stands about seven or eight years prior to release of the Hoover Dial-A-Matic though the design was nothing like it. 

Handle and pivot placement can affect points of balance which also have a lot to do with the comfort you may or may not sense when operating a vacuum.  Considering design necessities upon the arrival of the bagless hard-bodied clean air upright, it's been a while since many vacuum makers have appeared to worry over either bagged or bagless types' ability to be passed under a bed or sofa.  Dyson, for one solves its problem by offering an optional combo tool for floors.  Some other brands also offer or include extras like this.

Did you note that per the image the  Premalite wand is oval and not typically round?  I am going to look around to see what attachments are offered and if any are for floor duty.

Venson

DysonInventsBig

no subject
Reply #5   Oct 16, 2007 3:43 pm
This message was modified Oct 23, 2007 by DysonInventsBig

Venson

Reply #6   Oct 16, 2007 4:31 pm
 Thanks for the info DIB.  Did your friend say anything about what attachments are supplied with the cleaner?  So far, from the likes of the Progressive "Iridiium" bagless and this new machine, LG has done a great job at keeping "baglessness" nicer to deal with.  I wish they, LG, Nilfisk and Luxe, would introduce more of the product they push in Europe to the U.S.  It would certainly make the market here much more interesting.

Thanks,

Venson

Venson

Reply #7   Oct 18, 2007 12:27 am

Hi all,

The following is half rant and half rave.  As far as ranting goes . . .

There are those who never fail to shoot themselves in the foot the moment the least opportunity arises.  To my mind, the people in charge at Sears regarding the sales push for outsourced vacuums bearing the Kenmore brand suit the description to a tee.  They are always vague about details that might make prospective shoppers more interested.

The Kenmore Progressive Bagless canister is a good machine that might get farther if a little more positive, aggressive and enthusiastic sales effort  -- really “talking it up” I mean -- was applied in its behalf.  I noticed, though seemingly that oddball relative others in the family never discuss, it was still on display in Rego Park, New York’s Sears vacuum department tonight when I went to look over the new Kenmore Premalite upright.  Why Sears’ feckless promo people haven’t tried harder here I’ll never know.  Maybe Dyson’s paying them off.

I fear the same lackluster push for the Kenmore Premalite upright may be more than likely.

The Kenmore Premalite is indeed a good upright vacuum though I would think it better priced nearer the $300 mark instead of the $379 it was tagged tonight.  But that’s strictly my opinion.  Of the five in stock at the store, all have been snapped up.

The Premalite’s a bit of a stunner when it comes to looks but also a bit of a deceiver too.  First look at the machine and I thought to myself, “Oh sure, this is a featherweight.”  Then I lifted it at what’s usually the “no-no” area – the handhold attached at the top of the dust collection bin.  It is surprisingly lighter than it looks.  It hung there on just one hand and I had not the slightest feeling that something would come loose and cause the machine to drop to the floor.

This vacuum is average sounding by way of decibel level.  Nothing to rave about but not loud enough to foster rational complaint.  The dust bin seems to provide a little more space than usual for collected dirt and dust below its shroud area.  On the other hand, the Premalite’s cleaning swath is in no way remarkable but that may be a boon in concentrating the generous suction this 12 amp machine supplies.

Onboard are only a tool for dusting that you may also use on upholstery and a crevice tool.  Both fit at the back of the machine surrounded by the vac’s generous 30-foot cord when wound.  Nonetheless, a suction-powered tool with revolving brush is also included AND per the skinny from the saleswoman in that department, though not on display, a bare floor tool is provided.  It doesn’t get any better than that.

Controls for powering the motor on and off, raising or lowering motor speed and stopping or starting the brush roll are all right there in front of the dust bin handle.  Just before these is a button release for the cleaning wand and the stretch hose situated directly behind it.  The cleaning wand is slightly curved and though its back portion is rounded, its front is partially flattened and – drawback --has a plastic end piece.  The metal wand locks onto the hose handle but attachments are friction fit.  Generic tools will not be suitable for use with this machine.  It should also be noted that, like the Hoover “Z”, the hose and wand do not deliver suction to the cleaner’s base for floor and rug cleaning.  There is a valve system in play that opens to allow hose suction when machine is locked in the upright position.  When the handle-release peddle is pressed and the cleaner is tilted back for floor and rug cleaning the air path to the hose and wand are blocked and an air path for the cleaner base opens.  Also, as with the Z, it would be good to remember not to allow the cleaner to run with wand locked in place while idle and in upright position.

The clear part of the base housing makes knowing whether the brush roll is on or off a no brainer.  Guide lights at back of the brush roll housing indicate level of motor speed on one side and carpet height setting on the other.  I did not open the dust bin to check its inner formation or the placement of filters.

