Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Follow up on Power pruner

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mikefla1

Let's get it!!!

Follow up on Power pruner
Original Message   Mar 19, 2005 10:24 pm
Hey guys, well I ran across a pruner for sale today. It's  a Sthil model # HT101 I looked it up the saw runs for around 600.00 new. Well it was used 3 times he said the bar has one scrach on it, and the rest of the saw looked show room new. I bought it for 500.00 he had the recipt and the paper work for it. I asked him why he was selling it he said he bought it to cut down a couple of limbs and doesn't need it no more. Kinda sounds funny but oh well I got it. Anyone have this saw? thanks mike

Exmark 48inch & Bridges 36inch walkbehind, Scotts 21 inch walk behind mower,Husqvarna trimmer and blower, Echo PE200 edger,Weedeater & Stihl HL45C hedge trimmers,Echo CS440 chain saw and a Stihl HT101 power pruner, and a El Cheapo pressure washer.
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
mikefla1

Let's get it!!!

Re: Follow up on Power pruner
Reply #1   Mar 20, 2005 8:03 am
Hey guys another thing a friend of mine told me. The best thing to run in these saws is not bar oil. He said to get any oil that is red in color. He said for some reason oil red in color sticks better to the saw. Guess he is talking bout tranny oil? Any thoughts?

Exmark 48inch & Bridges 36inch walkbehind, Scotts 21 inch walk behind mower,Husqvarna trimmer and blower, Echo PE200 edger,Weedeater & Stihl HL45C hedge trimmers,Echo CS440 chain saw and a Stihl HT101 power pruner, and a El Cheapo pressure washer.
Vangellis

Dream more easy in the chair that really fits you.

Reply #2   Mar 20, 2005 9:06 am
Hi Mike. Last year an OPE dealer up here had a Sthil pole pruner for sale and that was the price, $600. I'm not sure of the model #, but it was definetly a nice unit. I was shopping them last year and although I have a lot of trees on my property, I couldn't  justify the cost in my mind. I use Husqvarna chain oil in my Husky 141 saw, and it is red in color. Not sure if they are all like that. Sounds like a good deal. Let us know how it works.

Good luck,    Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
mikefla1

Let's get it!!!

Reply #3   Mar 20, 2005 11:48 am
Hey Vangellis,I just came in a few minutes ago from using it. It seemed to be a little cold natured, but as soon as i got her warmed up man she worked like a charm. If i was just gonna buy one for around the house I'd have to go with you on the price. But I'm hoping to make a little money with it while doing my yards.

Later Mike

spottedpony

Reply #4   Mar 21, 2005 9:31 pm
What does stihl recommend as chain lube? i'd stay with mfgrs recommendations. Ive used many different brands of chain oil through the years, and seen it in many colors, ranging from a natural oil color, to red, blue and green. the common property of all these oils is its very "sticky" and adhires to the bar and chain well, where other types of oil will have more of a tendancy to sling off, and not provide adiquate lubrication. Personally ive never had a problem with lack of lube to a chain or bar with chain oil, and the only time ive ever altered, was to thin the bar oil, per mfgrs recommendations for sub zero tempratures.
Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Reply #5   Mar 22, 2005 12:01 am
Trans fluid is way to thin to use for chain lube IMHO.  Buy a proper chain oil.  I to have seen in blue, red, brown.  Why risk usin' anything that could be sub par in probably the most potentially dangerous piece of OPE ever created??
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #6   Mar 22, 2005 5:25 pm
buy the best oil for it you can find.

its not like your gonna cut up 10 cord of firewood or anything.

its a pruner...very handy and a good one but you cant possibly use it that much compared to a chainsaw.

so you wont use that much oil so the good stuff is cost effective.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
mikefla1

Let's get it!!!

Reply #7   Mar 22, 2005 7:17 pm
I got to run up to the mower shop this weekend to buy some blades for the mowers, I'll see what all he's got. Thank you for the info. later, mike

Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42