Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > The Amazing Rainbow - the first vacuum to not lose suction

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonIsOverrated

The Amazing Rainbow - the first vacuum to not lose suction
Original Message   Sep 25, 2007 10:54 am
Technically, the Rainbow vacuum was the first to not lose suction.  It uses a more primitive dual cyclone design with water as a pre-filter.   If the Rainbow didn't have such a ridiculously high price and clumsy power nozzle, it would be a pretty good vacuum.  I don't know why they require you to hold a button down to keep the power nozzle operating.  One would think that they would use a simple 2-way switch.  All that on/off cycling can't possibly be good for the power nozzle motor.   The Rainbow uses an innovative brushless motor.  It would be a pretty good $800 vacuum with a better power nozzle. 
Replies: 1 - 10 of 31NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: The Amazing Rainbow - the first vacuum to not lose suction
Reply #1   Sep 25, 2007 2:14 pm
Hi Dyson is,

To the best of my recollection the Rexair/Rainbow was never pitched as a no-suction loss machine.  What was promised was clean air emission by way of the contained "rain storm" in the water pan.  Also, cyclonic was a term never used in any Rainbow or Rexair pitches or ads.  The design uses incoming air to stir up the water in the water pan to wet down and capture the dirt in the incoming air stream. The spinning separator repels water droplets laden with dirt while allowing air to pass through.  In theory this was a great idea but lacking in real effectiveness depsite manufacturer's claims.  As you see, they got around to including after-filtering.  Usually when you take one of these apart the sight is not pretty.

The switch on the hose for the power nozzle is a safety device something like the dead-man's bar on a power lawn mower.  If you let go the motor stops.  Maybe it is a bit of a nuisance but it would make me feel better if I had young-uns around while I was cleaning.  The most notable thng about kids and household accidents is that they so often occur with just a momentary turn of the eye. Not many manufacturers think of stuff like that.  Vacuum cleaners bearing the same along with lights to let you know the machine is actually plugged in are to be commended -- even if not hte greatest performers -- for the acknowledgment of home safety issues.

Rainbow, as a very intersting piece of science, would be a good buy at about at around the $500 mark -- it probably takes about half of that to make one.  What must be remembered is that the use of water as the filtering medium causes the bothersome inconvenience of a lot of extra wait.  As well, Rainbows should not be run -- and  I'm pushing it -- for more than 15 or 20 minutes without a water change and clean up and proper storage after use are a must if you want to keep one in tip-top order.  That extra fuss may well detract from the value of this machine to possible buyers and may discourage daily use when it is a household's only or primary vacuum.

The vacuum of note that uses cyclonic is the Filter Queen which for years maintained good suction between emptyings due to air being directed to swirl around the filter cone it uses in place of a bag.  Even ths only lasts for so long once dirt begins to build up behind the metal piece inside the dust container that induces the air swirl.  Nonetheless, the tank is of a generous size and you can clean several times before you need to empty the machine.

Best,

Venson

This message was modified Sep 25, 2007 by Venson
mole

Reply #2   Sep 30, 2007 12:01 pm
The rainbows way of dirt filtration was really born out of accident,the investors in the program were loosing their shirts,and in a desperation move the enginers put water in the pan,and it worked and the famous rexair/rainbow company was saved...........
This message was modified Sep 30, 2007 by mole
Venson

Reply #3   Sep 30, 2007 9:21 pm
Thanks for mentioning that mole.  That's quite true.

Regards,

Venson

mole

Reply #4   Oct 2, 2007 9:52 am
Hi Venson, the problems with both the rainbow and filter queen is that they are very user unfriendly.The same complaints over and over again,heavy,$#%*bersome,to much of a hassle to use.Thes machines are products that are antiquated,and sold in an antiquated way,like kirby...........

mole

Venson

Reply #5   Oct 3, 2007 1:54 pm
Hi mole,

Point well taken but of the two, I never thought Filter Qeen was such a bad deal for the relatively young and/or able-bodied.  Weight differences weren't all that significant between it and other machines during its heyday when you recall what the very popular Electroluxes and Hoovers of the time weighed. 

I bought my first brand new one m-m-m years ago when they came out with the very first power nozzle -- the little 10 - or 11-inch German add-on  -- and the caster set with cord reel.  I had of course often worked with older models prior to buying.  Filter Queen's best points were that you could clean quite well, in my case, for near a month without emptying, great air filtration, well-made and highly efficient attachments. FQ when tested as a straight suction machine usually got good scores for surface litter pick on carpeting and long before the little electric or air-driven mini-nozzles appeared the FQ's slide-on brush for the upholstery nozzle was hard to beat. It also provided perfect air exhaust placement and very quiet operation. The caster set with cord reel did prove a problem on stairs.  Models with the regular cord could easily be detached from the wheel set and stair cleaning was no big deal.

I can on ocassion forgive extra weight if a machine is well-made and durable.  If you got a few miles of carpet to cover and need good dirt capacity Kirby, though I'd strongly suggest getting a decent but light canister for above the floor use, I can also forgive Kirby because because the newer models are quite good on carpet.  What cannot be excused is overly inflated price.  If either FQ or Kirby were puchasable for around $600 when new they'd be a sensible enough choice for larger homes. 

As for Rainbow, as I always say, it constitutes a nice but now unneeded science experiment.  On an ongoing basis, who needs all the futzing around?

Best,

Venson

mark40511

Reply #6   Oct 4, 2007 3:29 am
Rainbow owner here..E2 2 speed. I just wanted to say that at my job they are forcing us overtime six days a week and I havn't had time to get out the rainbow because I agree to get it out is really an all day event! So I been using the Kenmore canister because it's quicker. But..Since i havn't used it in a couple of months...I can tell a pretty big difference with dust..I'm pretty good at changing the water way before it gets gross. But according to what I've read..even with doing that my machine will still get dirty inside. I notice nothing but a clean smell when turned on..SO if these are so vile inside..shouldnt  I smell it? Anyway..it is a pain to use but I still would not want to be without it to give the house a good cleaning a few times a year. Theres a big difference to me..The house stays cleaner longer when it's used.
mole

Reply #7   Oct 4, 2007 8:58 am
Hi Mark,given that your e-2 is under a year old,the lower endof the motor should still be nice and clean,you are one of the few that use your machine properly.I would suggest changing the internal hepa filter,there is also one inside the machine,the exhaust filter is on the back of the machine behind the the grill where you wrap the cord around the hooks,that danged machine should have a cord reel for that price.For the price of this portable cleaner, and others, CENTRAL VACUUMS are  the way to go.

mole........

Venson

Reply #8   Oct 4, 2007 1:27 pm
Hi mole,

Speaking of central vacuum systems, are there any self-contained types that you might recommend for condo or co-op owners?

Venson

mole

Reply #9   Oct 4, 2007 1:43 pm
Hi Venson, there are a few centrals that would merit looking into for condo applications.

1 the sweep away by GALAXIE SYSTEMS[very new to the market]

2 the vax system by nutone

3 the condo lux by aerus/electrolux

mole

mark40511

Reply #10   Oct 5, 2007 7:32 pm
There are two hepa filters? I only see one....and it's still bright white..I looked through the manual and see nothing about a 2nd hepa. How do I change it and how often should it be changed when machine is used properly? For those who rebuild Rainbows..I'd be curious to see what the inside of a properly used one looks like after years of use.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 31NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42