Since I haven’t take one home (yet) I will not speculate on all aspects of actual performance in the trenches but will most confidently say that this machine has the look of a keeper.

Best,

Venson

This message was modified Oct 18, 2007 by Venson
DysonInventsBig

no subject
Reply #8   Oct 18, 2007 5:48 pm

Venson

Reply #9   Oct 18, 2007 9:34 pm
Hi DIB

"It has its own nozzle motor didn’t it?"

Yes the Premalite uses a two-motor system.

"What kind of warrantee comes with this LG?"

As far as warranty goes, you've got me there.  I am sure the cleaner has at least a one-year guarantee but mention of exact warranty length is conspicuously absent on the Premalite's web page as well as in the brochure offered next to the model I saw on display in the store.  However, no matter how you try, you can be sure you won't miss word of the "Protection Agreement" that you may buy.  $49.99 covers three years and $29.99 covers two years.  Thus a vacuum selling for $379 to $399 now can add up to a near $450 deal.  That should not be.

"Good to see LG design their own high efficiency cyclones and position them their own way and not do a knock-off Dyson as did Bissell and Dirt Devil."

I agree.  I don't necessarily have an appreciation for all things LG but I admire the company's attempts to innovate while keeping quality and style in mind.  In comparison to many brands, newer and older, LG looks near to a class act.  Bissell and Dirt Devil usually pander to a public that wants cheap solutions to household cleaning issues.  When the product breaks down or degrades and becomes barely serviceable after the six-month to one-year mark, they usually don't complain much about the buck-fifty they lost.  They just go out and buy another one.

"The automatically switching of the airflow from nozzle to hose/wand was tthis a Dyson invention or others?"

Hands-on, I am only aware of the automatic air path switching by way of the Hoover Z -- which by the way doesn't have two-thirds the hose suction that the Permalite does. 

"Was the wands hose sloppily routed or neatly and cleanly routed (no dangling)."

Since the machine I saw was brand new, there was no sign of fault based on wear-and-tear.  The Premalite stretch hose contracts and fits neatly in the place intended for it and the wand locks in place securely and there is no "play" when pushing the machine back and forth.

Regards,

Venson

Kirby

Reply #10   Oct 19, 2007 12:05 am
I think the Hoover PowerMax, late 80's or early 90s' not the Z  was the first Hoover to have that auto tool conversion regulated by the handle being down or locked in the upright position.  Mine has it
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #11   Oct 19, 2007 4:22 am
The Kenmore Premalite is a vacuum cleaner that will go far.  This full sized upright is not heavy at all.  What is also important is that there is no "handle weight" when the handle is lowered for carpet cleaning.  Wow!  This upright can be pushed w/one finger.  The "handle weight" can be compared w/Tacony Corps. Riccar Supralite/Simplicity Freedom uprights.  It is so easy to push and pull across the carpeting. 

This upright has a smaller footprint compared to other uprights.  Its largest/widest part is the cleaning head(front).  It helps to give the illusion of a smaller machine.  The Premalite uses a smaller motor to drive the brushroll.  The brushroll and motor are connected by a belt that will not need to be changed for a long time.

The hose fits nicely behind the aluminum wand when stored.  The wand is very comfortable to use, but it may take some getting use to.  I say this, since it is slightly curved.  There is a plastic ring at the bottom of the wand, but this is not a bad thing.  I made mention of the advantages of a plastic end of a wand in the past.  Running a metal wand over some surfaces can scratch.  Having a plastic piece running over some surfaces will do less harm.  Also, having a plastic ring at the end will help the wand to keep its shape.  There are some instances where the end of an aluminum wand can get bent when it is hit against a hard surface.  This does happen, since not everyone babies their vacuum cleaners.  The plastic ring will help w/the problem.

The mini turbo brush attachment does work well on the Premalite.  It was able to clean surfaces w/o slowing down.  The other attachments are not anything special, but the dusting brush/upholstry attachment does have decent bristles though.  I do not believe that there is a floor brush w/this vacuum cleaner.

Kenmore's Premalite will be a vacuum cleaner that people will not mind using.  The introductory price tag is rather high for a "big box" vacuum cleaner, but like I have seen over the decades, the price will fall after a while.  They ALL  do!  The vacuum is already on sale this week.

This message was modified Oct 19, 2007 by Mike_W
DysonInventsBig

no subject
Reply #12   Oct 20, 2007 3:59 pm

sfosweeperuser

Reply #13   Oct 20, 2007 9:46 pm
All of this discussion, particularly about Kenmore, is very helpful and interesting.  I'm going to share it with our local Sears store, which is an independent franchise that carries Dyson, Kenmore, Eureka, and Hoover.  I'm also going to suggest that he click onto the AbbysGuide vacuum cleaner discussions.

Since my name is Jim Kirby, I was interested in the post from Kirby!

Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42