Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > The Amazing Rainbow - the first vacuum to not lose suction

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonIsOverrated

The Amazing Rainbow - the first vacuum to not lose suction
Original Message   Sep 25, 2007 10:54 am
Technically, the Rainbow vacuum was the first to not lose suction.  It uses a more primitive dual cyclone design with water as a pre-filter.   If the Rainbow didn't have such a ridiculously high price and clumsy power nozzle, it would be a pretty good vacuum.  I don't know why they require you to hold a button down to keep the power nozzle operating.  One would think that they would use a simple 2-way switch.  All that on/off cycling can't possibly be good for the power nozzle motor.   The Rainbow uses an innovative brushless motor.  It would be a pretty good $800 vacuum with a better power nozzle. 
Replies: 8 - 17 of 31Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: The Amazing Rainbow - the first vacuum to not lose suction
Reply #8   Oct 4, 2007 1:27 pm
Hi mole,

Speaking of central vacuum systems, are there any self-contained types that you might recommend for condo or co-op owners?

Venson

mole

Reply #9   Oct 4, 2007 1:43 pm
Hi Venson, there are a few centrals that would merit looking into for condo applications.

1 the sweep away by GALAXIE SYSTEMS[very new to the market]

2 the vax system by nutone

3 the condo lux by aerus/electrolux

mole

mark40511

Reply #10   Oct 5, 2007 7:32 pm
There are two hepa filters? I only see one....and it's still bright white..I looked through the manual and see nothing about a 2nd hepa. How do I change it and how often should it be changed when machine is used properly? For those who rebuild Rainbows..I'd be curious to see what the inside of a properly used one looks like after years of use.
mole

Reply #11   Oct 6, 2007 9:03 am
Hi Mark,it's called an internal air filter,part#R-7287es.The unit has to come apart to change it.It's not listed in the manual,and even the rainbow sales people dont know it's there because rexair doesnt want them to know about it.So much for water filtering the air..................

mole

mark40511

Reply #12   Oct 6, 2007 3:46 pm
I did some looking and found that the E1 Rainbow has an internal cooling filter but not the E2.

mole

Reply #13   Oct 7, 2007 11:08 am
Hi Mark,according to rexair in troy your e2 uses an internal cooling filter,sort of looks like an automotive,round air cleaner........

mole

mark40511

Reply #14   Oct 7, 2007 1:13 pm
I noticed a website offering every product for eash model...The e1 model they offered the internal cooling filter...But for the e2..they didn't..SO this internal cooling..Is this hepa?
mole

Reply #15   Oct 7, 2007 2:47 pm
Hi Mark,no it's not a hepa rated filter,my only quess would be a pre hepa filter,that is used for cooling and air deflection,the reason for it being there is really undefined,My figuring is for when consumer reports rates the machine,it cuts down on the emmisions for the period of the testing.

mole

Venson

Reply #16   Oct 8, 2007 12:21 pm
Hi Mole,

I think this would mean that the Rainbow may have a true by-pass system that compartmentalizes the motor and fan chambers.  Air coming into the suction port is not used to cool the motor but exhausts separately as in many wet-and-dry shop vacs. The second filter would be used to clean air brought in to air inlets meant expressly for cooling the motor.  If this is the arrangement, it helps to ward off motor damage due to accidents if the machine is tipped or over-filled and I would thnk may even lower shock hazard in such cases.  In my soap suds story, the Rainbow D2 I had began to sputter as the foam got past the fans and into the armature area of the motor. I unplugged it before it could short out.

Hey Mark, um-m . . . could we take yours apart for a look? :)

Best,

Venson

DysonInventsBig

no subject
Reply #17   Oct 8, 2007 2:05 pm
This message was modified Oct 23, 2007 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 8 - 17 of 31Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42